• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Reading this portion:

Costa and other families had been living here under a deferred action designation that federal immigration authorities had granted, in limited number, to those with serious medical problems who require treatment in the US that is often unavailable in their home countries

I am a confused. Is this the actual name of a visa program that allows folks from other countries to come to US seeking specific medical procedures? If so, is the US government actually shutting down the program altogether?

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God damn it. I will celebrate when Trump and everyone in this administration kicks the bucket or gets what they deserve. I hate them so god damn much.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reading this portion:

I am a confused. Is this the actual name of a visa program that allows folks from other countries to come to US seeking specific medical procedures? If so, is the US government actually shutting down the program altogether?

From the article

"Medical deferred action is granted in two-year increments, at government discretion, for people who require medical care in the US"

It's a special visa. And there was no news of the government shutting it down. It's just this administration being pieces of shits

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this portion:

Deferred action is basically the government saying "we're going to NOT send you back because X", with X being things like "because you have children who are naturalized citizens", "because you got here as a little kid and you don't know anywhere else" (DACA), or "because you're undergoing medical treatment for something that might kill you if we send you back and we have a duty of care".

So yes, this is Trump basically telling people on a government-sanctioned visa program to get the fuck out and die.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah... I mean, clearly I've read my material.

"Faith without works is dead." - James 2:17

A church without its principles is just a building, and its congregation just another cult that comes together to feel good and special about themselves.
Yeah, you obviously know your stuff. The problem with the modern conservative evangelical movement in the USA is that there has been a total divorce between faith and works. So long as you have faith, you are saved. It doesn't matter if you actually express you faith through just and loving deeds in the here and now.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Deferred action is basically the government saying "we're going to NOT send you back because X", with X being things like "because you have children who are naturalized citizens", "because you got here as a little kid and you don't know anywhere else" (DACA), "because you're undergoing medical treatment for something that might kill you if we send you back and we have a duty of care".

So yes, this is Trump basically telling people on a government-sanctioned visa program to get the fuck out and die.

But pertaining to this medical treatment sub-category, is there a separate VISA program that allowed these folks to treat themselves or their children? I ask since (from what I understand), DACA and Naturalized citizens are essentially, "citizens" but this feels like a temporary VISA program that can be 'extended' via said 'deferral' which is now being revoked out of the blue.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
All the Republicans in Congress deserve awful deaths just like the Trump administration.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But pertaining to this medical treatment sub-category, is there a separate VISA program that allowed these folks to treat themselves or their children? I ask since (from what I understand), DACA and Naturalized citizens are essentially, "citizens" but this feels like a temporary VISA program that can be 'extended' via said 'deferral' which is now being revoked out of the blue.

Naturalized citizens are for all intents and purposes Americans. DACA recipients are on a temporary Visa program that gets extended every few years, just like this one.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Naturalized citizens are for all intents and purposes Americans. DACA recipients are on a temporary Visa program that gets extended every few years, just like this one.

But the thing with DACA is (afaik) it covers children who were brought to US at a young age by their parents who entered the country illegally. This on the other hand sounds something akin to say, Student Visa, where all the members have been lawfully 'granted' entry into the country on the grounds of medical procedure for a certain period of time which can be deferred according to the medical needs of the person.

So, if my understanding is correct, this is a monumentally fucked up move.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But the thing with DACA is (afaik) it covers children who were brought to US at a young age by their parents who entered the country illegally. This on the other hand sounds something akin to say, Student Visa, where all the members have been lawfully 'granted' entry into the country on the grounds of medical procedure for a certain period of time which can be deferred according to the medical needs of the person.

So, if my understanding is correct, this is a monumentally fucked up move.

Both taking away DACA Visas and this are monumentally fucked-up moves. The only difference is that the death sentencing is more immediate in this case.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really, really looking forward to this asshole's death.
While he may be face of it and approving it, his administration staff is likely the one (i.e. Stephan Miller) coming up with these orders.

