• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is unrepentant about Canada accessing enough COVID-19 vaccine doses to immunize the entire population a few times over, but says the government will "absolutely" look to share.

"As Canada gets vaccinated, if we have more vaccines than necessary, absolutely we will be sharing with the world," said Trudeau in an interview with CTV's Question Period host Evan Solomon.

Canada has signed contracts guaranteeing access to 214 million doses of potential COVID-19 vaccines with the option to purchase 200 million more, meaning if all trials pan out, we'd have access to 414 million doses. That's enough to fully vaccinate every person in this country more than a few times over.

The government has been criticized by groups like Amnesty International for stockpiling so many shots, but until now hasn't been clear on what it would do should several vaccine producers pan out and Canada has access to millions more doses than needed.

Last week, Oxfam Canada issued a report saying that Canada was at the top of the list of wealthy countries that have pre-purchased COVID-19 vaccines, and implored Canada to do its part in ensuring all countries can access vaccines.

The organization warned that nine out of 10 people in poor countries will not be able to be vaccinated in 2021 and that "nearly 70 poor countries will only be able to vaccinate one in ten people against COVID-19 next year unless urgent action is taken by governments and the pharmaceutical industry to make sure enough doses are produced."

Nicholas Lusiani, a senior advisor at Oxfam America, said inequitable rollout of the vaccine poses serious problems.

"This is not just an issue or moral concern but really an issue of economic concern. The global economy is not going to work if only islands of rich countries are vaccinated," Lusiani told CTVNews.ca.

Asked to respond to criticisms of vaccine nationalism, Trudeau said he was unrepentant about ordering so many doses.

"My job is to look out for Canadians, and I will not apologize for doing a good job in establishing the right plan to vaccinate the largest number of Canadians as quickly as possible. That's my job," Trudeau said.

He pointed to Canada's involvement in COVAX, a global program that is working towards an equitable distribution of vaccines worldwide.

"Investments early on in vaccine developers helped them move quicker and better, so countries stepping up with millions of dollars to encourage a range of companies to develop these vaccines, is going to leave everyone better," Trudeau said.

"Because we don't get through this pandemic anywhere without getting through it everywhere."

"My job is to look out for Canadians, and I will not apologize for doing a good job in establishing the right plan to vaccinate the largest number of Canadians as quickly as possible. That's my job," Trudeau said.

www.ctvnews.ca

If Canada has excess COVID-19 vaccines they 'absolutely' will be shared: PM

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is unrepentant about Canada accessing enough COVID-19 vaccine doses to immunize the entire population a few times over, but says the government will 'absolutely' look to share.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I still thought that thread from a little while back where that one user was calling Canada a villain for planning this properly by hedging bets, and procuring multiple doses of different manufacturer vaccines(during a time when there was no clear candidate) was a crazy hot take.

And the assuming Canada wouldn't do the Canada like thing, and end up just sharing with those other lower income countries who needed it as well. Like we were some nefarious corrupt Trump-like country or something.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
And the assuming Canada wouldn't do the Canada like thing, and end up just sharing with those other lower income countries who needed it as well. Like we were some nefarious corrupt Trump-like country or something.

When you are used to live under a Comic-Book Grade Villain for years, your reality gets warped to what the highest officials do when faced to a moral decision. And it's also easy to think that since we live so close, we act the same by proxy.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's free brownie points on international stage, why wouldn't we share.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I still thought that thread from a little while back where that one user was calling Canada a villain for planning this properly by hedging bets, and procuring multiple doses of different manufacturer vaccines(during a time when there was no clear candidate) was a crazy hot take.
That's a hot take that would make weekend era seem normal. We were never going to give every Canadian half a dozen vaccines. Anyone not whipped into a panic or rage by social media could safely assume extra doses would be shared.

Regardless, it's good to see Trudeau provide some clarity on the matter.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
This is moot we don't have extras. Health in our province hasn't even started making a list of people with comorbities who need the vaccine.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
I mean it's free brownie points on international stage, why wouldn't we share.
It ain't free. We paid for those vaccines with our tax money.

Btw I just want to emphasize that I absolutely agree we should share those vaccines with poorer countries, just wanted to clarify that its not free.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't free. We paid for those vaccines with our tax money.

Btw I just want to emphasize that I absolutely agree we should share those vaccines with poorer countries, just wanted to clarify that its not free.
It's free as in we are already locked in these deals and have to spend the money, might as well use them to improve relationship with other countries. Or we can let it all rot, either way we have a pay the money. Sharing and helping others ain't going to cost us more than just seating on them and letting it all rot.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure extra vaccines will get distributed, but I'm very peeved that so many vaccines are being hoarded by wealthy nations and to only go to poorer nations when they have little use for the vaccines anymore.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, can we get some more in the US as well ? Cause the first batches ain't going to anyone but the wealthy and politicians.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure extra vaccines will get distributed, but I'm very peeved that so many vaccines are being hoarded by wealthy nations and to only go to poorer nations when they have little use for the vaccines anymore.
It's not hoarding. Canada made these deals before any of these vaccines passed their trials. All might have been viable or none might have been viable. We planned ahead, hedged our bets, and it's paying off. That's it. And Canada (or any other nation) has the responsibility of protecting their own citizens first.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It's not.

