• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The people bringing that up are conservatives and die hard NDP supporters. No one paying attention believes that Trudeau is racist. But that's politics for you.

edit: well that didn't take long.

I think they did a poll and moat people who were angry about it were white and from AB/SK lol.

You'd have to be living under a rock the past 4 years to think he's racist.

And honestly Trudeau is a perfect representative. He's white and privileged, acknowledged it and apologized for things he did in the past back when it was more acceptable and vowed to be better.

The left seems to want some some paragon of virtue instead.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Insensitive commentary on racial issues, hostility
Apologies. I was angry and lashed out.

Last edited:

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
My agenda? For freaking being against racist actions? Get out of here with this shit

Conservatives are using it for obvious reasons, but that doesnt mean that everyone bringing this up is a conservative

That's something so obvious that I shouldnt even have to explain, really

And I recognize that Trudeau has done some good. I'm just against ignoring completely his past mistakes just because conservatives are using it against him.
so when can past mistakes be forgiven?

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. I'm getting really fucking annoyed at some people in this forum.

Fuck your purity tests. This man has proven, through his actions, time and time again, that he's far outgrown that shameful moment. Fucking let it go. You were never an edgy, idiot teenager?

Let people grow. We are all of us greater than our worst moments.

Preach.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Justin%20Trudeau%20em%20blackface%20durante%20uma%20festa%20em%202001%20

This Trudeau, right?

Whatever then
It was racist and Trudeau has apologized for his racist act. No one gave a shit during the election and no one gives a shit now because Trudeau's faults have nothing to do with twenty-year old racism. His present actions speak for themselves: both the good and the bad.

If you want to take him to task, you have more than enough to talk about without resorting to a gotcha: for example, how First Nations people are still treated in this country.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Add Americans looking for a reason to bash Canada without knowing anything about his current politics to that list.

Canada does it to itself with how they treat First Nation peeps. Whether Trudeau can enact policy change on a local level is probably beyond any PM but again you can't just pretend it's just us Americans looking for a way to deflect from what's happening in our country. These chuds and racists are everywhere and you really gotta own it. Can't pretend shit like the Highway of Tears is just some anti-Trudeau made up thing. Canada has failed these people and they continue to do so. I'm glad these protests are happening and this solidarity is spreading worldwide.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My agenda? For freaking being against racist actions? Get out of here with this shit

Conservatives are using it for obvious reasons, but that doesnt mean that everyone bringing this up is a conservative

And I recognize that Trudeau has done some good. I'm just against ignoring completely his past mistakes just because conservatives are using it against him.
What is the point in bringing it up still? He has apologised and he has proven time and again that he has changed with his actions. Is he not trying to listen to the community now? Or do you think this is all performative?

For the record, I am south asian, so his brown face and black face deeply disappointed me.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I think they did a poll and moat people who were angry about it were white and from AB/SK lol.

You'd have to be living under a rock the past 4 years to think he's racist.

And honestly Trudeau is a perfect representative. He's white and privileged, acknowledged it and apologized for things he did in the past back when it was more acceptable and vowed to be better.

The left seems to want some some paragon of virtue instead.

Tell me about it. I feel there's a re-alignment of party support going on and we're still in the middle of the shuffle. I'm not sure how things will line up come the next election but the NDP can't survive solely on Bernie supporters. And now the conservatives don't think they're conservative enough and have completely went full republican.

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean, I chalk it up to ignorance since there is a huge gap between then and now. But whatever, I and the rest of Canada has moved on.
I mean, I don't care about it anymore, but saying you're sorry doesn't make the issue go away especially when you were once part of this specific problem. And individuals, don't have to forgive.

"They've grown and changed" isn't the get out of jail free card people think it is when someone they like gets criticized for racism.

You moved on, but I wouldn't speak for the rest of Canada.

What is the point in bringing it up still? He has apologised and he has proven time and again that he has changed with his actions. Is he not trying to listen to the community now? Or do you think this is all performative?

For the record, I am south asian, so his brown face and black face deeply disappointed me.

