• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
What he did makes ZERO sense for his own re-election! He just took all the blame. He clearly wants out and wants to screw over the country as much as possible before he leaves. McConnell can just fuck off. He refuses to put up any bill that doesn't get a majority of GOP Senators to sign on. The Dems NEED to take the senate!!

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll see some serious damage to the stock market but it might take several weeks. I think a lot more people are going to stop any spending that isn't absolute necessities. I know I am, christmas is basically a no go as well. And I'm not even in as bad a situation as millions across the country right now. Fuck all GoP.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Biden can go on TV and tell the nation to elect him and the Democrats in the Senate and House and everyone will get the bigger stimulus package with more funding and money in January, and put a nice big bow on it for election day.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Someone please tell me how this is Nancy Pelosi's fault.

This is a political win for Dems because of course it isn't their fault. Trump is openly taking blame here.

But Nancy JUST caved to 1.6T which was a number floated around a month ago, so I do think she kind of wasted time in this negotiation and we might be somewhere had she not overplayed her hand. A political win, a loss for Americans suffering. A skinny 500B bill would have even done wonders.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The question is, will the pendulum swing back in midterms or 4 years like it usually does in This cycle?

My gut tells me, 'Of course, the game never changes', but really thinking about it...I don't know.

Your Rubios, Scotts, Mcconnels are going nowhere. But what is a Trump party with no Trump.

Like where do those Trump voters go? Do they tap into Qanon theories even more to keep em around and engaged? Does Trump bitterly tweet against the GOP if they distance themselves from him making those voters apathetic and now they have to deal with the same issues the Dems had with enthusiasm?

Blaming the meddling Dems for killing the economy will work, but considering we are staring down the barrel of a recession getting rid of social safety nets like medicare and fighting tooth and nail on stimulus dollars I can't imagine working as well in the past considering this economic hardship will also slam people who were immune in the past as the fallout expands in the next few years.
I'm not nearly enough of a political scholar to give a real answer here, this is just based on personal observance and some amount of natural pessimism after seeing the way the country has collectively reacted to things over the past few presidential terms.

I have to imagine that anti-Trump sentiment will remain enough for the midterms not to overturn too much in two years, we'll likely still be dealing with economic fallout from everything that's been going awry in 2020. Beyond that though...if Biden wins this year I highly doubt he's going to run for a second term, which means the election in 2024 brings us a race without an incumbent, and by that time whatever our immediate response to COVID-19 is in 2021 will have faded from the national conversation, instead allowing the GOP to focus once more on the economy and that potential Democrat "overreach" I mentioned before (of course leaving aside the fact that Republicans would be doing the same thing if given that potential--that's literally already their rationale for forcing the Coney-Barrett nomination through). Without DC statehood or some other such things coming through, I think they have an easier time flipping the Senate back over, and by then they can resume playing full obstructionism while blaming Democrats. All it takes by then is more time for the currently-energized Dem base to drift back apart with apathy and infighting again without such a dramatic figure as Trump to rally against, and by 2024 or 2028 I could see them having control of both the Senate and White House again, and given what they're already doing now I see no reason to believe they wouldn't be dead-set by that point on a mission to completely sway voting power back to their rich elite minority through further court-packing and harsher reinstitution of various voter suppression tactics.

It all depends on how much the establishment Democrats will be willing to change their tune and wield the power they're given in truly proactive ways, which is...a very slow march, at best. But the difference in tactics between the two parties over the last decade and change has been a slow march forward versus the bus from the movie Speed heading down that same road in the opposite direction.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP knows they're done they are officially going to burn it all to the ground on their way out.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Honest question: is it possible to abolish the Republican party? Let's say Biden wins. Could he pass some kind of law to dismantle the Republican party?
The closest thing to a significant blow that the Dems could deliver to the Republican Party would be if they were able to do what's possible to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. If Reagan hadn't had it repealed in the first place, you wouldn't have had Fox News and Conservative talk radio poisoning the public's mind over the past couple of generations, leading directly to today's shit show where a malevolent Pied Piper can lead a huge chunk of the populace around at his whim. If Dems are looking toward the long game and reclaiming America and scrub that extremist mind control from the airwaves, they must reinstate the Fairness Doctrine (adapted for 21st century media formats).

Not at all sure if this is feasible for them. 🤷‍♀️

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
We'll probably see a swing back during the midterms - they always do. See the Contract On America and the Tea Party.
There are not many Republicans that will be living again, honestly. Young people are very, very, very liberal. The numbers will only grow for democratic power. We just need to keep the momentum that we will have next election.

Of course you will still have your alt right, and your QANON people. But, if the government can regulate social media, that inherently solves that problem.

There is now, so much that democrats can do, to basically make republican leadership impossible.
-make D. C. and Puerto Rico a state
-stack the courts
-end gerrymandering
-get rid of fillibuster
-extend national voting right
-make election day a national holiday
-get rid of electoral college

Now, they likely won't do all of these. However, even just a couple of these will basically be the end to the Raegan Era Republicans. The republican party will either change from what it is now, or die.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really bad idea I've seen some people floating. The Supreme Court is not a substitute for controlling the rest of the government, particularly since the Democrats could do away with your SC majority if push comes to shove.

It's not? Could have fooled me. Getting majority of the SC has always been one of their end games, if they have to cut off the rest of their limbs to achieve it they will. Also if dems pack the court I'll send you $100, cause it's such a longshot and Republicans know it's not going to happen.

