• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
We are? I took you to mean the availability of mods is what made the AR-15 popular. If so, I don't think so. It wasn't designed to be configurable, at least not explicitly. All the mods and such came out over the years because military fetishists have a hard-on for the M-16. The mods were innovated by businesses wanting to hop on that gravy train.

American terrorists favor the AR-15 because it's cheap, readily available, and lethal. Ban it and they'll move on to something else, of course, but that combination works well for them.I don't know what you mean by "random" and I'm not a gun nut (even if I sound like one sometimes) so I'm not sure what's popular. I would guess that bolt-actions are far from extinct, but a significant number of hunters use AR-15s because they are veterans trained on the M-16 on Uncle Sam's dime, so it's easier than learning something else. There's nothing stopping anyone from using a Mosin for hunting, but it'd be a "big game" rifle (deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.). You don't want to go varmint hunting with it; there won't be much left of anything you hit.

I think I just worded mine a bit awkwardly, but I think we definitely are saying similar things.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the members of my shooting range are burning down the facebook group.
If there ever is a time where I question me belonging there, it is now.
I go there so I can make sure that I hit that Turkey once or twice a year but shooting really is the identity of some of these people.
What a clusterfuck it would be to write "I'm OK with this ban" into that group chat.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
American terrorists favor the AR-15 because it's cheap, readily available, and lethal. Ban it and they'll move on to something else, of course, but that combination works well for them.I don't know what you mean by "random" and I'm not a gun nut (even if I sound like one sometimes) so I'm not sure what's popular. I would guess that bolt-actions are far from extinct, but a significant number of hunters use AR-15s because they are veterans trained on the M-16 on Uncle Sam's dime, so it's easier than learning something else. There's nothing stopping anyone from using a Mosin for hunting, but it'd be a "big game" rifle (deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.). You don't want to go varmint hunting with it; there won't be much left of anything you hit.
My point was that if bolt-action hunting rifles (.308) are allowed, why single out the mosin?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping he'd move to include hand guns, but i see we''l have to wait for cities to work through their own measures (C'mon John Tory!).
Edit: I'm also sure some members of my family who really identify with gun ownership will be livid, and I'll just smirk the whole time. Their arguments aren't sound and they aren't constitutionally guaranteed shit.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I go there so I can make sure that I hit that Turkey once or twice a year but shooting really is the identity of some of these people.
What a clusterfuck it would be to write "I'm OK with this ban" into that group chat.

Manhood somehow became associated with guns for some people.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm all for the right of people to buy an handgun for self defense after severe scrutiny, but yeah, no resson why someone should own anything more than that

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see the leaders of the free world making common sense decisions.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a complete list somewhere? I saw it's supposed to be on the Canada Gazette but it doesn't seem to be loading (likely overwhelmed).

While there is an amnesty period, the firearms cannot be used anywhere as of today. Lametti said firearms owners may return the firearms to the manufacturer or export them as part of a sale between now and 2022.

I bet there will be a ton of cheap Canadian guns heading stateside soon. Wonder what the laws on that are?

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Man, the members of my shooting range are burning down the facebook group.
If there ever is a time where I question me belonging there, it is now.

I totally hear you. In a vacuum, I would be pro certain gun rights, because I grew up in the UK knowing sensible gun owners. There was no gun culture, just grim old country folk shooting skeet and game. But over the years, North American gun culture made me hate guns. If I saw a handgun outside a movie as a kid, I thought target shooting. If I see one as an adult, I think Purge.

I know two sensible gun owners right now - they have shotguns for hunting, and would never advocate for carrying a firearm for self-defense. All the other gun owners I know are gay-hating, bible-touching, conservative-voting dicks, who live in small rural communities, and who like putting tannerite in old cars and then filming themselves shooting it with sniper rifles. I also know one very urban guy who's just a bit mentally ill/paranoid/conspiracy-theory-believing, and so naturally has handguns.

Buying a gun here in Canada is already pretty hard. You need a licence that requires attending a class to purchase long guns for hunting, and then you need a restricted firearms license to buy handguns etc. which requires taking a separate course. Count me as also not knowing big crazy soldier action movie guns were legal here. Glad they're not anymore.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
'Canadians deserve more than thoughts and prayers.'

