• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Then that shifts the argument from "he shouldn't call it that because it is racist" to "he shouldn't call it that because it will incite violence against innocent people". Because if it is the former, then this whole naming a virus after it's geographic origin point is a double standard and should be stopped in general, not just when trump uses it. If it's the second then people need to clarify that and not just call it racist.

Or how about this: considering that Asian Americans are currently being targeted, harassed, and attacked at alarming rates across the country, you can drop the transparent concern trolling and bullshit whataboutisms.

WHO guidelines have already been amended to advise against naming diseases via nationality or geography going forward. Everyone is in agreement that diseases should be divorced from potentially discriminatory referents. But seeing as COVID, not MERS nor West Nile, is the one in the headlines and the one causing people to be assaulted on the basis of their race, and considering the president of the US is actively trying to cultivate anti-Asian sentiment through this, we've got other priorities at the moment besides clarifying your weird semantic hangups over calling things racist.

So enough of the "all lives matter" style shit.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
That's right Trump, continue to give Biden & his campaign team (plus The Lincoln Project) more ammo & firepower to use against you. I'm sure it'll reeeaaaallllyyy help you.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Calling a disease MERS is nowhere in the same ballpark as the president referring to a deadly diseases as "Kung Flu". I'm sorry if some people can't see the difference. It's pretty gosh darn obvious.

Take a class in logic. Learn about logical fallacies.

Last edited:

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
We tried that, it doesn't work, only thing left is voting.
Imho there's an ethical/legal imperative to do it each time it's warranted. If you'd impeach another president for it, you impeach Trump for it. It's a way of sending a message to any potential future president and to the American people.

Impeachment isn't a game to be won like an election, it's about drawing a line in the sand and setting a standard for decency and professionalism in our nation's highest office.

Whether or not you think it will be successful isn't as important as setting the precedent that this type of shit cannot be tolerated in the Commander in Chief of the United States of America.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
* Everybody is Kung Flu fighting,
Your racism becomes fast as lightning
Although the future is fucking terrifying
It's the Art of the Deal that you're writing *

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Imho there's an ethical/legal imperative to do it each time it's warranted. If you'd impeach another president for it, you impeach Trump for it. It's a way of sending a message to any potential future president and to the American people.

Impeachment isn't a game to be won like an election, it's about drawing a line in the sand and setting a standard for decency and professionalism in our nation's highest office.

Whether or not you think it will be successful isn't as important as setting the precedent that this type of shit cannot be tolerated in the Commander in Chief of the United States of America.

I'm not American so admittedly ignorant on what impeachment means especially when this doesn't lead to automatic removal from office, or restricted from putting himself up for re-election. What would being impeached again mean in this case? This man seems impervious to the effects of his words and deeds and has tripled down on his bigotry after the first impeachment trials.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
I'm not American so admittedly ignorant on what impeachment means especially when this doesn't lead to automatic removal from office, or restricted from putting himself up for re-election. What would being impeached again mean in this case? This man seems impervious to the effects of his words and deeds and has tripled down on his bigotry after the first impeachment trials.
Impeachment is a multi-step process. Trump would likely be successfully impeached by the house of representatives (again), but it would fail in the republican-controlled senate (again). The point is that going through the process of impeachment is worthwhile to set a precedent about what sort of behavior cannot be tolerated in a president.

Hikarilie

Apr 30, 2020
I think this might be a good video. It's from an US-based lawyer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20lJppF4EOI

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
AOC wasn't wrong when she referred to last night's rally as a open-mic white supremacist event.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
thehill.com

Kellyanne Conway says it’s ‘highly offensive’ to refer to coronavirus as ‘kung flu’

Kellyanne Conway on Wednesday called reports of a White House official referring to COVID-19 as the “kung flu” virus “highly offensive” after a journalist pressed her repe…

Alcindor then asked Conway about her message to those staffers and whether she felt it is wrong for the White House aides to use the offensive language.

"Excuse me, that's been alleged," Conway replied as she and Alcindor began talking over each other.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Every public gathering that Trump speaks at where he does not get at least one shoe thrown at him is a stain upon the entire population of the US.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
While I definitely agree it shouldn't be called the wuhan virus or the china virus. A previous corona virus is still officially called MERS or (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) and you still have cases of the west nile flu/fever (even though I've only heard of it in America and every Egyptian I've asked has no idea what I'm talking about)
The Scientific Community specifically changed the naming criteria for Covid-19 to avoid the racism.

I don't think they are retroactively applying it to the past and understandably so due to the confusion that would be caused in academic papers.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
While literally admitting they slowed down testing because they didn't like the numbers?

Can't put out fires if you don't admit the building is burning in the first place, I guess.

Hoooollyyy cow, what logic is this?! "Let's test less, then we will have less confirmed cases", that's basically "out of sight, out of mind". He is so cartoonishly dumb.

Still can't believe that this dumb clown has a fellowship.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
About defunding the police:

"It's one in the morning, and a very tough⁠ – I used the word on occasion – hombre is breaking into the window of a young woman whose husband is away as a traveling salesman or whatever he may do. And you call 911 and they say, 'I'm sorry this number is no longer working.'"

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Why do people keep posting nothing posts like this as though the reason the thread exists is surprise? Nobody is surprised by this, that's not the point.
The point is that the president of the US of A is a racist asshole and spews hateful comments and lies to this day. But unless he is removed from office - peacefully or forcefully - this won't change, considering what else he has gotten away with. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if he could start WW3 at this point and somehow suffer no consequences for it.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

5ChWA.jpg

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
His racism is no longer surprising. He does it on purpose. I hope that no one gives this any more attention. This is why he wants these rallies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
4chan is running USA.
This simulation is idiotic, time for a reset.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so this is just going to be a thing moving forward? Damn this dude wants to lose.

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
This is what I'm dreading about Trump and his fucking rallies. He knows he will go to these and say obscene stupid shit and the media will talk about it 24/7. We should be talking about more important issues not his dumb fuck rallies.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand his fans... He can say ketchup and they'll go crazy. Like he's Jesus or something.