• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I mean honestly that's an insanely late confirmation. So yeah.

It doesn't surprise me that the confirmation was so late, considering how slow the incubation period is for the virus, and how the symptoms were unknown and confused with other illnesses, and many cases of asymptomatic people. Seems like it could be a difficult thing to confirm early on.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus fuck this bloated psycho can be plz just diet?
The good die young. Evil fuckers stick around forever like dirt.

You know what's easy to say Mr Trump? "I fucked up".
They guy literally can't admit he spelled fucking "coverage" wrong so his press secretary had to go out there and act like it was some special secret meaning behind covfefe and we are all idiots for not getting it.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't surprise me that the confirmation was so late, considering how slow the incubation period is for the virus, and how the symptoms were unknown and confused with other illnesses, and many cases of asymptomatic people. Seems like it could be a difficult thing to confirm early on.

Yeah... ok...

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean he can say what he wants but Michigan bought most of our tests from the WHO when Trump started to fuck around by deciding to only help states with enough morons to suck his dick at all times. (Michigan only has enough morons to suck his dick like most of the time.)

So unless he's got a secret plan to supply Michigan with tests, then American dollars are going to the WHO, regardless of what that fat orange fuck dribbles into a microphone. If he hates it he can tell it to the tenth amendment

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad at least some journalist has reached the boiling over point and yelled out at him to tell him he did say that shit

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If you've been paying attention to right wing groups like the old place, the "WHO is basically in Chinas pocket" angle has been brewing for a while now.

This isn't wrong either. WHO officials have outright ignored Taiwan and continue to treat it like a part of China, parroting the CCP stance.

While Trump is probably using this to deflect his own failures, Trump's criticisms aren't entirely wrong either. WHO have been slow to declare it a pandemic. It should've been in Jan/Feb, not March.

Is it a right decision to defund the WHO and let China fund them outright? Not sure though. The whole UN stinks of corruption and money hatting.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA is beating any and all record related to the virus, but the man can't stop his act, one that will cause tons of useless deaths on top of what he already caused. History will certainly prove him wrong, but one has to hope enough Americans realize before his story gets another couple years of runtime.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Republicans has been trying to defund the WHO for years, and it has nothing to do with this virus or China. They just hate the UN and they always look for excuses to cut funding to it. I suspect a bunch of them got to his ear.
It will be terrible if they succeed, the US is the largest funder of the WHO by far and this will cripple it. That would immensely hurt our ability to fight such pandemics on a global scale and especially hurt poorer countries, who have to rely on the WHO way more than rich ones.

It's crazy to me that there seem to be people here who are rooting for this outcome.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
They're "China-centric" because the US stopped funding them under shitboy. They're missing $100million that they would have had under a US administration that wasn't gutter scum.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't wrong either. WHO officials have outright ignored Taiwan and continue to treat it like a part of China, parroting the CCP stance.

While Trump is probably using this to deflect his own failures, Trump's criticisms aren't entirely wrong either. WHO have been slow to declare it a pandemic. It should've been in Jan/Feb, not March.

Is it a right decision to defund the WHO and let China fund them outright? Not sure though. The whole UN stinks of corruption and money hatting.

No, because the WHO saves lives. The WHO having to navigate geopolitics in order to address global health crises sure sucks, but they're a trusted source and do great work.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Please vote this idiot out in November, he is threatening the safety of the entire planet....please

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's projecting again. This is nakedly transparent to anyone who isn't a member of his cult.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
If you're the WHO, why would you risk getting involved in this political shitshow? It's really not your place to.

It's like backing Biden over Trump. Sure... it's likely the right thing to do, but why the fuck would you get involved? I really struggle to understand why people are so quick to go after them on this. If ignoring Taiwan lets them save more lives, then this is the RIGHT play, and I say this as no fan of China's disgusting political ruling class and horrific human rights record.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
WHO needs to answer why they said there was no issues for months & if the CCP's pressure had anything to do with that. I wouldn't defund them though.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He is fucking wrong, and America picking a fight with the WHO about Taiwan in the middle of this pandemic is remarkably stupid and will only lead to undermining the WHO which will get people killed.
The WHO are a bunch of doctors and epidemiologists, they are not going to fix issue of Taiwan status in the UN in a middle of the pandemic.
And it's not like the head of the WHO controls membership, this is done by the member states of the world health assembly. This is a UN issue, a terribly messy one that has been going on for like 70 years now, and demanding the WHO solve it now or else is unrealistic, and the worst people in American politics are pushing this point and are doing this in bad faith.

