• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished episode 2. Odds on Pizzolato being one of those "Snowflake" hatin' libertarians went up dramatically with the "intersectionality" eyeroll moment and the "Just don't tell me you're a Democrat" combo. Still really enjoy the show.

My theory so far:
I think the brother was molesting the sister. Sister was involved in the brother's murder with someone else.

That moment came off more as a combination of him bristling at the subject being an "interest" of hers and talking about it through an academic framework.

If I was a 70 year old(or however old) black man, I'd probably give some side eye as well.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Pizzolato skewed libertarian.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
That moment came off more as a combination of him bristling at the subject being an "interest" of hers and talking about it through an academic framework.

If I was a 70 year old(or however old) black man, I'd probably give some side eye as well.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Pizzolato skewed libertarian.
I think that's a totally valid interpretation. On its own, I don't think it's inherently an indicator.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first episode Sunday night and the second episode yesterday. Mahershala Ali is so damn talented. He's doing fantastic work in this right off the bat, and Mr. Dorf is solid too. I really like their partnership interactions so far. The writing definitely seems tighter than it was in Season 2- lines don't seem as nonsensical nor do they trail off into a meaningless tangent.

The mood setting, direction, and lighting was also really well done. The whole vibe is evocative of Season 1's tone without feeling too overlappy or like a forced retread. I'm not diving into the theory fever train because I'm looking forward to letting the mystery unravel slowly. If the show is worth its weight, it wouldn't be giving all the information to form a proper conclusion right away. Not without a major leap of luck, anyways...

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoyed the first two episodes. 2nd season crap not even in the same stratosphere. Like others, not looking forward to Pizza directing episodes.

Dec 11, 2017
The teacher found out the daughter was being abused at home, and tried to "help".

Then in 1990 Hayes caught wind of it and tried to cover it up because he loved his wife. By 2015 he can't consistently remember he did that.

That's where I'm at, theory-wise.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Excellent first two episodes. Ali, Dorff, Saulnier, even the Pizzaman himself all killed it. The moment the characters started talking like real people I knew it was going to be better than season 2.

Really excited to see more.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Alright watched em both

First of all, Ali is old Arthur Ashe with those glasses right?

The three time periods seem to work for now, some good shots too ( Ali on top of the hill when he calls the partner), music eerie enough but maybe a little too much present?

what we know now is that someone(the father,the uncle,the junk man?) was wrongly jailed for 10 years and that the little girl is alive and she's grown

the Alzhaimer ( i guess? or dementia?) aspect that makes the narrator something in between reliable/non reliable is interesting too

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Sad that we only get two saulnier directed episodes. It's always a treat to get more work from him.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's really blowing me away so far but I haven't kept up to date on a 'prestige' show on a while so I'm in for the ride.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, whatever makeup they're using on main black dude to make him look older is fucking stellar. Easily the best character in the show so far, too. Bad guy from blade is hamming it up a bit, and so is teacher writer love interest lady, but that's just nitpicking. They're still good, and maybe they're simply paling in comparison to our primary hero.

West Memphis Three vibes are real thick, and at times TOO thick, but I like the curve ball they threw at the end of the first episode, and now I'm totally bought in. I'm also one of the idiots who loved Season 2 for just how off it was. I've got more fond memories of Season 2 than Season 1, and I LOVE Season 1. I mean, that tracking shot when they go to the projects and fight the bikers? Alexandra Daddario topless? Hard to beat, truly, but I still think Season 2 does it. Looking forward to seeing how Season 3 stacks up. It's off to a great start.

And it's so nice to have some wind in the HBO sails after that last season of Game of Thrones was utter trash and completely swept away any interest in the final season I could have had left.

Also, my hot take on the killer's identity- we won't find out who the killer is. The season is clearly setting up to be West Memphis Three, which is an unsolved case wherein three teenagers were falsely convicted of murdering some young kids and were eventually released after proving their innocence. 1990's plotline is clearly setting up a conviction that's going to be overturned so here's how it all plays out: 80's timeline they pin the crime on the "satanic" bullies, just like the actual West Memphis Three case. 90's timeline it turns out the girl is still alive and the exonerates the three convicted kids. 2015 timeline, the case remains unsolved.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the first two episodes with the GF, it's certainly solid so far. I would've liked just a bit more humor sprinkled here and there, but I'm enjoying the slightly oppressive atmosphere. Ali is fucking great, and yeah, the makeup work is insanely good. We'll definitely keep watching.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Watched the first two episodes with the GF, it's certainly solid so far. I would've liked just a bit more humor sprinkled here and there, but I'm enjoying the slightly oppressive atmosphere. Ali is fucking great, and yeah, the makeup work is insanely good. We'll definitely keep watching.

Dorf looks like Vincent Adultman with that hair and coat though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't recognize Dorf at all but then again i haven't seen him in anything since the e-cig commercials and Blade was 2 decades ago

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that heavily drew me into the first was the mysteriousness / creepiness of it all. Very thrilling. Anything like that here?
Aside from one specific aspect of the crime, not really.
seems they're playing it straight this time whereas the first season was heavy handed in creating that creepy/otherworldy tone and imagery and the second tried the same approach but got lost in the weeds with it. surprised the 80s arkansas town seemed like Anywhere USA instead of some Lynchian backwater hellhole

which i guess is a good line to toe. it's a decent whodunnit and just builds from there instead of trying to hit a bunch of tonal marks.
Yeah, I'm struck by how completely...standard the whole thing seems. It's well written, well acted, and interesting, but it's missing that special something that Season 1 had so far. Maybe I'm crazy.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in love with this season so far.

