• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ugh. Now they're just talking about how the language in the tweet was bad and how Twitter is mean.

Mike has tried to get the focus on why it being an NFT makes no sense a couple times but Austin seems intent on talking about how mean people are and Troy's telling weird stories about how someone's daughter died and he said "cool" and how he's learning the language to tell his own story and blah blah blah.

This is unsatisfying. It's mostly about the response to the tweet itself than any real discussion of why the thing he was advertising is nonsense.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
Ugh. Now they're just talking about how the language in the tweet was bad and how Twitter is mean.

Mike has tried to get the focus on why it being an NFT makes no sense a couple times but Austin seems intent on talking about how mean people are and Troy's telling weird stories about how someone's daughter died and he said "cool" and how he's learning the language to tell his own story and blah blah blah.

This is unsatisfying. It's mostly about the response to the tweet itself than any real discussion of why the thing he was advertising is nonsense.
Because there isnt much to say, they've spoken about NFT in the past, they've all said their piece on it again. Troy said sorry. Also they seemed to have talked a fair bit off camera before recording so maybe that's where it was more impactful. They're not gonna blow up their friendship on camera.

Mike does joke about how Troy nuking himself on twitter did more to save the games industry from NFT than anything, so if you think about Troy's actually the good guy! (lol im kidding)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm sure the industry would be fine, that's not the point. I'm just not ready to call for someone to lose their job that easily. Again, do I know if he was actively malicious or just an idiot? No, I don't (although, with the latest developments he really looks like a real idiot). I feel it's way too early to pass judgement and be ready to cut someone out of their profession.
He can't project himself to others as an intellectual and then get a free pass for not knowing the implications of shilling NFTs. He's put himself into a position of not being able to have it both ways.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
What's the difference? The consequences of his actions are still very much the same.

It depends what happens next. Nothing actually happened yet. If he realizes he's been an idiot and gets out of this partnership, well, only his reputation will have suffered.

Intent and action are both important. It has barely been 24h since his dumbass tweet, let's chill a little before calling for him to be erased from past and future work, shall we?

I'm so done with this "story" narrative. Troy really seems to be full of himself. And he does sound like an idiot in this podcast.

Last edited:

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017

They were never going to dress their friend down in the public square. It's a podcast, not Jenny Jones.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
After finishing the podcast I feel like get where Troy is coming from, even if i disagree so throroughly about what he did. The dude has an almost child-like naivety and just blindly walked into this partnership and he didn't even begin to think about how people who react to this, And he realized that having the tweet say "you could hate or create" is just inherently antagonstic and caused a large amount of the vitrol. It's not that he doesn't care to do research, it's that he cares too much and had complete faith in the company and it's product without doing a lick of due dilligence. Incredibly irresponsible.

I do feel for him though, he genuinely belives in the future of AI generated voice-acting, and wants to be at the forfront of this technology and its application as a tool for smaller developers. He just doesnt understand that you can invest in start-ups related to AI without associating with NFT/crypto/blockchain technology.

The people who are saying Troy needs to be cancelled forever before he even makes a statement/next steps are wild, let the man make a decision first then decide. If he backdows and applogizes, then only his rep is hurt. If he doubles down than by all means get rid of him.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The people who are saying Troy needs to be cancelled forever before he even makes a statement/next steps are wild, let the man make a decision first then decide. If he backdows and applogizes, then only his rep is hurt. If he doubles down than by all means get rid of him.
Wait, are there people asking for this?
Troy deserves all the criticism for this huge fuck-up, for sure, but damn if what you say is true it seems like people are taking this way farther than they should. This was stupid on his part, very stupid really, but that's all it is.
Now, that other thing with the Kickstarter project that apparently didn't deliver and he kept the money, yeah that shit deserved more answers.
If he disappeared from the industry forever tomorrow, the industry would be just fine. He's promoting a known scam. It's fine to lose Troy Baker from future games. We'll be fine lol
Oh wow… people are really asking for this lol. Unbelievable. As I said above, Troy deserves all the shit he's currently getting because of his stupid tweet and promoting NFTs, but this shit right here is baffling.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Because there isnt much to say, they've spoken about NFT in the past, they've all said their piece on it again. Troy said sorry. Also they seemed to have talked a fair bit off camera before recording so maybe that's where it was more impactful. They're not gonna blow up their friendship on camera.

