• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
i agree with the ign alien isolation review. a good idea of a game with great attention to detail that becomes such a boring slog to get through.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like it's a fun to play game.

People nitpick all the other aspects about it in forums because they don't like the (bad) story (that also doesn't contradict Metroid canon as they think, it's just poorly written).
Yeeeeeeeep.

Other M had its issues, but for it to receive positive reviews wasn't some absurdity.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
While this falls under "I don't agree with the review, so it's bad!" Game Informer's 6.75 for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door should count, if just for the poor justification given after the response.

I'm glad that for the most part this mentality is dead. Imagine if kids movies were given awful reviews because they were meant for kids.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP. I couldn't get past this line:

"stumbled across this gem: EGM, which awards the game a 9/10. A NINE. Un-ironically."

How would one ironically score a game a 9/10?
I'd give Sonic 06 a 9/10 because I genuinely adore it's trash.

God Hand. IGN.

hdUo0pL.png
The only wrong thing is the gameplay, but even then, it's not an objectively good system

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part is how their justification is completely backwards. Whatever score you give a game is YOUR score...not what you think the mass market will think of it.

I'm glad that for the most part this mentality is dead. Imagine if kids movies were given awful reviews because they were meant for kids.
It just doesn't make sense on any level. They start by saying they thought it was a well made game and that a lot of people would like it. Then they throw out that they think more people will dislike it than like it, because it's a kiddie game. You know, like Super Mario 64 was a kiddie game. Which even then doesn't make sense because the game has a substantially more mature story than a platformer Mario and is more narrative based, implying its intended for an older audience. And clearly more people that played it did like it considering it's got an amazing reputation among Nintendo fans and JRPGs in general. And then comparing it to the Ribbit King makes it sound like the most important factor in a review score is how wide of an audience the game appeals to, which is just a bizarre take in general. From Software games have a decidedly limited appeal, but they are still really well made games. And the end of them just saying "but hey, all that matters in the end is YOUR opinion" is such a cheap cop out, and seems like its throwing reviews themselves under the bus. Like they could have just said "I didn't like the game, I thought it was boring"... which is clearly the actual reasoning for the review, as the original review title was "Thousand Year Bore" and they complained about the excessive dialogue. The response they gave though just doesn't agree with the original review or addresses why people were upset, and was just a bad response.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Most MGS5 reviews? 93 Meta for an unfinished, repetitive mess of a game that lacks everything that made the other games of the franchise so great is pretty atrocious in my book.
Look at this edge.

Some people are still angry one of the best games of the generation has one of the highest review scores on the site,

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The following from EDGE,

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Neverwinter Nights - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Morrowind - 6/10
The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings - 6/10
Arcanum - 5/10
Temple of Elemental Evil - 4/10
Diablo 2 - 6/10
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6/10

Fallout 3 absolutely deserves that score. Bloodlines was broken at launch so I'm not surprised it didn't get a great score.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like it's a fun to play game.

People nitpick all the other aspects about it in forums because they don't like the (bad) story (that also doesn't contradict Metroid canon as they think, it's just poorly written).
That's the thing. That IGN review even praises the story!

I'd post here IGN's 10/10 they gave to Skyward Sword (easily the worst Zelda game this side of the CDi games) but I'm too tired to engage in a discussion against heathens who continue to defend SS.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing. That IGN review even praises the story!

I'd post here IGN's 10/10 they gave to Skyward Sword (easily the worst Zelda game this side of the CDi games) but I'm too tired to engage in a discussion against heathens who continue to defend SS.
Yeah the story quote is kinda bad, but at the time just before Other M I remember a lot of people wanting Metroid to be "more cinematic and story driven" because of Halo. So I guess a few felt like that's what they wanted. The pushback against this kind of storytelling and praise for it being a mostly silent series started after Other M.

Also Skyward Sword is the second best Zelda as well and a 10/10.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
The best part of Gamespot's 2000 review of Alien:Resurrection is the closing lines:

Fans of console first-person shooters or the Alien film series will probably be better off waiting for Fox's recently announced Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PlayStation 2. While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet, this is one instance where the unknown is preferable to the devil you know.

Ahahahaha!

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one immediately came to mind:

Unironically comparing Spyro's difficulty to Dark Souls is quite something.

Except she's not doing that at all.

Rather than presenting a fair challenge, defeating Buzz felt like repeatedly banging my head on a brick wall due to the limited hints given to guide the player. The breakneck shift in difficulty, meanwhile, felt like I'd suddenly been dropped into Dark Souls in the middle of a game of tiddlywinks.

