• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
President Donald Trump and others provoked the swarms of his supporters that stormed the U.S. Capitol, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday.

The remarks from McConnell, R-Ky., came as he and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., worked to hash out details on Trump's impending impeachment trial.

"The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people," McConnell said on the Senate floor, which two weeks earlier had been evacuated after the crowd of rioters invaded the building.

www.cnbc.com

Trump provoked deadly Capitol riot, Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell says

McConnell's remarks came as he and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer work to hash out details on Trump's impending impeachment trial.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Sounds like he's leaning towards conviction but I'm not holding my breath for him following through, even less optimistic he brings enough Republican senators on board. Hope I'm wrong.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I didn't have Trump convicted by the Senate on my bingo card for 2021 and I may regret the oversight.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I would love if someone could photoshop Trump getting stabbed in the back by Mitch here:
DFsHUtAXgAA9vj4.jpg

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I see Mitch's trying to Salvage the GOP now. You created this monster and now you have to live with it. Possibility that recovering might be very difficult to the next 8 to 16 years from this. Especially if he's being impeached and removed from office, which would leave a black stain on Republicans.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I see Mitch's trying to Salvage the GOP now. You created this monster and now you have to live with it. Possibility that recovering might be very difficult to the next 8 to 16 years from this. Especially if he's being impeached and removed from office, which would leave a black stain on Republicans.

Yeah, there is no coming back from this.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck Mitch, the monster you helped to create will now become your worst nightmare.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Trump is a threat to McConnell's scheming and long-term planning. He's going to crush him while he's weak.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's trying. Won't work.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can see him going for a conviction just to keep Trump away from future elections and try and help preserve his version of the GOP instead. He isn't doing it because it's the best choice for America.

It's easier to try and save face after Trump leave office.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
"I want Biden to think we can work together and mitigate as many progressive policies as possible for the sake of bipartisanship."
"Until I get the majority again.."

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Trump blew the GOP out of the water in the House and Executive, and his antics cost Mitch his job in the Senate. Now that the idiot is no longer useful, it's time for Mitch to purge him from the party and try to rebuild.

If they are serious about purging him, they need to vote to remove and bar him from future office or they will just end up fighting against his rhetoric in 2024.

Was the complete collapse of the party worth it for three SC justices? In Mitch's mind, probably

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

Honestly, the only way I can see them recover is if they actually gave a damn about everyone. Also If Trump is back on the ticket in 2024, dont expect Dem voters to slack off. The ony chance they really have is to distance themselves from that madman.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
"They were provoked by the president and other powerful people."
"Definitely not me though. OTHER powerful people."

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
He's reclaiming back the GOP because he still holds some power when Biden becomes president and he obviously don't want to appeal to trolls, gamer cosplayers, spoiled rich kids, and backwood rednecks. He obviously want the donors back.

Still, a big fuck you to Mitch.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Credit to Mitch McConnell, he's jumping off the ship on day 1,460 of 1,461 in Trump's presidency.

Still, cynicism aside, I'm glad that he's saying it, because it's not a common position in the GOP. At Trump's impeachment proceedings last week, all but 10 Republicans defended Trump, and only one Republican in a leadership position in the GOP caucus criticized him or primarily blamed him for the riot. Mitch doesn't do anything that isn't in self-preservation mode, he always has a motive, but I think his motives and mine are aligned when it comes to convicting Trump in the senate. Or at least, our motives are different but our goals are aligned.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
This basically just cold calculations on his part - cut off the Trumpism from the party, deal with the consequences, put enough time in between throwing the Trumpers to the wolves and the next election that the base will have basically just forgotten about it all and moved onto the next shiny object.

McConnell got what he wanted out of Trump, he has no use for him anymore and doesn't want to have to manage his rabid cultists.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Powerful people as in... you Mitch?

Maybe him throwing Trump under the bus like this is a good sign that he has talked to other Senators and there are enough to convict? Can't have Trump making that $220k pension.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Chaos is a ladder. He is betting that the GOP throws away Trump, but I don't think they will.