• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
So, when people are talking about Gender they're typically talking about one of three things. Gender Roles, Gender Expression, and Gender Identity.

Gender roles are the roles assigned to men and women throughout the state or country, or even more personal areas impose upon them. A man has to be the provider, a woman has to be the stay at home mom is a pretty common one from the 50's that people remember that we have moved on from as an expectation. Gender roles are informed by the society that we live in, so it's fair to say that these are a social construct.

Gender expression would be how you express your gender identity. Someone who identifies as a woman may go for feminine hairstyles, feminine clothes, mannerisms, and so on. As you might realize, hairstyles, clothes, and mannerisms differ throughout different cultures and are largely informed by societal pressures that surround us such as influences from media, parents, school, and so on from an early age and onwards. It would also be fair to say that Gender expression is a social construct.

Gender identity is the core sense of self that you have that determines the gender that you identify as whether that's a man, woman, or nonbinary. You might be under the impression that trans people look at the above categories of gender role and expression, see where they fit best, and identify that way, but that is incorrect. We actually have quite a few studies that point to there being a biological component to being trans like these :

We do not know exactly what causes someone to be trans, and it is likely a mixture of both biological and societal components. However, the above studies and the general ages that people discover that they're trans in all cultures across the world lead us to believe that there is a biological reason for trans people to exist and that it is perfectly natural.

Sex and Gender do differentiate from each other. Sex is typically considered by a lot of people to be Male or Female determined by chromosomes XX and XY. However, there are quite a few people out there who are born Intersex or with chromosomes that differentiate from the norm of XX and XY. One example of this is XXY or Kinfelter Syndrome which occurs in 1 or 2 per 1000 live male births. You can read more about that Syndrome in particular here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter_syndrome

On top of all of this, the basis for considering sexual orientation and gender identity under sex discrimination is largely due to the lack of any clear laws preventing discrimination against LGBTQ+ people in most of the country. The general logic that goes behind it is, if someone is considered male by society, they are expected to show up to work in dress clothes considered appropriate for a male, act a certain way, talk about girlfriends, and other generally straight guy things that most people don't even think about. The ways that LGBTQ+ people differentiate from cis straight men in the workplace causes us to stand out in various ways, and when people discriminate against us on those grounds, they are discriminating against someone because they do not meet the expectations of their sex, aka sex discrimination.

Thank you for writing this up.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
What I want to say about this sack of putrid shit would get me banned, so I'll just say this.

Fuck Donald Trump, Fuck the Republican party and anyone who supports those bastards.

Oct 25, 2017

Michael Gold @migold

- in the middle of Pride month

- on the anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting

- during a pandemic https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1271538687956979717 …

4:26 PM - Jun 12, 2020

www.npr.org

Transgender Health Protections Reversed By Trump Administration

Trump has reversed Obama-era protections that prohibit discrimination in health care based on gender identity. Critics warn the rule could harm a vulnerable group — LGBTQ people — during a pandemic.

it's clear he and his people love doing this shit on specific dates for maximum fuckery just like his rally in Tulsa ok Juneteenth.

Trump and everyone in his administration are detestable people.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, when people are talking about Gender they're typically talking about one of three things. Gender Roles, Gender Expression, and Gender Identity.

Gender roles are the roles assigned to men and women throughout the state or country, or even more personal areas impose upon them. A man has to be the provider, a woman has to be the stay at home mom is a pretty common one from the 50's that people remember that we have moved on from as an expectation. Gender roles are informed by the society that we live in, so it's fair to say that these are a social construct.

Gender expression would be how you express your gender identity. Someone who identifies as a woman may go for feminine hairstyles, feminine clothes, mannerisms, and so on. As you might realize, hairstyles, clothes, and mannerisms differ throughout different cultures and are largely informed by societal pressures that surround us such as influences from media, parents, school, and so on from an early age and onwards. It would also be fair to say that Gender expression is a social construct.

