• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Are you missing the Declaration of War part? The President can't declare war on anyway. Secondly, if this moron declares war on Mexico I'm going to the White House myself.
Reread it.

...declaration by the President of a national emergency in accordance with the National Emergencies Act [50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.] that requires or may require use of the Armed Forces, the Secretary, without regard to any other provision of law...

Oct 27, 2017
Cunt does this, then those states should not pay taxes.

As California resident, I would want to see a federal tax freeze for my state.

Time to fucking revolt.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't see how a reprogramming of appropriated funds marked for DoD during a lawfully declared national emergency would be stopped. The way to stop the declaration of an emergency is through a joint resolution of Congress.

Would love to be proven wrong, however.
Right, and and it's incredibly likely congress steps in, in some way. It's also extremely likely the courts will step in.

Last edited:

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a horrible idea.

It's also perfectly legal and pretty much what I expected.

Feel free to read more here: https://www.lawfareblog.com/declaring-emergency-build-border-wall-statutory-arguments.

A less dense summary from Quinta Jurecic is at: https://www.lawfareblog.com/everyone-calm-down-about-declaration-national-emergency.

It's only legal under the assumption the Supreme Court and Congress approve of the justification the president suggests for declaring a national emergency. Even the proposed appropriation of funds from the military to support the building of the wall would be denied, based on precedent that this project has been denied under prior military construction appropriation acts. Even if the appropriation of military funds away from other projects were approved, he'd only be able to get a maximum of $50 million.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If you read the whole thing the "requires use of armed forces" still applies to either starting or ending a war. Hence the "armed" part.

The term "armed forces" means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. It does not have anything to do with a formal war or initiation of hostilities.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
"Go find money!"

"Uh, we're engineers. We dont find money.

"well... then use your money!"

"... but thats our money."

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
This is a horrible idea.

It's also perfectly legal and pretty much what I expected.

Feel free to read more here: https://www.lawfareblog.com/declaring-emergency-build-border-wall-statutory-arguments.

A less dense summary from Quinta Jurecic is at: https://www.lawfareblog.com/everyone-calm-down-about-declaration-national-emergency.

It would be up to Congress to pass legislation that would divert these actions before the judicial system could or would step in.

We all know what McConnell will do.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope those engineers nodded and just ignore Trump

It's not like he'll remember asking this

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, fuck over Texas and Florida, Dotard Donnie.
What could possibly go wrong?

Mar 10, 2018
lol wtf

instead of asking for money he should focus on finding Hilary's missing emails to build the wall, clearly no one can get over that
giphy.gif

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's only legal under the assumption the Supreme Court and Congress approve of the justification the president suggests for declaring a national emergency. Even the proposed appropriation of funds from the military to support the building of the wall would be denied, based on precedent that this project has been denied under prior military construction appropriation acts. Even if the appropriation of military funds away from other projects were approved, he'd only be able to get a maximum of $50 million.
No. You are not entirely correct.

SCOTUS has no (direct) role here, although Congress could pass a joint resolution to terminate the national emergency. And perhaps someone with easier standing (say, someone whose land was taken via eminent domain) could lodge a case before the courts to determine whether the statutes were properly followed.

The point you raise about this kind of construction being specifically denied does indeed impact things here: as I suspect you understand, the President's Executive power is as its lowest ebb when it's contrary to what Congress has said.

You're correct about the maximum of $50M if the authority we're discussing is 10 U.S.C. § 2803:

The first, outlined in 10 U.S.C. § 2803, allows up to $50 million of appropriated funds for military construction to be spent on not-specifically-authorized construction projects if those projects are for the purpose of national security and protecting the safety of U.S. troops.

But the tweet talks about reprogramming USACE funds. That sounds more like 33 U.S.C. § 2293 (https://www.lawfareblog.com/everyone-calm-down-about-declaration-national-emergency):

Section 2293 allows resources to be diverted from existing Army civil works projects to "authorized civil works, military construction, and civil defense projects that are essential to the national defense." Both statutes require a declaration of a national emergency "that requires use of the armed forces" under the 1976 National Emergencies Act.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
This is so mean... Fuck them! So desperate to build his fucking wall, get over it you moron!

