• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yay or nay?

• Yay for everything

Votes: 25 1.8%
  • Yay for games - Nay for movies

Votes: 23 1.7%
  • Yay for movies - Nay for games

Votes: 73 5.3%
  • Nay, disable that shit ASAP

Votes: 1,265 91.3%

• Total voters

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
First thing that gets turned off when I get a new tv. Hell, I've been known to sneakily turn that shit off on my various family members TVs without them knowing.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have walked away from relationships over this shit. bridges torched because no one except me understands what frame interpolation means.

it's like when you're hanging out with a new bro and you see him texting someone and

http%3A%2F%2Fi61.tinypic.com%2F2qio6ds.png

there's no coming back from that. i have standards.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That's the shit that makes everything look like a soap opera, right? Fuck no, it's horrible.
The 4k TV I bought a few years back had it by default and at first I thought I was going insane before I realized it was something I could turn off lol.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Off, also go into TV settings and turn off every single post processing feature for the minimal input lag, guess there's game mode too which should essentially do the same thing but not all TVs are like that weirldy

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe on new Samsung TV's because of their game-mode like input latency even with motion smoothing enabled. I think it works well for slower paced 30 fps games like JRPGs

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've tried it with movies on an LG OLED. There's something about it that's just "wrong". It's not that's it's too smooth, it's more of it feels artificial when people move there arms and such, kinda like smearing but yet not. Hard to explain. I can watch 60fps vids fine, but if it's motion smoothing, I notice it instantly and turn it off.

Never attempted to try it with games.

Jan 21, 2019
Can't watch movies without. They are a stuttery mess at native fps. Impossible for gaming since it adds tons of input lag. But Sony's motion interpolation at absolute max looks much better than 120 native frames.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I can't stand that shit on anything.

I've turned it off the TVs in hospital lobbies and waiting rooms when alone. Nobody should have to suffer through it, especially when already suffering.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Absolutely fucking not, and disable it on any TV you notice it on as soon as possible. I even google manufacturer codes for Hotel TVs to turn it off.

That shit shouldn't even ship.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Literally the biggest disservice TV makers do to their customers. It blows my mind people don't notice their movies now look like damn soap operas.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I typically don't use it.

The only situation I use it in is if I'm playing a fighting game over wifi and need the extra smoothness to compensate for the added lag. I find the higher perceived framerate lowers the input lag for me.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I thought about turning it on after I noticed some judder in Animal Crossing but I think I just got used to it after a couple of days.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it keeps getting put on every new TV and interated on to be 'better' must mean people actually like this nonsense. I try not to think about it, no need to lose any more sleep!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you put a gun to my head and told me my only way to survive was to turn motion smoothing on, I'd tell you to pull the trigger twice.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing looking on LG CX with ghosts of tsh
Introduces a little latency but not much. Get used to it. Feels like you're playing at 120fps
I use it for non 60fps games that don't require pixel perfect timings. Like I'd never have it on for 2d platform games

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda funny that gamers will say "60 FPS or no buy!" But will say that 24 FPS looks great on their films.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Would love to have proper motion interpolation using velocity buffers as an option in ingame options.
This has advantage of having per pixel motion vectors, ability to have decent methods of combat occlusion etc.
It would add more computation and possibly double part of post processing pipeline. (Possibly everything post opaque lighting pass.)

Just enabling it from TV causes quite bit of latency and the result is not very good. (very noticeable judder in areas where it fails etc.)

Last edited:

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the Soap Opera effect it gives. Like why would you want that in your media? It makes it look jarring/odd to watch.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
My tv's smoothing does a decent imitation of 60 fps in games. I prefer the look but the input lag is a problem. I'll use it for games where the lag isn't an issue. If I had a tv that could pull it off with no lag I would probably leave it on for all 30 fps games.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
It's so funny how every console gamer I know IRL plays with this shit turned on. Almost each one of them is also a cloud gaming/game streaming hater because "there's so much input lag".