• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more we find out over the coming weeks the more we're going to find out we were a cunt hair away from a legitimate coup if not for the abject ineptitude of the Trump admin.

Thank god for morons.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The 2016 election? I'm on board for that. Let's go for it.

I'm to the point of condemning all things Trump to Damnatio memoriae, we just didn't have a President for the past 4 years, 15 seasons of the US version of The Apprentice was hosted by Arnold Schwarzenegger (who also made a cameo appearance in Home Alone 2 as himself), etc.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The more we find out over the coming weeks the more we're going to find out we were a cunt hair away from a legitimate coup if not for the abject ineptitude of the Trump admin.

Thank god for morons.

if you\re a smarter fascist taking notes though, this is all too easy to pull off. If we dont change laws/amend constitution or something, we will be here again shortly.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm ok with holding the trial a little, because the shit is only going to pile on.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Jeffrey Clark is coincidentally a graduate of the Biden School of Public Policy at the University of Delaware.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
You know the really stupid part was overturning GA would still have resulted in him losing the election.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Garland on day one of walking into that DOJ

524858.gif

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly every day there is more news on how bad it could have been or how organized it was. The evidence just keeps adding up.
I have a feeling the impeachment trial ending won't mean the end of public hearings about the coup. We heard about Benghazi for years. This was significantly worse in terms of being an immediate threat to our government.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The GOP still hasn't decided how they're going to respond to this. It's insanity that they let it get this far (at least the ones who didn't back open sedition), but most of them are still thinking they can restore the status quo without acknowledging this at all.

They can't possibly think that letting Trump do this again in 4 years, while stirring violence against his political enemies all the while, is something they will all survive.

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Right.

This is full blown election interference. Even if it didn't work.

Once again, imagine coming away clean with what happened in 2016 and then doing this.

Trump really think he's above the law, untouchable.
As president, he operated above the law with an AG Barr who went on record saying that he personally believes that the president is above the law. Emoluments clause? pfft. The man misappropriated hundreds of millions of dollars of relief funding. He was caught in more lies than any human I can think of, and yet nothing took him down. Russian meddling in the election and acting with agents of his campaign? pfft. He pardoned his loyalists who went to jail for not incriminating him. His own personal lawyer went down, ratted him out and nothing happened to Trump. He enjoys a deified status under a mass indoctrination psuedo-cult. I would argue that he is indeed untouchable. I hope that changes.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The GOP still hasn't decided how they're going to respond to this. It's insanity that they let it get this far (at least the ones who didn't back open sedition), but most of them are still thinking they can restore the status quo without acknowledging this at all.

They can't possibly think that letting Trump do this again in 4 years, while stirring violence against his political enemies all the while, is something they will all survive.
There is no indication that they won't survive. Over 70% of Republicans think that the election was stolen. That is a staggering number of people. They are going to continue to pander to those people because that's the playbook that they know works. They did their post-mortem in 2012 and decided that reaching out to POC was unacceptable to them. This is who they are. It's our job as liberals to continue pressing, continue activating new voters, continue to win elections, continue to keep these ghouls from power.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The Impeachment article specifically references his attempts to overturn the Georgia results, so this is all going to be evidence for the trial.

It's worth noting that he did succeed in doing this sort of installation of lackeys in several other places, such as the Pentagon.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Right.

Once again, imagine coming away clean with what happened in 2016 and then doing this.

The only reason he wants to stay as president is not because he likes the job, but to avoid facing lawsuits & the possibility of prison through state charges. That is why he had said he wants a 3rd term among other shit & did everything that he could to sabotage the election so that he won't ever be held accountable.

Oct 31, 2017

I think the GOP'ers who can recognize all of this for what it actually is know that they are probably damned if they do, damned if they don't. That if they try to actually be held accountable for everything that's transpired, their political careers very well could be over because they've fomented the crazy forever now.

But that if they try to let it slide maybe people will forget (and forgive). And I think their calculus right now is that the second option (try to worm through it like they always do) is the best option, because 1.) their voting bloc is now a majority of cult-like members and 2.) people have terrible memories in this country, regardless of political ideology, but especially propaganda doused GOP voters.