Mike does joke about how Troy nuking himself on twitter did more to save the games industry from NFT than anything, so if you think about Troy's actually the good guy! (lol im kidding)

They were never going to dress their friend down in the public square. It's a podcast, not Jenny Jones.

Oh, I'm not saying that they should have unfriended him or thrown chairs or whatever. I certainly wouldn't ditch a friend for what he's done thus far. Just that, for a podcast about people disliking his involvement with an NFT project, NFTs themselves barely even came up.

I know there are probably contracts in place and he doesn't want to say anything that could get him in trouble, but I was hoping for a deeper delve into what exactly Troy thought he was promoting or why he was willing to jump into the NFT space with that project with NFTs having the reputation they do. It's still unclear what the product even is, and it's alarming that even he didn't seem to know.

I'm very interested to see if it being pointed out to him that he should have those answers actually results in him taking any action.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wait, are there people asking for this?
Troy deserves all the criticism for this huge fuck-up, for sure, but damn if what you say is true it seems like people are taking this way farther than they should. This was stupid on his part, very stupid really, but that's all it is.
Now, that other thing with the Kickstarter project that apparently didn't deliver and he kept the money, yeah that shit deserved more answers.
A lot of people remember his doubling down on his retweet of his transphobic joke. So this is just another footnote in their beef with him. That and the album fiasco and his Roosevelt response to Jason. And how he treated Nolan North.

Like I get "cancelling" is bad, but I feel like a lot of people are ignoring those other issues and instead are assuming that Era is only having a beef with him now because of this.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
A lot of people remember his doubling down on his retweet of his transphobic joke. So this is just another footnote in their beef with him. That and the album fiasco and his Roosevelt response to Jason. And how he treated Nolan North.

Like I get "cancelling" is bad, but I feel like a lot of people are ignoring those other issues and instead are assuming that Era is only having a beef with him now because of this.
I never really thought much of the response to Jason tbh, neither side came out looking good imo. The album thing? Yeah, that shit is terrible and I do think people should be talking about that more rn. I ignore that stuff about a transphobic joke and would appreciate more elaboration on it, honestly had no idea.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
If he disappeared from the industry forever tomorrow, the industry would be just fine. He's promoting a known scam. It's fine to lose Troy Baker from future games. We'll be fine lol
He messed up. He knows it and will probably back pedal. But, statements like this just seem so extreme. The man is human and has a family to provide for. But yeah screw him, let him lose his livelyhood because of a stupid NFT tweet. Nonsense. How quickly some people are ready to cancel anyone, as if people are perfect, is beyond me.

Going into something so blindly was stupid. If he's being honest and his intentions were as stated, then the man made a mistake. He's not my favorite person in the world by any means. But, again, full on fuck this guy? Cancel him into an oblivion? Really? And I know that's not necessarily what you said. Just kind of going based on many posts in this thread.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He also follows it up saying he wanted to do this for independent creators who want them in his game but couldn't afford his voice while still owning the rights and not getting in trouble for it since it'd be affordable.

This feels like a weird one to hit considering even if I take him in the very best light, if he thinks this would help a smaller developer it comes at the expense of hurting the VA industry at large as anytime someone would be using this it's an affordable actor that's not getting an opportunity.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What small creator can't afford decent VAs but can afford fucking NFTs.

Huckster bullshit trying to make his motives seem altruistic.

SirJahn

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
There's something extremely toxic in our culture right now that manifests itself in people judging other people without a second thought. Actions can and definetely should be judged if they cause suffering but judging people is a slippery slope. Where does it end? I mean can you find a satisfying conclusion if you start to meditate on it? Why did that person act in the way they did? Are they ignorant or malicious? If the person is truly ignorant then is it ok to judge a person because they simply did not know?

"He who is without sin cast the first stone." or something along the lines, yeah?

We make mistakes. That's what makes us human. Don't condemn the person, condemn the actions and before hurrying to make a judgment take a deep breath, self-reflect a bit and inject a little empathy into your thought process. I think we could use some of that in our times. Don't fuel the flames and waste your energy on these bizarre witch hunts on digital platforms that aren't actually even real life.

