• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but who the fuck is saying that?
www.resetera.com

In light of "When the looting starts, The shooting starts" and the 100,000 US Covid Deaths, what's the thinking on Biden is just as bad as Trump? COVID

As a Mexican American I was against Trump since the very beginning. His war against Hispanic/Latin drew the most initial eyes when he declared... “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have...

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Sex is biological but that doesn't mean it's binary. Sex is on a spectrum of possible gonad configurations and secondary sex characteristics that follow a bimodal distribution. Even sex chromosomes are not binary, but they are a pretty good way of categorizing different possible sex configurations and karyotypes. Although that isn't the whole picture either if it doesn't take hormones into account.
The point is, that sex being biological or non-binary is a false dichotomy. Sex is biological and separate from gender, but it's still not binary.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not trying to ignorant here and please, if I say something wrong or hurtful I want to be educated.

The way that I always saw it is that Sex, may be determined by genes, but Gender is a social construct that only exists because of years of pushing specific gender narratives. So the government saying "Sex is determined by genes" is missing the point entirely, since your gender wouldn't be determined by any sort of genetic makeup.

Again I'm not saying this to bait anything, this is just how I've had it explained to me in the past. I am 110% on the side of Trans Rights.

So, when people are talking about Gender they're typically talking about one of three things. Gender Roles, Gender Expression, and Gender Identity.

Gender roles are the roles assigned to men and women throughout the state or country, or even more personal areas impose upon them. A man has to be the provider, a woman has to be the stay at home mom is a pretty common one from the 50's that people remember that we have moved on from as an expectation. Gender roles are informed by the society that we live in, so it's fair to say that these are a social construct.

Gender expression would be how you express your gender identity. Someone who identifies as a woman may go for feminine hairstyles, feminine clothes, mannerisms, and so on. As you might realize, hairstyles, clothes, and mannerisms differ throughout different cultures and are largely informed by societal pressures that surround us such as influences from media, parents, school, and so on from an early age and onwards. It would also be fair to say that Gender expression is a social construct.

Gender identity is the core sense of self that you have that determines the gender that you identify as whether that's a man, woman, or nonbinary. You might be under the impression that trans people look at the above categories of gender role and expression, see where they fit best, and identify that way, but that is incorrect. We actually have quite a few studies that point to there being a biological component to being trans like these :

"A twin study published in the International Journal of Transgenderism found that 33% of identical twin pairs were both trans, compared to only 2.6% of non-identical twins who were raised in the same family at the same time, but were not genetically identical."

(Source: http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/biblio/articles/2010to2014/2013-transsexuality.html)

"Several studies have found a correlation between gender identity and brain structure.[7] A first-of-its-kind study by Zhou et al. (1995) found that in a region of the brain called the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTc), a region which is known for sex and anxiety responses (and which is affected by prenatal androgens),[8] male-to-female trans women had a female-normal BSTc size (like cisgender women) and female-to-male trans men had a male-normal size. While the transsexuals studied had taken hormones, this was accounted for by including non-transsexual male and female controls who, for a variety of medical reasons, had experienced hormone reversal. The controls still had sizes typical for their gender. No relationship to sexual orientation was found"

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_transsexuality#Brain_structure)

"David Peter Reimer was a Canadian man born physically male but reassigned as a girl and raised female following medical advice and intervention after his penis was accidentally destroyed during a botched circumcision in infancy.

Psychologist John Money oversaw the case and reported the reassignment as successful and as evidence that gender identity is primarily learned. Academic sexologist Milton Diamond later reported that Reimer's realization he was not a girl crystallized between the ages of 9 and 11, and he transitioned to living as a male at age 15. Well known in medical circles for years anonymously as the "John/Joan" case, Reimer later went public with his story to help discourage similar medical practices. He later committed suicide after suffering years of severe depression, financial instability, and a troubled marriage"

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer)

We do not know exactly what causes someone to be trans, and it is likely a mixture of both biological and societal components. However, the above studies and the general ages that people discover that they're trans in all cultures across the world lead us to believe that there is a biological reason for trans people to exist and that it is perfectly natural.

