• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
"I'll release my taxes as soon as they're done being audited..."

"We can have an election as soon as it's safe for everyone to vote in person..."

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I'm way more terrified (way, *way* more terrified) of his USPS fuckery. Things are badly backlogged *now*, how are things going to look when there're three months more of mail ahead of millions of ballots?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
What if instead of delaying it, we just extend the voting period from a week before to November 3rd instead of just a single day. That way if people want to vote in-person they can get a ballot and submit it any time during that period (to avoid large crowds) and other people can just mail it in if they want.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Doesn't matter whether he "accepts" it or not.

I'm not surprised he's tossing this "suggestion" out but he has no power to implement it. At worst, the red states will cancel their elections, and the blue states won't, which means the GOP will essentially forfeit this year's elections unless they happen to curry enough good will among voters that they literally inspire a coup. Not happening.

He's being sarcastic

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
All that talk here about him not being able to do it? Yeah... he's gonna try.
Who thinks he wasn't going to try? We already saw him building up this narrative since midterms and trying to do things like cutting funding to the USPS.

I believe people saying he's "not able to do it" is referring to how states still run the elections, not the federal government. There are more elections than just the Presidential race, so I personally have doubts this approach is able to pick up much steam.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
You'll never remove orange Hitler from his Führerbunker. He's staying.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
They claim absentee voting is good because you would normally vote in person but can't be there so it's okay. Whereas, mail in voting is bad because people don't have a "legitimate" reason.

I mean, he can't. States can still hold elections without him. Election Day is also built into the Constitution. It won't be delayed.

However, he can send his cronies to scare people at the polls. Which is just as scary.

so what does that say about the states that are extremely pro-Trump?

the problem is that he's not only going to try, but a non-insignificant amount of governments are perfectly happy to sit at the sidelines being like "hey let's see where this goes" because we would be in uncharted territory at that point

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
From May:

I never even thought of changing the date of the election," Trump said. "Why would I do that? November 3. It's a good number. I look forward to that election."

"That was just made up propaganda," Trump continued. "Not by [Biden], but by some of the people that are working, writing little statements I see all the time. 'Statement made,' you see, 'statement made per Joe Biden.' Sleepy Joe. He didn't make those statements, but somebody did. But they said he made it. No, let him know I'm not thinking about it at all, not at all."

www.newsweek.com

Trump Says He Won't Delay Election Day, Calls Suggestion 'Propaganda'

"I never even thought of changing the date of the election," Trump said. "Why would I do that?"

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
He thinks the economy will be great and there will be a vaccine if we wait and it will save his chances.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I know where you're coming from, but:

Fuck that shit. This is the kind of shit you can't slump your shoulders and back down from. This is the kind of shit people need to rise up against, not sink into defeat.

At this point it may well be easier to tear down and rebuild than to continually try for incremental change in a system that allowed Trump to take office in the first place.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Welp, lets see how much our rules(Read: very loose gentlemen agreements with no enforcement, and only loopholes to prevent tyranny), that hes managed to break his entire presidency, are going to hold up to this. Now that hes actively saying he wants to delay the election.

We're going to find out if those youtubers were right about how impossible it would be.

"IT COULD NEVER HAPPEN HERE"

Exactly.

May 28, 2020
I mean who didn't see this coming? And I wonder what he'll get the Senate to do to make this all fall through. I'm sure they'll relax all Covid restrictions to help it spread even further to justify their cause. I'm sick to my stomach right now

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
And so he wades in the waters of the rubicon

If he convinces the GOP to go with this - legal or no - don't expect him to vacate in January either. They'll waffle on about unusual circumstances as an excuse

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if instead of delaying it, we just extend the voting period from a week before to November 3rd instead of just a single day. That way if people want to vote in-person they can get a ballot and submit it any time during that period (to avoid large crowds) and other people can just mail it in if they want.
If we were actually interested in representative elections, we'd have at least one federal election holiday, we'd increase the voting period from one day to, say, five, and we'd implement universal, no-excuse vote-by-mail. This should have happened decades ago.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So hold on Mr. President. You want the economy to re-open like yesterday and everyone go back to work, schools to open, but it is too dangerous to vote in person?

Something isn't adding up. Please explain.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
When will journalists learn to print out the tweet and bring it with them to question Senators
Back when Donald tweeted about the batshit conspiracy theory about a 75 year old man being antifa after he was assaulted by police:

Burgess Everett @burgessev

Sen. Gardner has not seen the tweet and didn't want to look at it. Says he's focused on his outdoors bill on the Senate floor and was in a rush to get up there

10:56 AM - Jun 9, 2020

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman

Burgess has made it easy. He has the tweet printed for all senators to see. https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1270369243234738177 …

11:01 AM - Jun 9, 2020

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He always does that, he puts question marks at the end, so he's "just asking questions" but everyone knows he means it.

Trump supporters are arse holes??

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
so what does that say about the states that are extremely pro-Trump?

the problem is that he's not only going to try, but a non-insignificant amount of governments are perfectly happy to sit at the sidelines being like "hey let's see where this goes" because we would be in uncharted territory at that point

Then the states that are extremely pro-Trump won't hold elections and blue states will which Republicans definitely won't want.

And if they think that cities are burning now...

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to check r/conservative.

There are people there calling it fake news. They were actually down voted though.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
03712db76f2c48e5decf207d740b91cf.jpg

LOLing at the people who think that any kind of precedent or the constitution itself matter to this sack of shit or his sycophants.

Dude's going to do all sorts of shit and he's going to get away with it because the rules don't matter anymore. He's not interested in following them, and nobody's interested in enforcing them.

He's already sending in his thugs to harass cities and ignoring Supreme Court orders. Precedent don't mean shit.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Wait till he says that the ballots for the election are being printed in Russia being brought to the States by plane in the middle of the night.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Obvious weather balloon tweet. He's saying it like a question. They want to see what the public thinks of this.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha. There we go. Where are the "bu bu the constitution" people? I don't think it's gonna happen but the risk increases every passing day

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird, if Trump actually did his job, acted swiftly with Covid, he would probably be in a semi decent place going into the election or could at least argue he did something.

Maybe make it safer with mail voting, more polling stations etc. but I guess he wouldn't hear any of that!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There it fucking is. We knew he was going to try it. Let's see if he actually does anything other than throw a fit on Twitter over it.

COVID's a "hoax" until it involves him possibly getting voted out. The country is going to be safer once that motherfucker is voted out of office.

I mean yes, our institutions held then. Now? Uncharted territory. There's no expectation that things will go as planned anymore.
I'm not 100% sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I'm pretty sure a country at war with itself was pretty uncharted territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.