It's not like the WHO don't have officials in Taiwan, it's not like health officials in Taiwan can't share information with doctors in other countries, including China, it's not like Taiwan is in need of help from the WHO that they can't get (they are handling this pandemic probably better than any country in the world). The WHO report the numbers from Taiwan as part of China. It's stupid, but it's done for the same reason that they praised Trump's leadership in fighting the virus - because the WHO always try its best to avoid political fights.
You're gonna defund them over that?

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate him. I hate him. I hate him so much.

aMcNlqC.gif

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Destroy the evidence, rewrite the story, and commit new crimes to cover up the last ones. Fuck Trump.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
as a person of chinese descent i'm looking forward to facing and witnessing even more sinophobia that i already have. very cool

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

WHO in january

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

On the same day -
www.telegraph.co.uk

WHO refuses to rule out human-to-human spread in China's mystery coronavirus outbreak

The mystery respiratory virus that has hit a city in central China could spark a wider outbreak, with the potential for “limited” transmission between humans, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.

Human to human transmission was confirmed less than a week after that, and there is no reason to believe anyone knew that for sure but decided to cover it up for political reasons.
Not everything is a conspiracy theory, not everything is political, it's a new virus, we knew very little about it and how it behave in early January, and it's not like you can conduct experiments on humans to check this out.
There is still a lot of don't know about it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, oh well, Biden/Random Centrist Democrat is basically the same as Trump, right? Riiiight??

Goddamn, if ya'll don't manage to get rid of this fucking buffoon by the end of the year...

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
On the same day -
www.telegraph.co.uk

WHO refuses to rule out human-to-human spread in China's mystery coronavirus outbreak

The mystery respiratory virus that has hit a city in central China could spark a wider outbreak, with the potential for “limited” transmission between humans, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.

Human to human transmission was confirmed less than a week after that, and there is no reason to believe anyone knew that for sure but decided to cover it up for political reasons.
Not everything is a conspiracy theory, not everything is political, it's a new virus, we knew very little about it and how it behave in early January, and it's not like you can conduct experiments on humans to check this out.
There is still a lot of don't know about it.

Thank you for this.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He can do or say whatever, I don't think he'll ever be able to detach himself from calling this a hoax

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

They never concluded or said it was the DEFINITIVE CONCLUSSION, they were just doing their job in reporting what was coming from chinese scientist, the only info they had available at the time.... And a lot of people in this thread are pushing the narrative that they are just CCP puppets, fucking disgraceful.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

That's a failure of the larger geopolitical framework, not on the WHO specifically. The fact that Taiwan is not recognized as a sovereign country in its own right is a disgrace, but it's one that is a political reality for most of the world and most international institutions. As much as it would be nice to have matters of medicine free of politics, that's just not how public health works.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
There is no doubt that countries who took the warnings seriously early enough did not suffer nearly as much as countries that didn't. Singapore and Taiwan (not even in WHO) did and they are doing quite well right now relatively speaking. South Korea recovered extremely fast too once they took it seriously and acted aggressively. The majority of the blame for US lies mostly on its incompetent federal government.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a failure of the larger geopolitical framework, not on the WHO specifically. The fact that Taiwan is not recognized as a sovereign country in its own right is a disgrace, but it's one that is a political reality for most of the world and most international institutions. As much as it would be nice to have matters of medicine free of politics, that's just not how public health works.
Exactly.
The US doesn't even have an embassy in Taiwan, like most of the world we do this "non diplomatic representation" song and dance.
This is not how we address Taiwan's status in the UN and the world, this will only lead to America defunding the WHO, which something republicans have been trying to do for a while now, and it will be horrible for the world if they succeed.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It be a much smaller issue for the rest of the world, even if the rest of the world bungled it.

