• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GF and I planned to just watch episode 1 last night and episode 2 tonight and then.....she fell asleep 10 minutes into the first one lol. Not that I mind, but that means we have to rewatch the first one tonight before I get to see the second one.

Oh well, the first one was great so it wont be too hard to get through again. Ali is magnetic.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
This has me hooked, hard!

Ali is fucking amazing and him and his partner are awesome and yet totally different to Rust and Marty.

Such a turnaround from season 2 and I'm hanging to see the rest of the season.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing that heavily drew me into the first was the mysteriousness / creepiness of it all. Very thrilling. Anything like that here?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This has me hooked, hard!

Ali is fucking amazing and him and his partner are awesome and yet totally different to Rust and Marty.

Such a turnaround from season 2 and I'm hanging to see the rest of the season.

Yeah, it's damn good. If the whole season went up at once I would have stayed up all night and binged it. Episode 1 was good, but by the time episode 2 was over I was majorly hooked!

A lot of people keep bringing up the wife. It's not her. They are telegraphing that too hard. I'm sure there will be some kind of revelation about the wife, but I doubt she's the killer. I also suspect Purple's daughter may in fact be dead.

I keep seeing people bringing up that there were multiple references to the yellow king... I didn't catch them. What were they?

Lastly, if they are going to do the unreliable narrator thing then I hope that it's done in a way that all of the flashbacks they are showing us (as part of his deposition) are accurate. It will feel like a cop-out if at the end they just go "here's what really happened" and change the flashbacks.

paradox85

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Really liked the first two episodes, seems like S3 will be a lot more similiar to S1 than S2 (thank God for that). Can't wait for more episodes!

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Off to a good start with these first two eps. We made it through two eps of a show in Arkansas in the 80s without an N world being dropped so far. (i think) although it seemed like some held back on it

everbody is great so far....Ali, Dorf, McNairey, Ejogo

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
First two eps were really good. I'm getting the feeling we're going to end up with a West Memphis 3 type outcome. I hope they don't go that way.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the biggest problems for me with S2 was the urban setting. I much prefer the rural, southern settings of S1 and now S3, probably because I grew up in areas like them. I also think places like Trash Man's house makes for a much creepier atmosphere, again probably because I've seen actual places like that and can relate to it more.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First two eps were really good. I'm getting the feeling we're going to end up with a West Memphis 3 type outcome. I hope they don't go that way.
they definitely hint at that with the kids in Sabbath shirts listening to X and nod to the Satanic Panic of the 80s with the D&D manual. i don't think they'll go too far down that path, but we know the prosecution of the culprit in the 'first' timeline is in question so who knows.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Off to a good start with these first two eps. We made it through two eps of a show in Arkansas in the 80s without an N world being dropped so far. (i think) although it seemed like some held back on it

everbody is great so far....Ali, Dorf, McNairey, Ejogo
No, Ali dropped it when he was threatening that guy with prison rape.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

There's an interview with Pizzolatto here where he shoots down the West Memphis 3 similarities. He also states that anything the viewer is shown can be trusted as happening, so the whole unreliable narrator thing is out the window as well. I'm actually happy both of these are the case.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember what the D&D manual was...forest of something. Was it a real one? I took it as something inserted for S1 fans who read into everything shown on screen.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the biggest problems for me with S2 was the urban setting. I much prefer the rural, southern settings of S1 and now S3, probably because I grew up in areas like them. I also think places like Trash Man's house makes for a much creepier atmosphere, again probably because I've seen actual places like that and can relate to it more.

Agreed. Louisiana was as much of a character as Rust and Marty were in S1. Feeling a similar way about the setting in this one. I didn't get that vibe at all from S2.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
When Wayne says what he says to the released pedo and ends it with "you'll be bleeding black cock" in such a matter of factly way, I was howling. It came out of nowhere lol.

Roland's reaction summed it up.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff. I get so stoked when I see Scoot show up in stuff. Such a fantastic underrated character actor. I remember reading rumors years ago that he was being considered for The Flash in the DCU.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are they trying to get across by having the crime take place on the day Steve McQueen died?

Not sure, but I'm guessing it may have something to do with Ali being an unreliable narrator, especially with his memory issues seemingly present even by 1990. He was drinking the night of, and had a bottle in his nightstand even in 2015/present day.

A lot of memory studies find that most people really can't remember any given day very well, but sometimes things like a celeb dying standout, but people still might get that day confused with a different day, etc. Like it may be that his memory was even an issue in 1980 and he may have fucked something up.

