• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
A federal appeals court ruled Monday that President Donald Trump's tax returns must be turned over to a state grand jury.

The three-judge appeals panel in New York rejected Trump's argument that he is immune as president from criminal investigation while in the White House.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is seeking Trump's corporate and personal tax returns from his accounts as part of a criminal investigation.

The panel of judges on the U.S. Second Circuit of Appeals predicted that Trump's lawyers are all but certain to appeal the ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Supreme Court, heeeeeeeere we go...

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
source.gif

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
'Total immunity of the executive' feels like something SCOTUS is not going to hear and let the lower court ruling stand.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The POTUS appealing a case to the Supreme Court (of which he appointed two seats) sounds like it would result in a major conflict of interest.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Good on those judges, time to put too bed this stupid untested theory that a president shouldn't be held accountable for their actions while in office.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
What's to stop him burning then or conveniently loosing them before they ever get handed over?
If I were the investigators I would storm the law office and take them before they have a chance to dispose of them.

Diya

Oct 27, 2017
Underworld
Womp Womp šŸ¤£

Is there anything he can do to appeal (ie stall the inevitable) or does he have to comply now?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like something SCOTUS is not going to hear and let the lower court ruling stand.

Yeah. The options they have are:

1) What you said. They refuse to hear it.
Or
2) They officially put on record that the president isn't immune to criminal charges and prosecution.

They would never rule differently than option 2, even the conservative judges.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
My money is on the SCOTUS overturning this. I don't trust Roberts to do the right thing.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
If the SCOTUS even agrees to hear the appeal, there's no way a branch of government would vote to devalue its power.... oh.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My money is on the SCOTUS overturning this. I don't trust Roberts to do the right thing.
I would guess the SCOTUS upholds this on 7-2 or 6-3.

Putting aside the politics for a minute...

Thomas fundamentally agrees with the executive (Trump or otherwise)'s position here because he's an extremist on executive power.

Alito is out there and see Thomas from where he stands, but he's not as out there. Thomas is one pole on this spectrum.

I'd guess Kavanaugh joins based on his post-Clinton impeachment writings but not as confident as the other two.

With the rest voting to uphold the decision for the docs to get produced.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

The president would basically be a king if they overturned the ruling. He would legally be allowed to do anything that he wants without any fear of repercussions. Not just Trump, but any president.

Torlain

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
What's to stop him burning then or conveniently loosing them before they ever get handed over?
If I were the investigators I would storm the law office and take them before they have a chance to dispose of them.

This is an odd question.

They are literally sitting on an internal server in multiple locations. Documents like these are rarely in physical only form.

What I'm more surprised is that one of the hacking groups hasn't tried to infiltrate yet and published them for shits and giggles.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The president would basically be a king if they overturned the ruling. He would legally be allowed to do anything that he wants without any fear of repercussions. Not just Trump, but any president.

So, any future president or Trump himself could use such a ruling if it went in their favour this time for eternity hypothetically?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

That's why I feel they would uphold this decision. They wouldn't want to grant that power to the opposing party.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
The Federalist Society, who picks Republican judges by default, believes in the "unitary executive." Making him immune from prosecution is a basic qualification for getting nomination.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
This has been the argument for years. Mueller believed it too.
That's kind of absurd
Did they forget about watergate already? Even besides that, if the President was exempt from criminal investigation, that would allow them to get away with anything, right? I often think people are being extremely exaggeratory when people say Trump's a fascist but this is like....Trump basically saying he desires to be above the law. Which is pretty fascist-y.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

The tax returns are being offered by his accounting firm. They've said they'll gladly hand them over once the courts agree to let them. Trump can't do anything about it, and you just know it's eating him up inside.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's kind of absurd
Did they forget about watergate already? Even besides that, if the President was exempt from criminal investigation, that would allow them to get away with anything, right? I often think people are being extremely exaggeratory when people say Trump's a fascist but this is like....Trump basically saying he desires to be above the law. Which is pretty fascist-y.

Nixon was never tried for Watergate. He resigned because he was going to be impeached not because he was going to be indicted. And then Ford pardoned him post presidency.