• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard NYC was a hotspot because hipsters from Brooklyn refused to participate in "SoCal Distancing "

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I did not think they would make The Division 2 game a reality. I have a feeling New York going to here Trump a new hole once he gets out of the president position. The AG start slapping State charges on him.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
This city needs 95 degree heat and fucking rain non stop to keep the fools inside.

Some dick was walking a foot away from my yesterday, decides to breakout his AirPods, and blow into the case repeatedly. I was rocking a mask, just walking to the super market, I can't avoid stupid people, lots of fools who don't fucking consider their actions. I'd have locked this city up tight as fuck on March 1st, both Cuomo and De Blasio fucked up.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The jackass will probably take credit for it, because it's his building.

"A beautiful hospital was made in my building. The best. Because my building is perfect and safe. The safest."
No fire prevention systems in his tower in NY, though. I doubt it would ever be converted. Would be hilarious though

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Cuomo has been better than Trump, but let's not crown Cuomo. He waited way too long to issue a shelter in place order.

The real MVP in this has been the California governor. They had a full state SIP order six days before New York. NYC's order should've been even earlier since it's the biggest city and it is denser and has a larger population.
I get your point and i agree, but we are living in times where basic decency and competency are rare as hen's teeth. So giving a little credit where credit is due isn't a bad thing

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Cuomo has been better than Trump, but let's not crown Cuomo. He waited way too long to issue a shelter in place order.

The real MVP in this has been the California governor. They had a full state SIP order six days before New York. NYC's order should've been even earlier since it's the biggest city and it is denser and has a larger population.
A shelter in place that barely anyone was actually was following because it's sunny California and everyone is out jogging and running around anyway.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Like Cuomo said, when you do shit like this all people do is flee to the less stringent state. The family/friend corridor of the north east is vast since all the states are relatively small, you would have to realistically quarantine multiple states and then in a panic people would still flee to farther states.

That said, great Promo for HBO's 'DMZ's adaptation, lol. Gonna have armed guards around Manhattan when it drops

news.avclub.com

Ava DuVernay's DMZ pilot for HBO Max actually finished filming

The project stars Rosario Dawson, who had a lot of nice things to say on Twitter.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Like Cuomo said, when you do shit like this all people do is flee to the less stringent state. The family/friend corridor of the north east is vast since all the states are relatively small, you would have to realistically quarantine multiple states and then in a panic people would still flee to farther states.

That said, great Promo for HBO's 'DMZ's adaptation, lol. Gonna have armed guards around Manhattan when it drops

news.avclub.com

Ava DuVernay's DMZ pilot for HBO Max actually finished filming

The project stars Rosario Dawson, who had a lot of nice things to say on Twitter.
This is what a lot of people don't get. If you want to totally shut down NYC you also have to totally shut down Connecticut and New Jersey, at a minimum. Realistically, you also need to shut down Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, and maybe Massachusetts.

Dec 31, 2017
I don't really understand what this means. NYC is already under an effective lockdown. Preventing travel for essential workers in and out of NYC is impossible; many people commute to work at hospitals from NJ and CT.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
People in New York are being fucking stupid about this.

gothamist.com

Photos Show NYC Parks Still Bustling During The Global Pandemic

On Friday, Mayor de Blasio said he would consider fines for people congregating in parks.
In the long list of bizarre human behaviors this is one of the stupidest to me. Why in times of disaster there are lots of assholes who assume this defiant attitude? You see them during tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. What are they trying to convey? That they are tough, or cool or what?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is what a lot of people don't get. If you want to totally shut down NYC you also have to totally shut down Connecticut and New Jersey, at a minimum. Realistically, you also need to shut down Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, and maybe Massachusetts.

Yup. We are talking a shitload of states a couple of hours with a scenic drive away from each other. You can add Delaware, Rhode Island, and Maryland to the mix all 3 hours away with NYC and close sister cities tied together where many commute in some capacity weekly, and some DAILY to the NYC area.

Ten state minimum shutdown! LOL.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
This dude can't pass on soon enough. He is the worst person in a position to do something. Every day is how can I fuck over those that don't praise me. Sit down clown

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tri-state is all but shutdown already.

Dude is only wasting time and costing lives not doing a nationwide quarantine. It's inevitable, but he's weeks late on every move.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
We need that vaccine asap hopefully there's progress soon
there is progress happening, however I would not put your bets on a vaccine. The reality is even with how fast work on the vaccine is being done you are still waiting a year minimum. Fauci has said as much himself.

Well yeah but i just wasn't sure if i missed something on Friday to support your theory
oh, sorry for not figuring out that was what you were confused about. Frankly I don't know either, but I feel the writing has been on the wall with Fauci since Monday. I've stopped watching Trump's briefings because they've been giving me panic attacks.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
If there was a vaccine trump would hoard it for red states and don't act like that is too crazy or out there. It's true

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Dude doesn't have the discipline to do it correctly, and the exemption list will be large enough to drive trucks through, literally.