So yeah, I'm thinking they might hedge their bets in the worst possible way. I mean, it's what they've done forever so why change course now?

Either way, yeah I think they are screwed just like Lindsey knew those years ago. The craven assholes aren't all stupid.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
This was a PR stunt. Get Georgia to turn and cast enough doubt that the whole thing is stale.

like, IMO, fbi should be going after all the" sworn affidavits " that claimed they witnessed fraud

It wasn't a PR stunt. But it became a PR stunt.

The reason for the focus on Georgia was they thought it was going to be the 2000 Florida of 2020.

Trump would win, but recounts would happen. Then they would get the recount cancelled like in 2000 for the same reasons. That's why they kept citing the Bush v Gore case.

The problem was that Georgia was the least of thier problems. Trump had lost by several states. Instead of taking the L they decided to just proceed and use Georgia as a starting point to overturn the other States.

It was doomed from the beginning, they never had any legal front for what they were doing.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly love some better defined and easier paths to disbarment for lawyers like Clark who blatantly try to circumvent the law like this.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Too late for the Dems to revise those ol' impeachment articles to add in this fuckery and resubmit to the Senate?

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Too late for the Dems to revise those ol' impeachment articles to add in this fuckery and resubmit to the Senate?

Trump is a private citizen now. Why bother with making the impeachment more complex than it needs to be? Just have the DoJ investigate and, if necessary, hand out indictments.

Also, congressional hearings are still a thing. Particularly now that they have no means of just ignoring subpoenas.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Trump is a private citizen now. Why bother with making the impeachment more complex than it needs to be? Just have the DoJ investigate and, if necessary, hand out indictments.

Also, congressional hearings are still a thing. Particularly now that they have no means of just ignoring subpoenas.
Precedent, precedent, precedent. This isn't about just Trump--or at least, it shouldn't be. Impeachable offenses should always be impeached, in theory. Now that the Senate is finally on the ropes, time to establish yet another abuse of office which should be totally unacceptable going forward. Pull no punches.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
They didn't impeach Trump for that, only for inciting his mob in DC. They thought about it, but didn't do it.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure there was a 2nd article of Impeachment proposed by Ilhan Omar, but they incorporated it into the 1st Article for Citing Violent in DC and attempting to overturn the election in GA. So I believe it was wisely all rolled into one Article of Impeachment. So all this would not be evidence to support that.
I didn't read the actual final article.... only saw the ones proposed. Just heard they were combined in the end.

My question is, when do they start going after the congress members that either were directly involved, and the ones that were sympathetic to the cause?
Would it be wise to out them before the impeachment trial, or wait till after?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Again, the house doesn't bring an important article of impeachment to the floor. Dude is obviously guilty.

feel justified for feeling how I felt while people were screaming "fearmonger" dude was legit trying to take over the country up until his last day.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure there was a 2nd article of Impeachment proposed by Ilhan Omar, but they incorporated it into the 1st Article for Citing Violent in DC and attempting to overturn the election in GA. So I believe it was wisely all rolled into one Article of Impeachment.

You're right about that. The Georgia thing is actually mentioned in the final text of the impeachment resolution:

President Trump's conduct on January 6, 2021, followed his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the results of the 2020 Presidential election. Those prior efforts included a phone call on January 2, 2021, during which President Trump urged the secretary of state of Georgia, Brad Raffensperger, to "find" enough votes to overturn the Georgia Presidential election results and threatened Secretary Raffensperger if he failed to do so.

So it seems that they could actually bring *any* of his efforts to subvert or nullify the results of the election up in the impeachment trial (given that the Raffensperger call is just brought up as one example).

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Considering they need 2/3 of the Congress present to vote to convict, and the best bet for that to happen is to make sure that some R's don't show up to vote.
Wouldn't it be wise to seek to remove any congress members guilty of participation ahead of the trial? Or are they still conducting investigations into how deep that goes and woudl rather wait till they can round them all up at once?