It's a statement in Canada because the Conservatives are accusing Trudeau of overbuying and hording the vaccines in Canada instead of sharing them.

This isn't worldwide level statements, this is CTV news, it's a statement for Canada.

Conservatives are saying this? The fuckers who despise the poorer parts of the world? That's rich coming from that lot.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives are saying this? The fuckers who despise the poorer parts of the world? That's rick coming from that lot.
Let's be honest, if conservatives were in power right now we'd be about as bad as the Trump administration is right now handling vaccines.

Bonus points for Liberals/others opposition for not ordering vaccines or something for them.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Conservatives are saying this? The fuckers who despise the poorer parts of the world? That's rich coming from that lot.
The conservatives also said like a few weeks ago that Trudeau didn't order enough vaccines, and the we wouldn't have any vaccines until spring before that.

They're just doing what the Conservatives do all the time.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's a statement in Canada because the Conservatives are accusing Trudeau of overbuying and hording the vaccines in Canada instead of sharing them.

Do you have a source for this? I have seen the Conservatives criticize the CanSino Biologics deal(which is dumb because no one knew that would fall apart.) but it has actually been some global health experts that have been accusing Canada of snapping up vaccines at the expense of poorer nations namely an article in "the conversation." All of these criticisms are preposterous of course.

Overall I can't seem to find a prevailing narrative that Trudeau is being accused of hording anything.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017

After those motherfuckers initially said we didn't procure enough and won't have the ability to properly provide vaccines to our 38M population.... and instead would spend millions on making sure other countries had enough before Canadians did.

This response by Trudeau is basically one giant "But not both? But also go fuck yourselves" wrapped in a polite yet logical statement.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
After those motherfuckers initially said we didn't procure enough and won't have the ability to properly provide vaccines to our 38M population.... and instead would spend millions on making sure other countries had enough before Canadians did.

This response by Trudeau is basically one giant "But not both? But also go fuck yourselves" wrapped in a polite yet logical statement.

First we didn't buy enough, then we will be getting it too late and now we're hoarding.
They're such a joke.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Equating "no politician has admitted to be doing X" with "no politician would ever do X" is, well... pretty naive to say the least.
There's zero reason to think that this would be the case. Any country buying extra doses at the moment also has a generous foreign aid budget, using extra doses for that looks good and is very convenient. There's no need for any speculative conspiracy theories.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean only the Pfizer vaccine is actually approved now in Canada. Moderna is also well on its way so hopefully it'll be approved very soon for distribution. The rest of the vaccines are not really relevant yet until they are approved by our health authorities. They could all fail and not work for all we know and it wouldn't be helpful to our population. So ultimately the vaccines we truly do have are more tied to the approved vaccines we signed a contract to buy. So far with just Pfizer and Moderna, that amount isn't enough for our own population. If every vaccine we signed to buy are approved, then yes we will have extra dosage that should be shared with other countries.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
It's not hoarding. Canada made these deals before any of these vaccines passed their trials. All might have been viable or none might have been viable. We planned ahead, hedged our bets, and it's paying off. That's it. And Canada (or any other nation) has the responsibility of protecting their own citizens first.

Yes I know they did not intend on buying more than they need.

However, do you think they pass out the extra before or after they have enough to get everyone vaccinated? Because poorer nations certainly have not had the opportunity to buy as many vaccines for their population with deals like this.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There's zero reason to think that this would be the case. Any country buying extra doses at the moment also has a generous foreign aid budget, using extra doses for that looks good and is very convenient. There's no need for any speculative conspiracy theories.

Because Trump is the kind of person that cares so much about looking like a selfless, generous person, as opposed to the tough leader that no other countries can take advantage of. You know perfectly well that he'd spin it as those evil foreign countries trying to get hard-earned American vaccines for free. If you really think this is a "conspiracy theory", I can only imagine you've been under a rock for the past 4 years.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because Trump is the kind of person that cares so much about looking like a selfless, generous person, as opposed to the tough leader that no other countries can take advantage of. You know perfectly well that he'd spin it as those evil foreign countries trying to get hard-earned American vaccines for free. If you really think this is a "conspiracy theory", I can only imagine you've been under a rock for the past 4 years.
Stop making this about Trump and giving him headspace.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First we didn't buy enough, then we will be getting it too late and now we're hoarding.
They're such a joke.
pzOu7Gm.jpg

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Protecting other countries after your own country still protects your own country by reducing worldwide spread.
It's pretty much win-win-win.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

This is shameless even when considering that political opposition culture in this country is based on contrarianism