• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if the pieces are falling into place, or if the place is falling to pieces.

Why not both I guess.

These are the top of nuclear control rods, on top of a reactor, from the show Tchernobyl.

they are jumping, because of the insane pressure inside the reactor.

A second before it all blew up in a catastrophic fashion

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The generation before them saw blood and death on a maddening scale. Conversely, the boomers saw their wealth and relative security constantly under thre

Did the older generation become more tolerant? They saw blood and death on such a scale that I think most of them just tried to make sure that would never happen again. Many of them returned to a world that was changing much faster than they could, but really only demanded that they knuckle down and work to keep things moving forward - consoled by the belief that those in power were doing what they could to avoid the end.

But Boomers grew up with enemies in the shadows, potential nuclear death at any time, a maturing propaganda machine and rapid advancement in telecommunications. When they were young they were hopeful and believed that kindness and love was sufficient to stop anything. But as they got older and had to participate in the machine we see the machine starts to feed their greed and paranoia.

Yes, neoliberalism definitely exacerbated the worst elements of their entitlement - but I think their move towards more regressive and racist beliefs is because they kept drinking from the same well - a well they kept pissing in. I think it was like a less focused YouTube algorithm - the more they triggered their greed and paranoia, the more that option presented itself, the more the propaganda machine spread it.

I'm not convinced it is as clear cut.

Lets take Britain as an example - post war migrants were treated fairly horrifically especially in places like London. But over time the Boomer generation took over and the acceptance of people became more and more in favour. There are clearly micro and macro political events that dictate specific situations. But in general I'd argue that something socially has flipped a switch in most boomers' views on immigration - is it a more connected society? Is it the recession that ultimately they were responsible for but cannot face up to? Is it smaller scale than that and more meme like? I don't know - but I have a feeling there are a combination of things going on. One of which is that as people get older they have a fascination with returning to child-like times. And I think one shared sentiment amongst many boomers is "it never used to be this bad". So go back to "the mythical time when everything was great" generally means a time before they knew how fucked up the world was.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
To be fair, I believe that it was his stupidity that made him relatable to the average idiot.

That and the racism ofcourse.

Not so much his ignorance, but rather his tendency to lash out in anger at anyone who critized him/them. That and his open embrace of victimhood. His base felt they were on the losing side of the cultural cold war and wanted someone who lashed out at their political enemies on their behalf while at the same time letting the rest of the world know how bad they were being treated.

Roberts will over see the impeachment, not Mitch.

Technically Roberts oversees an impeachment trial, but it'll be Mitch in the director's chair since there are very few established guidelines for such a trial and I believe it's possible for rules to be changed as long as a majority votes on it.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people like Trump exist? Like, get me off this mental asylum of a planet. I exhausted my expletives vocabulary.
He's the result of centuries of patriarchy, capitalism, and colonialism. He's an amalgamation of all the violence enacted on this world by people who worship domination and hierarchy.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Proof that anyone, no matter how idiotic, can become President.

People used to say that the whole "anyone can be President if they set their mind to it" axiom was fantasy.

We have living proof it's not.

Nah, it's still very exclusive. You have to be born in to a awful lot of money to become president if you're an idiot of Trump's calibre

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
"I deserve to meet my accuser"

so now he is working the Republican me2 strategy

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
My mind simply can not comprehend the amount of idioticy that is still coming from him for an entire week. How the fuck all of this happened? Like yeah, people have different lol views, but why the fuck would someone vote for this imbecile . Every time I hear his fucking voice or when i have a chance to admire his extensive vocabulary through his tweets, my head is ready to exlode.

Oct 27, 2017
You bots are animals wishing death on everyone. Not that any of this Trump stuff is real.

I'm not a bot though? And I'm not sure what you mean by none "of this Trump stuff is real".

And yes, he's an evil rapist racist piece of shit who is eroding the integrity of western politics and I will pop a bottle of bubbly the day the awful cunt dies.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
There is something very interesting about the baby boomer generation in the USA and UK. The generation enjoyed relatively the greatest increase in wealth and quality of life relevant to the previous generation ever seen (and probably that ever will be seen). They were a huge part of the 60's protest movement and generally through the 60s and 70s instrumental in achieving gains in equality, social justice shaking up previous conservative social views maintained by the state and reflected back down in society.