Let's not pretend it's irrelevant.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? lol

You keep telling yourself that, pal

If you want to ignore his blatant acts of racism, that's on you

Having the nerve of saying that anyone bringing that shit up is a "conservative"

Get real

It's easy to be sorry when you are in a position such as his

I'm someone that judges people from their actions when no one is looking

He may as well be doing all of this because he knows that people are watching. He is not idiot.

If you want to believe in him, ok, that's on you

But I have my reasons for not believing in him, and I honestly think that its justified

You cannot be posting here in good faith.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Justin%20Trudeau%20em%20blackface%20durante%20uma%20festa%20em%202001%20

This Trudeau, right?

Whatever then

The irony of this issue being brought up constantly is that minority groups accepted his apology and don't think Trudeau is racist (he won the election after this came out plus the way he governs is anything but racist) but the majority of the people online who keep bringing this up happen to be white conservatives trying to prove a point.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's amazing to know that, if you're a teenager and fuck up; changing and apologizing for your actions isn't enough.

This isn't the "Better world" I want to see. People should be allowed to grow.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not calling him out on it despite him having done some good shows YOUR agenda more tha anything
Yeah it shows you are a fool that would rather keep harping on something than looking at the good that has been done. I'm not ignoring his past mistakes but I am looking at the other poltical parties and thinking man canada at least elected someone who is competent even if he's far from ideal. The idea of scheer getting in or someone equivilent scares me.

I mean, I don't care about it anymore, but saying you're sorry doesn't make the issue go away especially when you were once part of this specific problem. And individuals, don't have to forgive.

"They've grown and changed" isn't the get out of jail free card people think it is when someone they like gets criticized for racism.

Let's not pretend it's irrelevant.
It doesn't make the issue go away but he has shown time and again that he's doing an okay job and compared to any conservative goverment, I can think he's better than that.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

The rest of Canada voted him in IN SPITE of it. I think they've moved on.

So you're saying nothing is forgivable even after a sincere apology is kind of a sad state of affairs.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

Fuck your purity tests. This man has proven, through his actions, time and time again, that he's far outgrown that shameful moment. Fucking let it go. You were never an edgy, idiot teenager?

so when can past mistakes be forgiven?
So we are now going to pretend that people in here doesnt always judge others for past mistakes?

Even after apologizing? You guys are being hypocrites or havent been here for long

How many threads we've had in the past where users crucify people that have apologized or outgrown past mistakes?

I'm bothered because I think that people are giving Trudeau a pass because conservatives are already using it against him.

But anyway, I won't keep this discussion going. Dont want to derail the thread further.

If he trully believes in BLM or not, if he is there in the protest only for show or not, at least it's a good example for the public, so good for him

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good people can make horrible decisions.
Judge a person by their character and the whole of them.
Especially when they honestly acknowledge and improve from their past mistakes.

Good on Trudeau for going.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was racist and Trudeau has apologized for his racist act. No one gave a shit during the election and no one gives a shit now because Trudeau's faults have nothing to do with twenty-year old racism. His present actions speak for themselves: both the good and the bad.

If you want to take him to task, you have more than enough to talk about without resorting to a gotcha: for example, how First Nations people are still treated in this country.
Exactly, he's far from blameless and canada has a long ways to go but I stand by the ones constantly harping on that picture are conservatives.

So we are now going to pretend that people in here doesnt always judge others for past mistakes?

Even after apologizing? You guys are being hypocrites or havent been here for long

How many threads we've had in the past where users crucify people that have apologized or outgrown past mistakes?

I'm bothered because I think that people are giving Trudeau a pass because conservatives are already using it against him.

But anyway, I won't keep this discussion going. Dont want to derail the thread further.

If he trully believes in BLM or not, if he is there in the protest only for show or not, at least it's a good example for the public, so good for him
I'm not giving him a pass, I'm looking at his current actions and that shows change.

Oct 25, 2017

Ask those people

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A lot. Which is why I said "I'm getting really fucking tired of people on this forum."