Sex and Gender do differentiate from each other. Sex is typically considered by a lot of people to be Male or Female determined by chromosomes XX and XY. However, there are quite a few people out there who are born Intersex or with chromosomes that differentiate from the norm of XX and XY. One example of this is XXY or Kinfelter Syndrome which occurs in 1 or 2 per 1000 live male births. You can read more about that Syndrome in particular here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter_syndrome

On top of all of this, the basis for considering sexual orientation and gender identity under sex discrimination is largely due to the lack of any clear laws preventing discrimination against LGBTQ+ people in most of the country. The general logic that goes behind it is, if someone is considered male by society, they are expected to show up to work in dress clothes considered appropriate for a male, act a certain way, talk about girlfriends, and other generally straight guy things that most people don't even think about. The ways that LGBTQ+ people differentiate from cis straight men in the workplace causes us to stand out in various ways, and when people discriminate against us on those grounds, they are discriminating against someone because they do not meet the expectations of their sex, aka sex discrimination.

Last edited:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
If you care at all about trans people, please vote for Biden this year. I know that there are a lot of problems with him (and I personally believe Tara Reade's accusations), but transphobic orders like this need to be reversed as soon as possible, because they are causing immediate harm to trans people. Four more years of Trump means countless more trans people will die to suicide and violence. If you abstain from voting because you "just couldn't bring myself to vote for Biden," you are complicit in this transphobic agenda.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

In light of "When the looting starts, The shooting starts" and the 100,000 US Covid Deaths, what's the thinking on Biden is just as bad as Trump? COVID

As a Mexican American I was against Trump since the very beginning. His war against Hispanic/Latin drew the most initial eyes when he declared... “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have...

Ok, like most people in that thread were saying Biden isn't worse than Trump. Or are going how Biden is bad still but not worse than him. Like yeah there are a few but I'm not seeing it at the rate the other poster was implying.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I never want to read on era again some shitheel having a holier than thou attitude when I say all republicans deserve to die from horrible diseases cause fuck that whole party. Human scum all of them. They all elected this shit and they all are responsible for the massive number of corona deaths that happened just cause of their stupidity in electing a total shitshow of a government body. Fuck you all you pieces of shit. Add this to the list of horrible fucking garbage that is the gop agenda.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Yeah, the people that say the Democrats are just as bad, and minorities would still be ignored, and the status quo maintained, fuck you too.
God only knows how much damage will come from all those judges appointed by that xenophobic imbecile.
Vote and save the Supreme Court.

Feb 24, 2018

Michael Gold @migold

- in the middle of Pride month

- on the anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting

- during a pandemic https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1271538687956979717 …

4:26 PM - Jun 12, 2020

www.npr.org

Transgender Health Protections Reversed By Trump Administration

Trump has reversed Obama-era protections that prohibit discrimination in health care based on gender identity. Critics warn the rule could harm a vulnerable group — LGBTQ people — during a pandemic.

Their is no was that is coincidental, fuck Trump.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, I really do, but coming in here and saying that feels like nothing. I never voted for this shit and I made damn well sure that everyone I knew didn't vote for it either. It clearly didn't do shit.

And I don't mean to take this out on you, I'm just furious at this news. Not like I won't vote come November.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Woof, reading those first few pages is a real trip given the past few days...

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If there are any places to donate to help, might be good to gather those and spread them around like we did for BLM.

I hope some people come out for their trans friends like they have for George, but either way we have to do what we can. I'm sure he'll start raining fire down on other groups next. Asian Americans or someone else will be on the list

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
If there are any places to donate to help, might be good to gather those and spread them around like we did for BLM.

I hope some people come out for their trans friends like they have for George, but either way we have to do what we can. I'm sure he'll start raining fire down on other groups next. Asian Americans or someone else will be on the list

Facts.

Also, fuck this deep shit stain of a President.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Thanks for sharing this.

Please vote, everyone.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Why Is This Happening? Protecting trans rights with Chase Strangio

Chris Hayes speaks with Chase Strangio, a trans man and lawyer at the ACLU, about many of the complex factors at play in the fight for transgender rights.