Oh shit, you know that was very intentional as fuck.

That's a nuke level mic drop.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally hear you. In a vacuum, I would be pro certain gun rights, because I grew up in the UK knowing sensible gun owners. There was no gun culture, just grim old country folk shooting skeet and game. But over the years, North American gun culture made me hate guns. If I saw a handgun outside a movie as a kid, I thought target shooting. If I see one as an adult, I think Purge.

I know two sensible gun owners right now - they have shotguns for hunting, and would never advocate for carrying a firearm for self-defense. All the other gun owners I know are gay-hating, bible-touching, conservative-voting dicks, who live in small rural communities, and who like putting tannerite in old cars and then filming themselves shooting it with sniper rifles. I also know one very urban guy who's just a bit mentally ill/paranoid/conspiracy-theory-believing, and so naturally has handguns.

Buying a gun here in Canada is already pretty hard. You need a licence that requires attending a class to purchase long guns for hunting, and then you need a restricted firearms license to buy handguns etc. which requires taking a separate course. Count me as also not knowing big crazy soldier action movie guns were legal here. Glad they're not anymore.

Well put!
I'm originally from Germany and owning guns is very similar there (or felt similar).
Talked to a german hunter and the amount of money and work it takes to get that license is crazy. They also HAVE to shoot silenced. Because a silencer is just a tool to make their work less annoying. And not a crazy safety thread like it would be in the US.
That connection of owning guns = freedom (love for the country, Jesus) is one of the shittiest things. Those people won't shut up about the "pussyfication" of the world while also clinging to their military guns in terror. The silliest thing of a "prepper" mentality. The fact that they want to build a bunker instead of helping make the village work better.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm going to quote someone's comment on Reddit about this because I'm lazy and I don't want to reword the same argument over and over.

If we're just posting reddit comments... here's another..

Main issue here, this is an Order in Council, not democratic at all, no debate, no questions, nothing. It's wrong in general to push through something this big and this expensive to the tax payers of Canada and improperly trying to use the terrible tragedy in NS as a reason to push it. I realize they planned this a while ago but they clearly are using the tragedy since it came up in the announcement as a reason.

The government may as well banned a round shaped water-bottle vs. square shaped ones though. That's about the effect this will have in stopping violent crime use of firearms (mostly 80-99% sourced from illicit USA border crossings and they're handguns too).

I said elsewhere today; they went after a select group of specific sporting rifles and some hunting rifles (AR-15, M14, Min-14) purely because of there look instead of actually, you know, expansing resources to fight illicit gun markets, straw purchases and curb cross border illegal sales.

I get people "thinking" this may help and while I as a PAL/RPAL holder am not entirely effected by this ban it's a goal post move and a wrong one. It won't save a single life and it's a waste of money.

So now, this will cost hundreds of millions; which is a sever under-estimate - there are more than 6,000 M14 and variants out there alone, guaranteed, not counting the sever underestimate on the other firearms on this list. It may cost billions to tax payers in the end.

What will happen is worsen our already heavy strain on underfunded police forces to do what exactly, stop the people who are background checked 24/7 and as a make up of the Canadian population the statistically safety group in Canada and least likely to be involved in a violent crime.

It's a feel good measure only, no more and a further strain on already strained resources our police could be using elsewhere; previously mentioned expanding resources to fight illicit gun markets, straw purchases and curb cross border illegal sales, thats where a difference would be made.

Wasteful government spending pure and simple.

or

This is the exact opposite of an evidence based policy that the Liberals drone on about.
This is such obvious pandering to hardcore Liberals in Toronto and Montreal who know nothing about firearms except that they know they don't like them.
This is red meat for the Toronto Star editorial board and the CBC to justify months of fawning opinion coverage about keeping Canadians safe.
If you actually want to keep Canadians safe go after illegal guns like the ones the N.S. shooter used. Or the illegal guns used by gangs in Toronto.
But of course we can't do that because that would mean amending the Libs open border stance which might get them a rap on the knuckles from the CBC or Liberal donors.
But who cares about actually fixing the problem, let's just do some pandering instead.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know you've lost as a platform when the communication just switches to quoting reddit posts.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If we're just posting reddit comments... here's another..

