• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
WASHINGTON -- Reversing decades of U.S. policy, the Trump administration said Monday it will end all asylum protections for most migrants who arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border -- the president's most forceful attempt to block asylum claims and slash the number of people seeking refuge in America.

The new rule, expected to go into effect Tuesday, would cover countless would-be refugees, many of them fleeing violence and poverty in Central America. It is certain to face legal challenges.

According to the plan published in the Federal Register , migrants who pass through another country -- in this case, Mexico -- on their way to the U.S. will be ineligible for asylum. The rule also applies to children who have crossed the border alone.

The vast majority of people affected by the rule are from Central America. But sometimes migrants from Africa , Cuba or Haiti and other countries try to come through the U.S.-Mexico border, as well.

There are some exceptions, including for victims of human trafficking and asylum-seekers who were denied protection in another country. If the country the migrant passed through did not sign one of the major international treaties governing how refugees are managed (though most Western countries signed them) a migrant could still apply for U.S. asylum.

Mexican Foreign Relations Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said Monday that his country "does not agree with any measure that limits access to asylum." Mexico's asylum system is also currently overwhelmed.

Trump administration officials say the changes are meant to close the gap between the initial asylum screening that most people pass and the final decision on asylum that most people do not win.

Attorney General William Barr said that the United States is "a generous country but is being completely overwhelmed" by the burdens associated with apprehending and processing hundreds of thousands of migrants at the southern border.

He also said the rule is aimed at "economic migrants" and "those who seek to exploit our asylum system to obtain entry to the United States."

And the hooooooooome, of the freeeeeeeeeeeeeee???

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sad times, although at least this will free up money for giving people things like free healthcare, improving education and other social services.

Right?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way this passes the courts, but after it gets shot down he'll come up with some even more ridiculous requirement to be granted asylum and then they'll allow it, just like the Muslim ban and how many countless other things he's been allowed to get away with

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's no longer trying to win anymore. This is like "Burn it all down to punish my foes before I'm gone" shit.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sad times, although at least this will free up money for giving people things like free healthcare, improving education and other social services.

Right?

I mean, technically immigration is a net positive for GDP and the money spent on asylum is minimal in the first place so even framing your statement like that isn't accurate. There isn't any money saved.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Right?
giphy.gif

Christ, I can't wait for him to drop fucking dead

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Someone go to Liberty Island and spraypaint over this fucking poem until this asshole is out of office.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, I know the super rich class like Trump are detached from the burdens of the average middle class person but for fucks sake, why would they want to fuck over folks who live in poor or discriminating/oppressive conditions like this? It literally has no impact on their lavish lives. And the people most punished by this just want to live better so that their kids get a chance they never had.

Fuck...

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, technically immigration is a net positive for GDP and the money spent on asylum is minimal in the first place so even framing your statement like that isn't accurate. There isn't any money saved.
Yeah, I was just pointing out the flaw and hypocrisy in his rhetoric.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Have a few more Big Mac's, Donnie. Keep coating those already congealed arteries.

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, I know the super rich class like Trump are detached from the burdens of the average middle class person but for fucks sake, why would they want to fuck over folks who live in poor or discriminating/oppressive conditions like this? It literally has no impact on their lavish lives. And the people most punished by this just want to live better so that their kids get a chance they never had.

Fuck...
Immigration is a scapegoat issue used to distract the middle and lower economic class from noticing how much the wealthy are taking advantage of them.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is just being used to push the narrative that these refugees are criminals by stripping the rights and protections that asylum seekers have, so that he can continue to detain people in concentration camps.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Once again, this may fail a court challenge, but he's only doing this for show;

Last edited:

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
I'm so sick of this goddamn monster. There is no bottom with this guy.
Yeah, I was just pointing out the flaw and hypocrisy in his rhetoric.

Well, this would work if Trump wasn't a. racist b. Had empathy for people c. Actually cared about morality.

And Conservatives(a majority) model their opinions on what the Orange man says, so it's not like this is going to be a "gotcha" compared with other lies and public racism.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am utterly disgusted at this country. I never wished ca... you know what let me stop that. Fuck him.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody really needs to leak his tax returns or the pee tape or Tom Arnold's video or something already. How is this menace still bumbling around.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
"Wild that a country that was established by people leaving their country because they didn't like the conditions is punishing other people for doing the same."

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
What constitutional law does this break? I am just curious because i thought laws regarding safe countries is governed by international laws. Could an international court stop Trump?

Well, lemme fix my face.
The only entities that can change asylum procedures are Congress...and the Attorney General (per law - 8-S1158. Asylum).
I forgot who the AG was for a moment...
Barr is probably going to (continue to) roll in the muck for this one too.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We almost certainly won't win the Senate if we don't win the presidency altogether.

Accurate.

And even if Dems retake the senate, we're not getting a filibuster proof majority... So, good luck passing any new laws.

But, he has taught us this: Just stack the courts, and write EO after EO. Apparently, they're basically limitless in power.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
I can't truly express how I feel right now or I'll catch a ban. Fuck Trump and his supporters/enablers.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
How does this not come in foul of international law? The laws protecting asylum seekers is a matter of international law you orange coloured piece of shit.