Gender identity is the core sense of self that you have that determines the gender that you identify as whether that's a man, woman, or nonbinary. You might be under the impression that trans people look at the above categories of gender role and expression, see where they fit best, and identify that way, but that is incorrect. We actually have quite a few studies that point to there being a biological component to being trans like these :

We do not know exactly what causes someone to be trans, and it is likely a mixture of both biological and societal components. However, the above studies and the general ages that people discover that they're trans in all cultures across the world lead us to believe that there is a biological reason for trans people to exist and that it is perfectly natural.

Sex and Gender do differentiate from each other. Sex is typically considered by a lot of people to be Male or Female determined by chromosomes XX and XY. However, there are quite a few people out there who are born Intersex or with chromosomes that differentiate from the norm of XX and XY. One example of this is XXY or Kinfelter Syndrome which occurs in 1 or 2 per 1000 live male births. You can read more about that Syndrome in particular here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter_syndrome

On top of all of this, the basis for considering sexual orientation and gender identity under sex discrimination is largely due to the lack of any clear laws preventing discrimination against LGBTQ+ people in most of the country. The general logic that goes behind it is, if someone is considered male by society, they are expected to show up to work in dress clothes considered appropriate for a male, act a certain way, talk about girlfriends, and other generally straight guy things that most people don't even think about. The ways that LGBTQ+ people differentiate from cis straight men in the workplace causes us to stand out in various ways, and when people discriminate against us on those grounds, they are discriminating against someone because they do not meet the expectations of their sex, aka sex discrimination.

So, I have always been a very vocal LGBTQ supporter but I honestly did not have much knowledge about what constitutes trans identity. I used to think it was a matter of decoupling gender from sex and that sex was designated biologically and altered for trans folks who decided to go through the reassignment surgery; ergo, I took trans to be derived from "transitioning" or "transient" between pre and post op (while still being recognized based on Gender the individual would like to be identified by at all times).

Thus, I appreciate this post immensely as it clarifies a few key things for me.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Please vote people.
I understand the dislike for Biden but Trump is the fucking scum of the Universe.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I hope a lot of people remember this when November comes around. not only we need to vote trump out but every single republican.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Well that's fucking horrific. Hope it's swiftly overturned when this monster is kicked the fuck out. I'm sorry a bigot has the power to bully you, trans friends.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I watched Michelle Obama's "Becoming" video on Netflix last night and there's a part where she just gets incredulous at people for just not voting. Fucking his admin over in the midterms. Fucking people over in 2016. "They just can't be bothered."

So yeah. Fuck those people.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
You piece of shit monster!

And on Pride Month and specifically on the anniversary of the Pulse shooting, no less! Hoping (but not expecting sadly) that Trump rots in a jail cell (and I would hope it's a supermax cell) for the rest of his pathetic, fucking life!

I'm so sorry, TransEra!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
5c6e79680d15f57e42703f02
Just look at how he holds the flag. He's disgusted.

Oct 27, 2017

Michael Gold @migold

www.npr.org

Trump has reversed Obama-era protections that prohibit discrimination in health care based on gender identity. Critics warn the rule could harm a vulnerable group — LGBTQ people — during a pandemic.

Between this and Juneteenth, it's incredibly clear these are deliberate acts of malice.

I don't wanna hear your "benefit of the doubt" garbage. You can keep that shit.

This is so fucked up, and pure evil.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
This will effect emergency homeless shelters.

Single-sex homeless shelters could choose to accommodate only people whose biological sex matches that of those they serve, under a rule to be proposed by the Department of Housing and Urban Development in the coming weeks.
The proposed rule would scrap the Obama administration's 2016 guidance requiring such shelters to accept transgender people but retains its 2012 rule barring federal housing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. The agency had been working on the regulation since spring 2019.
Under HUD's proposed new rule, details of which were obtained by The Washington Post, operators of single-sex shelters may consider someone's biological sex — instead of how they self-identify — in making placement and accommodation decisions. They could "determine an individual's sex based on a good faith belief that an individual seeking access … is not of the sex, as defined in the single sex facility's policy, which the facility accommodates," the proposed rule says.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
At some point decent Americans are going to have to amend the constitution to enshrine rights. We can't leave people's basic human rights to the whim of whatever administration is in power. We certainly can't trust the courts to protect marginalized folks

Oct 26, 2017
Between this and Juneteenth, it's incredibly clear these are deliberate acts of malice.

