• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

True Endings

• Yay

Votes: 386 38.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 608 61.2%

• Total voters

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
If its some convoluted method of getting it and it contains really important story stuff then it's super annoying.

Stuff like Halo's legendary endings are cool though. Just little extras as a reward that don't alter the experience.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
This greatly depends on the game

Some games have branching paths and they give you the option to go back to the point where you have to make a choice. I'm fine with true endings if the game has this feature

If the game doesn't have it and I have to play through the whole game again and potentially have to write down/look up a guide, then it depends how much I really like the game to move forward with it.

If I have to pay for the "True Ending," then 99.9% I'm not going to bother. I'll just watch it on Youtube.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion design choices like that don't respect the player's time. If I went through and finished the game, yeah, I'd love to see the ending I spent time to get to, thank you.
Locking plot behind some arbitrary demands is pretty shitty and disrespectful.

I also hated how Nier Automata made you go through the whole game a few times so you can know what's up, I gave up halfway through the 2nd playthrough because it was pretty much the exact same playthrough as before but with a worse character.
I know it's supposedly changing things around for the 3rd one, but yeah fuck that, there are other games I'd like to play.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
"Play through the game four times and meet some obscure requirements or else you get the shitty ending." Nope. Fuck off.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I've always rather liked the concept, and particularly the nomenclature. There's a peculiar sort of weight to one possibility being labelled as "true" while others aren't. It easily leads to scenarios like Type-Moon games, which tend to have their two possible endings be the Good End and the True End -- conveying implicitly that "and then they all lived happily ever after" was never really on the table. Simple, but very neat.

When done right, it can also be a good vehicle for implicit characterization of the playable character. You, the player, can necessarily force the character to act however you want; you're controlling them. However, having a True End depend on you taking certain actions allows the game to show-not-tell you something about the person that character is "when you're not around", so to speak.

The example of this sort that I always remember is the first Gunvolt game: to get the true ending, you have to wear a specific piece of equipment into the final mission. As a player, there's no reason you'd ever equip it; it's not just useless, it's actively detrimental. So, by having it be a requirement for the True End, the game is telling you that regardless of what you would choose, Gunvolt himself would choose to swap out his useful military-issue item (which in gameplay terms makes you nigh-unkillable, by the way) for this 100% worthless accessory... Because it's a handmade gift from someone he loves. He doesn't think he'll make it back from this mission. That's what it's showing you, and it's doing it purely on the back of the True End mechanic. The game could force you to equip it; it could ignore the equipment menu and just have the necklace be worn in the cutscene regardless -- but it doesn't do those things, and I think the moment lands a lot more soundly for it. Moments like this one make True Ends with obscure requirements worthwhile.

Obviously you can also have sucky true ends that do nothing cool at all, but that's no fault of the mechanic itself. It's just the devs doing a bad job.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
If I get them the first time thru, without a guide? Fucking sick, love em

Any other time, absolute trash and bad design

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I believe Ys8 required you to do all the side quest events (or nearly all of them) with the fellow islanders. That stuff is annoying even if I do enjoy doing them. Because I know there are people who don't.

Though my least favorite is doing some obscure series of choices that aren't even related to the main plot nor easy to find without a guide. That stuff can burn.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I hate them, especially if they have specific requirements. Secret alternate endings are fine though.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's something like Nier Automata then YES!!!

If it's like Arkham Knight then no

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I really don't have a problem with it, some people like beating games at the max difficulty and collecting all the watchamacallits, and 100%ing everything, so it's cool for them. And for me, I'll just watch the true ending on YouTube once I've beaten the game to my satisfaction.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I like them but I also havent played a lot of JRPGs where there's a failstate really early on or obscene grinding involved to reach them.

In Zero Escape I actually enjoy seeing where certain timelines go bad or get held up so the true ending is just a reward for the effort anyway

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If I can play a game, finish it, and get a true ending, then whatever, that's cool. If I need to replay it just to get an ending, it's awful game design 9/10 times.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Some games it right. Love them in Suikoden series. But any ending hidden behind multiple runs I check on Youtube.

Feb 24, 2018
Depends on the game.

In an RPG where your choices matter, then no, I don't like them, it cheapens the experience and becomes a guide, especially if you don't agree with the ending best the "best" or "good"

In games where the alt endings are treated as what ifs or big WTF things like say Silent Hill games then no not really.

But then their is the middle ones which is a grey area like Bioshock 1 and Life is Strange. The latter is annoying because it's clear one ending was worked on more and was considered the "canon" one despite both choices being considered valid, Bioshock is odd because I'm not sure whether it's okay for an ending like should.

