• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Measures for individuals:

ETZlhO0WkAATd2e

Businesses:
ETZlhO0WoAYRH_4

Some basics:
  • Up to $900 every two weeks (for up to 15 weeks) of income support for:
    • Those directed to self-isolate who do not have paid sick leave
    • Family members who need to take time off to care for the sick
    • Parents who need to stay home to watch kids because of school closures
  • Income benefit for self-employed people who wouldn't qualify for EI (so basically everyone in the country now qualifies)
  • GST rebates boosted to help low-income familes ($300 for adults, $150 for children)
  • Old Age Security bumped
  • Farm Credit Canada amounts boosted for farmers
  • Student loan payments frozen for 6 months (interest-free)
  • Increased funding for the homeless, women's shelters, and Indigenous communities
  • Government will pay for 10% of small-business payroll to encourage them to retain staff
  • Pushing back tax payments to Aug 2020
  • Waiving requirement of a doctor's note to claim EI for sickness
  • Mortgages/loan payments can be deferred for up to 6 months

This is a huge package, and Trudeau said it will be extended and increased as required. His closing remark was "In Canada, public health should never hinge on financial considerations."

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
What it must be like to live in a country where your government actually gives a shit about you.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread....it's nice and all but the execution will make or break. Wake me up when there's actual details on how people get this.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
There's more that needs to be done, but this is a very important and much needed start.

I feel extremely lucky to be a Canadian citizen during all this.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that is self employed, this is some good stuff.

Or rather, this is good for everyone.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
As I said elsewhere... this package completely disregards those of us who aren't making a lot but have been conscripted as essential service workers.. there's nothing there for me... and frankly it's not nearly enough for people who are without work to boot.

Absolutely no government in Canada, or political party as stood up to say or do anything for us barely above minium wage workers putting our health (phsycial and mental on the line) to keep things going.

We've been abandoned.

I take back what I said earlier about Thank Your Grocery Worker.

Fucking get the government to pay your grocery worker.

This stimulus bill should not have been in form of "sick leave" or EI it should have been a universal basic income of about 1000 $ biweekly. None of this tops out at nonsense... all this means is that those who are most in need of money are going to get the least amount of it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Actually re-reading this also seems to leave out all workers who have no employment due to work closures Ie CIneplex workers and what not

Why the fuck isn't it just UBI, this is where you do UBI

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
As I said elsewhere... this package completely disregards those of us who aren't making a lot but have been conscripted as essential service workers.. there's nothing there for me... and frankly it's not nearly enough for people who are without work to boot.

Absolutely no government in Canada, or political party as stood up to say or do anything for us barely above minium wage workers putting our health (phsycial and mental on the line) to keep things going.

We've been abandoned.

This stimulus bill should not have been in form of "sick leave" or EI it should have been a universal basic income of about 1000 $ biweekly. None of this tops out at nonsense... all this means is that those who are most in need of money are going to get the least amount of it.

I'm hoping that after we are through the eye of the storm with COVID-19 and everything starts going back to normal that a real push for Universal Basic Income begins. Because we cannot leave people that are in your position or others in similar positions unsupported ever again.

Not to mention UBI would help with getting everything back to "normal".

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been unemployed for pretty much a year, since I graduated last year April. I've technically not been laid off so I can't normally apply for EI. But now that no one will be hiring for the foreseeable future, I'm double fucked. Anything here for people like me?

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Actually re-reading this also seems to leave out all workers who have no employment due to work closures Ie CIneplex workers and what not

Government doesn't give a shit about the working class and are too enamoured with means tested bureaucratic nightmares to do something as sensible and efficient as UBI.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I wonder what'll happen to me, I'm a part-time worker so if I don't work I don't get paid, they haven't shut down my work yet but that's a possibility.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just legit shocked that Trudeau has failed time and time again to address underpaid workers who have to break quarantine every day due to being deemed essential.

What a feeling to be so essential but not worth thinking about let alone paying.

I'm frankly barely keeping it together and there's nothing, nothing at all for me

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I've been unemployed for pretty much a year, since I graduated last year April. I've technically not been laid off so I can't normally apply for EI. But now that no one will be hiring for the foreseeable future, I'm double fucked. Anything here for people like me?
Think just the GST increase maybe? So $300 (spread over the course of the 4 quarterly payments? Wtf )

Probably fucked. And there are a lot of people who are in the same situation as you so I would be interested to see what they do for those people.

OP
OP
CitizenVectron
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just legit shocked that Trudeau has failed time and time again to address underpaid workers who have to break quarantine every day due to being deemed essential.

What a feeling to be so essential but not worth thinking about let alone paying.

I'm frankly barely keeping it together and there's nothing, nothing at all for me

I guess my question would be - what do you want? Are you asking for the government to top up your wages so you make more money during this time?

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm in the same situation and this does not seem to help :( We're fucked.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Correct, that seems to be the thrust of it. Also, if you are laid off because of COVID you will be eligible for EI regardless of the new programs.

Yeah that's what it looks like.

On the topic of UBI, it looks to me like they have been working for a couple of weeks to figure out how to work in the existing legal framework or to make quick changes to framework.

If they don't want to create a big program , they could just push out stimulus checks like those being debated in the States. $X per individual, and call it aid.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my question would be - what do you want? Are you asking for the government to top up your wages so you make more money during this time?

Ideally I want UBI as that covers it all

But yes I would like to be greater compensated during a time where just literally going to work is a hazard.

I don't have the option to stay home to try and avoid the virus, I after to work 40 hours a week for just above minimum, putting my health at risk.... for not much. So call it UBi for eveyone, or tack on a hazard pay package for people like me whatever. Damn straight I want the government to be taking better care of me when I'm being forced to put my health at risk under threat of unemployment.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
If workers are being forced to deal with the public during a pandemic especially when many themselves are vulnerabÄşe then...yes?

Why shouldn't they get paid more when the lack of protective measures puts them at a higher risk and creates more stress and workload.

UBI is a must but in the meantime they can reduce work hours from 8 hour shifts to 6, limit how many can be in the store ay a time and pay more to these people risking their health.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
"An Emergency Support Benefit delivered through CRA for workers not eligible for EI and are facing unemployment".

I'm a casual full time worker and my employer has essentially shut down due to lack of work. I'm not laid off really, they just aren't paying anyone. I assume this is for me and workers like me who don't have the hours to qualify for EI?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We've been abandoned.

I'm not Canadian but she's absolutely fucking right with these posts. this shit ain't doing nothing to help folks who are most vulnerable and the folks who are risking their bodies providing services. yall should demand more