• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
It's still 2020 so:

The $600 gets vetoed
The $2,000 fails
Republicans win Georgia

Merry Christmas, don't spend your $0 all in one place.

That's why the House shouldn't take it back for amendments. It's already passed both houses, a veto will be 100% on Trump. Could Biden pass it in January if Trump vetoes it and no amendments are made?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
This just means we are probably going to end up getting nothing. Republicans will turn around and what stuff added that Democrats won't agree to and Trump won't sign any bill except one that has the 2000 in it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do Republicans even know what they want with 230? Because if they had any sense they would know that the current setup is exactly what makes their social media misinformation machine so effective. They've set it up as a boogeyman but don't understand what it even is. It's a super weak poison pill

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I don't have receipts for 2022, but Kemp ran as a Trump brown-noser. And Trump lead to turnout the likes of which pubs didn't see. And that turnout was for him specifically, he has a cult. I'm just saying, they're likely to at least make motions to avoid getting shit on by him. I'm also saying, it doesn't matter if they're in a ruby red district if they're worried about being primaried by Trump goons.

All of them will try to what-about sabotage or just not vote on it. It's the expected outcome. People should not be acting like 2k checks are a reasonable possibility with pubs having the Senate.
Of course it's yet to be seen but trump is still the most dominant political force in the Republican party. It's why Brian Kemp is still kissing his ass and going to white house events while trump is retweeting posts about locking him up.

Trump wants Doug Collins to primary Kemp. They had a falling out over Kemp selecting Loeffler as the Senator, Trump wanted Collins, and he blames Kemp for Collins losing in the runoff to Loeffler of the GOP bunch.

Now whether it really plays out that way in 12 months when the GOP Georgia primary is kicking off, who knows. But the challenge definitely exists there and Kemp still has to play both sides of the Republican party here.

Of course even now in this moment there's no political reason to spite the President short of doing something illegal on his behalf.

But I'm speaking to any potential congressperson who should fear his reprisal two years after he leaves office? Trump couldn't even whip his party to cut stimulus checks when his own ass was on the line, I struggle to see how he can be a kingmaker or retaliate politically with even less leverage.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Why are his aides shocked? Haven't they tried to keep him from commenting as they were hammering a deal because from the very beginning, Trump wanted $2,000 as the baseline?

He was kept away so he couldn't torpedo the actual peanuts in the bill, so of course he attempts to torpedo it the second he's in front of a camera when talking about it. How the fuck are they ""shocked?""

When Trump is arguing the correct amount, an amount only a few have directly advocated for, something's fucked up. Ed Markey has been the only voice who has stayed hammering $2,000 and going further, suggesting recurring and retroactive payments.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
And just like that, Trump has another shiny object dangled in front of him that will sink this entire idea...

This will be the reason the bill gets sunk. Republicans will try to stuff this through the process and the Democrats will strike it down. Then we go back to Republicans blaming Democrats for obstructing the bill.

It's very predictable and tiresome.

It would be nice if they could just push out the COVID assistance separate to all of this other stuff.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Republicans will become the party of working class populism (even PoC, as we saw already with PoC men this year) if Democrats don't do anything about it. Tulsi in 2024 is going to be a disaster for Kamala.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Haven't Democrats been pushing for $1200+ this whole time?
Yes. Democrats have proposed a range of solutions from $1200 one time payments and $600/w to $2400 monthly payments for everyone. Republicans have been comfy with saying $0 for everyone.

Republicans will become the party of working class populism (even PoC, as we saw already with PoC men this year) if Democrats don't do anything about it. Tulsi in 2024 is going to be a disaster for Kamala.
Holy leap of illogical faith Batman.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not much Dems can do if despite them calling for wide relief almost nonstop, voters choose to ignore them to vote for people who don't want relief.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yup meanwhile all their zealots will be sued into oblivion and Probally get parler taken down immediately. Lol
And after there is civil unrest as pretty much all social media is removed and the internet as we know it ceases to exist, Republicans will somehow blame Democrats and much of the country will believe it. "Why didn't Democrats warn us what would happen?!"