She's not even talking about the game, she's talking about the sudden shift in difficulty being like going from playing a children's board game to playing Dark Souls. It's exaggeration for effect. It's a joke ffs.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3 absolutely deserves that score. Bloodlines was broken at launch so I'm not surprised it didn't get a great score.
Not to mention ToEE (a game I genuinely love for how it's the most perfect translation of D&D rules to a CRPG) was unfinished and had stuff blatantly dumbied out. Really, aside from maybe Diablo 2, you can come up with perfectly acceptable reasons for all of those scores. Even NWN1 being the highest scoring one of the bunch isn't even a stretch depending on what your qualifiers were/are.

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention ToEE (a game I genuinely love for how it's the most perfect translation of D&D rules to a CRPG) was unfinished and had stuff blatantly dumbied out. Really, aside from maybe Diablo 2, you can come up with perfectly acceptable reasons for all of those scores. Even NWN1 being the highest scoring one of the bunch isn't even a stretch depending on what your qualifiers were/are.
People may have forgotten how absolutely broken these games were at launch. It was a western RPG tradition. Although not an RPG per se, the first Stalker game is one of my favorite games of all time, but I wouldn't touch it unpatched/unmodded.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
People may have forgotten how absolutely broken these games were at launch. It was a western RPG tradition. Although not an RPG per se, the first Stalker game is one of my favorite games of all time, but I wouldn't touch it unpatched/unmodded.
No joke. Honestly, if we go with the unlikely assumption that those were all by the same reviewer, I wouldn't be surprised if part of what made NWN score higher was that it was less of a mess out of the box than a lot of the others were.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
No one deserves to lose their job just because you didn't like how they reviewed a game, that's absolute nonsense.
Ah, you're right and that's on me for not elaborating more because I would never vouch for someone to be fired because they simply "didn't like a game I like". Ever.

To be clear, the complaints in the review bordered on blatantly wrong, to the point where folks on this forum assessed that the reviewer basically lied about playing the game. When I read the review, I came away with the same impression, as if someone had an axe to grind or just felt like slamming a game because they didn't like the idea of it simply existing.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I remember several reviews of Hyrule Warriors that were something like "As musou is excellent but it is a bad Zelda so I suspend it".

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wasn't there a game that got dinged down a bit because you strafe with the left stick and look with the right stick? Good stuff.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the ones already mentioned.

Skyward Sword 10/10 IGN. YIKES
MGS4 10/10 from some outlets is also pretty bad considering how garbage that game was.
Other M reviews that praised the story or the brain dead gameplay were also a complete mystery to me.

Last edited:

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
User warned: console wars, hostility
1up gave Warhawk an 8.5 and said it deducted 1 point for $40 being too much for the amount of content and it should have been $30.

1up also gave Shawdowrun an 8 despite being the same or less amount of content for $60.

So basically, 1up is saying Warhawk would be a 9.5 and Shadowrun would be an 11 if they were $30.

Now please shower me with all your garbage justifications and defenses that games media wasn't completely anti PS3.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all Skyrim reviews were shit. Game didn't even work properly and you had to actively use glitches in a buggy game to finish some quests. It's basically that dude spinning around with his Skyrim copy. That was the actual state. And everyone remembers the memory leak stuff with the PS3 ver., lol.

God Hand is another famous one. Vanquish and similar games didn't fare much better. They blast through the game on easy for 4 hours and then call the game too short. I partly blame devs for giving the option. We lost so many good arcade genres to this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a game that got dinged down a bit because you strafe with the left stick and look with the right stick? Good stuff.

Yeah Alien Resurrection by Gamespot - https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/alien-resurrection-review/1900-2637344/

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
1up gave Warhawk an 8.5 and said it deducted 1 point for $40 being too much for the amount of content and it should have been $30.

1up also gave Shawdowrun an 8 despite being the same or less amount of content for $60.

So basically, 1up is saying Warhawk would be a 9.5 and Shadowrun would be an 11 if they were $30.

Now please shower me with all your garbage justifications and defenses that games media wasn't completely anti PS3.

Oh my god, you're still angry about PS3 coverage after 13 years? This is just... beautiful.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I remember bouncing off of Fallout: New Vegas back when it first came out.
Close to a decade later it became my favorite entry in the series.

Criticism is never set in stone. People change.

Oh FFS.
Get this shit out of here.