• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
President Trump's relentless attacks on the security of mail voting are driving suspicion among GOP voters toward absentee ballots — a dynamic alarming Republican strategists, who say it could undercut their own candidates, including Trump himself.

In several primaries this spring, Democratic voters have embraced mail ballots in far larger numbers than Republicans during a campaign season defined by the coronavirus pandemic. And when they urge their supporters to vote by mail, GOP campaigns around the country are hearing from more and more Republican voters who say they do not trust absentee ballots, according to multiple strategists. In one particularly vivid example, a group of Michigan voters held a public burning of their absentee ballot applications last month.

"It does reduce the likelihood of Republicans embracing this process," said a senior GOP strategist. "Especially for older, more rural voters, that could be important for Republicans getting out the vote in 2020. I don't want 'I will not vote by mail' to become a political statement. But it may be too late."

According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll in late May, a sharp partisan divide has emerged over whether to make it easier for people to cast an absentee ballot, with 87 percent of Democrats and 33 percent of Republicans saying it should be easier.

Last month, Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) posted a simple message for her Facebook followers, exhorting them to vote in the next day's primary and offering a link with "information on how to return your absentee ballot," a process Iowa made easier to reduce the risks of coronavirus infection.

Not everyone welcomed the suggestion. "I will be voting, in person, for you," wrote one supporter. "Senator, I can't believe you'd support absentee ballots," wrote another. "We need in-person voting with ID or no voting at all."

Other Republicans officials are encountering similar pushback.

In perhaps the most dramatic sign of Republican skepticism about mail balloting, the campaign of one Republican senator seeking reelection this year recently sent a text urging roughly 100,000 to apply for absentee ballots — and received hundreds of negative replies, according to a person familiar with the responses.

One text said: "No thank you. I'll vote in person." Another said: "Absentee ballot? Nah. I'll be there in person. No one should legitimize this mail in voting hogwash."

In Michigan, where Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson (D) decided to mail a ballot request form to every voter in the state, many Republicans have reacted negatively.

"I don't want you sending a ballot application with my name on it to somebody else who could do something bad with it, and then I show up on Election Day, and I'm not allowed to vote," said Joel Freeman, the chairman of the Kent County Republican Party in Grand Rapids, Mich.

Trump regularly rants about voter fraud and mail ballots in the Oval Office, this official said — and will continue to do so until Election Day because "one, he truly believes it, and two, it gives him an out if he loses."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loosing the election to own the libs.

And I'm being completely serious. All it takes is ten thousand or so morons in swing states to listen to him and he loses there...

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
So Trump supporters spreading the virus even more?

I hope those elderly poll workers are wearing hazmat suits.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
And we all know what Trump & co are going to say when it becomes apparent that 90% of the Vote by Mail was done by Democrats....

FRAUD!
THE RADICAL LEFT TRIED TO STEAL THE ELECTION!
ANTIFA!

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad that Colorado has taken the approach that voting should be as easy as possible. Voted in the primary by email, received confirmation my ballot was accepted a few hours later.

No one else must have thought to vote for me since it is a crime, they would have to know my SSN and my in-state residence that I havent lived at in over 16 years and my current address, while also hoping I'm still a resident of the state. Doable, but isnt going to be too easy. Plus, I'm pretty sure if I did cast two ballots it would raise an alarm and they would reach out to me and the other person and I can still pretty easily provide identification if necessary. But sure, believe the lies of a person who routinely votes absentee (Trump)

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Who could have thought making your own dumb ass supporters despise mail-in voting during a pandemic would have an adverse effect, when anyone not voting for you has zero problems about mailing in their votes. What a dumb bitch.

Asshole thought he could get states to change their mind if he complained enough. Sadly there are already some states that make it borderline impossible to cast your vote by mail even with out any of his attempts at election tampering.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love Trump going off on mail-in ballots considering that's how he voted WHILE PRESIDENT FOUR MONTHS AGO. It wasn't even because he wasn't in Florida at the time, he was there during early voting and there was a polling station across the street from his golf course while he was there. 😆

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
To be fair, voter suppression is vastly important to the GOP and mail-in voting is a direct counter to voter suppression. So it makes sense for Republicans to try to keep people from using it. The problem is that election rules are set by the States, and Trump doesn't have any direct influence on that. And because he's dumb, his idea is to tell people to suppress themselves. The idiocy would be mindboggling if we hadn't already seen much worse from them.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Oh man that's fucking hilarious. Fred Trump really unleashed a monstrous form of irony on this world.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
To be fair, voter suppression is vastly important to the GOP and mail-in voting is a direct counter to voter suppression. So it makes sense for Republicans to try to keep people from using it. The problem is that election rules are set by the States, and Trump doesn't have any direct influence on that. And because he's dumb, his idea is to tell people to suppress themselves. The idiocy would be mindboggling if we hadn't already seen much worse from them.
These are the same morons infecting themselves to own the libs so it all checks out

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
49ZN7I.gif

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Man, I'm starting to feel pretty nervous about the high prevalence of mail-in ballots this year combined with this sharp partisan divide over attitude towards them. They always take much longer to count, and it's easy to imagine a scenario where the numbers look good for Trump on election night and then states start gradually flipping to Biden over the coming days. Conspiracies will be running rampant.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm starting to feel pretty nervous about the high prevalence of mail-in ballots this year combined with this sharp partisan divide over attitude towards them. They always take much longer to count, and it's easy to imagine a scenario where the numbers look good for Trump on election night and then states start gradually flipping to Biden over the coming days. Conspiracies will be running rampant.