Don't be part of the problem. Be better.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

There's a difference between a meaningless apology topping a shit sundae and consistently demonstrating support for immigrants and minorities like Trudeau has done. Don't take his word that he has changed; see it in his actions.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You got a link to this poll? I find rural Ontario is just as bad as rural Alberta so I question these kinds of statements. It could be true but I think a lot of stuff about Alberta is made up. When I lived in Edmonton I saw none of it.

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of Canada voted him in IN SPITE of it. I think they've moved on.

So you're saying nothing is forgivable even after a sincere apology is kind of a sad state of affairs.
You're assuming a lot especially when I speaking on an individual level. If American votes in Biden, that doesn't mean I or most of us forgive everything shitty he's done. You're simply assuming that for Tredeau.

Nothing's forgivable? Who the fuck said that? I said, it's up to people to decide what they forgive. Someone apologizing doesn't mean EVERYONE forgives them or needs to.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

As someone who made jokes at the expense of minorities in the past, I am doing my absolute best to be a better person in the here and now. I was raised in a staunchly right-wing household. It's been a journey for me, and I try to be better every day. I am not the same person I was years ago and am using this opportunity to listen, learn, and grow.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot. Which is why I said "I'm getting really fucking tired of people on this forum."

Be better in this instance literally means "let it go".

Like I said, I don't care about Trudeau's past, I laughed my ass off at that story honestly and made fun of my Canadian friends when it broke, but him saying sorry doesn't mean everyone has to let it go, and the "he's grown" part is very assumed on the part of the people who did forgive him.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Ok now lets see a concrete plan and actions to make changes and address these issues. Two minority woman (that I know of) have died in Canada in interactions with the police since George Floyd died.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns around blackface
You're assuming a lot especially when I speaking on an individual level. If American votes in Biden, that doesn't mean I or most of us forgive everything shitty he's done. You're simply assuming that for Tredeau.

Nothing's forgivable? Who the fuck said that? I said, it's up to people to decide what they forgive. Someone apologizing doesn't mean EVERYONE forgives them or needs to.

You literally said this.

It means you haven't moved passed it, bringing up a past transgression when the person has addressed it and change from it means you haven't forgiven them.

Just move on. Not even minorities care about his blackface incident anymore. It was shown to be mostly white conservatives and a few NDP supporters. This was covered in the election thread.

Oct 25, 2017
You literally said this.

It means you haven't moved passed it, bringing up a past transgression when the person has addressed it and change from it means you haven't forgiven them.

Just move on. Not even minorities care about his blackface incident anymore. It was shown to be mostly white conservatives and a few NDP supporters. This was covered in the election thread.
Yes, I did say that and no it doesn't mean what you think it does.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

There's a difference between a meaningless apology topping a shit sundae and consistently demonstrating support for immigrants and minorities like Trudeau has done. Don't take his word that he has changed; see it in his actions.

I'm not saying "get fucked, Trudeau" or anything like that

I'm just saying that I still have my doubts about his person

Because honestly, if I was a racist in Canada, and I become president, I surelly wouldn't act like Trump

Since the amount of conservatives there in the population is nowhere near as many as in the USA, for example

That would be career suicide

He may as well be acting just like what the population wants from him, and not what he trully believes in

So that's why I think that you guys are being really gullible in thinking that just because he has done things while being president, that shows some changes in personal level

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. What's the end goal? He did this thing, he apologised, he's committed support for minorites, so what now? The Prime Minister of Canada shouldn't be at the Black Lives Matter protest cause he was being racist 19 years ago?

Cancel culture is a helluva drug.

