• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I mean I've had family gatherings and friends over and hand washed all the dishes and it didn't take me an hour. Maybe try hand washing.

Also I've never understood people that fill the sink to wash their dishes in it. You save water and avoid running dirty water all over them by soaping them up individually and then rinsing them off under running water.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I've had family gatherings and friends over and hand washed all the dishes and it didn't take me an hour. Maybe try hand washing.

Also I've never understood people that fill the sink to wash their dishes in it. You save water and avoid running dirty water all over them by soaping them up individually and then rinsing them off under running water.

That's not true anymore with modern dishwashers.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Does anyone else not bother with a dishwasher sometimes?

Seems quicker and easier just to handwash most things.
We don't bother because our dishwasher is an old POS and we can't afford an upgrade. Bestie handwashes all the dishes. (I, unfortunately, cannot help out because my hands are practically crippled by palmar fibromatosis.) ☹️

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone else not bother with a dishwasher sometimes?

Seems quicker and easier just to handwash most things.
I just load that shit up and let it run. It works very well. however its good to try and reduce things but just hand washing as soon as your done, but also the dishwasher actually can save water even better than hand washing.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what dishwashers took 3 hours? Mine is pretty fucking old and......nvm I don't want to know.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So this infers that in America you can't set a cycle to wash dishes in under an hour already? Cmon...

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wait, what dishwashers took 3 hours? Mine is pretty fucking old and......nvm I don't want to know.
Most of the new ones take a long time on the default cycle. 2.5 - 3 hours is the standard setting on my year-old dishwasher. It saves water and electricity.

But even then, my dishwasher has a setting that can run a whole cycle in under an hour if I want to use it. So this whole thing is just nonsense garbage like most Republican bullshit.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

I totally forgot until earlier this morning, but seeing this thread yesterday evening prompted me to research dishwashers, as I had no idea that some of them supposedly took so long to clean a single load of dishes. I hate doing dishes, but I have a really small studio, so I started researching countertop portable dishwashers. Amusingly, what sold me on the model I ended up purchasing is that it has a fruit cleaning mode. I swear, every single time I walk into Safeway, I see bags of grapes near the door and kind of want to buy them, but I hate cleaning them. Only when I revisited this thread a few minutes ago did I realize what your username was. It's funny that the thing that ultimately got me to purchase a dishwasher was stumbling into a thread about dishwashers, researching them and stumbling upon one that was designed to clean fruit (specifically because of grapes), purchasing it on that basis and only later finding that someone with "Grape" in their username created said thread. Thank you. XD

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't even know how long mine takes.

I set it after a meal, and on the rare occasions I need something cleaned before the next meal and it isn't done, I'll hand wash something.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the new ones take a long time on the default cycle. 2.5 - 3 hours is the standard setting on my year-old dishwasher. It saves water and electricity.

But even then, my dishwasher has a setting that can run a whole cycle in under an hour if I want to use it. So this whole thing is just nonsense garbage like most Republican bullshit.
It's not something I every really timed, it just never felt that long. Mine doesn't have any other setting besides just ON and even then, it would even less time if I skip the heat cycle at the end to dry the dishes. I just cant fathom someone complaining about this enough for this to even be a thing.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot until earlier this morning, but seeing this thread yesterday evening prompted me to research dishwashers, as I had no idea that some of them supposedly took so long to clean a single load of dishes. I hate doing dishes, but I have a really small studio, so I started researching countertop portable dishwashers. Amusingly, what sold me on the model I ended up purchasing is that it has a fruit cleaning mode. I swear, every single time I walk into Safeway, I see bags of grapes near the door and kind of want to buy them, but I hate cleaning them. Only when I revisited this thread a few minutes ago did I realize what your username was. It's funny that the thing that ultimately got me to purchase a dishwasher was stumbling into a thread about dishwashers, researching them and stumbling upon one that was designed to clean fruit (specifically because of grapes), purchasing it on that basis and only later finding that someone with "Grape" in their username created said thread. Thank you. XD
A fruit cleaning mode sounds really cool! I had no idea there were countertop models that could do that.

BTW, for all the people saying dishwashers aren't a thing in Asia, countertop models aren't unheard of. Even my friend's 70+ year old mother has one.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
A fruit cleaning mode sounds really cool! I had no idea there were countertop models that could do that.
Yeah, I'm really interested in learning more about its limitations. I mean, I feel the same way about lettuce as I do with grapes, and the lack of a mode for cleaning vegetables (especially green leafy vegetables) makes me wonder how this even works.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm really interested in learning more about its limitations. I mean, I feel the same way about lettuce as I do with grapes, and the lack of a mode for cleaning vegetables (especially green leafy vegetables) makes me wonder how this even works.
Well the first hit on google calls it "fruit" mode, but it says it does vegetables as well.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Dishwashers have made the American people WEAK. Vote for me and I will restore America to a JUST and HARDWORKING society where we take pride in hand washing our dishes. Don't let big dishwasher decide your dishes fate! Wash by hand and YOU decide how hot or cold the water is! Wash by hand and YOU decide how long you take and how clean "clean enough" is!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I thought dishwashers were MEANT to be cleaner with higher temp water than hands can take and also MORE water efficient than washing by hand. What is the point of increasing the water bill just to halve the time or whatever?

Also, I too want to wash my grapes.

My current living situation has no room for diahwasher. I wish I did because I hate washing dishes and when husband does it, it's not a great job lol.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Wait, is this the reason my newer dishwasher takes like 3 hours for a cleaning cycle where as the previous one I had that was like 25 years old finished in like an hour? Wasn't even aware of this lol.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
This is practically useless, nobody is going to start designing something that could go back to being "illegal" in a couple months.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
This is how Trump plans to win suburban women? Not tackling workplace discrimination. Not shrinking the pay gap. The orange wanted to win over women by telling manufacturers to make dishwashers wash faster.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

This here.

I have a "cheapo" unit since I live in an apartment and they love to cheap out on appliances. It's incredibly rare that I ever pull anything out of it with food etc. still on it. And in those cases it's my fault and not on the dishwasher. It's even more rare that I've ever been in a situation where I needed to use something that was in the dishwasher in a cycle already.

EVEN if they pass this and it goes into effect and never gets reversed, there's a thing that happens in various industries where after they've adjusted to a regulation for X amount of time, there's no point in going back even if that regulation is removed. Now that's not always the case, but in a lot of instances when it comes to consumer products being Green or energy saving etc. there's no benefit for them to renege on those selling points. This doesn't help anyone and it doesn't accomplish anything.

As Orb said, bullshit.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
This is literally the same shit he tried to pull with car manufacturers. Except that was to get back at California because he wanted to own the libs. None of those companies wanted to rollback regulations.

Feb 9, 2018
Normal mode on my dishwasher is 2:19. There's a quick mode that gets it done an hour faster. It's a relatively recent LG model (maybe about 5 years old, give or take), and it does a much better job at cleaning dishes than the one my parents had back in the 90s. With the older dishwashers, it felt like I still had to hand-wash most of the dishes after running them through the machine.

2 hours is perfectly fine for a normal wash cycle. And Trump is a blithering, clueless moron who has probably never had to wash a dish in his entire rotten privileged life.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've used a dishwasher once in my life and put in the wrong soap and it bubbled over. That was once, in college, and never again have I bothered.

I'm not sure the dishwasher in my house turns on or even works. I've never used it. It's a drying rack.

The oven is storage.

I use a toaster oven for my baking needs.