• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

President Trump's legal team made numerous campaign contributions to Republican senators overseeing the impeachment trial.

Former independent counsels Ken Starr and Robert Ray, who both investigated former President Bill Clinton ahead of his impeachment, contributed thousands of dollars to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell last year before they joined the president's team, according to data from the Center for Responsive Politics (CFPR).

Starr, who lamented that "we are living in … the age of impeachment" during the trial on Monday and accused Democrats of waging a "domestic war," gave $2,800 to McConnell in July 2019, according to CFPR.

Ray, who wanted to indict Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair but now claims Trump has been vindicated by the transcript of his July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, contributed the maximum $5,600 to McConnell in September 2019, according to the report.

The contributions came months before McConnell bragged to Fox News host Sean Hannity that he would be in "total coordination with the White House counsel's office and the people who are representing the president in the well of the Senate."

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
The title on this thread made me burst out laughing on the sheer audacity of it. Also completely fine and legal somehow.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I would imagine this is extremely illegal but I'm not from the U.S. so I don't know how do you, guys, handle this kind of stuff.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Our "democracy" may need some serious reforms. I'm just saying. I guess sometimes it takes a person like Trump to figure out how broken the system really is.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is silly. Conservatives months ago gave contributions to conservative senators. A senator isn't being bought for 5k to their campaign, and these donations had nothing to do with impeachment.

When you want to bribe a senator, you slip him a briefcase with 500k inside.

There is enough actual corruption on the right that we don't need to reach for examples.

Last edited:

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, seems like well to do lawyers wanting to maintain some good will and connections quite a while before the impeachment was certain, and all of the guys listed lean hard right.

If it was a sudden influx of money to Romney, Collins, etc within the last month then that'd be something else.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
gave $2,800 to McConnell in July 2019, according to CFPR.

Trump wasn't impeached yet guys. Settle down.

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the issue here? Is Trump prevented from hiring any lawyer who has donated to a sitting senator's campaign at some point in the past?

Oct 27, 2017
The title seems really misleading. "Ahead of trial" could mean 5 years ago, in this case it means 6 months ago. I'm not saying it's nothing, but it didn't happen 3 weeks ago did it?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
In any other court of law in this country conflict of interest is something that will get someone removed from a trial.
The Senate is not a "court of law." These proceedings are essentially a mock trial for the purposes of providing information to the Senators who will vote on the outcome.

Almost every element of it would be grounds for a mistrial if done in an actual courtroom.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a blatant conflict of interest. The Republican senators receiving money from the person they're supposed to be judging in the trial should recuse themselves.

No they shouldn't. What a farce. Should Mitt Romney recuse himself because he received a contribution from Sekulow and a couple of others on the team back in 2012 (an actual example in the story)? And what if it turns out that someone like Dershowitz once contributed to a Democratic senator? Should that senator recuse themselves? This article is misleading and irrelevant.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
No they shouldn't. What a farce. Should Mitt Romney recuse himself because he received a contribution from Sekulow and a couple of others on the team back in 2012 (an actual example in the story)? And what if it turns out that someone like Dershowitz once contributed to a Democratic senator? Should that senator recuse themselves? This article is misleading and irrelevant.

Mitch McConnell, who controls the trial, received a contribution the same month as the phone call in question while extortion was going on, and has since been stating publicly that he is working directly with the Trump WH team on their impeachment defense, and stated on national TV that he wasn't going to act as an impartial juror.

So yes, while it's not realistic, he absolutely should recuse himself.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Dershowitz is a good example, he's donated to several sitting Democratic Senators.

Oct 27, 2017
Mitch McConnell received a contribution the same month as the phone call in question while extortion was going on, and has since been stating publicly that he is working directly with the Trump WH team on their impeachment defense, and stated on national TV that he wasn't going to act as an impartial juror.

So yes, while it's not realistic, he absolutely should recuse himself.

The fact that the contribution took place the same month of the call is entirely irrelevant unless you can make any colorable argument that there was a reason for Starr or McConnell to know that there would be an impeachment trial and that Starr would be a lawyer on Trump's impeachment trial team at the time. McConnell's comment on coordination is independently problematic and isn't made any worse by the fact that one of the attorneys once donated to him. His statement wouldn't be any better if none of Trump's counsel had ever given his campaign money.

The only way I can even conceive that this is an issue is if you try to argue that Starr was picked specifically because of this contribution. But the reality is that there are probably lawyers out there Trump could have chosen who have done more to raise money for McConnell and others, and it's pretty hilarious to think that McConnell needed to be "bought" in the first place.

You don't have to buy in to every sensational headline against trump. You won't be kicked out of the Resistance.

Edit - that last paragraph was a little aggressive. I'll go ahead and apologize for that. Not really necessary.

Last edited:

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL - I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Is this legal? Straight up bribery.

Edit: It was 6 months ago? Nevermind.

Oct 27, 2017
This is silly. Conservatives months ago gave contributions to conservative senators. A senator isn't being bought for 5k to their campaign, and these donations had nothing to do with impeachment.

There is enough actual corruption on the right that we don't need to reach for examples.

Didn't Parnas drop $5K to get a house member to write a letter slagging Amb.Yavonovich (sp?)

I think you underestimate how cheap it is to buy a Republican

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

I agree. These guys are doing this shit for political reasons, not $2.8-$5.6K.

Oct 27, 2017

It's not a bribe because it's not enough money? Really?