• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Thought it was shockingly low at first but played is why, TLoU 1 probably has 30-40+ million total players.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I call bullshit on that one.

There's no way 80% of players of a very story-driven game haven't played the previous entry they need to play to understand the story.

Easy, they watch their favorite youtubers and streamers play through the game.

Plus it's not like it's a 60 hours game so it's not hard to catch up.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I think this is the projected lifetime conversion rate. Like, they have models that will predict how the game's gonna sell over the coming weeks and months. (and those sales will likely mostly be even more people who haven't played the first game. etc.

I really don't think so. That'd be the "retention rate" i think. How many previous customers "stuck with your product".

Because that would be somewhat bad that you can only make 15% of those who played your previous game also play the sequel. I think he simply misuses "conversion rate" in this regard.

If we just stop focusing on the term, but rather the numbers and the phenomenon he's describing:
Around 80-85% of the audience of TLOU2 is new to the series, only 15% will have played the original game. - That's a phenomenon that can be observed for quite many games. Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, God of War.
(as an anecdote - for all of these, i myself never played the previous games)

And that's something he can be amazed by and happy about.

Having only a 10-15% retention rate - i.e. an 80-85% audience drop-off wouldn't be something he'd be celebrating.
Hm, good reasoning, but I don't think the comparison with Witcher 3 holds up as the previous games are not available on the same platform.

TLOU though has a total player count on PS4 of 30m (via gamstat).
That would mean that ~25% of all PS4 owners have played TLoU!
Assuming those people only make up 15-20% of TLOU2s audience would mean that people who have never played TLoU are more likely to purchase TLOU2 than people who played Part I.
That seems ridiculous.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
On topic, Alanah Pearce made an interesting point right after:
Almost 54% completion rate is like crazy surprising considering the length and the people complaining about being too long, but again, a part of that might be that's just because it's a game that we're playing very quickly, so it feels longer than otherwise".
Dedicating thirty hours non-stop to anything, in a matter of days, borders on addiction. It's also an easy way to ruin the experience for you, doesn't matter how long you've been expecting it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, good reasoning, but I don't think the comparison with Witcher 3 holds up as the previous games are not available on the same platform.

TLOU though has a total player count on PS4 of 30m (via gamstat).
That would mean that ~25% of all PS4 owners have played TLoU!
Assuming those people only make up 15-20% of TLOU2s audience would mean that people who have never played TLoU are more likely to purchase TLOU2 than people who played Part I.
That seems ridiculous.
Yeah, the more i think about it, the less any of this makes sense.

Troy made 2 statements that conflict with one another - i assumed his description of "conversion" rate was the issue, because of the "80% of people playing TLOU2 are new to the series" statement, which sounds somewhat plausible.

But when you crunch the numbers like that (TLOU1's huge install base), that doesn't seem like it'd work out.

What i'm saying is: This thread is confusing, and i think Mr. Baker's just as confused as we are 😉

Yeah, but you imagine majority lf people who like the first game, will buy the 2nd game, right? So only 15% who buy 1st game will buy part 2 sounds crazy
Well, 7 years are quite a long time, and most of that drop-off might not be due to people giving up on the series per se, but rather giving up on gaming (or story heavy single player games) altogether. Like, if you were in college when TLOU1 was big, you might have a family and kids now, and you can't really make the time to play a 20 hour game that requires prolonged sessions of full attention to really get you immersed.

My brother in law, nowadays, only plays 2 games anymore - the most recent NBA game and the most recent FIFA. That's it.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Makes sense to me. The first game is 7 years old on a different console (with a 6 year old remaster on PS4). Many of the people who bought it back then won't even play games anymore, or would own a PS4 now.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Why is this surprising? Go look at your trophy list or achievements and game library. For each title you own, did you play the previous game in the series? And the sequel?

Do you really buy the previous title or sequel to every game you play? I'm going to bet you do! For MAYBE 25% of your games. And you're likely a core gamer, as you're here. The platform-wide average HAS to be lower. I've hated 3 of the last 5 games I played. HATED. Guess who isn't buying the sequels?