Biden is opening up such a large can of whoop-ass on Trump in the four states that will decide this election that this probably won't happen. Biden's 5 point-ish election night wins in Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn and potentially Florida will just expand as absentee ballots come in.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

GOP voters are trained to be afraid of the things their own party is guilty of, so they'll think the election is rigged no matter what. Hell, Trump said the one he won was rigged.

As long as the states certify the results properly, fuck their stupid conspiracies.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
How could their campaign against a thing make their followers not like the thing? We need some marketing geniuses to decipher what's transpired here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I should have shared the two absentee ballots I got a couple weeks ago here in Michigan for people who haven't lived at my address in over 30 years (and according to Google don't even live in Michigan now) if it encourages more Republicans to throw them away.

It's been an issue going on for almost a decade that started with getting junk mail from State Farm and recently moved into government stuff, told the post office about it and didn't do anything so this time I went to my nearest Secretary of State office and gave them to someone... Then voter registration cards came for them. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
"It does reduce the likelihood of Republicans embracing this process," said a senior GOP strategist. "Especially for older, more rural voters, that could be important for Republicans getting out the vote in 2020. I don't want 'I will not vote by mail' to become a political statement. But it may be too late."
giphy.gif

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Out of interest, has anyone noticed the press asking Trump why it's OK that he / those around him vote by mail, but thinks no-one else should?

I find it strange that no-one has pressed him on it. I mean we know the answer, but putting the blatant hypocrisy out there should be something the press does.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hearing hand-wringing from conservative members of my hometown community on mail-in voting long before Trump was president. The question's a rather easy one: how do you tell that the vote is from who they say they are? To the conservative, the answer is you ultimately can't, not without "extreme" amounts of personal information. So they see mail-in voting and they see Pablo from Mexico in his basement printing out thousands of fake voting cards to stack the election. That's the fear, and that's what Trump and his ilk stoke.

It's only natural that they don't recognize the benefits they could get from mail-in voting, that they instead reject the concept outright.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This article fails to recognize how inherently hypocritical Republicans are... They will still gladly vote absentee personally even as they don't support others' rights to do it. Virtually the entire Trump administration voted absentee in 2018, after all... Ultimately, their voter suppression stands to do more harm than self-harm and we need to remain vigilant defenders of voting rights.

This is like my rural relatives who hate big government but vehemently defend their postal service. lol.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hearing hand-wringing from conservative members of my hometown community on mail-in voting long before Trump was president. The question's a rather easy one: how do you tell that the vote is from who they say they are? To the conservative, the answer is you ultimately can't, not without "extreme" amounts of personal information. So they see mail-in voting and they see Pablo from Mexico in his basement printing out thousands of fake voting cards to stack the election. That's the fear, and that's what Trump and his ilk stoke.

It's only natural that they don't recognize the benefits they could get from mail-in voting, that they instead reject the concept outright.

They do realize the votes have serial numbers and if duplicate votes come in people investigate, right?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just filled out my request for mail-in ballot this morning.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Hannity and Rush have conditioned so many people to be complete fucking morons.

They are willing to believe any fantasy those hacks throw their way.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I always wonder if there's some grand strategy that I'm not aware of but no, it's just good old fashioned self-ownage.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
SOmething I never realized until recently is how common mail in voting has been for Republicans in key swing states like Florida, Arizona, and Michigan. Rick Wilson, one of the former conservatives who is most well known for being part of the Lincoln Project, commented about how when he was organizing Republican politics in Florida in the 90s and 2000s, mail-in voting was their primary way to get out the vote early and lock voters in to try to prevent an "October surprise" and other last-minute changes of opinion. I've long sort of thought that mail-in voting would benefit Democrats and that's why idiots like Trump are so against it, but in key swing states with older voters -- Florida and Arizona being the best examples -- a huge portion of Trump's base historically has voted by mail. Nearly 70% of voters in Arizona already vote by mail. 25% of voters in Florida, and both of those groups are likely to skew older.