This entire administration can fuck off, and I wish nothing but terrible things for them.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Both taking away DACA Visas and this are monumentally fucked-up moves. The only difference is that the death sentencing is more immediate in this case.

Undoubtedly but at the least with DACA the gesture was of empathy and overall kindness befitting a civilized nation. But this is different because entire process was technically 'legal' through and through and now the administration just decided to stop and kick them out, out of the blue. It is a cruelty on a brand new low level.

Were these folks even seeking citizenship in the first place that rattled the cages of these pearl clutching racists?

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This, stealing from FEMA to pay for more concentration camps, and logging old-growth forest, is what is going on either by his idea, or his mooks and handlers when people are distracted by his degenerating hissy fits and clown show babbles.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm almost convinced he's fed up and is doing everything he can to lose 2020. He wants out. He finally realizes the Presidency isn't the glorified reality TV show he convinced himself it is. It's a lot more fun for his ego to disappear into an echo chamber and just lap up the reverb.

This will rally his base and turn them out to vote. He's counting on the opposition not caring enough to show up like in 2016.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
But I'm pretty sure people that still vote for Trump at this point can be good people tough. We can all agree on that I think!

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading this portion:

It's not a visa program, those people had to obtain visa through other ways, and people often use tourist visas for those things.
Deferred action designation is a promise that the government is not gonna deport you. The government generally is not bound by any specific law as to who they should and shouldn't grant those exceptions. For (the most famous) example, they decided to give John Lennon a deferred action and not deport him even though he overstayed his visa and had a drug conviction because... I guess they really liked the Beatles?
And by the way, this is why this is the mechanism that DACA used (The DA in DACA stands for deferred action).

Edit: a lot of posts from the time I started to write this post to the time I finished it, I see a lot of this have been covered.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's not a visa program, those people had to obtain visa through other ways, and people often use tourist visas for those things.
Deferred action designation is a promise that the government is not gonna deport you. The government generally is not bound by any specific law as to who they should and shouldn't grant those exceptions. For (the most famous) example, they decided to give John Lennon a deferred action and not deport him even though he overstayed his visa and had a drug conviction because... I guess they really liked the Beatles?
And by the way, this is why this is the mechanism that DACA used (The DA in DACA stands for deferred action).

Ah, this is precisely what I wanted to learn. Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah... I mean, clearly I've read my material.

"Faith without works is dead." - James 2:17

A church without its principles is just a building, and its congregation just another cult that comes together to feel good and special about themselves.
People are remarkably adept at compartmentalizing and tunnel visioning things like this. Like, we had 400 years or so of literal slavery and...all those Christian white slave owners, their pastors, ministers, apologists, doctors experimenting, and the apathetic/indifferent (they don't get a pass) most assuredly expected entry into the pearly gates.

So you know...yea. People are fascinating.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Stephen Miller doesn't realize he's Jewish does he?
I don't think at this point anyone realizes they are children of immigrants who came to America for a better life and a better future for the coming generations. More so a lot of the flies swarming president shitbag aren't even 5th, 6th, or 6th generation living in America, they're like 2nd or 3rd at best. They are children and grandchildren of immigrants from the early 1900s to the mid 50s, that is what makes it worse. They aren't only willfully ignoring their heritage, they are spitting on their anscestors' graves, and deserve all the time they can in jail.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think at this point anyone realizes they are children of immigrants who came to America for a better life and a better future for the coming generations. More so a lot of the flies swarming president shitbag aren't even 5th, 6th, or 6th generation living in America, they're like 2nd or 3rd at best. They are children and grandchildren of immigrants from the early 1900s to the mid 50s, that is what makes it worse. They aren't only willfully ignoring their heritage, they are spitting on their anscestors' graves, and deserve all the time they can in jail.
Money over everything else I guess.

They are all riding Trump's coat-tails, trying to amass as much wealth and power in a short time as they can.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Stephen Miller doesn't realize he's Jewish does he?

eli-valley-stephen-miller-time-travel-color.jpg