There is no difference between smaller issue and larger issue for the rest of the world besides a difference of timelines shifted by a few weeks later.

Unless China completely contained the virus to their borders, there was no timeline in which this virus doesn't turn into a pandemic. It's a fucking beast of a virus.

The West had plenty of time to nip this in the bud, they underestimated this virus.

Last edited:

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
But if he knew it was gonna be a pandemic before it was called one, why didn't he act first?

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
No, because the WHO saves lives. The WHO having to navigate geopolitics in order to address global health crises sure sucks, but they're a trusted source and do great work.

More lives could've been saved if they had been more objective about the state that China was in back in January, and not heaping praises about how they had done well. Also, WHO were criticizing countries for banning incoming flights from China, and said it was not necessary (this was also China's stance).

If you're the WHO, why would you risk getting involved in this political shitshow? It's really not your place to.

It's like backing Biden over Trump. Sure... it's likely the right thing to do, but why the fuck would you get involved? I really struggle to understand why people are so quick to go after them on this. If ignoring Taiwan lets them save more lives, then this is the RIGHT play, and I say this as no fan of China's disgusting political ruling class and horrific human rights record.

Ignoring Taiwan may cost more lives though?

You know what happens when the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION doesn't get enough funding during a pandemic right?

UN agencies don't receive enough funding anyway. They basically run off no wage interns and grovel up to whoever will give them money for this or that project. The reason why the WHO are acting in the interest of China is because of funding. Don't bite the hand that feeds you so to speak. What good is funding a Chinese mouthpiece with your money? If anything fund MORE so they will don't have to grovel to anybody and can be more objective (but that is unrealistic of course).

He is fucking wrong, and America picking a fight with the WHO about Taiwan in the middle of this pandemic is remarkably stupid and will only lead to undermining the WHO which will get people killed.
The WHO are a bunch of doctors and epidemiologists, they are not going to fix issue of Taiwan status in the UN in a middle of the pandemic.
And it's not like the head of the WHO controls membership, this is done by the member states of the world health assembly. This is a UN issue, a terribly messy one that has been going on for like 70 years now, and demanding the WHO solve it now or else is unrealistic, and the worst people in American politics are pushing this point and are doing this in bad faith.

It's not like the WHO don't have officials in Taiwan, it's not like health officials in Taiwan can't share information with doctors in other countries, including China, it's not like Taiwan is in need of help from the WHO that they can't get (they are handling this pandemic probably better than any country in the world). The WHO report the numbers from Taiwan as part of China. It's stupid, but it's done for the same reason that they praised Trump's leadership in fighting the virus - because the WHO always try its best to avoid political fights.
You're gonna defund them over that?

Most of the actual research/work is done by member states which is then collated and shared via the WHO (think of them as a channel or platform for medicine worldwide). The majority of work is not done by WHO. The WHO helps coordinates between countries, but to be honest there's hardly any of that right now. Maybe defunding is a bad move, but the criticism is right. Their "avoidance" of politic fights IS a political stance that ignores important data/strategies in Taiwan that may help fight the virus.

And I don't believe there is an official WHO office in Taiwan (you can correct me if you want but I've yet to see evidence of that). I doubt China would even let the WHO step in Taiwan to take separate recordings, and instead threaten them with defunding the same way Trump has.

Agreed. The UN on a whole is a failure of the global geopolitical framework. But the current issue is global health and so obviously the WHO are in the spotlight. And as doctors they absolutely know that letting politics get in the way of saving lives is not what medicine is about. This is not a personal attack on WHO officials. They probably have China pointing a gun at their back and have their hands tied. I'm talking about institutional failure. The WHO cannot be trusted as a global institution for health. China is diluting it with their fake data and half-baked information. It is entirely in China's interest to have the virus cripple the West so they have no reason to releasing life-saving information via the WHO. If anything, a health institution where NATO allied states could share information would be more useful than the WHO right now.