May 26, 2018
He'd probably just pardon himself and Barr would back it. He'd still never be able to set foot in New York again.

Try the United States. Things would be way too hot for him to just bugger off and live comfortably in Florida. Dunno where he'd go but anger is going to be intense. He'll need a lonnnnng vacation. But not terrible for him. Still plenty of chances to hock products and call in to Fox.

It's not? Could have fooled me. Getting majority of the SC has always been one of their end games, if they have to cut off the rest of their limbs to achieve it they will. Also if dems pack the court I'll send you $100, cause it's such a longshot and Republicans know it's not going to happen.
They don't have to cut off one of their limbs to achieve it, though. Yet they're cutting their limbs off anyway.

The Democrats are not going to be eager to expand the court. But if the GOP-appointed justices go full Lochner in the war you're suggesting, they will in the end. There's a reason Biden ducked answering that question.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are not many Republicans that will be living again, honestly. Young people are very, very, very liberal. The numbers will only grow for democratic power. We just need to keep the momentum that we will have next election.

Of course you will still have your alt right, and your QANON people. But, if the government can regulate social media, that inherently solves that problem.

There is now, so much that democrats can do, to basically make republican leadership impossible.
-stack the courts
-end gerrymandering
-get rid of fillibuster

Now, they likely won't do all of these. However, even just a couple of these will basically be the end to the Raegan Era Republicans. The republican party will either change from what it is now, or die.
Getting rid of the electoral college isn't possible, but there's a sneaky workaround. However, that depends on a couple of very purple states agreeing to the NaPoVoInterCo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUX-frlNBJY)

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017

-stack the courts
-end gerrymandering
-get rid of fillibuster

I agree with your list, except Puerto Rico. They elected a Republican governor and she just endorsed Trump.

Edited to add: I learned she was not elected as Governor but instead slid into the role and is out in November. I still submit that we need to be sure PR will lean Dem before making the move. It's cold, but we have to play the game.

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to cut off one of their limbs to achieve it, though. Yet they're cutting their limbs off anyway.

Doesn't matter. Losing the short term even due to incompetence is peanuts to having the courts. They'll just come back in another 4/8 years when everyone has forgotten how evil they are and regain congress/executive but now with the courts on their side.

And ya I have *no* faith in the dems packing the courts at all.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's in "burn it all down" mode. Millions of people are going to be devastated by the decision that he made today.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Has Trump personally offered ANYTHING to the negotiations besides insults to the Dems and patting himself on the back for nothing?

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sincerely, the coward that spent the whole weekend getting the best medical help that your tax money can buy.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
He's a fucking idiot and going scorched earth to prove if he loses (assuming COVID doesn't get him first) he'll go nuclear.. Basically we are fucked.. He has ZERO regard for anyone except himself and his frail fucking "I have MASSIVE daddy issues" ego... But his stupid supporters see him owning the libs - when he's just fucking everyone in the ass..

I would not be surprised if he short sold - I'm sorry if his shitty company his shitty son controls - short sold a bunch of stocks and fuck face will reverse course in a few days and try and blame the Dems... This mutherfucker is the picture of stupid projection...

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

not the best source but the first one I could find.

The current bill agreed upon by Mnuchin and Pelosi was around 1.6T. They were just finalizing language before Trump cancelled.

Right, all indications since Friday was that the bill being agreed upon was valued at around 1.6 trillion, but the language was being worked on. So one of two things happened, Nancy stupidly jumped back up to a number she knew would never pass the WH or Senate, or Trump's drug addled brain tricked him into tweeting something that guarantees he's going to lose the WH and most likely the Senate. My money's on drugs.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
So the president is running the American economy over the cliff, either because of plain stupidity or out of spite. Well, isn't that wonderful.

Oct 27, 2017

not the best source but the first one I could find.

The current bill agreed upon by Mnuchin and Pelosi was around 1.6T. They were just finalizing language before Trump cancelled.

Ehhh I'll be honest this really doesn't seem like much of anything.

What makes me particularly skeptical is why would Trump, deranged as he may be, violently pull the plug when the democrats just agreed to come down to the republican price tag. Were that the case the Republicans clearly won negotiations, granting a massive boon for a badly lagging trump less then a month out of election.

I have a far easier time believing that Pelosi was sticking to her guns, and frustrated with the intransigence of the Dems threw his fit.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Down by seven points, can't campaign for half of the time left before Election Day, and publically says no one gets money.

He's throwing the race. He wants out.

I don't care, despite overwhelming evidence saying the contrary, I'm still voting like he's gonna win the fuckin thing.

As we all should.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is stupid even by trump standards. He's gone full stupid.

I can't under any circumstances imagine him winning after repeatedly doing shit like this.

Like the brazen lying to your base and projecting that somehow works for him.. even has limits when its directly against what your base even wants and you go around saying you're responsible for it, no one else is.

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your list, except Puerto Rico. They elected a Republican governor and she just endorsed Trump.
She wasn't elected, she just came into power while being the secretary of justice, when the previous governor was run out of town for being terrible.
She didn't even win her primary for these coming elections.

Anyway, democrat v republican is not a thing that exists for the public and most politicians on the Island.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, when does Barr announce a Biden investigation?

We've known it was going to happen for months. Anyone want to guess a date?

I'm guessing next week, the day before, or morning off the next debate.