• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Slan'ts Sekiro review
www.slantmagazine.com

Review: The Punishing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Coasts on Borrowed Moves

Its boss fights highlight the contrived lengths that FromSoftware has gone to in order to satisfy players’ thirst for difficulty.

One of the most awful things ever written. The author's clearly hateful and jealous of the director, he spents more time complaining about him then the actual game, and it seems like he hasn't even gotten past the first level.

Ad-Infinitum

Nov 1, 2017
Sorry OP. I couldn't get past this line:

"stumbled across this gem: EGM, which awards the game a 9/10. A NINE. Un-ironically."

How would one ironically score a game a 9/10?

Oh thank goodness, I couldn't get past that either - "non-sarcastic" or "not tongue-in-cheek" would perhaps be more context appropriate. Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb misuses "ironic" (in much the same way) all the time.

Please don't perceive that as overt criticism OP btw, I agree with your point at hand - the EGM Colonial Marines review is completely inept, bordering on the naive.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Slan'ts Sekiro review
www.slantmagazine.com

Review: The Punishing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Coasts on Borrowed Moves

Its boss fights highlight the contrived lengths that FromSoftware has gone to in order to satisfy players’ thirst for difficulty.

One of the most awful things ever written. The author's clearly hateful and jealous of the director, he spents more time complaining about him then the actual game, and it seems like he hasn't even gotten past the first level.
OH and don't forget the time the same reviewer, Pressgrove gave a game a 0/5 because it "insulted his religion" Dude's a fucking joke.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
fab.jpg
Ok sorry, that OST comment though...

The game is full of engaging atmosphere and the soundtrack is incredible.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sterling's original Hellblade video review. Obviously, he backtracked and deleted it. Stopped watching his content after that.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really only consider a review bad if it gets things factually wrong. Believe or not, people have different opinions about games than you!

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
The 2.0 review from IGN to a Football Manager will always be hilarious. One of the few times I've seen a magazine ask for forgiveness and removing the review.

Mixing up a deep spreadsheet tycoon game... with FIFA.

Oh my god, I remember this. My vote goes to this one for sure, what an embarassment that was.

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews that gave a high score + didn't explicitly convey how flawed MGSV & FFXIII are as mainline entries in their respective series.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
It was EGM's EIC. Funnily enough, I was freelancing for him at the time, and he was fuming about the blowback in the immediate aftermath. "Come on! It's good! What's everyone's problem?"

He was gone not long after.

He sounded like a blast to be around... /s...

But yeah, I will still never get over how fucking horrible the review was for God Hand. Like... what? Did they even fucking play it?

I know it comes down to score and bulletpoints, but for some reason, the fact that it's an 8/10 without showing any cons/negatives in the ending score irks the hell out of me. If you read the whole review, there are literally no negatives to speak of (unless I'm really missing something) and it's still an 8/10. What?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I was going to post this. Absolutely reads like a preview piece

"The best RPG of this decade? Nine more years will tell, but for now, yes."
No you don't get it, not mentioning any of the game's many negatives and heaping tons of positive hyperbole on it doesn't make it a bad review. /s

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the WWE Raw 2 for the OG Xbox IGN review reading a lot like the promotional materials sent to reviewers at the time.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
The USGamer review of Horizon: Zero Dawn (5/10) remains the worst review I've ever read. It was seemingly reviewed by someone who came into the genre already hating it, and boiled down to "Yes, it's another open world game. You can pick herbs, explore and kill things. Why would a protagonist do side quests anyways? Her main quest seems more important. Yawn. It's pretty though."

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Basically anything Jed Whittaker wrote for Destructoid just came across as incredibly douchey and condensending.

Case in point. I don't give a shit about Phantom Dust, never played it, but the tone of the review is fucking insufferable.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every review by Dave Halverson but more specifically his golden axe beast rider review 9/10 lol.

