• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is just posturing for re-election. "Fighting the corrupt media" bullshit, hearing probably wont even start before 2021. He will probably drop the case right before anything gets started

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the lawsuit game him and other powerful rich folk play whenever someone criticizes them. Bury them in bullshit libel suits to get them to shut up.

Trump campaign finally wised up and said "wait, why can't we just do this to the press too"

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the lawsuit game him and other powerful rich folk play whenever someone criticizes them. Bury them in bullshit libel suits to get them to shut up.

Trump campaign finally wised up and said "wait, why can't we just do this to the press too"

The NYT can't get "buried" by a baseless and frivolous libel suit. they have a squad of lawyers for libel sitting around waiting for shit to do. ANd the basis for this suit is kind of open and shut discovery.

"We said you did bad things and covered them up."

"I didn't, that's libel"

"OK we request the following reasonable and directly pertinent documents and witnesses"

"No wait.."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1233105404894289920
Trump campaign legal adviser Jenna Ellis says this on Fox News: "There are limitations on free speech, and there are limitations on First Amendment protections. When those go into false statements, you have to hold people accountable."

2:03 PM - Feb 27, 2020

David French @DavidAFrench

Between the Trump suit and the Nunes nonsense, the GOP is becoming the party of SLAPP suits -- nuisance lawsuits designed to deter free expression. Pitiful. https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1233105404894289920 …

2:21 PM - Feb 27, 2020

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
I don't understand why opinion pieces are printed in newspapers regardless....don't we literally buy newspapers to gather facts without opinion?

The suit has no standing, but still not sure the reasoning for opinion in a paper of facts.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

Trump Campaign announces libel suit against @washingtonpost for reporting Trump campaign "tried to conspire with" Russia in the 2016 campaign. Trump Campaign seeking compensatory damages in the millions plus punitive damages

2:44 PM - Mar 3, 2020

Jake Tapper @jaketapper

Trump campaign announces another libel suit against a media organization, this time the Washington Post, for two opinion pieces, this one....​
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/13/trump-just-invited-another-russian-attack-mitch-mcconnell-is-making-one-more-likely/ …

2:41 PM - Mar 3, 2020

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

0mw1I8e.gif

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is just a PR move, because there's no way a judge will side with that claim. Not even a conservative one, I'd hope.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Libel for an opinion piece marked as such? Come the fuck on.

How is the Trump campaign not embarrassed to expose their craven absurdity like this? Or are they implying that his base is stupid and sustained by a constant diet of red meat?

I think they're pretty goddamned certain that his base is stupid and easily manipulated.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why opinion pieces are printed in newspapers regardless....don't we literally buy newspapers to gather facts without opinion?

The suit has no standing, but still not sure the reasoning for opinion in a paper of facts.

Newspapers have had opinion sections since newspapers began. They're not Sergeant Friday on Dragnet - who really was pushing his own opinions anyways.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
May 9, 2018
Update: Washington Post getting sued for pretty much the same thing.

Sargent's June 13 column was titled "Trump just invited another Russian attack. Mitch McConnell is making one more likely." The lawsuit contends that it was defamatory because it contained a claim that special counsel Robert S. Mueller III concluded that the campaign "tried to conspire with" Russia in a "sweeping and systematic" attack during the 2016 election.

Waldman raised a similar issue in his column published June 20, writing, "Who knows what sort of aid Russia and North Korea will give to the Trump campaign, now that he has invited them to offer their assistance?" The campaign said that statement was false and defamatory because it is "not seeking Russia's or North Korea's help in the 2020 election."

Complaint: http://assets.donaldjtrump.com/2017/web/hero_images/Complaint_Wash_Post_Final.pdf