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017

Please.

A lot of what I've been hearing since this $600 shit got brought up is how much Republican Mitch Mcconnell sucks ass. Even from people who don't follow politics very closely... Free money talks.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And after there is civil unrest as pretty much all social media is removed and the internet as we know it ceases to exist, Republicans will somehow blame Democrats and much of the country will believe it. "Why didn't Democrats warn us what would happen?!"
These asshole cannnot ever be in a position to govern anymore. This shit is so bad
Please.

A lot of what I've been hearing since this $600 shit got brought up is how much Republican Mitch Mcconnell sucks ass. Even from people who don't follow politics very closely... Free money talks.
Dems need to just lean more into identity politics with their actual sound policy and they will be just fine. We got a record 81 million people out voting.
Def need to work on their messaging.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think Democrats so far are giving the right response to this shit. They're saying, "Okay, yeah. Let's do it," in order to either call a bluff or force a showdown between Trump and McConnell.

No matter what, this is reflecting poorly on the two Republican incumbents in Georgia, who were already campaigning on the success of the bill.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So Trump is voicing what Dems have been pushing for months, but now it's his "idea".

He's such an asshole

Unfortunately that's the power of the presidency, in how our government is portrayed to the public. Similar to how every one says Trump cut them their first stimulus check, when in actuality it was Congress. It simply is what it is.

I don't mind too much as long as real good is done for constituents.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sad thing is, they know the people of America better than Democrats ever have.
It's their identity politics Dems have been just spouting policy above peoples heads who clearly don't even know how the govt works. They just want to feel like the govt it gonna help put them ahead and THAT is why repubs are even remotely relevant. It's insane just how shit the avg American is but man Dems pretty much have to lean into the identity politics even more then have the policy to back it up which is what repubs don't have for anyone but the rich.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

The fact that you think Tulsi has a constituency indicates you're wildly misinformed about politics

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think Democrats so far are giving the right response to this shit. They're saying, "Okay, yeah. Let's do it," in order to either call a bluff or force a showdown between Trump and McConnell.

No matter what, this is reflecting poorly on the two Republican incumbents in Georgia, who were already campaigning on the success of the bill.
Yeah this is a disaster for republicans lol. Now that number is out there and they don't do it. Dems have a winning issue in GA.
Nobody should be rooting for this shit, it is a poison pill for Democrats for a good reason I think.
I'm def not rooting for it. It's stupid but the damage is probally worse for repubs.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, AOC's (and Pelosi!) responses are the correct ones. Get caught trying to give people $2000 and make Mitch the bad guy (because we all know this has less than like a 5% of passing).

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The reason Trump gained popularity among the working class was because he took the Republican position for years of Dog Whistle Racism, and evolved it into blatent, "even the dumbest person in the back row gets it" racism. I think it's going to be harder and harder to replicate this in the future, as you can't just run back the same idea, you need to continue to evolve it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Even the most ardent GOP zombie would have trouble accepting the DEMS are the ones stopping free money to the 'poor and lazy'. So I am confused at how they get left holding the $2k bag if it doesn't pass as many claim.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are at the bargaining stage ladies and gents.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The reason Trump gained popularity among the working class was because he took the Republican position for years of Dog Whistle Racism, and evolved it into blatent, "even the dumbest person in the back row gets it" racism. I think it's going to be harder and harder to replicate this in the future, as you can't just run back the same idea, you need to continue to evolve it.
Yep. Racism like that only works once and racism itself has evolved over the decades to survive need new boogie men and women to keep the crap going

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck this cunt. He had all the time in the world to make a difference and NOW he works up the nerve? He can eat shit along with senate republicans.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
So we probably won't get anything? Everything is always a fucking game and days feel like weeks with how this shit show has gone these last four years but especially this last year

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't Democrats been pushing for $1200+ this whole time?

Only because that's what they figured they could actually get away with pushing. There has been plenty of democrats in support for $2000 payments they just don't pursue it because they know the GOP wouldn't even entertain the idea.