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
It's damn frightening how many times we came so very close to utter tragedy at the end of Trump's term. Shit almost went even more wrong in so many more ways than it actually did go wrong.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
They absolutely can still use this in the impeachment trial as evidence of Trump pushing the idea of non-existent voter fraud to incite insurrection. The article says they would have faked that they had evidence to force GA to overturn the election.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
He repeatedly said that he did not understand why the Justice Department had not found evidence that supported conspiracy theories about the election that some of his personal lawyers had espoused. He declared that the department was not fighting hard enough for him.

If that isn't a big red flag then I don't know what is.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They absolutely can still use this in the impeachment trial as evidence of Trump pushing the idea of non-existent voter fraud to incite insurrection. The article says they would have faked that they had evidence to force GA to overturn the election.
I think the impeachment article does include info about the Georgia call. So yeah let's pile this shit on.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA

Considering Trump is the type to repeatedly say the quiet part our loud, document his intent in full public view on twitter, and hire inexperienced "loyalist" and donors in to high ranking positions, I can all but guarantee you that none of them were savvy enough to not leave the most obvious of paper trails, damning evidence, and witnesses along the way.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It had a remote chance of working.
Biden should work hard to reduce executive power, lest this becomes a dry run. Too much of the US system is based on people acting in good faith, and that ship has very clearly sailed for the Republican party.
Overturning Georgia was irrelevant in the outcome of the election though.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Overturning Georgia was irrelevant in the outcome of the election though.
It wasn't irrelevant.

On the Giuliani voice message to Tuberville, he said they had state legislatures waiting for them to give evidence so they could overturn. It is a reasonable assumption to believe that the plan was to force GA to overturn based on fake evidence and that would give credence for red state legislatures (e.g., PA, MI, WI, AZ) a reason to send their own official electors.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
if you\re a smarter fascist taking notes though, this is all too easy to pull off. If we dont change laws/amend constitution or something, we will be here again shortly.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure there was a 2nd article of Impeachment proposed by Ilhan Omar, but they incorporated it into the 1st Article for Citing Violent in DC and attempting to overturn the election in GA. So I believe it was wisely all rolled into one Article of Impeachment. So all this would not be evidence to support that.
I didn't read the actual final article.... only saw the ones proposed. Just heard they were combined in the end.

My question is, when do they start going after the congress members that either were directly involved, and the ones that were sympathetic to the cause?
Would it be wise to out them before the impeachment trial, or wait till after?

I see you're right. Good! I'm quite glad to be wrong about that. I saw they were considering two articles, and then when they only did one, which said "inciting a riot", I thought the other was discarded, not incorporated.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Right.

Well, he was.

Was.

Welcome to Hard Mode, motherfucker!

OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't irrelevant.

On the Giuliani voice message to Tuberville, he said they had state legislatures waiting for them to give evidence so they could overturn. It is a reasonable assumption to believe that the plan was to force GA to overturn based on fake evidence and that would give credence for red state legislatures (e.g., PA, MI, WI, AZ) a reason to send their own official electors.
This was exactly the plan. This entire election could have quickly gone the other way.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't irrelevant.

I've spent a lot of time wondering what would have happened next. Like... say the pressure campaign against the trio of GA, PA, and AZ worked and legislatures officially voted to decertify the results. Like... what was even the next move? I don't really think any of these moves would have held up to legal scrutiny. But... what would have actually happened?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've spent a lot of time wondering what would have happened next. Like... say the pressure campaign against the trio of GA, PA, and AZ worked and legislatures officially voted to decertify the results. Like... what was even the next move? I don't really think any of these moves would have held up to legal scrutiny. But... what would have actually happened?
Assuming the citizens don't riot and burn down the government, decertifying some of the swing states would have put both candidates under 270 electoral votes. At that point, the VP would be decided by a regular Senate majority vote while the president would be decided by a vote in the House.

You'd think that would give the Democrats the presidential pick but it's a different kind of vote; Each state gets a single vote, majority wins. Since Republicans are in charge of more state legislatures, that vote would probably go their way.

Seeing as how Republicans continue to go off the deep end, I have a feeling we'll see this play out in the next decade or two.