• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
For your other point:
Mother Theresa did a lot and she was neither rich nor the leader of a country. If people here really wanted to do better, they could. They don't.
Which is fine. It's hard to be great. It takes a lot of devotion. It sure is easier to ask it out of others than yourself.

Did you really invoke Mother Teresa as an example of a good person? Your mind might explode when you read what she was really about, or is criticising someone who inflicted mass pain on the dying another "purity test"?

It's hard to even fathom what argument you're trying to make. Why aren't you as "great" or "devoted" as her instead of complaining on the internet like you're criticising other people for doing?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Did you really invoke Mother Teresa as an example of a good person? Your mind might explode when you read what she was really about, or is criticising someone who inflicted mass pain on the dying another "purity test"?
I used her knowing someone would reply this exactly.
She still saved more people than you very likely.

All I'm saying is that it's easy to complain, but nobody even attempts to do better themselves while sounding like people should OBVIOUSLY do this and that.

Last edited:

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

All I'm saying is that it's easy to complain, but nobody even attempts to do better themselves while sounding like people should OBVIOUSLY do this and that.

And Jeff Bezos has hired more people than either you or me. Does that make him immune from criticism?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: politicians should always be told how they can improve because they are public servants and not celebrities to make fancams about.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

"You fell into my trap of me using a total fraud who inflicted suffering on more people than I could ever hope to as an example of a good person" is not the gotcha you think it is.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway this thread is a symptom of one of the weaknesses of the left. Instead of building him up, people would rather just drag him down.

There are legitimate criticisms to be had but whataboutism and crab mentality will give the right power for as long as they are more united.

100% agree here.

Canadians here, will complain about him, without realizing that in the current political climate, an NDP win is impossible. Slow progress, while not great, is much better than the backward slide we experienced for 8 years with Harper. And it would even be worse with the radicalization of the right-wing.

We have to stand the backlash of the right-wing until the demographics favour a truly left-wing policy. We're 10-20 more years.

And you realize that complaining about Canada regarding climate has nothing to do with Trudeau but Canadian voters. Trudeau's government is currently being sued by multiple provinces over it's carbon tax initiatives. He has premiers from places like Alberta calling him out constantly. Conservative party smashing at them for every single environmental regulation he tries to impose. He has to do it piece meal otherwise he loses the middle-class Canadian voter as they are easily swayed into conservatives if they feel a tax pinch. He almost lost his government in the last election and it had nothing to do with the left-wing voter as the NDP actually went backwards and that was the thing that kept Liberals still in it.

So don't blame Trudeau, blame your fellow Canadians. They have to be dragged slowly into a more environmental conscious future and economy.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Perhaps Trudeau should have done the right thing and implemented electoral reform so that the Conservatives wouldn't be as big of a risk anymore.

Instead, he decided to continue the trend of moral blackmailing progressives into voting for his party. He continues to uphold a system that allows for minority rule in this country. He can go fuck himself.
The Conservatives won the popular vote in the last election, and would have likely have also won that same election if proportional representation had been in place.

But maybe we can take this discussion to PoliEra and stay on topic here? Because that'd be great.

Apologists? So what, agreeing with him in anyway shape or form makes you an apologist? Criticizing people for bringing up election shit or pipelines or WE Charity shit in a thread completely and utterly unrelated to that is being apologist? No.

It's not about being an "apologist" and no one is making a hero of him. You can appreciate the work he has done and not be an "apologist." You can be annoyed at the discourse of this thread when he makes very valid points during his UN speech but instead of discussing that, people in this very thread ignore that and immediately bring up things completely unrelated to his speech because as Annubis said, he doesn't pass the purity test. He went ahead with the pipeline (even though he really had no choice because of past governments) so that must mean he is against climate change proposals and we can't trust him on anything and that he shouldn't even be talking about it. Oh, the WE Charity stuff? Yep, can never trust the guy. Forget the good stuff he's done or the incredible work he and the government has done to lead us through Covid because he didn't recuse himself from it. Oh, he's rightfully criticizing the Russian government for poisoning major opposition figures and engaging in election interference and the Chinese government for their human rights abuses and concentration camps. Nah, let's not talk about that because he can't be trusted because he reneged on election reform! Fuck that guy! Keep your mouth shut!

