• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
www.cnn.com

Trump off the air in Ohio and Iowa as polls show tight races in both states | CNN Politics

President Donald Trump's campaign canceled its planned television advertising in Iowa and Ohio this week, focusing its spending on states where Trump is behind even as polls show he is neck-and-neck with Democratic challenger Joe Biden in the two Midwestern states.

(CNN)President Donald Trump's campaign canceled its planned television advertising in Iowa and Ohio this week, focusing its spending on states where Trump is behind even as polls show he is neck-and-neck with Democratic challenger Joe Biden in the two Midwestern states.

Trump's campaign canceled its ad reservations of $2.5 million in Ohio and $820,000 in Iowa this week, according to ad-tracking firm CMAG. It'll be his third consecutive week without television ads in Iowa and Ohio.
The moves come even as public polls suggest Trump needs to shore up support in the two states that he won by about 9 percentage points each in 2016. A CBS/YouGov poll out Sunday showed Biden and Trump tied at 47% each in Ohio, while a New York Times/Siena College poll in late September showed Biden with a 45% to 42% lead Iowa.

He broke, broke, broke phi broke
He ain't got it
Broke, broke, broke phi broke
He ain't got it

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this old news? I thought he cancelled in Ohio weeks ago.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's already lost and he knows it. There's no point. Expect a sad trombone to come out of the WH over the next month.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
I can't imagine what such a state looks or feels like where every second person votes for that guy....

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
So this confirms they're going to appoint electors to take those states no matter how the votes turn out.

They're going to do this in every state with a republican legislature. They're going to fucking steal it.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Electors won't even matter if he gets beaten badly. Democrats would have the same capacity to do so as well.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Isn't this old news? I thought he cancelled in Ohio weeks ago.
Advertisers usually buy up time in week increments, up to like an entire quarter at a time. What happened a couple weeks ago is they cancelled Ohio and Iowa for the next two weeks (likely wo 9/21 and wo 9/28, depending on week-start date.). Now this story is reporting that he's cancelling another week for ohio and iowa.

At least, that's what I gather.

I believe this is all candidate advertising, though, and does not take into account Issue advertising which is a whole other ballgame and could still be alive and well.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Just fyi if every state with a republican legislature directly appoints electors for Trump and ignores the popular vote, he has over 300 EVs. I'm assuming dem governors won't be able to do anything to stop it because we live in hell.

www.270towin.com

270toWin - 2024 Presidential Election Interactive Map

Create your own forecast for the 2024 presidential election

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
So this confirms they're going to appoint electors to take those states no matter how the votes turn out.

They're going to do this in every state with a republican legislature. They're going to fucking steal it.
As someone who doesn't quite get this idea, is this likely? Is it possible?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would him getting beaten badly stop electors from still fucking shit up? If the votes take longer than a day after election day, they'll put the plan into action.

It's a losing game to continue to escalate like that. Both sides can participate and if you have a landslide across many states you have less chance at corruptibility. It's an ultimate gaslight approach which turns to Civil War and completely destroys the country. If their end game is power, a Civil War is not the best gambit. There's too much money to lose and that scares Republicans.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Why advertise when your plan is to steal the election through the courts? He has no chance to win legitimately.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people would say it's not likely, and that it would cause an unprecedented crisis and tear the country apart, but it's entirely possible and the Trump campaign is discussing it as a strategy to win.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-campaign-discussing-plans-appoint-090001571.html
They're discussing it and if the election comes down to a single state, like Florida, they'll probably seriously consider it.

Fortunately, Biden is likely headed for a landslide EC victory and this strategy becomes harder to pull off the more states Biden wins.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Trump might be broke/funneling the money for himself but the GOP is going to do some truly nefarious shit:

news.yahoo.com

Trump campaign discussing plans to appoint its own state electors, no matter the results: report

A real nightmare scenario: The eight closest battleground states might send competing sets of electors to Congress
That article mentions that if Dems win the Senate then it wouldn't matter what the GOP tries, Biden would win. So we'd better get a Senate majority...

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just fyi if every state with a republican legislature directly appoints electors for Trump and ignores the popular vote, he has over 300 EVs. I'm assuming dem governors won't be able to do anything to stop it because we live in hell.

www.270towin.com

29 states (including many of the Republican governed ones) have laws binding the electors to the popular vote. I think this bullshit works in a few specific battleground states, but not that many.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Four years ago we all thought it was a done deal at this point. We're still a month away, anything can happen. Biden could get infected, more October surprises could come up, things aren't decided yet.

Don't get cocky.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
As someone who doesn't quite get this idea, is this likely? Is it possible?

It's theoretically possible (though unlikely), and as far as I'm concerned, doing that is effectively an act of civil war.

Their plan would be:
- Select pro-Trump electors, overriding the popular vote
- Install their new Supreme Court justice, who will vote in support of Trump's electors in the inevitable lawsuit
- Republican dictatorship

so1337

Oct 28, 2017

www.270towin.com

If this is the kind of banana republic bullcrap they are going to pull, why have an election at all? Just declare Trump godking for life and be done with it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the kind of banana republic bullcrap they are going to pull, why have an election at all? Just declare Trump godking for life and be done with it.
For the record, we were all hoping for faithless electors in late 2016. Institutionally it's still bullshit and should have never even been a thing.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty crazy. These are absolutely crucial states for him to be advertising in, especially since he can't campaign in person for the foreseeable future. It sounds like they've made an internal decision to pretend they're going to win those states as part of a strategy to get to 270.

It will be interesting to watch those states for the next couple weeks to see if Biden can pull ahead to comfortable margins.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Electors being able to do whatever the fuck they want. Though, I suppose the NaNoVoInterCo (plan to legally subvert the electoral college) relies on it, so.
I see. I'm not American so I'm not intimately familiar with the electoral college process but reading things like "pro-trump electors" makes my hair stand on end. Seems like a lot of this headache could be avoided if the states simply picked the winner of the popular vote.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Trump campaign's spending on ads in these two states end two weeks ago? I swear I heard about this around that time.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the thinking is more that the money needs to go elsewhere. If they need to be shoring up Ohio/Iowa, it means Trump has already lost. It's better to use the money in Penn/Florida and just hope they have done enough in Ohio/Iowa. This of course assumes that funds are actually low and not simply being grifted. It's likely both.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
There has never been an election flipped by faithless electors FYI.
There were several defectors for Trump in the 2016 election in spite of his victory. I think it's certainly possible there could be more this time, but it won't be enough to put a dent in the coming landslide.

On the bright side, it will serve as a fantastic impetus to abolish the electoral college, as part of the John Lewis Voting Rights Act of 2020 (which will, in turn, also serve as a fantastic impetus to get rid of the filibuster).