I consider myself somewhat tech savvy and still don't have a clue what NFT's are about. And I suppose neither did Troy.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself somewhat tech savvy and still don't have a clue what NFT's are about. And I suppose neither did Troy.
He literally claimed to have spent weeks in talks with them and then claims to not understand how any of it works. So he's either lying or so aggressively unintelligent with business decisions that it's a wonder he's managed to make a living at all.

There's also nothing "toxic" about calling out someone on their blatant cash-grabbing horseshit. Especially someone as self-aggrandizing and navel-gazing as Troy Baker.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You know its kind of magical seeing companies put out NFT announcements at this point and expect anything but a disaster. I wonder how many rounds of this have to happen before nobody wants to do it any more.

The sheer amount of scrutiny these people have gotten... yeeeesh. They must be regretting so hard hahaha.
It's always met with near universal blowback from general audiences. The only people happy about it are the true believers with a bunch of money tied up in crypto. It's not viable but they just keep trying. I cannot believe that they somehow think that their idea will magically be the one that doesn't make everyone mad
Nike and Adidas are the only companies I've seen not get any major blowback.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
There's something extremely toxic in our culture right now that manifests itself in people judging other people without a second thought. Actions can and definetely should be judged if they cause suffering but judging people is a slippery slope. Where does it end? I mean can you find a satisfying conclusion if you start to meditate on it? Why did that person act in the way they did? Are they ignorant or malicious? If the person is truly ignorant then is it ok to judge a person because they simply did not know?

"He who is without sin cast the first stone." or something along the lines, yeah?

We make mistakes. That's what makes us human. Don't condemn the person, condemn the actions and before hurrying to make a judgment take a deep breath, self-reflect a bit and inject a little empathy into your thought process. I think we could use some of that in our times. Don't fuel the flames and waste your energy on these bizarre witch hunts on digital platforms that aren't actually even real life.

nfts gives you a token that allows you to judge people and leave that judgement as an indelible mark on the blockchain. the faster an nft grows in value, i.e. the steeper the slope, the more access you have to judgements of various levels all the way up to digitally stoning the person.

"Whoever saves one nft condemns the world entire"

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

First of all, it isn't just "haha I was convinced NFT's were cool". Dude literally led off with a "hate or create" message that intentionally stirred the pot, not to mention a wide variety of instances of either moderately or very shitty behavior in the past. This isn't a first offense situation, nor should it be treated like one.

All that said, we're all open to an apology. And no, not on a podcast. If the dude tweets, "Everyone, I deeply apologize for both my decisions regarding VoiceVerse and my antagonistic tone. I've dissolved my contract, pledge to do better, and I humbly ask your forgiveness", then he'll have it from me.

Until he does that, whatever, I don't owe him the benefit of the doubt.

Nov 25, 2021

Ignorance without an apology or any indicator of growth is a form of maliciousness. Particularly if you try to pass it off as "But I was trying to do a good thing, can't you see!".
When you make a mistake, you own up to it. Nobody cares for the excuses.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I just read the reaction to what he did without knowing what he did I would have assumed he committed a murder or several murders and then went on a racist diatribe after

People are a bit out of control

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did you get paid thousands of dollars to shil them.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
I will hate NFTs...until there are pokemon nfts. Well, I'll probably still hate them, but I will be buying them.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Use your main coward.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Yeah, looks like we have a bingo there lol

If I just read the reaction to what he did without knowing what he did I would have assumed he committed a murder or several murders and then went on a racist diatribe after

People are a bit out of control

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
So with those podcasts quotes in mind...at best, the man is actually a moron. Like legit scammer cold call bait. Like someone's useless fucking grandpa. Hilarious.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

This reads like Troy wrote it. Just as pretentious.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

Lol.
He doesnt have a cluue about them, but he'll happily use his stature and standing to make money off it? Funny how that works.

A scammer regardless of ignorance is still an asshole.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
"I don't own any NFT's BUT!"
"I don't know anything about NFT's BUT!"

"why are y'all hating on honest snake-oil salesmen? Anyone who gets scammed by this just fell for someone trying to undermine NFT's, or didn't understand NFT's."