It reminds me a lot of the James Gunn incident.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

Because honestly, if I was a racist in Canada, and I become president, I surelly wouldn't act like Trump

Since the amount of conservatives there in the population is nowhere near as many as in the USA, for example

He may as well be acting just like what the population wants from him, and not what he trully believes in
that's like categorically untrue

are you Canadian? if not then maybe stop going down this path

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada does it to itself with how they treat First Nation peeps. Whether Trudeau can enact policy change on a local level is probably beyond any PM but again you can't just pretend it's just us Americans looking for a way to deflect from what's happening in our country. These chuds and racists are everywhere and you really gotta own it. Can't pretend shit like the Highway of Tears is just some anti-Trudeau made up thing. Canada has failed these people and they continue to do so. I'm glad these protests are happening and this solidarity is spreading worldwide.
I never said any of that doesn't exist or that other countries can't give Canada shit for bad stuff. There are plenty of people that drive-by post his old brownface costume pic even when he's doing something positive, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Cancel culture is a helluva drug.

It reminds me a lot of the James Gunn incident.
No one said shit about cancel culture. I'm trying to explain to you that at an individual level, just because someone apologized for something and claims to have grown for it doesn't mean the offended party needs to forgive or in your words "let it go".

You took that as me saying no one can be forgiven or they need be permanently cancelled. When I didn't say all that.

My point is, if people are still mad about his blackface, let them be.

For me personally, like I said and over and over I don't care about Trudeau's shit.

But I have watched a lot of white people I grew up with and heard make racist jokes give that same "I'm sorry and I've grown speech" this week and I think it's a weak and easy out people lean on too much. So you repeating that exact thing verbatim telling other people to get over it with Trudeau irks me. My only point is, they don't have to.

If it was a cheap attempt at a derail fine, but I think it's fair to bring up even if I'm not mad about it personally.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So that's why I think that you guys are being really gullible in thinking that just because he has done things while being president, that shows some changes in personal level

Yes, Trudeau is a secret racist working undercover for the Conservatives.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
You got a link to this poll? I find rural Ontario is just as bad as rural Alberta so I question these kinds of statements. It could be true but I think a lot of stuff about Alberta is made up. When I lived in Edmonton I saw none of it.

www.ekospolitics.com

Initially Severe Impact of Blackface Fades, Suggesting Unsettled and Volatile Electorate

[Ottawa – September 23, 2019] The images of Justin Trudeau donning blackface makeup seemed to have had a significant but short-lived impact on the electorate. Just one in four Canadians (28 per cen…

Concerns with this episode are highest in regions and demographic segments which were already less positively disposed to Justin Trudeau. Ironically, those segments of the population which often show the least concern with issues of racial tolerance – namely Conservative and People's Party supporters – are the most agitated by this episode. Meanwhile, those who would be most affected – visible minorities – do not appear to be particularly upset (indeed, the Liberals continue to lead with this group). The backlash may very well be a product of issues around Mr. Trudeau, rather than the blackface episode itself

eD0KeEs.png

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
No one said shit about cancel culture. I'm trying to explain to you that at an individual level, just because someone apologized for something and claims to have grown for it doesn't mean the offended party needs to forgive or in your words "let it go".

You took that as me saying no one can be forgiven or they need be permanently cancelled. When I didn't say all that.

My point is, if people are still mad about his blackface, let them be.

For me personally, like I said and over and over I don't care about Trudeau's shit.

But I have watched a lot of white people I grew up with and heard make racist jokes give that same "I'm sorry and I've grown speech" this week and I think it's a weak and easy out people lean on too much. So you repeating that exact thing verbatim telling other people to get over it with Trudeau irks me.

Nevermind. Not worth it.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
that's like categorically untrue

are you Canadian? if not then maybe stop going down this path
No patronizing bulshit, please

As if, since you are canadian, you only talk about canadian politics

I've done some research, and I'm aware that the conservative representation in Canada is not small

But being a conservative/racist candidate would put more than half of the population against you

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

I don't care if Trudeau engages in the most obscene private racism as long as it doesn't extend to his public actions. I can't say I understand your particular mindset. For me, a person is their actions. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

I've done some research, and I'm aware that the conservative representation in Canada is not small

But being a conservative/racist candidate would put more than half of the population against you
okay well if you did some more research you'd realize that #1 we have a prime minister not a president and #2 that government by 35% of the electorate is a very real possibility

so maybe more research next time

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I

Dude, shut up. For real.