I find it very tricky to go from there to their celebration of right wing 80's boom and bust politics (both in US and UK) their subsequent fall out, embracing of centre left democracies followed by a retreat to the far right in the last 20 years. You can look at circumstances and the like but a generation of people have (obviously not universally but in numbers large enough to gain majorities) moved across the political spectrum in a way I'm not sure we've ever seen before. We've seen lurches clearly but usually in response to fairly dramatic world events and usually not focussed so specifically on a generation.

Super easy. The world isn't JUST for them anymore. So they're upset and have thrown a tantrum.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
He is scared and for good reason.
Yup.

He as no where to go. He can't simply resign and walk away which is what I think he really wants to do. He'll instantly face charges in New York and who knows where else. His only goal is to run out the clock by getting reelected but even that is now a problem. He honestly believed that the Dems would never go down this road. I think that is the big thing. Since he's beyond stupid he kept doing more and more corrupt and dumb things after pushing out everyone that protected him from himself. He knows now that he could very well be Impeached.

People forget that Republicans fear Trump and his base because of primaries. It's always been said the second that threat lessens they'll cut him loose because they don't like him. With the majority of people being okay with the Impeachment Inquiry and more still will be okay with actual Impeachment as more facts come out and they're kept simple they'll vote him out. Not all but enough. I think even with Nixon they were with him right until those tapes came out and these transcripts that were put in that server are this situations equivalent and Dems want them.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Countdown till he threatens to nuke democratic States/cities.

...that I can't even tell how likely that is is crazy.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

He as no where to go. He can't simply resign and walk away which is what I think he really wants to do. He'll instantly face charges in New York and who knows where else. His only goal is to run out the clock by getting reelected but even that is now a problem. He honestly believed that the Dems would never go down this road. I think that is the big thing. Since he's beyond stupid he kept doing more and more corrupt and dumb things after pushing out everyone that protected him from himself. He knows now that he could very well be Impeached.

People forget that Republicans fear Trump and his base because of primaries. It's always been said the second that threat lessens they'll cut him loose because they don't like him. With the majority of people being okay with the Impeachment Inquiry and more still will be okay with actual Impeachment as more facts come out and they're kept simple they'll vote him out. Not all but enough. I think even with Nixon they were with him right until those tapes came out and these transcripts that were put in that server are this situations equivalent and Dems want them.
Yeah, I question anybody's judgment who kept pushing nonsense like, "he wants to be impeached!"

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017

The military would never let him.

They would do anything to talk him out of it, regardless of his authority over nuclear weapons.

The military is not going to let millions of Americans die.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The dude is seriously promoting civil war now? Man, this guy REEEAALLLYY needs to go. Like, yesterday.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

I think that would be out of character, actually. His nuke fantasy is that he'd nuke someplace and be hailed as a hero for it. Not doing it because he's backed into a corner.

Likewise, he still thinks he's the hero in this story. He thinks he's rallying the masses to rise up and save the country (by saving him).

But I can't completely rule it out; he's clearly becoming even more unstable.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Are people really surprised by this? It's just a preview of the violence he's going to incite if he loses in 2020 (assuming that he survives this scandal).

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm still angry about his use of the word "accuser", like it's not true, like he didn't release documentation that immediately proved that the claims were accurate.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017

Cadet Bone Spurs would never get his own hands dirty, he's just a smidge smarter than that and will always beseech others to commit violence on his behalf. We'll get numerous dog whistle calls to different parts of the base to do something something The Second Amendment

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
The Mango Mussolini is having a twitter meltdown right now and GOP members are spinning their ass off on Twitter. Something about to drop?

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I think that would be out of character, actually. His nuke fantasy is that he'd nuke someplace and be hailed as a hero for it. Not doing it because he's backed into a corner.

Likewise, he still thinks he's the hero in this story. He thinks he's rallying the masses to rise up and save the country (by saving him).

But I can't completely rule it out; he's clearly becoming even more unstable.

Absolutely - I think it unlikely still, but it boggles my mind that it is not 100% sure not a threat he will make (regardless of actual intent/ability to follow through), and people still support him. Hell, people probably would even if he did make the threat. Something is very wrong with the minds of about a third of the population.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The thing about MLK's "White Moderate" speech isn't to slide into realpolitik and just...accept it in every instance it pops up. It should be to call it out and condemn it.

Because I'm tired of going from 1 atrocity to the next atrocity (we still have concentration camps) with my 'allies' dragging their feet because it's inconvenient to them. Like existence itself is now inconvenient to many many many people, mostly minorities, and it's always been met with a collective shrug.

And those same 'allies' then wonder how Trump spawned into existence...