I'm one of them. I bought the first one and have no plans to buy the second. I have a PS3, but not a PS4. But even when I get my PS5 I won't buy it. Didn't like the first, hate stealth, hate realistic violence. Can't play everything. /shrug Listened to all the spoiler casts and reviews though. Fascinating game. Sounds amazingly crafted. Great inteviews with Neil and the cast and all. Zero desire to play it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Do they consider people who might have watched a playthough all the way back in the PS3 era? I could see them actually jumping on the sequel without having played the first one.

On topic, Alanah Pearce made an interesting point right after:
Dedicating thirty hours non-stop to anything, in a matter of days, borders on addiction. It's also an easy way to ruin the experience for you, doesn't matter how long you've been expecting it.
Could also be people trying to go through the game asap to avoid spoilers or join in on the current conversation (or hate) about the game. Its a hot topic and everyone wants in on it one way or the other.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Yeah, the more i think about it, the less any of this makes sense.

Troy made 2 statements that conflict with one another - i assumed his description of "conversion" rate was the issue, because of the "80% of people playing TLOU2 are new to the series" statement, which sounds somewhat plausible.

But when you crunch the numbers like that (TLOU1's huge install base), that doesn't seem like it'd work out.

What i'm saying is: This thread is confusing, and i think Mr. Baker's just as confused as we are 😉
Agreed :D

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How are they tracking that? TloU is a 7 year old PS3 game. People change accounts, consoles, profiles, move, switch ISPs etc in the meantime. Sounds almost impossible.

I think you underestimate how much data companies like Sony have on their audience. All you'd need is a person's account details to know this, and I doubt that many people completely abandon their old accounts for new ones.

Tracking this would be incredibly easy where I work and I assume it would be the same for PlayStation.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Could also be people trying to go through the game asap to avoid spoilers or join in on the current conversation (or hate) about the game.
In part, it might be, yes. Though you still need the will and time to pull it off. I know I couldn't do it, but as always, everybody is free to choose differently.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Thats.... crazy. I don't see how this is seen as high at all. It's probably going to be over 100% when it's all said and done.

Is this really common? Like if we apply this to Nintendo and BotW, Nintendo would see 3m sales as "very high" for BotW2. I would think that is an absolute flop to be honest. I know sony and Nintendo are different, but not THAT different
You are reading it wrong. It means out of say 10mil tlou2 players only 2mil have played tlou1. So to apply on botw. If botw2 players are at 10mil then maybe 2mil of those have played botw.

Dec 4, 2019
Unbox Therapy has 17+ youtube subscribers. Doesnt really play games. Plans on playing this game. Seems every unlikely to play the first game.

The most common, according to the research, is The Time Filler, with 27%. This persona plays games to pass the time, when they have time, and rarely touch PC games. Ironically, the least represented is The Conventional Player (9%). These gamers own "tons" of gaming hardware and would rather spend time playing games than watching other people play.
God of War probably the first of the series most buyers played.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sounds incredibly unlikely. I'd go as far as to say that at least half the people who played the first one will get the second.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That doesn't make any sense at all, it's a story driven game from a beloved masterpiece, I'm sure more people that are playing TLoU2 have already played the first one.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
We are still talking substantial numbers here, didn't TLOU have 13 million units sold.

There are plenty of games that can't sell 2-3 million anyway and that alone is what Sony planned on moving across

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
What a confusing metric and name if it really means TLOU2 players that have played TLOU.

Edit: And really surprising if it means what you'd think it means.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. The majority of kh3 players are probably new players as well

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I think 'conversion rate' is a bit of a blunt instrument to determine how people will engage with your sequel's narrative and characters. The current media landscape is so over-saturated with information and commentary that even if you have not played a previous game, you'll likely get brought up to speed quickly by the discourse, YouTube summaries, articles on gaming sites etc.