Uq6lAjX.png

Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio. Trump needs to win 4 of those to keep his chances in 2020, and those states all have large percentages of vote by mail expected to grow in 2020. I've long, errantly, thought that this battle against vote by mail from Trump is a strategy to try to keep people from voting who won't vote for him. Increasingly, it seems like it'll affect his base.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this ending up with people panicking on election day, as day-of ballots are usually counted first/quicker, and then having to wait days/weeks for absentees to trickle into the count. Trump crying over and over on twitter that we should throw out all the mail ballots and go with election night results... lol.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
SOmething I never realized until recently is how common mail in voting has been for Republicans in key swing states like Florida, Arizona, and Michigan. Rick Wilson, one of the former conservatives who is most well known for being part of the Lincoln Project, commented about how when he was organizing Republican politics in Florida in the 90s and 2000s, mail-in voting was their primary way to get out the vote early and lock voters in to try to prevent an "October surprise" and other last-minute changes of opinion. I've long sort of thought that mail-in voting would benefit Democrats and that's why idiots like Trump are so against it, but in key swing states with older voters -- Florida and Arizona being the best examples -- a huge portion of Trump's base historically has voted by mail. Nearly 70% of voters in Arizona already vote by mail. 25% of voters in Florida, and both of those groups are likely to skew older.

Uq6lAjX.png

Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio. Trump needs to win 4 of those to keep his chances in 2020, and those states all have large percentages of vote by mail expected to grow in 2020. I've long, errantly, thought that this battle against vote by mail from Trump is a strategy to try to keep people from voting who won't vote for him. Increasingly, it seems like it'll affect his base.

Please proceed, Govern...err, Mr. President.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I kinda worry that all the vote by mail stuff is now going to actually lead to the fraud they are talking about. How can you confirm your vote is received and counted? I've never voted by absentee before.

Are these also counted on Election Day or after?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda worry that all the vote by mail stuff is now going to actually lead to the fraud they are talking about. How can you confirm your vote is received and counted? I've never voted by absentee before.

Usually there's a way to find out that your vote was received. They are counted on Election Day if received before Election Day and the results are certified usually some time after Election Day. If the margin is big enough a winner may be declared before all are counted but in the certified results every valid vote will be counted.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Uq6lAjX.png

Michigan passed a no excuse absentee law in 2018 so things will be way different from 2016. Plus what was mentioned in the article where we are getting absentee registrations automatically. The electoral math is looking worse and worse for Trump tbh. I'm trying not to count the chickens but it's hard not to be optimistic when you look at the map. I just want to fast forward to November already.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
"We need in-person voting with ID or no voting at all."

There they go saying the quiet part out loud again.

They're scanned in and you should be able to look up online whether it was received.

Oct 27, 2017
So Trump supporters spreading the virus even more?

I hope those elderly poll workers are wearing hazmat suits.
This is what I'm really worried about. I worked as an election officer a couple of times when I was in college and a lot of my coworkers were retirees who just enjoyed meeting a bunch of strangers and helping them vote so I don't know if they'll still do it again this cycle with all the risk of transmission.

Another problem for the states that don't have easy absentee voting laws is if elderly people aren't working the polls, then we might end up with a huge loss in then umber of available poll workers and that might reduce the number of voting sites.

So if we have a reduced election workforce and a bunch of assholes making mail-in ballots a political issue, election day could become a huge shit show.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Trump crying over and over on twitter that we should throw out all the mail ballots and go with election night results... lol.

I could see that scenario being a national shitshow. Imagine the election not getting decided in Biden's favor until several days later because multiple swing states were "too close to call" until mail-in ballots were fully counted. Trump and his base would be screaming of vote rigging, etc.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I could see that scenario being a national shitshow. Imagine the election not getting decided in Biden's favor until several days later because multiple swing states were "too close to call" until mail-in ballots were fully counted. Trump and his base would be screaming of vote rigging, etc.
Let's be honest, he will do this in any case. He did it when he won!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They do realize the votes have serial numbers and if duplicate votes come in people investigate, right?

Shhhhhh, thinking too hard. Paper slips in boxes, baby. ;P

Note how shit like the "3 million fake voters" bit focuses heavily on the fear of people voting more than once. That's not even getting into the fear of ballot counters tampering the votes. That's, like, phase 2 of the grift.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017

I've been voting by mail for years. I've never actually mailed my ballot in. I fill it out at home the night or two before the election in front of the computer doing research and drop it off at a polling place on my way to work. Everything is tracked and I can look up two timestamps online. The first is when they scan my ballot as received and the second is when it's been counted. My parents live and vote in a different state and received text messages verifying theirs.

It takes a few days to count them.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see this ending up with people panicking on election day, as day-of ballots are usually counted first/quicker, and then having to wait days/weeks for absentees to trickle into the count. Trump crying over and over on twitter that we should throw out all the mail ballots and go with election night results... lol.
Mail-In ballots in Oregon have a mail-by date on them to get them in before Election Day. If you miss that date, there are drop boxes in public buildings that you can deposit your ballot.