Or it's just nothing really.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
I want to point out too, how good Stephen Dorff is in this so far. I saw the opening credits roll and all these great actors names were popping up and then Stephen Dorff. Good for him, though.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The Forests of Leng. It's not a real Dungeons and Dragons module.

From the Wikipedia page you linked:

" Lovecraft first mentioned and described aspects of Leng in Celephaïs (1920) in which it is described how Kuranes "once barely escap[ed] from the high-priest not to be described, which wears a yellow silken mask over its face and dwells alone in a prehistoric stone monastery on the cold desert plateau of Leng". "

Also:

" In The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, (1926) the Plateau of Leng is located in the north of the Dreamlands, an alternate dimension accessible only in sleep. It is inhabited by the High Priest Not to Be Described, who dwells alone in a prehistoric monastery, and by a race of degenerate, goatish humans who are feared by all other men. "

Fun stuff :p

Last edited:

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, first two episodes were great. Definitely on a whole other league than the boring S2.

Skipping between the timelines is really confusing for me though, I hope I manage to keep track enough to understand it all

Dec 11, 2017
I know movies exaggerate the size of the moon in the sky all the time, but Hayes remembered that full moon like he was in Majora's Mask.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really, really enjoyed the first episode and found the writing and direction to both be massive improvements over S2. It also helps that Mahershala Ali is probably the smartest casting decision since McConaughey, he already runs a pretty wide gamut of emotions across the three timelines.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, first two episodes were great. Definitely on a whole other league than the boring S2.

Skipping between the timelines is really confusing for me though, I hope I manage to keep track enough to understand it all
It's easy to tell when you look at the main character's hair. It's much shorter in the 1990 timeline than in the 1980s. You can obviously tell when he's an old man.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Caught the first episode. It's really solid. The script still occasionally veers into self-parody, but the acting carries it across anyway. Ali is riveting.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Good stuff. I get so stoked when I see Scoot show up in stuff. Such a fantastic underrated character actor. I remember reading rumors years ago that he was being considered for The Flash in the DCU.

He is so good in this, especially his performance in episode 2. When he is being driven home by the detectives and breaks down...fuck

I can't go to sleep...and I can't wake up.

Fuckin heartbreaking stuff and played to perfection by Scoot.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Oh pizzaman you did it, it vastly improves on s2

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Watched both episodes today. Very good start. S1 will be difficult to top, but they are all doing an awesome job. Ali and Dork are really good. The makeup is truly brilliant and Ali delivers on each timeline.
The uncle is the culprit, I am calling it.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random accusation/theory from nowhere: The woman who is taking down the jack o lantern as the kids ride by her house, and later is seen comforting the mother. She kidnaps the daughter to marry her own maladjusted son/husband.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious where they are going with the deposition/interview framework. There's an unreliable narrator aspect in that what he says isn't reflected in what we're seeing but there are also moments where it bleeds together. Is that just showing how he's slipping in and out of the control of his own thoughts? Then there's Wayne's dementia and how he's using the interview to recenter himself but that's also layered in with him coping with life by blinding himself to the rest of world using the case/job. IIRC, season 1 sorta had this fake out where Rust is revealed to be just fucking with the present day cops interviewing him so I wonder if they're going to do something similar, where Wayne is going to have present day rationalizations shape what we see happening in the past.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious where they are going with the deposition/interview framework. There's an unreliable narrator aspect in that what he says isn't reflected in what we're seeing but there are also moments where it bleeds together. Is that just showing how he's slipping in and out of the control of his own thoughts? Then there's Wayne's dementia and how he's using the interview to recenter himself but that's also layered in with him coping with life by blinding himself to the rest of world using the case/job. IIRC, season 1 sorta had this fake out where Rust is revealed to be just fucking with the present day cops interviewing him so I wonder if they're going to do something similar, where Wayne is going to have present day rationalizations shape what we see happening in the past.

You just reminded me of the scene where Rust is talking to the cops about the 'gun fight that occurred' to cover up Marty's execution of the child rapist. Incredibly tense scene.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
The day Steve McQueen died (November 7 1980) the moon wasn't full, according to various websites at least :P It was the new moon phase, full moon arrived on the 22nd. Pizzaman are you lying to me?

I'm so so sorry.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I could see it all lead to a end confrontation where we the viewers know Hays is talking to the kidnapper but he himself is unaware due to not remembering key details.