• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
People rever Kojima like a literal god around here, though imo none of his games (so far I've played 3/4ths MGSIV before getting sick of it, and parts of V) simply live up to it.
The impact and influence Metal Gear Solid had on the industry is undeniable.

I wouldn't feel comfortable personally making a claim like that while admitting I never finished one of his games.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i mean it's simply a case of people being uncomfortable w/ other ppl's fervor yeh? saw the same thing with undertale's release where the loud love from ppl that played it began to be addressed w/ kind of intense hate, or even a weirder example jennifer lawrence's status on reddit lmao, where ppl loved her and then hated her the next year because they felt "saturated" w/ lawrence content lol. it is good to question something that ppl seem to go gaga over w/ no restrictions imo, tho some ppl devolve into just churning out hate against something because they think ppl like it too much.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Great games that were received well by critics and the gaming community at large?
Neither were particularly influential or moved the industry forward despite the critical reception compared to other titles released during the same time periods. TW3 influence in the AAA space was very evident just a mere two years after release with AC:Origins, Horizon, and even Nier Automata's devs all going on record saying they were influenced by it. So far, the only instance of MGSV influencing a title was that AC:O had a pseudo reflex mode that didn't really affect the game all that much while it's other major influences were stuff Ubi's other studios were already doing, (Far Cry for example). But all three of those games were also influenced by other titles as well, not just TW3. Moving the industry forward is not something a single director can really do unless they create a new genre and I thought that Death Stranding, "strand game" name aside, will be the one to do that. Especially if the strand game effect is just iteration on existing ideas.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
The impact and influence Metal Gear Solid had on the industry is undeniable.
I know, but so was GTAIII or Doom, yet I've never seen anyone speak so highly of the Housers or John Carmack (while the latter is an actual genius lol).

I'm not saying "Kojima sucks donkey balls", I just don't understand the hype surrounding him as a person given his more recent output (i.e. MGSIV and V, the former which I didn't finish because I simply found it too much of a slog), that's all. I enjoyed MGSV's gameplay, I didn't care much for its story (I didn't continue it out of time constraints), but I never thought it pushed the medium forward. It was, from what I've played, a great stealth game with a so-so story.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
See I read the thread. And I'm not seeing what youre saying exists. Thus why I'm asking you for examples. Walls of shame? Maybe point me in the rules here that say youre not allowed to post others' posts on an internet forum (in order to evidence them being toxic and not wanting the game but to shit on Kojima). No such rule exists and it happens all the time here. Are you now going to make up a rule on this forum as well so you dont have to actually demonstrate your argument?

What examples? You told me to look up "bullshit". I didn't take that seriously but if thats seriously what you want me to look up that evidences IIFloody's point I will. Also what Trumpism did I spout?

Again what negativity and pessimism is going on in here that isn't healthy? Just give me the posts youre referring to here. What virtiol is running rampant and if it is why aren't mods taking action? If this behavior is so rampant in here why cant you actually post the posts youre referring to?

I can't see it because youre not actually providing it. Telling me to look up posts in here with the term "bull shit" isn't actually giving me anything worthwhile.
You see what you want to see. The people getting angry over something he didn't even say and how it's a jumping off point to say how he's not made anything good in a decade and he should fuck off or people losing their mind because they don't know what easiest means and how him not wanting to make those games is outrageous, is all here to see, I'm not reading threads for you. Bye.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I am the humble game developer. Please don't buy my game, I don't think its good enough or does anything different than other games. Also I don't like to spend money on my games because they are not art and just need to sell. Also the last group of developers that worked under me all decided to not follow me into my next venture because I'm such a nice guy.
LOL

closer

Oct 25, 2017
If there is acorksniffong mini game I'll believe him.

lol if im fanfictioning
there will definitely be parts where you drop your boxes but the STRAND comes through and someone helps you pick all your shit up, and you're just like "fuck my life and everything about it, but at the same time I'm grateful for the presence of others", then the credits play.

man im so excited

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The odds of this game being wildly incomprehensible seem to grow every day.

Oh well, still buying it. It'll be an event.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV had Quiet
Death Stranding has Fragile

I'll take bets on the name of the lead woman in Kojima's next groundbreaking IP starting now

amprainy

May 31, 2019
You don't move things forward by playing it safe. I'm glad Kojima is given the freedom to make the game he truly wants to make and I hope it will surprise us.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If anyone can move the industry forward, it's the man whose last two games are Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5.

Both great games, both sold well and both reviewed well.

Kojima now wants to move things forward, his past work has nothing to do with it really, although his past games have tons of interest ideas and concepts. Kojima is free of Metal Gear now and is looking to do something different, so who's to say he doesn't push things in a new direction.

I really hope he can pull it off because I'm getting bored of seeing so many shooters and big open world games with tons of repetition and less original ideas with each new game.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The game looks interesting but I'am waiting for reviews after how disappointing MGS 5 was.