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Is Troy Baker, of all people, really pretending to be some naïve waif who's just SO damn altruistic, thinking of all the smaller VA's SO much, that he jumped into this without a second's thought (despite going back and forth with them for weeks, apparently) or research?
...and some people in this thread were already buying it? The hell? Troy Baker? The guy who's been at the top of the industry for so long, so many high profile gigs under his belt, dealt with massive companies, who had his list of diva demands all ready to go when people talked about dealing with him earlier in this thread (or was that in the thread that got bizarrely locked? I can't remember right now), THAT'S the guy we're supposed to pretend has no idea what he's signing onto?
bullshit-unbelievable.gif

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
He messed up. He knows it and will probably back pedal. But, statements like this just seem so extreme. The man is human and has a family to provide for. But yeah screw him, let him lose his livelyhood because of a stupid NFT tweet. Nonsense. How quickly some people are ready to cancel anyone, as if people are perfect, is beyond me.

Going into something so blindly was stupid. If he's being honest and his intentions were as stated, then the man made a mistake. He's not my favorite person in the world by any means. But, again, full on fuck this guy? Cancel him into an oblivion? Really? And I know that's not necessarily what you said. Just kind of going based on many posts in this thread.

Sounds like Troy is somewhat of a known grifter sooo....

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.
He doesnt have a cluue about them, but he'll happily use his stature and standing to make money off it? Funny how that works.

A scammer regardless of ignorance is still an asshole.
It's baffling how anyone can think that expecting a modicum of accountability and responsibility for how one uses their large platform is a representation of a "toxic culture", yet not having to do the bare minimum of research to first understand what one is peddling is fine. (Not to mention that he has literally cheated people out of money in the past without any consequences.)

Imagine having more empathy for the unrepentant perpetrator of a scam than the victims of one. Some of y'all deserve the pseudo-libertarian hellscape you make for yourselves.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling how anyone can think that expecting a modicum of accountability and responsibility for how one uses their large platform is a representation of a "toxic culture", yet not having to do the bare minimum of research to first understand what one is peddling is fine. (Not to mention that he has literally cheated people out of money in the past without any consequences.)

Imagine having more empathy for the perpetrator of a scam than the victims of one. Some of y'all deserve the pseudo-libertarian hellscape you make for yourselves.

This is a completely warped assessment of what I (and probably some others) are thinking/expressing.

1) I think criticizing him is fine. I think discussing it is fine. I think discussing what is wrong with NFTs is fine. But so many of the responses are some version of "fuck you asshole" and this is the part I'm tired of. Just everything is in absolutes.

2) I never once said I approved of what he did or of NFTs. I don't.

I guess measured stances and subtley are difficult to comprehend if you live your life on twitter and youtube, but it's quite possible to think someone did something dumb without going full ad hominem, scorched earth, and demanding their careers end.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That was definitely a "what the fuck are you talking about" apology.

I dont think the dudes cancelled or anything, just exposed to be either a bit of a dumbass or a shill.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
This is a completely warped assessment of what I (and probably some others) are thinking/expressing.

1) I think criticizing him is fine. I think discussing it is fine. I think discussing what is wrong with NFTs is fine. But so many of the responses are some version of "fuck you asshole" and this is the part I'm tired of. Just everything is in absolutes.
Other people are also tired.

I never said you did. The person I quoted responded to someone else.

I guess measured stances and subtley are difficult to comprehend if you live your life on twitter and youtube, but it's quite possible to think someone did something dumb without going full ad hominem, scorched earth, and demanding their careers end.
This is completely hyperbolic, and you know that. Everyone makes mistakes. It stops being ignorance when you double-down or show zero remorse or awareness of the impact of your words when you have thousands of people who put weight into them.

Also, you're discounting the fact that he literally took people's money and ran in the past with a project years ago and never provided answers or compensation.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

Oh no the famous white voice actor who has kickstarted an album then took the money and ran and is now trying to scam people with NFTs is being called an asshole.

Oh my god the audacity of holding a popular person accountable for their assholery. Truly a scary thing. Troy Baker will never recover from these ERA comments.

No one is saying he should be canceled, but people dont have to support the work he is in either. There are plenty of non asshole voice actors people can support instead.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Reading people make fun of NFT bros is like sex for me, and I'm having the time of my life reading this thread.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
alright, who's alt is Jahn

just fess up
Not touching upon what he said (others have already responded to it), but I wish people wouldn't be so obvious with their alts. How hard could it be to make some generic filler posts like "Breath of the Wild is a great game", and upload an avatar? It's common sense, right? Also, are you really that scared of getting banned that you need to hop on an alt to say stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.