• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 6, 2019
That is the first borderline reasonable thing I have heard out of this dumdum's mouth. We'd not be back to normal, but the worst could be over by then.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump was using Pence on Friday trying to walk back his reopening date from Easter after Massachusetts Governor Baker literally told Trump "no":

www.politico.com

GOP governor breaks with Trump: 'We're not going to be up and running by Easter'

Trump has floated Easter as a target date to relax social distancing guidelines.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said Friday his state will not be back to normal by Easter, bucking President Donald Trump's suggestion that the country could loosen social distancing guidelines by the April 12 holiday amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"The information we're getting from public health experts and from health care providers here in Massachusetts — yeah, no," Baker, a Republican, said during a Friday morning press conference in Boston. "We're not going to be up and running by Easter, no."

Citing the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic, Trump has floated Easter as a target date to relax social distancing guidelines. Some medical experts fear that date is too early and could exacerbate the spread of the virus.

Vice President Mike Pence on Friday called Trump's proposed Easter deadline an "aspirational goal," and said the administration will assess data on a county-by-county basis. Pence is in charge of the White House coronavirus response effort.

"The president said he would love to see it around Easter, but whenever that day is that we can responsibly begin to open up portions of the country," Pence said during a CNBC interview. "But let me be very clear, there's going to be areas of the country where we need to continue to lean into mitigation efforts."

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? Him at least pushing for June rather than Easter (mid april?) kind of makes me ecstatic

I am not optimistic we'll be out of the worst by then but that is at least a somewhat sane target and shows that forkface will at least keep pushing back the date rather than try to force something completely insane.

He's just going to frustrate people and business who will keep having the rug pulled out from under them, rather than plan on an extended freeze with payments and loans made widely available.

We'll obviously do the opposite of that because we're led by idiots and goons

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
OE2HNGA39iTeE5aJPcwL8RjBn0yJwQs6DszHtgrKFf0.jpg

Lmao

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is probably the most realistic thing he's said so far. We're going to have really really really big fucking problems if we're not on the back end of the curve by June.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge Trump critic but he's just doing damage control for the markets. He's said and done way worse during this thing that more worthy of critique.

Lurch

Banned
Mar 28, 2020
I don't believe anything Trump says but I hate words like "indefinitely" call it false hope if you want but deadlines are good for my mental state. I wish governments would give (realistic) estimates on when I can have a fucking life again

You nailed it perfectly. Humans, especially those in North America that have lived a cushy lifestyle for generations, arent mentally equipped for uncertainty. They need a focus, a "light at the end of the tunnel" if you will. Just saying "indefinitely" will fill the general public with dread.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You nailed it perfectly. Humans, especially those in North America that have lived a cushy lifestyle for generations, arent mentally equipped for uncertainty. They need a focus, a "light at the end of the tunnel" if you will. Just saying "indefinitely" will fill the general public with dread.
Constantly moving your dates and deadlines is the worst thing you can do in all scenarios. If you want to talk hopeless and (even more) incompetent, you make it clear that you don't have any idea when something will change. Folks need instructions on how to get to those deadlines, not just a date thrown out into the wind with nothing to back it up.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
We will be lucky to be trending down by then, because right now things sure as fuck arent getting better. Certainly not enough to make any kind of assertions about when we can open everything back up

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone ever watched the episode of the Simpsons where Homer became Trash Commissioner? Trumps campaign and Presidency has completely mirrored it. The U2 cameo was replaced by Kid Rock and Kanye West.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
"I just know this is going to be the best Halloween ever! Imagine all those trick or treaters. It's going to be perfect!"

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Fauci: "Mr. President, if we continue to aggressively enact and enforce safety measures, the worst of this could be over by June."
Dipshit: "So this is done by June 1st?"
Fauci: "Well no, I'm saying the worst of it could be over by June if we--"
Dipshit: "GREAT JUNE 1ST TWEET IT"

I promise that's how every one of these meetings go.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Fauci: "Mr. President, if we continue to aggressively enact and enforce safety measures, the worst of this could be over by June."
Dipshit: "So this is done by June 1st?"
Fauci: "Well no, I'm saying the worst of it could be over by June if we--"
Dipshit: "GREAT JUNE 1ST TWEET IT"

I promise that's how every one of these meetings go.

I feel like you brought us directly into that meeting.

May 26, 2018
So we definitely will not be getting better June 1st.

Every time he gives a date, I'm just going to assume it's bullshit and keep pushing out my own internal predictions.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So we definitely will not be getting better June 1st.

Every time he gives a date, I'm just going to assume it's bullshit and keep pushing out my own internal predictions.

