• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
WHO is in a self isolated position. Either they are team China, or they are team USA. This is actually going to be interesting to watch unfold. I think China might just win out here.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Between this and Dr. Fauci, this administration has their scapegoats.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he announced this a week ago (he did)

"We're going to put a hold on money spent to the W.H.O. We're going to put a very powerful hold on it and we're going to see, " - April 7
www.nytimes.com

Trump Attacks W.H.O. Over Criticisms of U.S. Approach to Coronavirus (Published 2020)

In effect, the president sought to blame the group for the very missteps and failures that have been leveled at him and his administration.

a very powerful hold

The best part of this, of course, is Yamiche's final note in the OP
Note: Trump praised China's transparency on 1/24.

OP
OP

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he announced this a week ago (he did)

"We're going to put a hold on money spent to the W.H.O. We're going to put a very powerful hold on it and we're going to see, " - April 7
www.nytimes.com

Trump Attacks W.H.O. Over Criticisms of U.S. Approach to Coronavirus (Published 2020)

In effect, the president sought to blame the group for the very missteps and failures that have been leveled at him and his administration.

a very powerful hold
It was floated over a week ago but now it is official and actually being done.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys sure you have to wait until November/January get him out? Like, *really* sure?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): conspiracy theorising
I imagine 99.99% of the WHO workers are responsible and want to do everything they can to save as many lives as possible, but at the same time its really obvious that the Director-General of the WHO, Tedros Ghebreyesus, is essentially a puppet of the chinese government and the level of corruption between him and China is staggering. Mr. Ghebreyesus has no training as a doctor and China has poured billions into Mr. Ghebreyesus' native Ethopia with a lot of questionable coincidences of money spending (really unmistakable naked bribery). Under his leadership the WHO has had an insane amount of charges of racism, sexism, and corruption leveled against it.
apnews.com

AP Exclusive: UN health chief orders probe into misconduct

LONDON (AP) — The head of the World Health Organization has ordered an internal investigation into allegations the U.N. health agency is rife with racism, sexism and corruption, after a series of anonymous emails with the explosive charges were sent to top managers last year.

The WHO is led by someone who is just as incompetent and corrupt as Trump, they just report to different masters.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

twitter.com

Yamiche Alcindor on Twitter

“President Trump says U.S. is pulling funding to WHO because the group praised China's "transparency." Below is President Trump's tweet from January 24 praising China's transparency. https://t.co/zVew3c212c”

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But doesn't the US owe money to the WHO?

Expect the baliffs any second...

ps3ud0 8)

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was floated over a week ago but now it is official and actually being done.

He actually said it was happening at the time (in the quote I provided). Later he took it back and claimed he never said it

"I'm not saying that I'm going to do it. But we're going to look at it," he said. When a reporter noted that he had indeed said the funding would end, Mr. Trump insisted, wrongly: "No, I didn't. I said we're going to look at it."

So I don't see how him saying it in a press conference today makes it any more official or reliable than when he said it in a press conference last week

OP
OP

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine 99.99% of the WHO workers are responsible and want to do everything they can to save as many lives as possible, but at the same time its really obvious that the Director-General of the WHO, Tedros Ghebreyesus, is essentially a puppet of the chinese government and the level of corruption between him and China is staggering. Mr. Ghebreyesus has no training as a doctor, had no previous health management experience, and China has poured billions into Mr. Ghebreyesus' native Ethopia with a lot of questionable coincidences of money spending (really unmistakable naked bribery). Under his leadership the WHO has had an insane amount of charges of racism, sexism, and corruption leveled against it.
apnews.com

LONDON (AP) — The head of the World Health Organization has ordered an internal investigation into allegations the U.N. health agency is rife with racism, sexism and corruption, after a series of anonymous emails with the explosive charges were sent to top managers last year.

The WHO is led by someone who is just as incompetent and corrupt as Trump.
Frankly I find the WHO's conduct on Taiwan to be quite grotesque, and all of this is valid. But I feel like stuff of this nature should be settled after the pandemic and not during.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
He's right. But cutting off funding doesnt help, the US should be influencing the WHO not pushing them closer to China.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
I imagine 99.99% of the WHO workers are responsible and want to do everything they can to save as many lives as possible, but at the same time its really obvious that the Director-General of the WHO, Tedros Ghebreyesus, is essentially a puppet of the chinese government and the level of corruption between him and China is staggering. Mr. Ghebreyesus has no training as a doctor and China has poured billions into Mr. Ghebreyesus' native Ethopia with a lot of questionable coincidences of money spending (really unmistakable naked bribery). Under his leadership the WHO has had an insane amount of charges of racism, sexism, and corruption leveled against it.
apnews.com

The WHO is led by someone who is just as incompetent and corrupt as Trump, they just report to different masters.
Yeah, agreed with this. The WHO definitely has some skeletons in the closet

however that doesn't excuse trump from using this moment to deflect from his own shiftiness

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
This fucks everyone but especially fucks those in developing nations who rely on the WHO as a corner stone of their responses to health crisis.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Lol, piece of shit is probably seeing his poll numbers slide and is starting to get desperate as more people come to understand how badly he failed to take action early. And when Trump is desperate, expect him to project like nobody has ever projected before. It's easy to do when your lemming supporters go along with it.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly I find the WHO's conduct on Taiwan to be quite grotesque, and all of this is valid. But I feel like stuff of this nature should be settled after the pandemic and not during.

Taiwan isn't just shut out of the WHO, it's shut out of pretty much all international organizations that matter. Unless more nations are willing to step up in recognizing Taiwan as an independent nation, it will remain that way. Seems misplaced to put the onus on the WHO.

apnews.com

This reads like conspiratorial rambling with the weird China allusions, to be frank. No substance, but quite heavy on the allegations.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Puts a whole new meaning to "Know your enemy." A completely stupid meaning of course. Like, know who the actual enemy is.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
apnews.com

Thats exactly what I've seen happening with him. So now its whose your daddy? Trump or Xi? I think Xi is going to win this round. China is all about saving face.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much of WHO is funded by the USA? Like is this a move that is going to hit them hard, or is more just making a statement?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He actually said it was happening at the time (in the quote I provided). Later he took it back and claimed he never said it

So I don't see how him saying it in a press conference today makes it any more official or reliable than when he said it in a press conference last week
He doesn't even care if it's actually happening. All he wants to do is win the daily news cycle. If he can do it twice with the same news, bonus!

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You don't have to be a brain genius to recognize that no longer getting any funding from the US would bias the organization towards China.

The WHO --- is seen, by some, as having a healthy bias toward China to begin with.

apnews.com