• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
VwjmvKk.jpg

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
we didn't fuck it up!

i think considering the scandals in this campaign, this really isn't so bad. trudeau didn't deserve a majority.

as is, a liberal/ndp coalition should get lots of things done if they cooperate. and if they don't, they'll be punished at the booth next time. i'm sure there's lots that the bloc will cooperate on as well. enjoy having zero voice, you regressive piece of garbage conservatives. the con tears should quench those praries till the next election.

maybe there will be a time when sask/alberta/manitoba don't have their heads up their asses

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy for you Canada but the fact that Tredeu survived like 5 blackface scandals is incredible. I don't fully understand how it works with Parliment/Prime Minister (was it proximity to the election that made it impossible to replace him?) but I feel genuinely bad for those in the Liberal party, especially minority members, who have to stomach such a horribly offensive individual as their leader.

I understand it's a lesser of 2 evil things but it still sucks.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Happy for you Canada but the fact that Tredeu survived like 5 blackface scandals is incredible. I don't fully understand how it works with Parliment/Prime Minister (was it proximity to the election that made it impossible to replace him?) but I feel genuinely bad for those in the Liberal party, especially minority members, who have to stomach such a horribly offensive individual as their leader.

We don't vote for a leader/prime minister in parliament.

We vote for Members of Parliament(MP), who typically, are part of a party. That Party has a Leader that they elected to represent their party.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

It's pretty simple: Trudeau is not thought of as racist because his record from his first term in office is seen as pretty progressive and embracing of minorities. Also: it seems, in Canada at least, a lot of minority groups got over the whole Trudeau in blackface thing and attributed it to being a dumb person under 30.

On the flip side, the people that have been droning on about the whole incident here have been our right wing Donald Trump like party, which I think a lot of Canadians saw through. When it's mostly people with white skin being offended by the blackface thing (in perception) it's hard for those white people to go to minority communities and continuously yell "Why aren't you offended?" in a way that makes them look good.

TLDR: people here seem to know it was an extremely stupid thing for him to do, but are willing to forgive based on his governing record.

Edit: Plus people did seem to think his apology was genuine and he did admit when making the apology that there were other incidents when he was younger. So it was pretty above the table while all the rest of it came out.

Jan 18, 2018
I love to reject the values of the right wing and lead the values of the progressive world by celebrating the the blackface guy.
Wearing Blackface and being culturally insensitive still gets you elected??

Not very progressive

Of all the atrocities being commited and that have been committed against minorities and indigenous people i find it hard to give a damn about a dude wearing blackface.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
TLDR: people here seem to know it was an extremely stupid thing for him to do, but are willing to forgive based on his governing record.

Edit: Plus people did seem to think his apology was genuine and he did admit when making the apology that there were other incidents when he was younger. So it was pretty above the table while all the rest of it came out.
Adding to this, Canadian Conservatives (blue) were the most faux outraged about it:

8. 53% said they heard a lot about the blackface story, another 34% have heard some. 13% had not heard of it at all.
9. Asked how they reacted to the story, 42% said it didn't really bother them, 34% said they didn't like it but felt Mr. Trudeau apologized properly and felt they could move on, and 24% said they were truly offended and it changed their view of Mr. Trudeau for the worse. Worth noting is that of that 24%, two-thirds are Conservative voters.
10. Among those aware of the photos, asked how this might affect their vote on Election Day, 40% said they were not planning to vote Liberal anyway, 48% said it would not affect their vote and that they would decide on other issues. Of the 12% who said it was affecting their thinking, half said they were considering the Liberals but leaning away from them because of the incident and half said they were considering the Liberals but cannot support them now.

9lxEXMh.jpg

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying he's a racist, and I understand you'll look past it to not have your own version of Trump in office, but that's a hard fucking pill to swallow when you got a privileged rich white dude, son of a fucking prime minister who didn't think anything of running around in black and brown face costumes when he was in his 20's, in the 1990's .Mistakes of the youth" etc. I get it, just personally think it points to his core character, which ultimately his policies will matter more but that's a doozy.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have some American friends that have been doom & glooming me during the election over how it's now Canada's turn to Turn Shithead like the rest of the "western" world.... I'm so glad we dodged that

now we need to figure out how to make the prairies happy, if possible. "Wexit", blergh

pundits keep saying how the NDP was a blip in Quebec but I think it's the Bloc who is the actual blip this time. What good is an "NDP lite but we want special treatment and can't form a coalition" party. NDP has captured seats in Quebec before, it can be done again

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Such a failure for pretty much all the parties. The liberals couldn't sweep, conservatives failed (exept in the west) and NPD failed.

At least NPD and the Bloc can agree on some stuff with the Liberals since they are all left parties.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying he's a racist, and I understand you'll look past it to not have your own version of Trump in office, but that's a hard fucking pill to swallow when you got a privileged rich white dude, son of a fucking prime minister who didn't think anything of running around in black and brown face costumes when he was in his 20's, in the 1990's .Mistakes of the youth" etc. I get it, just personally think it points to his core character, which ultimately his policies will matter more but that's a doozy.
That's great, but he's already had a 'good' term, and it meant putting the bricks on for the cons.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
now we need to figure out how to make the prairies happy, if possible. "Wexit", blergh

Not possible unless an oil boom happens.

They will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a post fossil fuel future.

