• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
www.washingtonian.com

Trump Hotel Employees Reveal What It Was Really Like Catering to the Right Wing Elite - Washingtonian

Everyone knew Table 72 belonged to the President. The round booth in the middle of the Trump Hotel’s mezzanine was impossible to miss. It didn’t matter how many Congress members were clamoring for a reservation at the steakhouse or whether some tourist tried to slip a manager some cash (which...

As soon as Trump was seated, the server had to "discreetly present" a mini bottle of Purell hand sanitizer. (This applied long before Covid, mind you.) Next, cue dialogue: "Good (time of day) Mr. President. Would you like your Diet Coke with or without ice?" the server was instructed to recite. A polished tray with chilled bottles and highball glasses was already prepared for either response. Directions for pouring the soda were detailed in a process no fewer than seven steps long—and illustrated with four photo exhibits. The beverage had to be opened in front of the germophobe commander in chief, "never beforehand." The server was to hold a longneck-bottle opener by the lower third of the handle in one hand and the Diet Coke, also by the lower third, in the other. Once poured, the drink had to be placed at the President's right-hand side. "Repeat until POTUS departs."

Trump always had the same thing: shrimp cocktail, well-done steak, and fries (plus sometimes apple pie or chocolate cake for dessert). Popovers—make it a double for the President—had to be served within two minutes and the crustaceans "immediately." The manual instructed the server to open mini glass bottles of Heinz ketchup in front of Trump, taking care to ensure he could hear the seal make the "pop" sound.

Garnishes were a no-no. Melania Trump once sent back a Dover sole because it was dressed with parsley and chives, says former executive chef Bill Williamson, who worked at the restaurant until the start of the pandemic. Trump himself never returned a plate, but if he was disappointed, you can bet the complaint would travel down the ranks. Like the time the President questioned why his dining companion had a bigger steak. The restaurant already special-ordered super-sized shrimp just for him and no one else. Next time, they'd better beef up the beef.

"It was the same steak. Both well done. Maybe it was a half ounce bigger or something, I don't know," says Williamson, who had previously run the kitchens of DC staples Birch & Barley and the Riggsby. The chef had always prepared a bone-in rib eye or filet mignon for Trump. After Steakgate, he switched to a 40-ounce tomahawk. Trump would never again gripe that he didn't have the greatest, hugest, most beautiful steak.

One more thing. Don't forget the snacks. A tray of junk food needed to be available for every Trump visit: Lay's potato chips (specifically, sour cream and onion), Milky Way, Snickers, Nature Valley Granola Bars, Tic Tacs, gummy bears, Chips Ahoy, Oreos, Nutter Butters, Tootsie Rolls, chocolate-covered raisins, and Pop-Secret.

The upper echelon of hotel management portrayed themselves as true Trump believers, but the majority of those who fed and cleaned up after the right-wing clientele were ambivalent at best. They clocked in because the place paid well. Really well. Michel Rivera, a former bartender at the lobby bar, says he pulled in more than $100,000 a year with tips (at least $30K more than he made at the Hay-Adams). He says it's the best-paying job he's had in his 25-year career, with generous health benefits to boot—a comment echoed by many other ex-employees.

"People would literally come up to me and give me $100 bills and be like, 'You must be the best bartender in the world if you work here!' " Rivera says. "A group of three or four guys would come up, have a round of drinks—I could easily sell them over $1,000. You don't see that at too many bars." One restaurant manager says she's never worked anyplace else where guests would so often try to grease her palm "like the old Mafia days," angling for proximity to power. "I'd have people try to palm me to get closer to someone's table, if a politician was in, or try to sit at Trump's table, which is a big no-no," she says. "I declined, obviously. I would get fired if we moved someone to Trump's table."

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
He absolutely sounds like your everyday man. Truly one with the common folk!

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
"Former executive chef Bill Williamson"

RDR2_Artwork_Characters_BillWilliamson-2240-1600.jpg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The huge tips and big spenders doesn't surprise me considering who was flocking to Trump and trying to get his attention any way possible but the really good benefits is not something I expected.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
One more thing. Don't forget the snacks. A tray of junk food needed to be available for every Trump visit: Lay's potato chips (specifically, sour cream and onion), Milky Way, Snickers, Nature Valley Granola Bars, Tic Tacs, gummy bears, Chips Ahoy, Oreos, Nutter Butters, Tootsie Rolls, chocolate-covered raisins, and Pop-Secret.

How is this man still alive

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
A truly manly man. Well done steak, complaints about others having bigger steaks, freshly opened tiny bottles of ketchup...

The huge tips and big spenders doesn't surprise me considering who was flocking to Trump and trying to get his attention any way possible but the really good benefits is not something I expected.

Maybe knew it could be tough to keep people if they didn't?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I love surf and turf, but for dinner every night? You'd have to get tired of lack of variety right? Plus, a well-done steak? I guess people in cattle country care more about having a racist, nationalist for President than one that desecrates a fine cut of beef. He probably puts ketchup on it too.

I need to read the article because I would have sworn right-wingers would generally be petty and dickish to anyone in the service industry, regardless of where or who they work for.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love my parents but man they always made their steaks well done, didn't have a med rare steak until I was older.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Garnishes were a no-no. Melania Trump once sent back a Dover sole because it was dressed with parsley and chives, says former executive chef Bill Williamson, who worked at the restaurant until the start of the pandemic.
Who lives like this?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well done steak? And I already thought he was a monster...
A lot of folks his age are superstitious about anything less than well done meat being a potential for illness or salmonella. I suspect Trump always eats well done food for that reason as he's a noted germaphobe.

Oct 25, 2017

That's craft service. He never got over being a tv star.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The snack tray reminds me of the Macaulay Culkin Richie Rich movie. It's a child's indulgent wish fulfillment fantasy, except he's an elderly fascist defying all medical science by subsisting entirely on processed food and sugar indefinitely.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the well-done steak would be enough to make my father turn against Trump.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. The most (pleasant) surprise for me is the employees are actually paid well, with good health benefits.