And if you veer away from the prequel and world building to on-board newcomers, your original fanbase will make so much noise it'll affect the experience and behaviour of the new audience too.

I hope developers aren't looking at these numbers and thinking that every game should be like Mass Effect 3, which was touted as 'a perfect entrypoint for new players' because they were scared of people not wanting to play a sequel to games they hadn't played.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
We are still talking substantial numbers here, didn't TLOU have 13 million units sold.
Combined (PS3+PS4) it's close to 20M.

3537309-img_4118.jpg

Or even higher now, TLOU Remastered is still selling:

UK June
iNcMCeF.png

Japan last week (and this is 2nd edition - aka Greatest Hits)
Cc7tfQN.png

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Example my daughter was too young to play TLOU1 but now that she is 17 wants to play TLOU2 while having never played the first game. But she knows the story of the first better than me due to watching a play through on YouTube recently.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
"Conversion rate," going by its application in other circumstances, would refer to what percentage of people decided to buy the game after being exposed to it. (ie; watching a trailer or reading about it, or opening its page on the PSN store)

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Roughly 40% of players even beat tlou so it's safe to assume that alot of people will be going into TLOU2 atleast somewhat blind.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I guess this is easy to track based on trophies alone. 80% new players shows the power of word of mouth then. Lifetime sales should be big

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Think about how many people whose first Resident Evil game was RE4.

Even this generation, we've seen huge games that are sequels to story-driven games that have huge first-timer playerbases. The Witcher 3, God of War 2018, Kingdom Hearts 3, Dark Souls 3. I think Ratchet & Clank on the PS5 will be another game like that.

A good, but weird, way of thinking about it is just basic probability. Let's say 20 million people in the world bought The Last of Us Part 1. Meanwhile, 100 million people own PS4s. Which group of people are you more likely to sell copies to? By the sheer difference in population, you are far more likely to sell the game to one of the 100 million PS4 owners than you are the 20 million players of the first game. You will sell to both, obviously, but your biggest audience is the uninitiated.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
"Conversion rate," going by its application in other circumstances, would refer to what percentage of people decided to buy the game after being exposed to it. (ie; watching a trailer or reading about it, or opening its page on the PSN store)
Yeah that's the standard usage. I'm not familiar with console biz terminology so I can't tell if Troy is even using it correctly here. But side note, this also reeks of proprietary information and is a good reminder of why you should never spill the beans to talent. Seems like they can't keep their mouths shut.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why you don't get sequels to games that aren't massive hits first time out. 80% of the players have stopped playing games by the time you make a sequel so you have to sell it to a whole new audience.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think this projection is based on PS3 sales of the original, not the PS4 remaster. And thus it makes sense IMO. I'll parrot/paraphrase something I heard on the GameIndustry.biz podcast this week; the industry assumes we're still in high school in terms of our free time and disposable money.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that a lot of people who played games then no longer do or just don't nearly as much as they used to.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you underestimate how much data companies like Sony have on their audience. All you'd need is a person's account details to know this, and I doubt that many people completely abandon their old accounts for new ones.

Tracking this would be incredibly easy where I work and I assume it would be the same for PlayStation.
This ^

Sony has logged in data from accounts
With the PS4 they have the data of each user IP, Location
They will have users data from their mobile via device id , with the APP data and the cookie data
They also might be working with 3rd Party DMP

to conclude these numbers

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If true, then I guess sony expects the game to sell a ton, which is something a lot of us expect as well. The 15-20% figure is still very surprising.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't finish games, I didn't finish TLoU and won't be picking up 2. Getting players to finish your games is hard enough, let alone finish it and be interested in a sequel. Their completion rate on Remasteted was astounding at 50% but that's basically half your user base already not super interested in returning to a sequel.

It's not all that surprising to think the majority of players are a new wave of players when the original launched on a different console 7 years ago and the core age group is an entirely new wave of consumers.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I mean every year you have a bunch of people new to gaming and others that have stopped gaming. So this whole conversion rate for games in general being so low is not surprising.

