• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

The health department's politically appointed communications aides have demanded the right to review and seek changes to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly scientific reports charting the progress of the coronavirus pandemic, in what officials characterized as an attempt to intimidate the reports' authors and water down their communications to health professionals.

In some cases, emails from communications aides to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other senior officials openly complained that the agency's reports would undermine President Donald Trump's optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to emails reviewed by POLITICO and three people familiar with the situation.

CDC officials have fought back against the most sweeping changes, but have increasingly agreed to allow the political officials to review the reports and, in a few cases, compromised on the wording, according to three people familiar with the exchanges. The communications aides' efforts to change the language in the CDC's reports have been constant across the summer and continued as recently as Friday afternoon.

The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports are authored by career scientists and serve as the main vehicle for the agency to inform doctors, researchers and the general public about how Covid-19 is spreading and who is at risk. Such reports have historically been published with little fanfare and no political interference, said several longtime health department officials, and have been viewed as a cornerstone of the nation's public health work for decades.

But since Michael Caputo, a former Trump campaign official with no medical or scientific background, was installed in April as the health department's new spokesperson, there have been substantial efforts to align the reports with Trump's statements, including the president's claims that fears about the outbreak are overstated, or stop the reports altogether.
Caputo and his team have attempted to add caveats to the CDC's findings, including an effort to retroactively change agency reports that they said wrongly inflated the risks of Covid-19 and should have made clear that Americans sickened by the virus may have been infected because of their own behavior, according to the individuals familiar with the situation and emails reviewed by POLITICO.

Caputo's team also has tried to halt the release of some CDC reports, including delaying a report that addressed how doctors were prescribing hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug favored by Trump as a coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence. The report, which was held for about a month after Caputo's team raised questions about its authors' political leanings, was finally published last week. It said that "the potential benefits of these drugs do not outweigh their risks."

In one clash, an aide to Caputo berated CDC scientists for attempting to use the reports to "hurt the President" in an Aug. 8 email sent to CDC Director Robert Redfield and other officials that was widely circulated inside the department and obtained by POLITICO.

"CDC to me appears to be writing hit pieces on the administration," appointee Paul Alexander wrote, calling on Redfield to modify two already published reports that Alexander claimed wrongly inflated the risks of coronavirus to children and undermined Trump's push to reopen schools. "CDC tried to report as if once kids get together, there will be spread and this will impact school re-opening . . . Very misleading by CDC and shame on them. Their aim is clear."

Caputo's response:
Caputo also said that HHS was appropriately reviewing the CDC's reports. "Our intention is to make sure that evidence, science-based data drives policy through this pandemic—not ulterior deep state motives in the bowels of CDC," he said.

Last edited:

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Redfield is such an incompetent coward.. Zero pushback against Trump, botched test launch, contradictory guidelines and collapse of the CDC's global leadership. If he had any dignity, he'd quit long ago.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Alexander guy really gets around

www.politico.com

Emails show HHS official trying to muzzle Fauci

Emails obtained by POLITICO show a top aide at the department dictating what the nation's top infections disease expert should say during media interviews.

It's almost like the only reason he was hired is to shut up scientists. Trying to suppress the dangers to kids just to support Trump's bullshit remarks is crazy

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I can already see the conspiracies if Biden wins. This ugliness is only the beginning, Biden winning is not the end, but further fuel for the conspiracy-nuts to go all out.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
notsurprisedkirk.jpg

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
As spokesmen with no knowledge or background of ANYTHING, under exactly what authority does Caputo and his team think they have?

What kind of trash ass...

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His base are ok with 200k+ Americans getting killed. Didn't even bat an eyelid.

Imagine how many people from other countries that equals.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
His base are ok with 200k+ Americans getting killed. Didn't even bat an eyelid.

Imagine how many people from other countries that equals.
"As long as the libs are seething about this news I don't care! I haven't had to go to the doctor once in my life; I'm sure President Trump is draining the swamp from all the corruption within the CDC!" - Some Trumper probably

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is all so fucking exhausting. My family's staying in 24/7. Life is on hold. My young son doesn't get to see anyone else or go anywhere fun for what will be half his fucking life by the time this is over. And the president is holding super spreader events while his appointees change science in real time to prolong things and help his re-election. This is maddening.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why they even bother to do this. There are a million other sources that point directly to how bad covid is in the US. Whenever those are pointed out, he just says "fake news" and his base is fine. Hell, even before he tampered with these numbers he already called them fake news and his base was fine.

Spending the time and effort to actually try to fiddle with these numbers seems pointless as he'll just lie about them anyways. Why waste the effort when lying is just as effective?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This is all so fucking exhausting. My family's staying in 24/7. Life is on hold. My young son doesn't get to see anyone else or go anywhere fun for what will be half his fucking life by the time this is over. And the president is holding super spreader events while his appointees change science in real time to prolong things and help his re-election. This is maddening.
I feel you.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why they even bother to do this. There are a million other sources that point directly to how bad covid is in the US. Whenever those are pointed out, he just says "fake news" and his base is fine. Hell, even before he tampered with these numbers he already called them fake news and his base was fine.

Spending the time and effort to actually try to fiddle with these numbers seems pointless as he'll just lie about them anyways. Why waste the effort when lying is just as effective?
The cruelty is the point.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

Maybe because Putin is doing the same. What's he supposed to do, NOT emulate his boss and other dictators?!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Caputo also said that HHS was appropriately reviewing the CDC's reports. "Our intention is to make sure that evidence, science-based data drives policy through this pandemic—not ulterior deep state motives in the bowels of CDC," he said.

There it is. This is a very old tactic - "our science is real, yours is fake" - and I'm surprised it hasn't been more prevalent. We're one step away from "no one has died of COVID, it's all fake news" as an official government/party position.

Oct 27, 2017

Hail Hydra!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Anyone else would be removed from office along with their cronies and locked up forever. For Trump and his band of merry bigots, this isn't even a drop in the bucket.

I'm so fucking tired, dude. I'm just so fucking tired.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I think I'm not able to visit the US anytime soon. To realize that there are so many people supporting this monster. I don't have enough spit to spit out in front of every trump supporter I might encounter.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
"Retroactively altered"

"Hey folks turned out we actually beat the pandemic months ago according to this report in June"

Oct 28, 2017
"Caputo also said that HHS was appropriately reviewing the CDC's reports. "Our intention is to make sure that evidence, science-based data drives policy through this pandemic—not ulterior deep state motives in the bowels of CDC," he said.

Wait, this statement is real and not an Onion article?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
"CDC to me appears to be writing hit pieces on the administration," appointee Paul Alexander wrote, calling on Redfield to modify two already published reports that Alexander claimed wrongly inflated the risks of coronavirus to children and undermined Trump's push to reopen schools. "CDC tried to report as if once kids get together, there will be spread and this will impact school re-opening . . . Very misleading by CDC and shame on them. Their aim is clear."

One report Caputo's team tried to stop, the website said, concerned hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug which Trump and key aides pushed for use in treatment of Covid-19 but which studies have said can be dangerous. The report was published last week, reportedly after being held for a month because its authors' political views were in question.

CDC officials have fought the efforts to retroactively change reports but have increasingly allowed Caputo and his team to review them before publication, according to the three individuals with knowledge of the situation. Caputo also helped install CDC's interim chief of staff last month, two individuals added, ensuring that Caputo himself would have more visibility into an agency that has often been at odds with HHS political officials during the pandemic.

www.theguardian.com

Trump ally who sought to change CDC Covid reports claims he was fighting 'deep state'

Politico says emails show attempts to change key reports by HHS spokesman Michael Caputo, who worked on campaign in 2016