I'd recommend listening to this podcast or browsing the transcript if you want to understand why the fight to classify sex like this is not just a trans right issue (although it is very much that!).

This has much more far-reaching impact than people might assume...

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: ableist language
Happy pride month y'all!

this administration is disgusting, cruel and transparent in pandering to the most xenophobic racist hateful trash in this country

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah, I'm at the point now where anybody that I know in real life who doesn't vote against this fucker is being cut out permanently. We've got four years of a cartoonish tier of evil to look back upon when November rolls around.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Michael Gold @migold

- in the middle of Pride month

- on the anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting

- during a pandemic https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1271538687956979717 …

4:26 PM - Jun 12, 2020

www.npr.org

Transgender Health Protections Reversed By Trump Administration

Trump has reversed Obama-era protections that prohibit discrimination in health care based on gender identity. Critics warn the rule could harm a vulnerable group — LGBTQ people — during a pandemic.

I didn't even realize it is also on the anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting.

This administration is absolutely ghoulish with their timing, optics, and cruelty, and the fucked up thing is that these moves are signals to their base and the people they oppress and the general public stays unaware of these moves and their significance as well as their symbolism, especially since they are done under the radar when other shit is happening.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they all die in the most painful way imaginable on live TV. Fuck them. Fuck you if you support this.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's just every day, and it's exhausting.

Try to balance how much you expose yourself to places like this and how much you shield yourself in a bubble offline, because sometimes I let myself do too much of the former and not enough of the latter. There is a limit to how much Era Trump news one can expose themselves to at a time. Trump is a monster and reading his daily monstrous actions is cognitively exhausting.

Let's just hope that we can replace him in November.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Try to balance how much you expose yourself to places like this and how much you shield yourself in a bubble offline, because sometimes I let myself do too much of the former and not enough of the latter. There is a limit to how much Era Trump news one can expose themselves to at a time.

Let's just hope that we can replace him in November.
Yeah, maybe I need to take a few days away from politics. Thank you for the advice.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
you're a stupid fuck Trump. If you actually cared about winning the election, you'd stop being cruel for your base, they get nothing out of it except maybe they can laugh at liberals because they are evil pieces of shit. You have won them over, they aren't going anywhere. Instead you'd actually try looking like a president because moderates are just waiting for the moment they can claim, "maybe he's changed!".

Biden has a lot of shit to fix next year.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Sex is biological but that doesn't mean it's binary. Sex is on a spectrum of possible gonad configurations and secondary sex characteristics that follow a bimodal distribution. Even sex chromosomes are not binary, but they are a pretty good way of categorizing different possible sex configurations and karyotypes. Although that isn't the whole picture either if it doesn't take hormones into account.
The point is, that sex being biological or non-binary is a false dichotomy. Sex is biological and separate from gender, but it's still not binary.

thank you for this compelling explanation. I appreciate it as someone who is trying to understand what sex means by law and by science

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
On the anniversary of the Pulse shooting...

This is sickening. Further marginalizing of those already marginalized.

Trans rights are human rights.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Why does it feel like every step forward this nation takes is one election away from being taking back?
Why does progress hang by a thread?

someday

Oct 25, 2017
So this on the anniversary of the Pulse shooting...and he's returning to campaigning in Tusla on Juneteenth. Weird coincidences. /s

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Evil, human waste

Trans people already have to deal with so much and don't deserve this shit. First that awful trans wars essay, now healthcare being stripped for the sake of cruelty :/

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
There have been PLENTY of people on this forum justifying their decision to NOT vote for Biden... and that decision says that their privilege "considers the two candidate the exact same" no matter how they try to spin it differently.

If you do not vote for Biden for ANY REASON in November - outside of not having the means to vote in the first place (i.e. not an American, had voting rights stripped from you for reasons outside your control, etc.) - you are complicit in furthering Trump's platform of wanton destruction and cruelty. Period.
This thread and what Trump did will be forgotten by those it doesn't effect and they'll be saying it again in two weeks. "I can't in good conscience vote for Biden because he is evil or some shit and he won't change much". The people Trump destroys in the meantime is not their problem. Not that I expect many of those types to have the guts to show up in this thread and own it.