I don't wanna hear your "benefit of the doubt" garbage. You can keep that shit.

This is so fucked up, and pure evil.
I'm so tired of people saying Trump is a child or an idiot. He knows what he's doing. He doesn't care who he harms as long as it's not him.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm fucking shocked. He's just trying to fucking ruin the entire country before he's thrown out. I pray Biden wins and I pray he tosses Trumps ass in jail.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Fuck Trump and the GOP so goddamn much.

I watched Michelle Obama's "Becoming" video on Netflix last night and there's a part where she just gets incredulous at people for just not voting. Fucking his admin over in the midterms. Fucking people over in 2016. "They just can't be bothered."

So yeah. Fuck those people.
The fucked up part is we could have literally millions more people vote and have it not make a difference on the presidency because of the electoral college, and in many other places voters are completely disenfranchised due to gerrymandering. As the country continues to get more polarized there are only like 5 states that actually matter to vote in when it comes to the presidency. Of course they should vote because local is arguably even more important for most things, but on something like this it's hard not to become disillusioned.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Trump and the GOP so goddamn much.

The fucked up part is we could have literally millions more people vote and have it not make a difference on the presidency because of the electoral college, and in many other places voters are completely disenfranchised due to gerrymandering. As the country continues to get more polarized there are only like 5 states that actually matter to vote in when it comes to the presidency. Of course they should vote because local is arguably even more important for most things, but on something like this it's hard not to become disillusioned.
Forget 5 states its like 3 counties that matter

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This November, consider voting for a candidate who values science. If you have nothing better to do of course.

BTW, it's helpful to remember that anyone who says four more years of Trump is acceptable for any reason is fine with this kind of thing, and prepared for more. That's where they stand.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By now people should stop with the false equivalences

Biden is fucking garbage and the democratic establishment is impotent and useless

But Trump is on a whole other level of unhinged, and he keeps emboldening and enabling the worst people

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
seriously isnt discrimination clearly defined in the fucking constitution? How is this legal?

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is cruel and unnecessary. Trump already has the diehard support of Christian fundamentalists. This is just being a monster for no reason.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm reading this and I'm wondering if I have something wrong?

Under the final rule, HHS eliminates certain provisions of the 2016 Rule that exceeded the scope of the authority delegated by Congress in Section 1557. HHS will enforce Section 1557 by returning to the government's interpretation of sex discrimination according to the plain meaning of the word "sex" as male or female and as determined by biology. The 2016 Rule declined to recognize sexual orientation as a protected category under the ACA, and HHS will leave that judgment undisturbed.

So was 'orientation' never actually protected?

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

If the turnout is bigger, it will be bigger everywhere. There's very rarely a federal election with huge turnout in one place and a huge downturn in another. That's because an election with a huge turnout is always driven by a key issue that activates voters federally (in 2006 and 2008, the Iraq War. In 2018, Trump's whole deal).

Swing states are what matters, clearly. But Biden leads Penn, Michigan and Wisc. by +10 and if 0.5% of Trump's voters went the other way in those states in 2016, Hillary Clinton is the President.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
By now people should stop with the false equivalences

Biden is fucking garbage and the democratic establishment is impotent and useless

But Trump is on a whole other level of unhinged, and he keeps emboldening and enabling the worst people
Stop with this stupid shit. "our candidate is awful" is a losing election slogan. Get on the fucking bus.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Purposefully chose one hell of a day to do it...

Add it to the list of just blatantly evil things this administration's done for no reason other than to hurt others before their time in power ends.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

Michael Gold @migold

www.npr.org

That's just sickening

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
thank you for this compelling explanation. I appreciate it as someone who is trying to understand what sex means by law and by science

No problem, it may have been posted already, but this primer helps explain some of it:

Don't let anyone sell you on the idea that Human biology is super simple and basic. There is a lot to learn and it's certainly more complex than "muh two genders".