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
And how does this get around the posse comitatus act?
I'll add first that I've actually advised commanders on the Posse Comitatus Act.

Because the reprogramming of funds and erecting stupid fucking structures like a border wall doesn't involve carrying out law enforcement functions.

Besides, there's an easier way to "get around" the PCA: provide assistance to feds or Guardsmen on State Active Duty. The active duty military cannot enforce domestic laws. It can, however, provide assistance (like eyes in the sky or handing out water bottles) to law enforcement officials.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
WTF!

Does the Army Corps of Engineer's also pull off of FEMA funding? That's where this money would come from, right?
Legit fucking evil if so. This will hurt a lot of people this year...

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Every goddamn day, I think I lose a little more hair.

Also I read this article in Politico today. Even Republicans think the wall is absurd.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/10/border-lawmakers-spurn-trump-wall-proposal-1071707

Nearly every lawmaker who represents a district or state along the U.S.-Mexico border — including two Republicans — either opposes outright or more quietly declines to support President Donald Trump's $5.7 billion request for a border wall, according to a survey conducted by POLITICO.

POLITICO polled the offices of 17 Senate and House members who represent Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California about Trump's $5.7 billion border barrier request. Only two — Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) — said they supported it.

Hurd, the sole border Republican in the House, makes no secret of his opposition to Trump's $5.7 billion demand. After narrowly winning reelection in November, Hurd was one of seven Republicans who sided with House Democrats last week to reopen shuttered parts of the government without a deal on the wall.

"Everyone tries to act like this is some scary drug cartel movie back in the day," Hurd told CNN on Tuesday. "The reality is that there are people sneaking into the country, we can stop that if we have smart solutions, and that's ultimately going to be relying on technology."

More at the link.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
FEMA just gonna throw their hands up in the air this hurricane season and have to say "well the President wanted a wall, not to help you get back on your feet after your house got blown away/flooded. Oh and people are still getting in illegally. Kthxbye"

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't fit under any of the existing categories of national emergency. That seems like kind of an issue here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think we can agree on the fact that it will be challenged in court immediately.
As soon as there's someone with standing, I agree. I don't know about individual members of Congress (that's dicey), but as soon as someone's land (or land use rights) is impacted -- absolutely.

I'll concede that I'm not aware of any court bearing upon the interpretation of this statute, and I'll add that I haven't read the legislative history. But, as with most things Trump, I suspect this is an issue of first impression.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017

SCOTUS has no (direct) role here, although Congress could pass a joint resolution to terminate the national emergency. And perhaps someone with easier standing (say, someone whose land was taken via eminent domain) could lodge a case before the courts to determine whether the statutes were properly followed.

The point you raise about this kind of construction being specifically denied does indeed impact things here: as I suspect you understand, the President's Executive power is as its lowest ebb when it's contrary to what Congress has said.

You're correct about the maximum of $50M if the authority we're discussing is 10 U.S.C. § 2803:

But the tweet talks about reprogramming USACE funds. That sounds more like 33 U.S.C. § 2293 (https://www.lawfareblog.com/everyone-calm-down-about-declaration-national-emergency):

If you don't believe for a second that any national emergency he declares will be immediately fought in court, then I've got nothing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Trump fans would respond with defenses?

Even weak attempts to change the subject?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
WTF!

Does the Army Corps of Engineer's also pull off of FEMA funding? That's where this money would come from, right?
Legit fucking evil if so. This will hurt a lot of people this year...

I don't know what you mean by "pull off FEMA funding." DoD activities (USACE) and DHS activities (FEMA) are funded via separate appropriations.

Usually it's FEMA that sends money to DoD activities to reimburse them for disaster relief support, such as -- and this is just one example -- Civil Air Patrol assets providing aerial imagery and situational awareness both before and after disasters hit.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
If you don't believe for a second that any national emergency he declares will be immediately fought in court, then I've got nothing.
Of course I think it'll be fought in court. I've never said otherwise.

If I'm not clear in my posts, please let me know. I'll try to explain better.

What I meant was that the question of proving standing to maintain a lawsuit (that would survive dismissal on those grounds) would be difficult. That's it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Is the USACE budget even enough to fund the wall?