Oct 29, 2017
The Nier review from the late Joystiq was an embarrassment, thanks to whichever McElroy who couldn't figure out how to proceed and tore the game to shreds in his review. Then readers (and even fellow staff, if I remember correctly) pointed out how little attention he must've been paying to the game because the route to progression ended up being fairly obvious. Some kind of fishing mini game, I believe.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
KH3 Polygon review, an entire rant about the reviewer wondering if he's too old now to like KH instead of an actual review.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
How was that a different era? What has changed. Other reviews here are clearly from a different time. The MGS5 ones read like reviews from today and people hold the same opinion.
Like I said before big games getting lower scores across the board. More games are getting 70s and less are getting reviews in the high 80s and low 90s. Something like Days Gone back in 2014 would have reviewed really well but now it's getting 7s. I think reviewers are just beginning to mature and be more critical.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Nier review from the late Joystiq was an embarrassment, thanks to whichever McElroy who couldn't figure out how to proceed and tore the game to shreds in his review. Then readers (and even fellow staff, if I remember correctly) pointed out how little attention he must've been paying to the game because the route to progression ended up being fairly obvious. Some kind of fishing mini game, I believe.
Yeah, that was Justin McElroy. He couldn't understand the fishing minigame and ragequit the game. Which is the most absurd reason to quit Nier.

He also ragequit Code Name S.T.E.A.M. when he reviewed that for Polygon, though that was more for the fact that it's a very difficult, slow game and he lost patience with it.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
All those dodgy DRIV3R and Rise of the Robots reviews in magazines back in the nineties that gave those games (which were turds) high scores.

There was once a review of a football management game by someone who was expecting a football sim, the review was so bad it got pulled.

I'll try and find it -edit-- was ign's football manager 2009 review:

Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 Review
This game gets a red card, and possibly a lifetime ban.
by Avi Burk

December 5, 2008 - What sports fan doesn't want to take control of his favorite team and guide it to a championship, or, better yet, a long string of championships? Well, if it means playing Worldwide Soccer Manager, you can count me in that number.

Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 gives gamers the chance to manage and coach 5,000 soccer teams from 50 countries around the globe, giving them the chance to manage every aspect of their team's roster, field questions from reporters at their team's press conferences, and coach their teams in real time as each simulated game unfolds. What it doesn't do, more importantly, is provide any compelling reason to keep "playing."

Although the game's database of more than 350,000 real-life soccer players is certainly impressive, only the most diehard fans of the sport would be able to appreciate having such a massive pool of talent to sift through, and the casual fan would almost certainly find the task overwhelming – I did.
This is a game solely intended for hardcore soccer fans.

The game's incredibly complex menu system is very difficult to navigate, even with the on-screen help box directing you through the process. In short, this game is extremely difficult to simply pick up and play. If you're unfamiliar with the franchise expect to spend a significant amount of time simply trying to figure out how to navigate the menus.

Worldwide Soccer Manager's presentation problems don't end there though, once you finally make it to your team's first game you'll find that the player renderings and animations are awful, and the stadiums you play in lack any kind of personality or detail. Each field is bordered by fences and what appear to be unfinished stands, which don't have any fans in them. And, when the ball is kicked off of the pitch, it passes smoothly through the surrounding fences, right through the stands, and disappears from view only to return to the field in the same fashion, appearing magically from the stands and passing through the fences (and goals) on its way back into play.

Then there's the sound, or lack thereof. There is no soundtrack that plays while you work in the game's menus, which you'll spend the vast majority of your time in this game doing. There is no audio narration to accompany your participation in press conferences, even though your options for how to respond to each question is incredibly limited. There is no audio commentary to accompany the action in the simulated game's you watch/coach. In fact, the only sound we found in the entire game was the tones of fans cheering as each simulated game played out – which only detracts from the game's feel of authenticity seeing as there are no fans rendered in the stands.
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 deserves a bicycle kick into the circular file.

As far as traditional gameplay goes, there really isn't any in Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009. Apart from managing your roster and coaching your team, there really isn't anything to do at all. So, unless you really enjoy clicking on menu buttons, you'll find your interaction with this game extremely disappointing.

However, if you're a big footie fan and big fan of sports simulation, you'll be extremely impressed with the depth of Worldwide Soccer Manager, which allows you to control just about every facet of your team and draw from a player pool that is simply mindboggling.

Closing Comments
This game obviously aims to provide the deepest soccer simulation experience possible for the sport's most passionate and informed fans, but it offers little to nothing that would appeal to a casual fan of the sport or to the average videogame enthusiast. The menus are complex and difficult to navigate, graphics are terrible, the sound is non-existent and there is no traditional gameplay to speak of. I couldn't imagine why anybody would prefer Worldwide Soccer Manager to FIFA 09 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.

2/10
yes, i guess this would be the greatest of all atrocious reviews. You just can't be more off the point than this reviewer. And I love Football Manager, being clear

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Polygon and Sim City sure had a fun journey. I remember Arthur Gies defending the online only requirement really hard.