He'll taut the states past their apex as the victory while states still before or at their apex as anomalies that have had bad state responses thanks to governors. Red state governors in May, prepare to be thrown under the Trump Bus like so many loyalists before you. And best of all, red state governors like Florida's will deserve a fair bit of blame for what's to come, so it'll be a winning strategy for Trump to just shift his own share of the blame onto them - his supporters will eat that up no problem.

May 26, 2018
He'll taut the states past their apex as the victory while states still before or at their apex as anomalies that have had bad state responses thanks to governors. Red state governors in May, prepare to be thrown under the Trump Bus like so many loyalists before you. And best of all, red state governors like Florida's will deserve a fair bit of blame for what's to come, so it'll be a winning strategy for Trump to just shift his own share of the blame onto them - his supporters will eat that up no problem.

They won't be thrown under the bus. They'll be called victims to the evil hoarding of the democrat hospitals, or whatever conspiracy theory Trump is spreading at the time to protect himself.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They won't be thrown under the bus. They'll be called victims to the evil hoarding of the democrat hospitals, or whatever conspiracy theory Trump is spreading at the time to protect himself.

I see the timeline of events as

1) Red state leadership being dumb and not properly preparing for the virus (amplifying the poor federal response)
2) Red states see cases/deaths explode over April/May
3) Red state voters pissed that this was allowed to happen to them, and in many cases rightly blaming governor for help in fucking it up
4) Governors go in self protection mode and say they could've done more with federal supplied tests/respirators/materials
5) Trump throws said governors under the bus

I don't think folks in red states that see their friends and family by the thousands are going to be satisfied with general "it musta been them blue states" when those blue states are hit just as quicker and harder due to population density differences. They're going to want blood, and honestly the truth is all right there unfolding right now - lots of governors and the federal government are fucking this up, and there's going to be a finger pointing war after everything begins to calm down.

May 26, 2018
I see the timeline of events as

1) Red state leadership being dumb and not properly preparing for the virus (amplifying the poor federal response)
2) Red states see cases/deaths explode over April/May
3) Red state voters pissed that this was allowed to happen to them, and in many cases rightly blaming governor for help in fucking it up
4) Governors go in self protection mode and say they could've done more with federal supplied tests/respirators/materials
5) Trump throws said governors under the bus

I don't think folks in red states that see their friends and family by the thousands are going to be satisfied with general "it musta been them blue states" when those blue states are hit just as quicker and harder due to population density differences. They're going to want blood, and honestly the truth is all right there unfolding right now - lots of governors and the federal government are fucking this up, and there's going to be a finger pointing war after everything begins to calm down.

This all assumes they have an attachment to reality, though. Friends and family may die, but they'll still be watching the shit out of Fox News.

We'll see.

Nov 30, 2017
The fact is we are not returning to normal till majority of the population is vaccinated.

That means we have to have a vaccine ready, mass produced, distributed, then have millions of people be vaccinated.

Can anyone guess what that timeframe is?

Oct 26, 2017
The fact is we are not returning to normal till majority of the population is vaccinated.

That means we have to have a vaccine ready, mass produced, distributed, then have millions of people be vaccinated.

Can anyone guess what that timeframe is?

next year, they've already begun testing vaccines on humans but it takes a year or longer to monitor them to ensure no long term issues before rolling it out to everyone.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm a huge Trump critic but he's just doing damage control for the markets. He's said and done way worse during this thing that more worthy of critique.
And? Seems like the President changing pandemic targets during a crises is newsworthy no? Let me guess, when he changes it to August in two months you'll also be claiming this isn't really news worthy?

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
He'll keep moving goalposts and most media will just keep reporting whatever he says every day and doing no analysis of it (beyond occasional surface election horserace comments). Local TV/radio media is the worst for this. They just air his press conferences and then restate what he says, and that's the news!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
And? Seems like the President changing pandemic targets during a crises is newsworthy no? Let me guess, when he changes it to August in two months you'll also be claiming this isn't really news worthy?
No, it's newsworthy. It is a worldwide pandemic lol. All I'm saying is that it seems Fauci is at least persuading the mad man. But yeah, Trump has botched this overall from the ramp-up and response.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
By June 1st: "It'll be over by July 4th and we'll have the greatest celebration, the fireworks, everything will be great. Wouldn't we all like that? I think we would, it'll be over by July 4th, believe me."

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
So on like May 20th he's going to be all "I NEVER SAID JUNE 1ST!! LAME NEWS MEDIA IS TRYING TO RUIN ME!!" right?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
By June 1st: "It'll be over by July 4th and we'll have the greatest celebration, the fireworks, everything will be great. Wouldn't we all like that? I think we would, it'll be over by July 4th, believe me."

Trump is like that guy always trying to explain to the loan shark why the payment is coming real soon. Except that the loan shark is America, and 30% of it is ready to reelect him no questions asked.