But what about say a Fighting game like Mortal Kombat's arcade endings that can be contradictory?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
As usual, it depends heavily on the game itself. Generally if you can get the true ending using a reasonable level of intuition and without a guide, then yes. Persona 3-5 are really good at that.

However, there are a ton of ways to do true endings wrong. If you can't get the true ending at all on your first playthrough (i.e., it's New Game + only), that's bad. If it's locked behind something really obscure and/or needlessly difficult, that's also bad. If you need to constantly be looking at a guide the whole way through just to make absolutely sure you didn't miss anything for 100%, that's very bad.

I can definitely name more games that do it terribly vs. the games that do it well, so ultimately that's a No vote.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I like them when you can figure them out on a first playthrough and there are no inane traps. I hate them when they require insane grinding, long-term planning, or very specific dialogue options.

Achieving the "True Ending" of Persona 4 Golden, for example, is total bullshit.
I agree with this post, and the fact Persona 4 is one of the better ones as of late in regards to true endings is ridiculous.

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
I watched the true Ending of Drakengard 3 on Youtube after trying for hours to get through it...still like the concept of an true Ending which you need to get out of your way to get it

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is now an Arkham Knight thread
YsFaEJz.png

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's something that can be achieved without too much hassle then no, I don't like them.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
if you can reasonably figure it out, it's good. stuff you'd probably never do is not so good. locking yourself out early on without knowing it is really bad

Arkham Knight is it's own thing, that's just ridiculous busywork. I don't understand how that even happened

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it depends on how easy/missable it is; I don't mind working a little harder for it but shit like Arkham Knight can fuck right off.(and or multiple play throughs)

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, it depends heavily on the game itself. Generally if you can get the true ending using a reasonable level of intuition and without a guide, then yes. Persona 3-5 are really good at that.

However, there are a ton of ways to do true endings wrong. If you can't get the true ending at all on your first playthrough (i.e., it's New Game + only), that's bad. If it's locked behind something really obscure and/or needlessly difficult, that's also bad. If you need to constantly be looking at a guide the whole way through just to make absolutely sure you didn't miss anything for 100%, that's very bad.

I can definitely name more games that do it terribly vs. the games that do it well, so ultimately that's a No vote.

Original 3 and 5, sure, but 4 is fucking terrible for it and Golden and Royal are way beyond reasonable and arguably the worst offenders presented in this thread.

4 required multiple specific answers to dialogue tree, and they are like 20 minutes past the closest save point due to the game having awful QOL and no scene skip. Golden and Royal require very specific S. Links to focus on, beyond what the original games required.

What is FE TH's true ending? I don't think it has one.

It doesn't have a True Ending, and goes out of its way to ensure that there isn't any ending that is more right than the others. The war is inevitable, and every faction has its own goals. Golden Deer is definitely the "happy" one, but I don't think I've ever seen people treat that like a True Ending.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
A million percent yay, as long as I enjoy the game itself. I'm not a "content tourist" (excuse the term, I just don't know a better way to express that concept) and prefer games that have a lot on offer post-game.

Thinking back on my childhood, I didn't have access to the vast amount of games I do today. Take something like Valkyrie Profile 1. The true ending (which includes tons of extra gameplay) is ridiculously obscure and arguably impossible to unlock without following a guide. As an adult, I played it through once without a guide and then replayed it with a guide and didn't mind that much because the game is relatively non-linear and the gameplay was top-notch. However, I can only imagine what a massive feeling it would have been to actually discover all of that stuff on my own when I was younger. For context; I think I beat Final Fantasy 7 like... 40 times from beginning to end as a kid. There's no chance in hell I'll play through a long and story-driven game that many times today. Really makes me wish I knew about Valkyrie Profile 1 and owned that instead back then, honestly :P

If I couldn't stand playing a game a second/third/whatever time through, I probably didn't care about any true ending or the regular ending to begin with, honestly, so I never really feel like I'm missing out. If it's a game that's boring as heck to play but has an intriguing story, I'll just watch the true ending on Youtube.

I will say that games with very high investment requirements that have a completely uninteresting true ending are annoying, though. Just don't bother at that point.

Last edited:

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I like it. Give repeatability if you want it and else I can see several other ways the story could have ended and such.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like true endings when they are a reward for doing something super secret and side questy. P4G for example.

