• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impeachment is coming I think.

I think Mantis knows, so he sees no harm in doing it. Trump likely has been pushing Mantis to "retire" for two years. I think him finding out about plans for impeachment was the final thing to push him over the edge.

Nevertheless, at least he is retiring in February, meaning that there will be some semblence of checks and balances by that point. If not a shit ton of subpoenas against Trump.
Pelosi gets the Gavel in two weeks is likely a big factor.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Litteral spittake and cofee went all over my work phone when I saw this come up on the news.

Amazing timing, just 1 day after declaring victory on ISIS

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what geopolitical fuckups should we expect to be at greater risk of happening now that Mattis is out? Pulling troops out of Afghanistan and South Korea seem more likely, as well as Bolton beating the drum for "regime change" in Iran are the biggest things that come to mind for me.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah was thinking the same thing. Isn't the most likely scenario that he takes over? I'd think this is the position he wants the most

mattis was one of ...

Mattis is the only Adult there. We already know trump isn't listening to anyone besides his lapdogs. However, if bolton had his ear, we wouldn't be leaving Syria.

Oh shit, unless we're going to invade Iran some how. I think its just bad in general when the inmates are left the keys. This is what this is. His letter is very clear about what he agrees with, and how Trump needs someone to align with his views. Shit is pretty damning.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

I think Mantis knows, so he sees no harm in doing it. Trump likely has been pushing Mantis to "retire" for two years. I think him finding out about plans for impeachment was the final thing to push him over the edge.

Nevertheless, at least he is retiring in February, meaning that there will be some semblence of checks and balances by that point. If not a shit ton of subpoenas against Trump.
I'm hoping he's stepping down because he knows something is coming.

I'm not sure how to take this resignation.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Mattis was the guy who did the "administrative coup d'etat" against Trump as Woodward's book put it.

The guy talked about how much he got off on killing Muslims in the Gulf War and has a hard-on for invading Iran (who he says ISIS in Syria is a proxy for so no wonder he's pissed). He also went to bat for Trump sending troops to fight the phantom caravan. He can rot in hell.

Whoa!

Can you provide a quote/source on this?

Nov 7, 2017

You do have to wonder when (or if) there is a point where the Republicans say "Enough" and get rid of him. He's actually endangering lives now and things are only going to get worse.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just another day for the traitor president of the USA.
I will also predict: zero protests about this. The USA is not like France, the people can't be bothered to do something about this. The country is, like, way too big and nobody's got the time.
What exactly do you suggest we protest over? That we don't like that Mattis leaving the position?

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does matter. Remember what happened after the Iraq war? ISIS formed...
So what's the fucking plan then? You've been there for seventeen years, and the Taliban is growing in strength, you're sustaining more and more attacks and the civilians are suffering for it. The battle is lost.
Get. Out.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a good time to remind people that Mattis had to remind Trump when he tried to withdraw all our troops from South Korea that it would have signaled to NK that we were about to bomb them and they might try to nuke us in desperation in response.

Also that Mattis was one of the two people to stop Trump from being able to launch a nuke. And that him and McMaster literally discussed with each other what they would do if Trump tried to order one, like having to tackle him or something. So we could at least rely on him to do that if necessary.

What's the next guy gonna do

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It doesn't fucking matter honestly, the U.S has done enough damage already, they can't fucking fix anything by staying there even longer.

Every educated person on the matter, internationally, disagrees with you. We aren't rushing out of South Korea, or any of our NATO bases world-fucking-wide. Its asinine to establish length as a determining factor of national defense/security. We do these things to prevent China/Russia/Iran from strengthening and producing terror around the world.

Thats the CON. Because we let SA/Who blew up our towers to get off scott free. But having an ordered planned withdrawl at the bare minimum makes sense. Talking to experts, makes sense. Pulling out, and leaving our allies fucked over isn't going to be too productive when we have to go back next season, is it? When you need the trust of the native population to help you.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
edit: never mind

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Unless there was an election last week I was unaware of that gave Dems 20 senate seats then no, there is no impeachment coming. People need to stop getting their hopes up on this. The republican party is complicit and will never act against trump. Trump either resigns, or is defeated in 2020.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
So what geopolitical fuckups should we expect to be at greater risk of happening now that Mattis is out? Pulling troops out of Afghanistan and South Korea seem more likely, as well as Bolton beating the drum for "regime change" in Iran are the biggest things that come to mind for me.
Ultimately depends on what Papa Putin wishes.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Unless there was an election last week I was unaware of that gave Dems 20 senate seats then no, there is no impeachment coming. People need to stop getting their hopes up on this. The republican party is complicit and will never act against trump. Trump either resigns, or is defeated in 2020.
I don't totally buy this idea, personally. I think there is a breaking point where the GOP turns on him in order to save face.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'm hoping he's stepping down because he knows something is coming.

I'm not sure how to take this resignation.
As much as I hate army generals in general, they have an absurd amount of dedication to their country. He would not willingly put our country at risk. In fact, he probably would have forced Trump to fire him(which probably would have happened eventually).

The way this letter is written, it screams to me getting away from the administration ASAP, because something is going to happen. The fact that it goes with Trump's wishes is purely coincidental I think.

We are in the endgame now.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Just remember this when the next democratic president comes around and you hear libs lecturing you. This is how much power the president has. And he's exerting it to his full authority with zero repercussion.

Remember what exactly? That the President can fire parts of his cabinet? What are you saying here?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

we might fuck around and invade Venezuela

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
5abbae589831c02e008b4950-1136-852.png

No this is the true reason, go on mattis do the orange bastard

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Updated the thread title to reflect that we have a resignation letter from Mattis now.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Michael Birnbaum @michaelbirnbaum

from the former top US military commander in Europe

stavridisj @stavridisj

Mattis departure deeply worrisome. Very challenging days ahead for the Pentagon and the nation.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every educated person on the matter, internationally, disagrees with you. We aren't rushing out of South Korea, or any of our NATO bases world-fucking-wide. Its asinine to establish length as a determining factor of national defense/security.
Well first off I don't think U.S bases in eastern Asia and Europe are in actual hostile territory and occupying sovereign countries?

We do these things to prevent China/Russia/Iran from strengthening and producing terror around the world.
Your own goddamn actions created ISIS, nobody else. And now the world is busy cleaning up your shit.
Maybe if you didn't drop a hundred thousand bombs a year on people they wouldn't hate you as much.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
If Mattis was arguing to stay in Syria indefinitely after ISIS' defeat to counter Iranian influence and was against pulling out of Afghanistan then I would argue this was a good move. I think we should be cognizant that America has been playing the role of both fire starter and firefighter in the Middle East and the results have been disastrous.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Considering how much of a big disaster a War with Iran would be, and how the Russians have provided arms for the Iranians....fuck yes they would
Any type of war where Russia is providing weapons and troops to someone is a boon for their economy. Its the sole reason why I would see them going to any means necessary to destroy americas influence and world stature and bring them into a conflict where Russia will profit greatly