Tbf, MGSV has a 93 on Metacritic. And Kojima's name carries a lot of goodwill even among reviewers. Not saying that reviewers are gonna be extremely bias but this could be a divisive game among critics and gamers.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
If this is a sign of how the review thread will go, lord I can't wait. Lol

Either way most of us are gonna buy it so the discussion around the game will be quite intriguing

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Hope this gets game of the year and has like a 99 on metacritic just so I can see all the koji-haters cry, again. Ill have a good ass time with the game probably even if its not my type of game atleast its going to be unique.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we get the Kojima equivalent of the classic "John Romero is about to make you his bitch" ad for Death Stranding.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Oct 27, 2017
Neither were particularly influential or moved the industry forward despite the critical reception compared to other titles released during the same time periods. TW3 influence in the AAA space was very evident just a mere two years after release with AC:Origins, Horizon, and even Nier Automata's devs all going on record saying they were influenced by it. So far, the only instance of MGSV influencing a title was that AC:O had a pseudo reflex mode that didn't really affect the game all that much while it's other major influences were stuff Ubi's other studios were already doing, (Far Cry for example). But all three of those games were also influenced by other titles as well, not just TW3. Moving the industry forward is not something a single director can really do unless they create a new genre and I thought that Death Stranding, "strand game" name aside, will be the one to do that. Especially if the strand game effect is just iteration on existing ideas.

To be fair, influence isn't something that a developer can control; I don't think there's anything wrong with attempting something new, even if it doesn't end up setting the world on fire (the Nemesis system in Mordor). Although, I don't think any developer would say that they aren't actively trying to innovate either.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, influence isn't something that a developer can control; I don't think there's anything wrong with attempting something new, even if it doesn't end up setting the world on fire (the Nemesis system in Mordor). Although, I don't think any developer would say that they aren't actively trying to innovate either.
I mean the nemesis system was the inspiration for the mercenary system in AC:Odyssey. I think it's just saying that unlike a lot of other titles, even some that were less successful commercially, mgsv didn't really have a large influence or "move the industry forward." You're right that devs don't control influence, i'm not sure Miyazaki ever expected the Souls series to become as big and influential as it did, to the point where even the standard for melee controls has slowly but surely shifted to something closer to souls on top of clear efforts to make games a bit less forgiving.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's entirely possible to be proud of your work without flaunting it as the most ambitious thing to happen since the invention of computers. If history is anything to go by, creators who hype themselves up to this extent don't usually deliver on their promises. It does come across as pompous and a little tiresome, specially when the marketing campaign is intentionally designed to show absolutely nothing of substance about the product. This is probably going to be a good ass game, but its "revolution" will most likely end up being a polished iteration of tried-and-true concepts from other titles. Let consumers, critics and history be the judge as to whether or not your "more than a game" is deserving of such status. I doubt it's going to have as much of an impact as Kojima hopes, and likely won't inspire as many "the Death Stranding of xxx" headlines and inspiration shout-outs as, say, the Souls franchise did. And I say this as someone who holds MGS V as one of my favorite games of the generation. I'd be happy if the game does turn out to be as revolutionary as touted though.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
There are people actually hoping the game bombs, one in an effort to humble Kojima. Lord have mercy, what have we become.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll get another MGS4.

A few good gameplay ideas that are sidelined by an onerous, ridiculous story.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
MGSV is still the best game this gen. Gameplay is by far the best of any game this gen. It still has cutscenes and moments that most games would never dream of accomplishing. Huge game with loads of content.

If this game has gameplay anywhere close to that it will be a masterpiece.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
MGSV is still the best game this gen. Gameplay is by far the best of any game this gen. It still has cutscenes and moments that most games would never dream of accomplishing. Huge game with loads of content.

If this game has gameplay anywhere close to that it will be a masterpiece.

Unless you didn't bought another game since 2013, yes.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone can move the industry forward, it's the man whose last two games are Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5.
Neither of those games are better than MGS3:S though. Narratively speaking, the MGS series definitely went downhill the moment Kojima wrote himself into the corner of explaining things that really didn't require an explanation. Clearly the strain of being forced to dedicate his efforts to one series was getting to him, so his departure from Konami is a positive one.

Death Stranding, so far, seems to be a very unique and intriguing creation. However, it being a solid title mechanically speaking is up in the air at this point. That's somewhat concerning given the fact that all of his previous titles had lengthy vertical slice demonstrations. This game is months away and we don't have much to go on. Given how tight MGSV's gameplay is and how much this game seems to borrow from it, I'm willing to trust that the lessons learned from previous projects will carry over. We'll see though.

A title from Kojima, in its entirety, hasn't impressed me since MGS3:S. I'm hoping that the creative and financial freedom he currently has allows him to top the efforts demonstrated in MGS1, 2 and 3.