That's fair. I haven't looked at the details of this law at all, nor do I have the background knowledge to speak intelligently about this either.

But that's not the argument I was responding to. I was responding to "Making things illegal is pointless because criminals don't stop doing illegal things just because it's against the law", which is a ridiculous argument that pops up all the time in gun control debates.

The argument in the posts you quoted is "Gun control is good, but the specific implementation of this new law has issues". That's different.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, my reddit points are going into the basement because I wrote that I'm OK with the ban.
Angry right wing dudes that don't understand why no one has their back.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Trudeau.

Canada's lesser known version of the NRA is just as shitty as the US version.

These asshats should just disappear.

Didn't the cold blooded killer tpyically also choose to use hihgh powered rifles with rapid firing mechanisms and large capacity magazines tho? Like, a choice, kind of a deal? And therefore went to retail with those choices available? So wouldn't sensible legislation impact the choices cold blooded killers make?

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Trudeau.

Canada's lesser known version of the NRA is just as shitty as the US version.

These asshats should just disappear.

I'm so god damn tired of this argument, it is so incredibly stupid.

Alcohol control seems to work well, so does tobacco control, as does drivers license control, and on and on.

We restrict all kinds of things and guess what, that shit works. These are also the people that would support abortion control.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news, for sure. Though when they say "fair compensation" I am imagining Gamestop-tier trade-in values. 😂

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the cold blooded killer tpyically also choose to use hihgh powered rifles with rapid firing mechanisms and large capacity magazines tho? Like, a choice, kind of a deal? And therefore went to retail with those choices available? So wouldn't sensible legislation impact the choices cold blooded killers make?
I'm in no way defending these right wing assholes and I completely agree with the bans, I would even go so far as banning every single firearm, period.

However, I think the gun used in the Nova Scotia incident was bought illegally anyway, and most incidents that have occurred in Canada were with stolen/smuggled weapons from the US.

But obviously this new law imposes further limits, which is still a good thing, and a net positive.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in no way defending these right wing assholes and I completely agree with the bans, I would even go so far as banning every single firearm, period.

However, I think the gun used in the Nova Scotia incident was bought illegally anyway, and most incidents that have occurred in Canada were with stolen/smuggled weapons from the US.

But obviously this new law imposes further limits, which is still a good thing, and a net positive.

TBH I wasn't really talking about that specific incident or even Canada. Just the idea that Z"choices kill people" somehow being disconnected with the types of choices they have.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing about that is that it's effective immediately and not like US law that often gives people a window to stock up on shit before it becomes illegal.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TBH I wasn't really talking about that specific incident or even Canada. Just the idea that Z"choices kill people" somehow being disconnected with the types of choices they have.
Oh yea, no argument there!
Refuting that availability has no effect is the stupidest thing.
But "moneis".

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about that is that it's effective immediately and not like US law that often gives people a window to stock up on shit before it becomes illegal.

Yeah, became illegal from the moment of announcement. I imagine those rushing to buy don't realize this until it's too late.

Justin Trudeau says effective immediately, it is no longer permitted to buy, sell, transport, import or use military-grade assault weapons in Canada. To protect law-abiding gun owners, there will be a 2-year amnesty period and the government will legislate 'fair compensation.'

May 21, 2018
Someone was asking about a specific gun being banned. Here are the categories.

"Muzzle energy greater than 10,000 joules (sniper rifles)"

Won't that cover a lot of hunting rifles? A sniper rifle is essentially just a hunting rifle with perhaps different aesthetics.

Trying to ban specific models is useless.

They should go broad but simple and just ban semi-automatic fire, ban high-capacity magazines, ban all muzzle devices except muzzle brakes, and ban handguns. Just straightforward, instead of trying to ban specific models and features which gun owners and industry will find loopholes around.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Muzzle energy greater than 10,000 joules (sniper rifles)"

Won't that cover a lot of hunting rifles? A sniper rifle is essentially just a hunting rifle with perhaps different aesthetics.

Trying to ban specific models is useless.

They should go broad but simple and just ban semi-automatic long guns, ban high-capacity magazines, ban all muzzle devices except muzzle brakes, and ban handguns. Just straightforward, instead of trying to ban specific models and features which gun owners and industry will find loopholes around.

