• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The US government is reportedly scrutinizing Chinese tech giant Tencent and the US gaming companies in which it has an investment interest. Bloomberg reports that the Treasury Department's Committee on Foreign Investment in the US (CFIUS) has asked companies including Epic Games and Riot Games to answer questions about their data-security standards, according to "people familiar with the matter."

Representatives for Epic and Riot were not immediately available to respond to a request for comment from Ars Technica.

The company has owned 93 percent of League of Legends developer Riot Games since 2011 (and 100 percent since 2015) and 40 percent of Epic Games since 2012. The conglomerate also owns majority shares in Clash of Clans developer Supercell and Path of Exile developer Grinding Gear Games, as well as smaller shares in companies including Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard, Funcom, Discord, and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds maker Bluehole.

"Epic does not share user data with Tencent or any other company," Epic CEO and co-founder Tim Sweeney said in response to such concerns in a December 2018 Reddit thread. "We don't share it, sell it, or broker access to it for advertising like so many other companies do. I'm the founder and controlling shareholder of Epic and would never allow this to happen."

arstechnica.com

Report: Trump admin looking into Tencent’s US gaming investments

Riot Games, Epic Games reportedly asked for info on data security standards.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Not content with killing everyone & ruining the country, gotta make sure we can't have a little escapism either 😭

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
ROFL if Trump kills League of Legends, it will be amazing to behold.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Killing off Tik Tok and League of Legends. Really going for that youth vote, I see.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, if Tencent gets booted or something crazy like that, it will be a shockwave for a lot of developers. Doubt anything will happen, and especially this is likely because of Trump's dislike of China more than any logical concern.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bet the alt-right crowd is partaking of some epic lulz right about now. Their president is doing great things for gamers. Also, the death of net neutrality was a huge win.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic:

YAxu1wI_d.webp

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
First he started with social media, next is the forms of entertainment.

Perfectly fine with having US movies and games in China.... but god forbid a Chinese owned company tries to sell something here.

I can not wait to vote that racist asshole out of office... and watch him end up in handcuffs.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
First he started with social media, next is the forms of entertainment.

Perfectly fine with having US movies and games in China.... but god forbid a Chinese owned company tries to sell something here.

I can not wait to vote that racist asshole out of office... and watch him end up in handcuffs.

he's hitting education too with his hitler youth shit

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
It's so awkward seeing people siding with authoritarian practices from a racist man screaming yellow peril just to shit on a gaming company.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I want to understand something here. Is your and this forums hatred for Sweeney because Epic money hate PC exclusives?
That's what started it

But I hate how he is hypocritical about doing what is good for gamers

And I think it's embarrassing how epic sued Apple and thinks it can advise them on running a storefront when the EGS is such a trash heap that no one wants to use it except for free games or Fortnite.