• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/06/donald-trump-loans-deutsche-bank/

Win or lose in November, one thing won't change for Donald Trump: Over the next few years, his company must settle a series of whopping debts. Before the end of a theoretical second term, his company will have to refinance—or, in a far less likely scenario, pay off—nearly a half-billion dollars in loans linked to some of his most prized assets, including Trump Tower. These debts are maturing at a perilous moment for Trump, whose hotels and resorts have been plagued by declining revenues. And that was before the coronavirus pandemic pummeled the hospitality industry in general and the Trump Organization in particular, forcing the full or partial closure of most of its hotel and resort properties.

Some are guaranteed by Trump himself, meaning a creditor could come after his personal—not corporate—assets if he defaults.

Trump's biggest creditor is Deutsche Bank, which in the late 1990s took a gamble on the real estate developer whose history of corporate bankruptcies made him untouchable by most other lenders. Although Trump and the Frankfurt-based bank pulled off several profitable deals, eventually Deutsche's commercial lending division learned the hard way one reason why other banks considered him persona non grata: If pushed by his creditors on payments, Trump shoves back. In 2008, after he defaulted on a loan for his Chicago hotel and condo development, he filed a multibillion-dollar suit accusing Deutsche Bank and others of contributing to the recent financial meltdown, which he blamed for his inability to repay the loan.

Nevertheless, Deutsche's private banking division, which caters to wealthy clientele, continued to lend to Trump, giving him $125 million, spread over two loans, to finance the purchase and renovation of his Doral golf resort in 2012. Both are floating rate loans, meaning the interest rate fluctuates based on market conditions, which lending experts say usually indicates they are interest-only loans. If so, Trump probably hasn't paid down much if any of the principal and will owe something close to the whole $125 million when the loans come due in 2023.

In 2014, Trump took out a separate floating loan from Deutsche's private bank to bankroll the development of his luxury hotel in Washington, DC. The balance of this $170 million debt is payable in 2024. That year, Trump will also owe Deutsche between $25 million and $50 million in connection with his Chicago hotel and complex.

Even before Trump was elected, Deutsche executives soured on the relationship, turning down Trump's request for a $10 million-plus loan in early 2016, the New York Timesreported. They worried, among other things, how it would look if Trump defaulted and the bank had to pursue the assets of the US president. His most recent financial disclosure no longer lists brokerage and savings accounts at Deutsche's private bank, suggesting he's no longer a client.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Deutsche Bank will never collect. Kennedy, of the Supreme Court, has a son that works for them that effectively rubber stamps everything for Trump.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Not that I'm expecting any comeuppance for Trump, but those hotels are going to be ghost towns when he's out of office.

Oct 25, 2017
He'll just restructure with a sweetheart deal at record low interest rates.

and he'll keep pushing the Fed to go negative.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
ANother reason to vote this fucker out come November. If Trump is president when these loans come due, you best believe that the American people will be paying them. We already are today with expensive official state business being done at this hotels adding to their profits.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of debt would normally block a security clearance (for obvious reasons)

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Why aren't they mentioning the fact that two oligarchs cosigned those loans for Bunker Bitch?
The only person in mainstream televised media I see bringing this stuff up in sufficient regularity and detail is Rachel Maddow. It's like there's too much scandal for people to comprehend.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is gonna just die before he pays it off and let his kids deal with it.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
He's openly stealing tax dollars. He will be fine. I'm sure many of those pop up contractors are related to him in some way. He's a grifter with a blank checkbook.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
For somebody who's apparently so rich, he sure does borrow a lot of money.

Pretty sure his net worth is actually in the negative if you factor in all this debt, right?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of debt would normally block a security clearance (for obvious reasons)

Its very America 🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲 to think that Trump couldn't get a security clearance to mop the floors at the USDA but he can actually be President despite the inability to get any kind of security clearance or possess a single qualification for the office

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sure he's already siphoned off everything he owes (and more) via taxpayer dollars at his various properties. All those golf cart rentals gotta pay for somethin'.

OP
OP
jelly

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There must be a money trail so something for the authorities to dig into post presidency.

Kushner could be in a lot of shit as well with his loans, that 666 Hotel and his other stuff is over a billion easily and he basically got them because he became a Saudi stooge. Not working in Government anymore, he could be proper fucked.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
The only person in mainstream televised media I see bringing this stuff up in sufficient regularity and detail is Rachel Maddow. It's like there's too much scandal for people to comprehend.
It needs to be brought up more considering alot of the oligarch's report back to Putin. Maddow has done some great investigative journalism that needs to be brought up more.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Its very America 🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲 to think that Trump couldn't get a security clearance to mop the floors at the USDA but he can actually be President despite the inability to get any kind of security clearance or possess a single qualification for the office

American stupidity is the new apple pie.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
85935439.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Trump will just have the government buy a bunch of test tubes or hydroxychloroquine from company Trump owns or has a big stake in and he'll then take the profits from that and pay them off.

That's how the government works.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Deutsche Bank will never collect. Kennedy, of the Supreme Court, has a son that works for them that effectively rubber stamps everything for Trump.
I think it's even simpler than that.
It's good business for banks to be friendly with the US presidents.
They know it's bad business to loan him money, all banks do, and they do it anyway, because it's good politics.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If there is anyone who will hold him accountable, it will be financial institutions.
They haven't held him accountable when he was a dumb reality TV star, I seriously doubt they'll do it when he's (ex) president who has the ear of a lot of people and all of the media.
Banks in generally don't tend to hold rich people accountable all that much.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the day I no longer have to see that monstrous Trump logo when I walk towards Mag Mile

I left Chicago while the building was going up and it would have blocked my view being in a neighboring high rise.

Had I stayed another six months I would probably have that fuckers name beaming in my window. Would have driven me insane.