And to be clear, I'm not saying you aren't allowed to criticize Trudeau cause I agree, he has done some questionable shit and we should always be critical of our government. But I think there is a time and place for that, but a thread about his pretty valid UN speech isn't really the place for it because now this thread has turned into his domestic shit instead of his speech, aimed at the entire world. On topic however, I think his speech was great. I wish more world leaders would see things the way he does cause he's absolutely right. We've relied to long on old institutions that haven't really changed with the times and it's time the world comes together to modernize some of these things in relation to our modern emergencies such as climate change and social injustice.
Thank you.

Let's try to stick to the topic.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
The Conservatives won the popular vote in the last election, and would have likely have also won that same election if proportional representation had been in place.

To keep it on topic with this thread, I think the key point people need to understand is it's Canadians who still aren't ready to feel the economic transition pain of a green economy. I'm ready to go through that transition pain, and I think covid-19 is the best time to go through that, and I think Trudeau knows that and is trying to push it - but it's going to be hard. He may lose the government with a vote of no confidence, so he may want to stage an attempt at a majority election first, before he pushes a green agenda/economy recovery.

That's why his words <> his actions right now. If his actions matched his words, pretty sure he could lose his government in a new election. It's the fault of Canadians. We're just not that green yet.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
We have to stand the backlash of the right-wing until the demographics favour a truly left-wing policy. We're 10-20 more years.
I agree this is a reality, but the issue is that every year counts against climate change.
As Trudeau said, our current structure will kill us all.

Worst is, we need to better educate ourselves as Canadians and develop a global empathy because we're doing much better against climate changes than a lot of places; there's less of an onus to act.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still don't understand why there are no federal incentives for green energy here in Canada. It's all left to the provinces - and when Ford took over Ontario, he wiped the board of any financial help to make the transition.

Let me install solar that won't cost me $25k.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

But maybe we can take this discussion to PoliEra and stay on topic here? Because that'd be great.

Thank you.

Let's try to stick to the topic.

Thanks Morrigan, much appreciated. I created this thread to highlight the importance of the overall message in the OP, but it looks like some folks either didn't comprehend it, or instead unfortunately tried to derail.

Also, just wanted to add that I agree with both Annubis and tabris' points.

Canada is trying to encourage more unification among nations because we are all collectively accountable for the current situation, but need to make any progress, no matter the size(as no one realistically can change everything in one fell swoop), as it will hopefully build momentum and grow from there. We're not a perfect country, by any means, but we have to chip away at the system piece by piece(slow progress in tabris' words, but I like to think of it as incremental and measured) but meaningfully.

A lot of other countries are consistently and quickly backsliding by destroying whatever progress they have made. We have escaped that thus far, but that sword will always loom over us because a small but loud minority of far right people would love to use any excuse to label incremental progress as "a complete failure" since it's not a "Go large or go home" type of swing of the bat.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I still don't understand why there are no federal incentives for green energy here in Canada. It's all left to the provinces - and when Ford took over Ontario, he wiped the board of any financial help to make the transition.

Let me install solar that won't cost me $25k.

The federal government does not usually administer energy incentives. Instead, it provides provinces and territories funding to administer their own through the Low Carbon Economy Fund.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but when those provincial governments -especially the most populous- basically say "Nah, fuck it" to that funding, then we as citizens are unable to move that needle.
The citizens should vote for a provincial government that does not say "Nah, fuck it". That's what they can do.
Although I understand that, depending on the province, it may be hard.

In those cases, trying to appeal to others and show the perks of renewable energy to try and influence their vote is all that's left.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The citizens should vote for a provincial government that does not say "Nah, fuck it". That's what they can do.
Although I understand that, depending on the province, it may be hard.

In those cases, trying to appeal to others and show the perks of renewable energy to try and influence their vote is all that's left.

Hence why there should also be federal incentives :P

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
100% agree here.

Canadians here, will complain about him, without realizing that in the current political climate, an NDP win is impossible. Slow progress, while not great, is much better than the backward slide we experienced for 8 years with Harper. And it would even be worse with the radicalization of the right-wing.