Like BotW must have a huge number of people that have yet to play a single other Zelda game. Same with GTAV.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
While interesting....this seems like something Troy shouldn't be talking about or even know to be honest. But yeah it makes sense, didn't Sony themselves say earlier in the gen that a lot of PS4 owners hadn't been PS3 owners? That lines up.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
This just shows once again the massive bubble Resetera (and other people who consider themselves gamers) is in. I remember a discussion a couple of weeks ago where I was called crazy for saying people buying both versions of a Pokémon release are a small subsection of a subsection of the average playerbase.

The average, and I mean the real average, person who buys videogames only buys a few games a year and hardly ever finishes them. They are the hundreds of thousands of people who are still keeping GTA 5 in the monthly best seller charts and the millions that are on the other side of that "3% of people got the trophy/achievement for finishing the game". They don't keep up with gaming news, they maybe sometimes read a review and may have seen a stream of the most popular streamers out there. They don't care about resolution or frames per second. They don't double dip or care which virtual store a game is sold in. They probably got a console when it was on sale with 2 or 3 games and then forgot about it and chances are high those games are madden, fifa, call of duty, gta or a Nintendo franchise.

They probably care about playing the last us before starting part 2 as much as you do watching Mamma Mia before Mamma Mia 2.

I think its good to keep these things in the back of our minds when discussing videogames and the videogame industry if you care about understanding why video game companies do the things they do because too often things here are being discussed while looking at it through this lens that is not shared by the grand majority of the audience or the companies that make games.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading once that at Amazon UK they had a bunch of boxes sitting around with shipping labels, all ready to go. When asked what they were it was explained that it was FIFA boxes packed up ready for people who'd bought previous FIFAs as it was very likely they would buy it again every year and so would save time when they bought again.
That doesn't make sense. They would have to find the box with the surname of the buyer in thousands of boxes instead of just printing a new shipping label and put it on a unlabeled box.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Well that debunks the theory that HZD is only getting released on PC to hook people into buying a PS5 for Horizon 2.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This isn't surprising at all. Also, "conversion rate" is a correct term that can be used here, as Sony wants to convert Last of Us Part 1 owners into Last of Us Part 2 owners.

Don't forget - If Sony expects the game to sell 10+ million, expecting 1.5-2 million of that to have played the first is perfectly in line with thinking. If the game is cross-gen and goes to 20+ million like its predecessor, that number climbs higher as well.

This is a good example of why most modern sequels recap events of the previous games, quite a bit of their player base never played the previous game. It's also a good example of why remakes and remasters remain popular - If you are making the next game in the franchise, or even thinking about it, getting a remaster/remake of the first game out there makes total sense since you can track how the market and your playerbase demographics have changed since the initial release.

This also ties into why the MCU has been so successful - Yes, it is a whole bunch of stories strung together, but the way in which Marvel chooses to tell the story means that anyone could jump on with any movie and the plot will do a mostly decent job of how the characters got to the beginning of the movie and where the characters will be going by the end of it.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Combined (PS3+PS4) it's close to 20M.

3537309-img_4118.jpg

Or even higher now, TLOU Remastered is still selling:

Troy's numbers seem a bit low but this graph tells the core point perfectly. Approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of God of War 3's audience hadn't played God of War 2. And the same happened with GoW 2018. And with UC4.

A huge portion of the player base is coming in not having played the previous game.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Troy's numbers seem a bit low but this graph tells the core point perfectly. Approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of God of War 3's audience hadn't played God of War 2. And the same happened with GoW 2018. And with UC4.

A huge portion of the player base is coming in not having played the previous game.

Yup, and even if the sales were equal (same entry #1 sold 10 million and entry #2 sold 10 million) - A good portion/most of the players between entry #1 and entry #2 will be different.

Most sequels are 3-5 years apart, the people playing them will be different!