US doesn't even need to do this to reduce deaths.

Accidents and suicides can happen with any gun and account for carnage on an incredible scale - both would be massively impacted by mandatory gun locks and elimination of gun show loophole and addition of cool down periods in states that don't have them.

A bigger issue is something we saw in 911 - the inadequate matrix of shared information.

Guess how many Police Departments there are in the US?

Did you guess 500?

A thousand?

Two thousand?

You definitely got it wrong, because the actual answer is:

We don't know.

The US cannot actually count how many Police Departments there are - there's no official count, no national registry and so the idea of those same departments sharing info about felons, angry boyfriends etc, is currently comical.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
newly-banned-firearms-in-canada.jpg

no citizen should ever be allowed to buy weapons such as these

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Oof, sold my AR15 just in time lmao. While it's great that they're doing this, it's still a pretty half assed go at it, and shows that the liberals still don't quite grasp what they need to do, but they're getting there.
There's still A LOT of legal semi auto rifles that are just as lethal as the ones they're banning. They did the same thing with the last big gun ban, they arbitrarily banned a random mish mash of guns and left a bunch of legal analogues to those guns. Like they banned the AK pattern rifles but left the vz58 (until now) which is different in design but functionally the same, that being a semi auto magazine fed rifle.
They need to ban ALL semi auto rifles. Guns aren't like they are in video games where some are "more powerful" than others, they're all equally deadly. There's a lot of semi autos still legal after this that fire the same round as the AR.

Doubt it. From the article:

There are 105,000 firearms currently classified as "restricted" that will now be classified as "prohibited."
That has nothing to do with people smuggling guns in. Criminals aren't going to be like "well damn I guess we can't smuggle anymore because those guns are illegal now." That's just not how it works. Something like 80% of crime guns in Toronto come from the US. The fact that our government still refuses to do anything about arms trafficking really bothers me.

Last edited:

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oof, sold my AR15 just in time lmao. While it's great that they're doing this, it's still a pretty half assed go at it, and shows that the liberals still don't quite grasp what they need to do, but they're getting there.
There's still A LOT of legal semi auto rifles that are just as lethal as the ones they're banning. They did the same thing with the last big gun ban, they arbitrarily banned a random mish mash of guns and left a bunch of legal analogues to those guns. Like they banned the AK pattern rifles but left the vz58 (until now) which is different in design but functionally the same, that being a semi auto magazine fed rifle.
They need to ban ALL semi auto rifles. Guns aren't like they are in video games where some are "more powerful" than others, they're all equally deadly. There's a lot of semi autos still legal after this that fire the same round as the AR.

That has nothing to do with people smuggling guns in. Criminals aren't going to be like "well damn I guess we can't smuggle anymore because those guns are illegal now." That's just not how it works. Something like 80% of crime guns in Toronto come from the US.

I get what you are saying and I don't disagree. I was making a different point that there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for those weapons in general for Canada.

That's a shockingly low number compared to the states and definitely indicative of that societies relationship with firearms.

Did these spree shooters the article mentioned have stolen guns? Or were they legal?

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I get what you are saying and I don't disagree. I was making a different point that there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for those weapons in general for Canada.

That's a shockingly low number compared to the states and definitely indicative of that societies relationship with firearms.

Did these spree shooters the article mentioned have stolen guns? Or were they legal?
The recent one the shooter didn't have a license and ilegally acquired his guns, the shooter in 2017 iirc who killed those kids had a pistol smuggled from the states. Most shootings here have been with illegally acquired guns. I think the Moncton one was licensed but I can't quite remember. But it's known at this point that weapon smuggling is a thing, usually guns brought over to arm gangs and the like. The punishment for it is pitiful too, a person got caught snuggling a bunch of handguns a few years ago and only got 4 years which seems like a slap on the wrist considering they could have been arming a mass murderer.

i just realized the SKS isn't banned?
Yup. And this is what I mean by the libs half assing this. They banned a bunch of expensive typically $1000+ semi auto rifles, but don't think to ban the $300 semi auto rifle that fires the powerful 7.62x39 round, like what?