The basis of the anthology format is vague but for me True Detective should continue to be set in period pieces of rural locations, a conflicted lead(s) played by an A-Lister, and dealing with a particularly horrific case that deeply disturbs but also has links to wider systematic problems, and multiple timelines. With some philosophical musings.

Season 1 set all of this in motion, and basically ended with the conclusion of 'we did what we could, we can't take down all the evil in the world'. Season 2 kind of abandoned aspects of this and went with LA, and one timeline, but still kept the rest, focusing on a particular case that is intertwined with a wider 'too big to take down' scenario.

Season 3 seemingly takes all of this forward again but going back to a more rural location. The snag this time I think is going to be a false conviction and people taking advantage of that scenario, as well as a wider cult; but I think the case itself will be detatched and be a much closer to home conclusion.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Had the girlfriend over and we watched the two episodes back to back. Show has started off on a very high note, seems like it has gone more up to the standard of quality of the first season.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Just caught the first 2 episodes last night. It's simiring along very nicely. Even if nothing will match the magic of season 1, it's already way more focused than season 2.

Nov 30, 2018
People notice too much

Just saw Reddit post that was basically "Lucy's cousin lied because Chips aired on Sunday's and he said he watched it on Friday as his alibi"

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People notice too much

Just saw Reddit post that was basically "Lucy's cousin lied because Chips aired on Sunday's and he said he watched it on Friday as his alibi"
idk I like this kind of shit that past generations would only know cuz re-runs are so common now, and we already know that guy is sketchy af

also when you drill a hole does sawdust accumulate on the originating puncture side or the resultant puncture side?

Nov 30, 2018
idk I like this kind of shit that past generations would only know cuz re-runs are so common now, and we already know that guy is sketchy af

also when you drill a hole does sawdust accumulate on the originating puncture side or the resultant puncture side?

Maybe both?

Definitely on the puncture side

strumenti-per-forare-il-legno.png

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm not sure why people are reading into everything and trying to solve the "mystery." Season 1 wasn't "solvable." In fact, for as great as season 1 was, the conclusion was pretty lackluster. It spent a lot of time building up this mystery and creating all this intrigue and then it was like "they lawn mower guy from a couple episodes ago did it." LOL.

Not that I"m down on season 3. Loved the first two episodes and excited to watch episode 3 tonight!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people are reading into everything and trying to solve the "mystery." Season 1 wasn't "solvable." In fact, for as great as season 1 was, the conclusion was pretty lackluster. It spent a lot of time building up this mystery and creating all this intrigue and then it was like "they lawn mower guy from a couple episodes ago did it." LOL.

Not that I"m down on season 3. Loved the first two episodes and excited to watch episode 3 tonight!

There were still hints tho such as the Church Statue pointing at him

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's because pizzaman has put a lot of effort into hiding tonnes of shit so it's fun to break all of it down.
As for "solving it" people have been doing this forever on the internet and irl.

I remember one of my friends really hating Sixth Sense because they instantly knew the "twist" and was basically stuck there for 2 hours watching it play out.
We had to hear all the way on the ride home how he knew it right away.
Yeesh

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

People actually did solve S1 before the end though. People put the childs "green spaghetti monster" sketch next to the photo of the man on the lawnmower long before he was revealed to be involved in the murders. They figured out who was behind the animal masks in S2 as well.

Nov 1, 2017
Not that I think it'll enter into the show at all, but it might be of historical interest that in real life a couple of months before the time the first episode is set (November 1980), a nuclear missile exploded in its silo in northern Arkansas. (It was an uncontrolled fuel leak; the warhead itself didn't go off.) Tense times.

Edited to add--it's not the best picture, but this is what the silo looked like afterward. The door that used to be on top of it weighed 740 tons. They found it about 600 feet away.
d2d47265-fae7-4ce9-bc6a-c04145e43cc1-large16x9_IMG_2923.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I think it'll enter into the show at all, but it might be of historical interest that in real life a couple of months before the time the first episode is set (November 1980), a nuclear missile exploded in its silo in northern Arkansas. (It was an uncontrolled fuel leak; the warhead itself didn't go off.) Tense times.

Edited to add--it's not the best picture, but this is what the silo looked like afterward. The door that used to be on top of it weighed 740 tons. They found it about 600 feet away.
d2d47265-fae7-4ce9-bc6a-c04145e43cc1-large16x9_IMG_2923.JPG
Cool, I actually don't know much about Arkansas historically.
Almost everything I know about US history is Alabama from that region

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the two episodes available, good stuff. Definitely more akin to the first season which is an easy plus, and all the actors involved are killing it, especially Ali. The only negative so far is that the show is quite ugly. It's shot nowhere near as good as the first season, and after just finishing off Homecoming this looks like a basic TV show in comparison. (slightly exaggerated for effect)