If not, then it is less interesting but it depends on the situation. Like if you know up front there is a bunch of bad ends and one good end and the game is figuring out how to get the good end then that is fine too. If its just "we made a bunch of endings so we can put that bullet on the box and we like this one best" then I'd rather not deal with it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If it requires a boat load of time wasting or, even worse, replaying the entire game again, nah

If it's not that hard to get then I don't have a problem with it though it's still a bit silly. If you want to have a bad ending that's still somehow canon or whatever just have the player immediately transported back to the divergence point or something.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Hate them. They're nearly always lockid behind some dumb arbitrary demand that requires a stupid amount of collecting or you have to use only the games badly implemented shit stealth non-lethal mechanics.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I've always rather liked the concept, and particularly the nomenclature. There's a peculiar sort of weight to one possibility being labelled as "true" while others aren't. It easily leads to scenarios like Type-Moon games, which tend to have their two possible endings be the Good End and the True End -- conveying implicitly that "and then they all lived happily ever after" was never really on the table. Simple, but very neat.

When done right, it can also be a good vehicle for implicit characterization of the playable character. You, the player, can necessarily force the character to act however you want; you're controlling them. However, having a True End depend on you taking certain actions allows the game to show-not-tell you something about the person that character is "when you're not around", so to speak.

The example of this sort that I always remember is the first Gunvolt game: to get the true ending, you have to wear a specific piece of equipment into the final mission. As a player, there's no reason you'd ever equip it; it's not just useless, it's actively detrimental. So, by having it be a requirement for the True End, the game is telling you that regardless of what you would choose, Gunvolt himself would choose to swap out his useful military-issue item (which in gameplay terms makes you nigh-unkillable, by the way) for this 100% worthless accessory... Because it's a handmade gift from someone he loves. He doesn't think he'll make it back from this mission. That's what it's showing you, and it's doing it purely on the back of the True End mechanic. The game could force you to equip it; it could ignore the equipment menu and just have the necklace be worn in the cutscene regardless -- but it doesn't do those things, and I think the moment lands a lot more soundly for it. Moments like this one make True Ends with obscure requirements worthwhile.

Obviously you can also have sucky true ends that do nothing cool at all, but that's no fault of the mechanic itself. It's just the devs doing a bad job.
I was particularly annoyed with the first Gunvolt because I didn't feel how the true ending played out was worth the trouble necessary to get the materials necessary to make that necklace, but that's me.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with them, provided the requirements aren't crazy. Peace Walker level shenanigans can fuck off tho

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Hate it.

Radiant Dawn is my favourite FE game but to get the true ending (basically just adds a few new scenes in the last part, two new characters for the late-game, and the full epilogue) you have to do a second playthrough. Howlongtobeat says it takes about 42 hours for one playthrough. I guess today that doesn't seem too long but playing the exact same 42 hour game twice just to get the full ending was and is annoying.

I don't mind sequential endings like Nier Automata or different paths like Three Houses since both involve some level of new content to get the different endings.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of like how Halo does it. Just a little bonus at the end for completing a Legendary run, but doesn't change anything about the actual ending. (Hell, Halo 1's bonus isn't even canon.)

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Generally, nay. Some games just take it wayyy too far. Like Final Fantasy X-2. Even worse is that you have to start the game over if you made the "incorrect" choice at a certain part, as you'll never be able to 100% it to get the ending.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Depends on the game. If it's a visual novel with routes that vary a lot, I don't mind replaying. Especially if they just let me skip what I've seen before. Or the Nier games that do them well.

Regarding Cold Steel 4, it's awful. Both endings are garbage and the plot devices explaining them are nonsensical. It's fitting that the game couldn't end well, given how trash the rest of the writing was up to then anyway.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I can't be bothered. Whatever ending I get, I get. I've generally lost interest in a game's story by the time it ends anyway. In the case of an exception, like Silent Hill 2, I'll look up the ending that sounds the best/most fitting on Youtube and pretend I got that one.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Original 3 and 5, sure, but 4 is fucking terrible for it and Golden and Royal are way beyond reasonable and arguably the worst offenders presented in this thread.

4 required multiple specific answers to dialogue tree, and they are like 20 minutes past the closest save point due to the game having awful QOL and no scene skip. Golden and Royal require very specific S. Links to focus on, beyond what the original games required.

Eh. I had zero problems getting the true endings of Golden or Royal. Rule of thumb: when a Persona expansion adds a new social link, max those immediately, because those characters are 100% involved with the new route. As for Persona 4's dialogue trees: if there's an option that suggests there might be more to the big mystery than what you've been presented with, always choose that option. Even playing the game for the first time back in 2008 I selected that option without even blinking.