• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
TIL we can embed TikTok videos in this forum.

Shame, an Argentinian group is redoing Simpsons scenes in live action and Latin American dubbing. They're really good.

Also, fuck this thread, you're going "old man yells at clouds" territory, I can understand limiting CCP reach on information, but mocking kids for using a platform? Sheesh.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I love how he's all concerned that China is using TikTok to gather data and spy on us, yet other large social media sites like Facebook or Twitter are conicidentally overlooked. Just another excuse to swipe at China with the added benefit of supressing dissenters here in the US.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
One would want to believe he is doing this because the app is a big a cyber security threat. But we all know it's because those Tik Tok kids are embarrassing him.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
yeah and so does every app, wont be a strong argument in court.
Eh, I'm not that concerned about the legality when it comes to my sentiments on this.

I don't know if TikTok in particular is a national security concern. If it was, however, I would be fine with the US government banning it, regardless of whether or not domestic companies engaged in the same behavior, because information *can* be powerful and weaponized.

I think a lot of the reactions here and generally in the US hinge on sinophobia, of course, especially when it comes to TikTok. However, I do honestly see why (in a vacuum) a choice like this would be made. National security is more important to me than capitalism.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know people here dislike social media, but are you fuckers seriously cheering on this type of blatant first amendment violation? Like if Trump was able to get away with this it would be a huge blow to free speech, because it sets a precedent that shutting down platforms like this is ok. He doesn't even need to shut down more, because the threat that he could will be planted into the heads of other social networking services

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory generalizations.
Old men yelling at clouds in this thread except they're yelling alongside Trump and supporting censorship and authoritarianism.
Yeah, I wish the people that are putting people in concentration camps by the millions were free to make money in the US too.

Now I know that Trump isn't doing this to put pressure against the human rights abuses but this is great nonetheless.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish the people that are putting people in concentration camps by the millions were free to make money in the US too.

Now I know that Trump isn't doing this to put pressure against the human rights abuses but this is great nonetheless.
Tiktok is going to be a drop in the bucket for the CCP. I'm all on board for sanctions on China while their genocide and human rights violations are ongoing, but there are plenty of avenues you could use to achieve that without threatening free speech in the US if that was your actual goal

timesolo

Apr 5, 2019
Texas
Don't think president has the power, or at least shouldn't, have the power to ban anything. What does the constitution say about this? Sometimes it seems people back something they agree with without considering the consequences... That being said, I am not a fan of Tik Tok.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Internet forum nerds will do all sorts of mental gymnastics to make sure we know they aren't "normies" who use popular apps and in fact want them banned.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Old men yelling at clouds in this thread except they're yelling alongside Trump and supporting censorship and authoritarianism.
I'm not for banning TikTok, but this statement reads a little ironic considering TikTok's track record regarding censorship.

Of course, Trump doesn't have a shred of diplomatic capability to navigate such things, and we know that his wanting to ban it is entirely out of self-interest and nothing more. The cheering for it here is... definitely embarrassing.

Last edited:

timesolo

Apr 5, 2019
Texas
I banned Tik Tok from my phone when I uninstalled it 2 years ago. I also told my students to do the same. That shit is totally not appropriate, it's fucking crazy.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Valid security concerns aside, this reeks of fear because TikTok is the first big non-American social media app. The US does not want to lose their online monopoly I guess?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Tiktok is going to be a drop in the bucket for the CCP. I'm all on board for sanctions on China while their genocide and human rights violations are ongoing, but there are plenty of avenues you could use to achieve that without threatening free speech in the US if that was your actual goal
Ban everything, if this was 1939 and we knew about the concentration camps we wouldn't be arguing for Hugo Boss to be allowed to continue to do business in the US.

If the US doesn't take the hit from putting economic sanctions on China no other country is going to do anything about it.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
If pulled off, would be the first good thing Trump has done in presidency. Never thought I would see this day.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Of course, Trump doesn't have a shred of diplomatic capability to navigate such things, and we know that his wanting to ban it is entirely out self-interest and nothing more. The cheering for it here is... definitely embarrassing.

It really is. This is the same man who just recently mused about investigating anti-Trump Twitter trends as a crime. He's not talking about banning Tik-Tok out of some higher purpose. It's all self-interest for him. Probably saw a Sarah Cooper video. lol

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
1. How can he even enforce this even if he does sign something about it tomorrow? Did he somehow make a plan overnight to get Apple and Google to pull it off the app stores? I really doubt he can.
2. Everyone here saying "Good bye and good riddance" or something like that really needs to take a step back and think about what you're saying. "Fascism is cool if it's getting rid of an app I don't care for." TikTok isn't any hate speech platform or something, it's just an app where the kids do silly dances and repeat the same joke. I don't care for it either, and actually banning it would set a HORRIBLE precedent.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ban everything, if this was 1939 and we knew about the concentration camps we wouldn't be arguing for Hugo Boss to be allowed to continue to do business in the US.

If the US doesn't take the hit from putting economic sanctions on China no other country is going to do anything about it.
Sure, but then you have to commit to actually doing that from the start. But that's clearly not what's happening here and not why Trump is doing it so we should consider the implications of how and why he's doing it the way he is before suggesting this is a good thing

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
There's plenty of massive non-American apps overseas actually. LINE comes to mind (Japanese I think in origin). Used by everyone in east asia. Wechat in China.
They are not big outside of their region. And they are more like messaging clients.
TikTok is global like MySpace/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat are/were.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I feel like you'd need really strong evidence that this is actually the case for that to fly as a reason
I mean, I don't think it's solely attributable to this administration's usual xenophobic attitudes. Even the Biden campaign and entire DNC has told its staffers to delete the app. There are massive permissions and security holes from an app owned by a Chinese company. It doesn't take much effort to connect the dots to warrant concern.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I'm not that concerned about the legality when it comes to my sentiments on this.

I don't know if TikTok in particular is a national security concern. If it was, however, I would be fine with the US government banning it, regardless of whether or not domestic companies engaged in the same behavior, because information *can* be powerful and weaponized.

I think a lot of the reactions here and generally in the US hinge on sinophobia, of course, especially when it comes to TikTok. However, I do honestly see why (in a vacuum) a choice like this would be made. National security is more important to me than capitalism.
but choices arent made in a vacum, so. trump cant ban it, thats kinda end of story, it would be blocked asap by courts.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't think it's solely attributable to this administration's usual xenophobic attitudes. Even the Biden campaign and entire DNC has told its staffers to delete the app. There are massive permissions and security holes from an app owned by a Chinese company. It doesn't take much effort to connect the dots to warrant concern.
concern maybe, ban no.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Suggesting it's a possible threat and recommending people don't use it and banning it all together are two entirely different things and should be seen as such. Also, I never said this was solely about this administrations usual xenophobic attitudes. I said this was a blatant attempt to erode free speech targetting an app that has already been used in a way that aggrivated Trump on a personal level. If you're going to go that far to prevent any American from using the app, you better have proof that it's warranted

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Social media is the devil. Let's go back to sending out envoys to various tribes within the plains. interaction and fun suck!