And you realize that complaining about Canada regarding climate has nothing to do with Trudeau but Canadian voters. Trudeau's government is currently being sued by multiple provinces over it's carbon tax initiatives. He has premiers from places like Alberta calling him out constantly. Conservative party smashing at them for every single environmental regulation he tries to impose. He has to do it piece meal otherwise he loses the middle-class Canadian voter as they are easily swayed into conservatives if they feel a tax pinch. He almost lost his government in the last election and it had nothing to do with the left-wing voter as the NDP actually went backwards and that was the thing that kept Liberals still in it.

So don't blame Trudeau, blame your fellow Canadians. They have to be dragged slowly into a more environmental conscious future and economy.

Or Canada is actually more conservative and reactionary than people thought it was? BIPOC have been saying that Canada has been pretty fucked up for decades but it takes a couple of nutjobs with stupid tattoos and slogans to get people to finally pay attention.

This reminds me of how people were HORRIFIED that BLM would protest Pride. That was what? 5 years ago? The handwringing is ridiculous.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Apologists? So what, agreeing with him in anyway shape or form makes you an apologist? Criticizing people for bringing up election shit or pipelines or WE Charity shit in a thread completely and utterly unrelated to that is being apologist? No.

It's not about being an "apologist" and no one is making a hero of him. You can appreciate the work he has done and not be an "apologist." You can be annoyed at the discourse of this thread when he makes very valid points during his UN speech but instead of discussing that, people in this very thread ignore that and immediately bring up things completely unrelated to his speech because as Annubis said, he doesn't pass the purity test. He went ahead with the pipeline (even though he really had no choice because of past governments) so that must mean he is against climate change proposals and we can't trust him on anything and that he shouldn't even be talking about it. Oh, the WE Charity stuff? Yep, can never trust the guy. Forget the good stuff he's done or the incredible work he and the government has done to lead us through Covid because he didn't recuse himself from it. Oh, he's rightfully criticizing the Russian government for poisoning major opposition figures and engaging in election interference and the Chinese government for their human rights abuses and concentration camps. Nah, let's not talk about that because he can't be trusted because he reneged on election reform! Fuck that guy! Keep your mouth shut!

And to be clear, I'm not saying you aren't allowed to criticize Trudeau cause I agree, he has done some questionable shit and we should always be critical of our government. But I think there is a time and place for that, but a thread about his pretty valid UN speech isn't really the place for it because now this thread has turned into his domestic shit instead of his speech, aimed at the entire world. On topic however, I think his speech was great. I wish more world leaders would see things the way he does cause he's absolutely right. We've relied to long on old institutions that haven't really changed with the times and it's time the world comes together to modernize some of these things in relation to our modern emergencies such as climate change and social injustice.

Here's the thing: Trudeau's domestic record doesn't purely exist in the domestic sphere and isn't unknown to the UN and world leaders. Because despite the fact that it is publicly available, this is an address to the United Nations and world leaders, not the world population. So his domestic record correlates to how his speech will potentially be received. If Canadians are calling out inconsistencies and hypocrisies between his positions in his speech and his domestic record, you don't think his audience, who are undoubtedly kept up to speed of his record at home, won't see things in a similar light?

I agree that the speech was great, that everything he said is true, and I agree that many criticisms made in the thread aren't framed in a way that's entirely on-topic or helpful. But if his primary audience for that speech has ample reason to question his credibility, what good is a speech that can be so easily written off due to lack of credibility?

Good speech, patiently waiting for Trudeau to veer hard left.
At least now I know one of the things you'll be doing in the nursing home.

Just as an aside that I won't address further in the thread, I promise, their "popular vote" was not a majority. Under MMP, for example, it would have only resulted in 34% of seats and not enough potential allies in Parliament to form a government; based on their usual vote percentages, this would be repeated in every election of the past 15 years and every future election without a massive change to their platform. Under STV, for another example, the Conservatives would have been entirely unable to sweep the prairies like they did.

So this commentary you just provided on the subject is either due to a misunderstanding of how proportional representation actually works or it's fear-mongering nonsense. I sincerely hope it's the former.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So this commentary you just provided on the subject is either due to a misunderstanding of how proportional representation actually works or it's fear-mongering nonsense. I sincerely hope it's the former.
I would never "fear-monger". It's possible I am mistaken, but I said to take this to PoliEra for a reason. Come on.