A significant amount of New Yorkers live in the Poconos, Easton, and Allentown, so you might as well quarantine Pennsylvania while you are at it, but that breaks the narrative because PA is a swing state.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. We are talking a shitload of states a couple of hours with a scenic drive away from each other. You can add Delaware, Rhode Island, and Maryland to the mix all 3 hours away with NYC and close sister cities tied together where many commute in some capacity weekly, and some DAILY to the NYC area.

Ten state minimum shutdown! LOL.
Seriously, everything north of Virginia on the Eastern Seaboard would need to be shut down.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
99% chance that he's doing this for the wrong reasons. But lockdowns in general aren't a bad idea, here in Finland the govt just ordered the lockdown of the region around the capital for a few weeks. It's only to cut down on "frivolous" travel, so people can cross the checkpoints if they have a sufficient reason.

Jan 10, 2018
Well yeah but i just wasn't sure if i missed something on Friday to support your theory

Fauci said into the cameras how he could not imagine that someone with a moral conscience would compare the pandemic to car crashes.

3 days later Trump compared the pandemic with car crashes, said he won't listen to experts and Fauci was nowhere to be seen.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So ok let's say he does it. What happens when a bunch of red states start to get out hand too?

The only reason we are seeing large numbers is because of testing. Other states are not doing enough testing. Once they do, things will not look that different than NY.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Whatever keeps it from coming to Southern Ontario because right now NY has never felt closer,

Tho believe me I'm aware of T.O and Ottawa. I'm smack dab in the middle of these big hotspots, and I'm nervous. I cat imagine actually living in it.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
gothamist.com

Coronavirus Updates: Cuomo Says Quarantine On NY, NJ Would Be "A Federal Declaration Of War"

The governor pushed back against the possibility of a quarantine on New York State.

When asked about Trump's remarks, Cuomo was disdainful and dismissive, telling reporters, "I didn't speak to him about any quarantine... I haven't had those conversations. I don't even know what that means."

Another reporter asked if a "tri-state quarantine" was "a sound policy from your perspective or would you advise against it," Cuomo repeated, "I don't even know what that means."

"I don't know how that could be legally enforceable and, from a medical point of view, I don't know what you would be accomplishing, but I can tell you I don't even like the sound of it," he said. "Not even understanding what it is, I don't like the sound of it."

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
So ok let's say he does it. What happens when a bunch of red states start to get out hand too?

The only reason we are seeing large numbers is because of testing. Other states are not doing enough testing. Once they do, things will not look that different than NY.
There are hospitals in NY resembling the worst hospitals in Italy and Wuhan with makeshift morgues and completely overloaded condictions right now (read up on Elmhurst Hospital)... it's a real problem and it is a NYC specific problem as well, at least so far.

Those areas are also in poorer parts of the city where there are a ton of people working in blue collar "essential" jobs so it's not like they can just flee elsewhere.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
A quarantine like this would basically be throwing up your hands and saying 'I don't care what happens to these places'.

So yeah, Trump will probably do it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fauci said into the cameras how he could not imagine that someone with a moral conscience would compare the pandemic to car crashes.

3 days later Trump compared the pandemic with car crashes, said he won't listen to experts and Fauci was nowhere to be seen.
there is progress happening, however I would not put your bets on a vaccine. The reality is even with how fast work on the vaccine is being done you are still waiting a year minimum. Fauci has said as much himself.

oh, sorry for not figuring out that was what you were confused about. Frankly I don't know either, but I feel the writing has been on the wall with Fauci since Monday. I've stopped watching Trump's briefings because they've been giving me panic attacks.

i have certainly been expecting Fauci to be fired and i think Trump definitely wants to fire him but someone(s) are telling him not to.

Now with people like Limbaugh saying shit like this:

I think it's coming

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

he missed a day of press conference with no explanation right after an interview where he'd directly contradicted the president. I thought it was last Friday. May have been a different day.

one thing I've noticed about the majority of the us coverage is how sterile and pg-rated it is - how much they're avoiding showing people dying or morgues. I realize it sounds grim but if I get it — I volunteer to go on camera and hopefully scare the shit out of people slow to accept this reality.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Expect Trump to do this literally in every state just before the curve is peaking. He is doing this to get credit. The narrative is going to be "New York was out of control until I stepped in. Right after that things were under control and improving." The entire narrative of his re-election campaign will be that no state flattened the curve until the federal government stepped in. He will be repeating something to the effect of "I really didn't want to step in. I thought the governors could handle it. They couldn't so I came in and fixed it.'

I don't expect this to happen in any state, not even NY. Dumbass Donald says a lot of things, the majority of which are lies.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
A quarantine like this would basically be throwing up your hands and saying 'I don't care what happens to these places'.

So yeah, Trump will probably do it.
It would have no practical effect. It would just allow Trump to offload blame to the states for the virus outbreak, and then take credit if the curve eventually flattens like its supposed to in a couple weeks.

Remember, Trump has taken zero action so far that isn't directly tied to his approval rating.