• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
President Trump told his acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, to hold back almost $400 million in military aid for Ukraine at least a week before a phone call in which Trump is said to have pressured the Ukrainian president to investigate the son of former vice president Joe Biden, according to three senior administration officials.

Officials at the Office of Management and Budget relayed Trump's order to the State Department and the Pentagon during an interagency meeting in mid-July, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. They explained that the president had "concerns" and wanted to analyze whether the money needed to be spent.

Administration officials were instructed to tell lawmakers that the delays were part of an "interagency process" but to give them no additional information — a pattern that continued for nearly two months, until the White House released the funds on the night of Sept. 11.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I haven't really been following this Ukraine story because I've been so busy and honestly I didn't think it would go anywhere. Can someone explain to me what's going on to someone who doesn't quite understand quid pro quo?

Edit: I think I get it now

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really been following this Ukraine story because I've been so busy and honestly I didn't think it would go anywhere. Can someone explain to me what's going on to someone who doesn't quite understand quid pro quo?

Trump blackmailed Ukraine by withholding aid funds to get them to open up an investigation into Joe Biden to help him win 2020.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
literally "something for something"

the first "something" here was the $400M in military aid and the second "something" was dirt on Joe and Hunter Biden

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think this would be enough but I think Pelosi needs video and audio of a direct threat + blood oaths from enough republicans before she's for impeachment.

Oct 25, 2017
This is even bigger than Trump's Russia misdeeds.

Cue the angry anti-defeatist posts though, because I'm too exhausted to get my hopes up again that Democratic leadership will show even a modicum of competency or moral fortitude in handling this.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when he jettisons absolutely everyone even remotely qualified to do their job. It's so over the top stupid to try something like this.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I'm not going to say this is something........................unless?

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
This seems even more relevant now: (May 7)

The Trump administration has recalled the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine abruptly and ahead of her scheduled departure, after she became a target of political attacks by conservative media outlets and Donald Trump Jr. Democrats see her early departure under pressure as the unfair targeting of a career Foreign Service officer by Team Trump.

According to an internal State Department management notice that I obtained, U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch will leave her post permanently on May 20, with no replacement in place and no nominations to fill that position. "We expect the Department to appoint a long-term Chargé d'Affaires to lead the mission until a new Chief of Mission is nominated and confirmed," said the notice, which was sent to all mission personnel at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev. Incoming Deputy Chief of Mission Kristina Kvien plans to arrive in Kiev on May 28, and Joseph Pennington will continue to serve as chargé d'affaires and acting deputy chief through the transition period, the notice said.
The House Democratic leadership thinks that Yovanovitch's early departure under pressure is a clear sign that the White House is responding to calls from Trump allies, Trump family members and conservative media sites that have accused Yovanovitch, without firm evidence, of being part of a conspiracy that involves anti-corruption probes in Ukraine and efforts by the Trump team to investigate ties between Ukrainian officials and the Hillary Clinton campaign.

"Ambassador Yovanovitch is a dedicated public servant and a diplomat of the highest caliber who has represented the United States under both Republican and Democratic administrations. The White House's outrageous decision to recall her is a political hit job and the latest in this Administration's campaign against career State Department personnel," said a statement released Tuesday morning by House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) and House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.). "It's clear that this decision was politically motivated, as allies of President Trump had joined foreign actors in lobbying for the Ambassador's dismissal."

Obviously a whole lot of people need to be subpoenaed and/or held in inherent contempt when they deny them. Time to step on the ants.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care that Moscow Mitch won't let anything come of this, impeach Trump and let the GOP vote on the record to excuse extortion. Do something, for fucks sake.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Pelosi gonna finger wag at this, right? :/
Pelosi's making a statement tomorrow that will probably finally get the ball rolling as far as unified messaging (probably not a full floor vote to open up the pit just yet, but who knows with how many Dem Reps have been coming out tonight)

like I know she's been stonewalling the shit out of things and have criticized her several times on this forum for it, but at minimum she's signaling she's gonna quit tripping shit up every five seconds

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Narc'd on by the Ukraine president:

But the Ukrainian leader was apparently left with a different impression. Murphy, who spoke with Zelensky during an early September visit to Ukraine, said Monday that the Ukrainian president "directly" expressed concerns at their meeting that "the aid that was being cut off to Ukraine by the president was a consequence" of his unwillingness to launch an investigation into the Bidens.

Multiple people in the WH are sources for the Mulvaney part of the story, the wheels are falling off.

Oct 25, 2017
The longer he stays in the further he will push.

That should have been obvious since the day he got elected, which is why this should have begun the second the midterms were over. Having an impeachment brought up immediately would bring untold amounts of dirt that we haven't even glimpse of yet.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Time to do it. The optics might have been somewhat iffy regarding how the Mueller thing went down, and I can theoretically see Pelosi making a somewhat justified case that it would not have helped in the battle for the electorate.

This, however, is clear, unmuddied, and wildly flagrant, an easy justification to anyone listening. Now is the time to do it.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Clear cut evidence of a sitting US president colluding with a foreign state. Straight up treason.

Pelosi, impeach Trump you coward.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Maybe this was the long game the whole time and Dems doing nothing really WAS 4D chess!

Show Trump that there are zero consequences to be worried about for colluding with foreign election meddling so that he boldly does it again and THEN we nab him! This is it folks!

/s

Oct 29, 2017
While the Senate will protect him to the end this is most likely past the point where it hurts the Democrats more to not impeach. Also, considering the public statements several members of congress have been making this past week I suspect this was seen coming.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Who cares at this point. Trump can do whatever he wants with no consequences. But what I want to know is whether or not Ukraine granted the request.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are going on conspiracy / constitutional crisis number 10 now.

Can we get the ball rolling now or what? Justice is a slow mother fucker these days.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I find it amazing that his explanation is literally the mob boss tactic of suggestions without actual demands. This is where we are and all that comes from it are more investigations that are stonewalled. I'm reminded of that species in Hitchhikers Guide that are mired by pure bureaucracy while those not beholden to those rules can just fuck off and do whatever they want. You want to trust the system but Rome is burning and all that's being done is finger wagging by the feckless.