For people that seemingly swear about the free market, they can't seem to accept that investment in oil(especially long term investment that's pricey and messy to extract) is declining.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not possible unless an oil boom happens.

They will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a post fossil fuel future.

For people that seemingly swear about the free market, they can't seem to accept that investment in oil(especially long term investment that's pricey and messy to extract) is declining.

I think any plan has to be an aggressive pairing of fossil fuel reduction with environmental industry. The main issue is really jobs. If we can work out how to transform from the old to the new and give the prairies a new economic powerhouse to step onto, it could work.

Everyone sort of intrinsically knows the oil is a dead end at some point. If there's enough money flowing from green jobs they will not care.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That's great, but he's already had a 'good' term, and it meant putting the bricks on for the cons.
party over country mentality intensifies. Trudeau was obviously the better option, but he probably shouldn't have been given a free pass for it, it might be difficult for Liberals to get a majority back with Trudeau at the helm & minority parties tend to get nothing done, it's frustrating as my country has the same issue.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
think any plan has to be an aggressive pairing of fossil fuel reduction with environmental industry. The main issue is really jobs. If we can work out how to transform from the old to the new and give the prairies a new economic powerhouse to step onto, it could work

It's definitely possible.

But you just have to just do it somehow, you'll never sell them on the idea beforehand.

And it's kind of hard to do it when they elect conservative provincial government that are hostile to anything not O&G and pro-environment.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Adding to this, Canadian Conservatives (blue) were the most faux outraged about it:

8. 53% said they heard a lot about the blackface story, another 34% have heard some. 13% had not heard of it at all.
9. Asked how they reacted to the story, 42% said it didn't really bother them, 34% said they didn't like it but felt Mr. Trudeau apologized properly and felt they could move on, and 24% said they were truly offended and it changed their view of Mr. Trudeau for the worse. Worth noting is that of that 24%, two-thirds are Conservative voters.
10. Among those aware of the photos, asked how this might affect their vote on Election Day, 40% said they were not planning to vote Liberal anyway, 48% said it would not affect their vote and that they would decide on other issues. Of the 12% who said it was affecting their thinking, half said they were considering the Liberals but leaning away from them because of the incident and half said they were considering the Liberals but cannot support them now.

9lxEXMh.jpg
That's been obvious.
Anyone that complains about blackface after his apology likely had no intention of ever voting Liberal and uses it as an excuse or tries and guilt others for doing so with this.
It's been going on repeat in conservative medias.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So, it's a minority but strong enough to be treat as a majority? What it means in the long run?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
party over country mentality intensifies. Trudeau was obviously the better option, but he probably shouldn't have been given a free pass for it, it might be difficult for Liberals to get a majority back with Trudeau at the helm & minority parties tend to get nothing done, it's frustrating as my country has the same issue.
Like I said, he's proven politically. I don't know what comeuppance looks like to you, but if you were expecting him to secede his seat that would be a mistake.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rejecting right wing populism but embracing right wing liberalism

I hope we'll eventually get an even better future

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
1.6% but they got 0 seats.

Yeah they'll be of no consequence for another 3.5-4 years.

One of my colleagues has an interesting theory. According to him, Jason Kenney will be the new CPC leader for the next election, assuming they take place in 2023 and also according to him, he might actually win easily if this happens. Does the MP of Alberta even speak french? I don't know much about him.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's pretty simple: Trudeau is not thought of as racist because his record from his first term in office is seen as pretty progressive and embracing of minorities. Also: it seems, in Canada at least, a lot of minority groups got over the whole Trudeau in blackface thing and attributed it to being a dumb person under 30.

On the flip side, the people that have been droning on about the whole incident here have been our right wing Donald Trump like party, which I think a lot of Canadians saw through. When it's mostly people with white skin being offended by the blackface thing (in perception) it's hard for those white people to go to minority communities and continuously yell "Why aren't you offended?" in a way that makes them look good.

As an outside observer, I find it really fascinating how the blackface scandal backfired. Firstly whoever dropped it in the first place did it way too soon. Trudeau had time to apologise, everyone got over it quickly, and then the news cycle ended up becoming dominated by Scheer's antics. Secondly it oddly worked in Trudeau's favour since it ended up highlighting how much he has matured as a person since he's used his power fairly responsibly on that front.

If it had dropped shortly before election day, I reckon the outcome would have been very different.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing that the better guy win, but is it really fitting to call Trudeau a progressive though, what's with the (multiple) blackface and brownface and all that.

His policies have been progressive which is what people care about most. I don't think there's many people in Canada who actually believe he's racist, or he'd have lost.

The largest noise about blackface was by white conservatives who suddenly care about racism and were trying to make it a wedge issue.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
excited to grit my teeth for the next 2-4 years as fellow Canadians abuse the language of social justice and shower this party with unwarranted praise while it does things like challenging human rights rulings on compensating First Nations kids forcibly removed from their homes or otherwise harmed by underfunded services. thus is the life of an indigenous Canadian.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Such a failure for pretty much all the parties. The liberals couldn't sweep, conservatives failed (exept in the west) and NPD failed.

At least NPD and the Bloc can agree on some stuff with the Liberals since they are all left parties.
Bloc is not a LEFT party

the Bloc are Ultra-Far-Right on Ethnic-Nationalism and can't be reasoned with