The kicker was that EA was very aware of Sim City's late game problems, and so geared all of its preview and review events to ensuring journos didn't have a chance to see what a shitshow the endgame was. Ever notice that there are a lot more unscored review-in-progress write-ups for games like these now? it's cause outlets don't want to fall into that trap again.

Apr 21, 2018
I think we all know GTA4, MGS4, and Uncharted 3 did not deserved all the 10/10s.

Not awful, but just obvious fanboy, graphics hype culture at play here.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a lesser-known one is Tom McShae's review for the WiiWare game Lost Winds. The game had been enjoying relatively positive reviews most places and then Tom came along and gave it a 5.5, and he pretty much hammered every single aspect of it right down to the game's length (most people considered three hours a pretty reasonable length for a discount indie game). I might be remembering this incorrectly, but I think this was one of the very first reviews he did for GameSpot in a lot of people just assumed he was trying to be controversial to get some attention. Turned out, that was really just Tom.

Oh...huh.
While I didn't have any complaints about Lost Winds' length, I didn't really care for the PC version's controls.
My final score ended up being a 4.
(I think the sequel is pretty good though)

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
In terms of reviews I didn't care much for, I guess the IGN ORAS review would be it for me, but not because it was about too much water (a very legit complaint that the pokemon community unfortunately didn't take well), but because it had SO many problems regarding on how badly the game was dumbed down compared to the original and overall just a not fun game, which hardly any reviews mentioned, and if they did, it was dismissed with a very insulting note along the lines of how "The original games were probably just as dull so this is better as it looks pretty". That sort of stuff in remakes can really be damaging since it can make the originals seem like they were just as dumbed down or insultingly easy even though most of the times it wasn't the case.

But I feel that if any reviewer did make note of those problems, the pokemon community would have gone insane since they don't seem to like whenever the games get low scores even if they have perfectly legitimate reasons. After all, people getting really mad at the too much watercomplaint despite it being a legitimate problem (until you get a Sharpedo to speed across the routes, which isn't something the game makes too obvious as it's one pokemon out of 700+ that can do that) was a depressing thing to see, so I don't blame the most critical reviewers for being careful with their wording. Heck, I don't even think that review is really atrocious (pretty strong word used there), just not fully aware of the context of the original games, which to be frank newcomers to the series/Hoenn would lack as well.

Besides that though, I don't really consider any professional reviews to be "atrocious" since they mostly come down to differing opinions even if I don't agree on stuff regarding games I love (Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is my favorite game in history but others find it OK and I respect that) or can't stand. (Everyone loved Xenoblade but I was like "how the heck did anyone think this was a good idea to have auto attack?")

I mean, obviously stuff from awful hate group supporters like certain far-right youtube channels or websites that back a certain 5 year old hate group that cram their "reviews" with racial slurs and petty insults are easily the worst reviews out there, (coming off as a sad attempt to be edgy and serious even though it's just offensive and annoying and i'm not gonna take it seriously) but there's a reason they aren't professionals and thus I'm not gonna count those assholes even if they're an easy answer. (despite how sad it is to see some of them get a big following)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always worth remembering the "too much water" thing is a bullet point in the ORAS review, not in the actual text. The reviewer didn't write that even. And it's a valid point as well, even though I love Hoenn (not an ORAS fan tho).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The kicker was that EA was very aware of Sim City's late game problems, and so geared all of its preview and review events to ensuring journos didn't have a chance to see what a shitshow the endgame was. Ever notice that there are a lot more unscored review-in-progress write-ups for games like these now? it's cause outlets don't want to fall into that trap again.
Its' definitely a smart move after events like that. That whole SImCity incident was slapstick comedy in review form.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I remember a NieR review that didn't finish the game cause he can't do fishing.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The following from EDGE,

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Neverwinter Nights - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Morrowind - 6/10
The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings - 6/10
Arcanum - 5/10
Temple of Elemental Evil - 4/10
Diablo 2 - 6/10
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6/10
I know others have already said this, but without the text (and, more importantly, the reviewers so we can know which were reviewed by the same people, if any) to go along with things, this list is a little meaningless. That said, I don't actually see most of those scores as all that unagreeable from a cursory glance.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
While this falls under "I don't agree with the review, so it's bad!" Game Informer's 6.75 for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door should count, if just for the poor justification given after the response.
My favourite part is how their justification is completely backwards. Whatever score you give a game is YOUR score...not what you think the mass market will think of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to find the text(I still own the magazine I think) but here's the scores from EGM

True Crime: Streets of L.A. - 6.5, 9.5, 5.5

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017