• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
For all of the hate Kojima gets I'm surprised to see his games do well in this community lol (MGS4 was GOTY in 2008 and MGSV was #3 in 2015 at the old site).

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It is going to be unique and obtuse that's for sure. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Others have said what I wanted to say about being pretentious. That's the marketing style they are going for and people will eat it up

Hopefully the game delivers and it's fun to play. Just hope the themes make the gameplay worth while.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
The more people talk about this game, the more I hope this becomes Kojima's "Peter Molyneux" moment and flops because I am sick to death of people's worship of this guy. There are better writers and better game directors out there. They just don't parade their name on their work like they're a god and claim all the fame for themselves over the other hundreds of people who also worked on the game

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Ideally I want all video games to be good. But Kojima hasn't made a good game or told a good story since MGS3, so I'm skeptical of his capabilities, annoyed by the hero-worship, and off-put by talk once more of how he's gonna push the industry forward.

MGS 3 is in the second worst game in the series though. and MGSV has the second best story of any Metal Gear Solid behind 2.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I've played through and loved/liked every mainline MGS game and for MGSV I preordered the Limited Edition PS4 version and the PC version. If being ambivalent and a bit cynical towards Death Stranding and the ego-worshipping and celebrity-worship that so much of its advertising revolves around makes me a 'Hideo Kojima hater' then, fuck, I guess I am. Some people would call me a David Lynch hater because I didn't like Twin Peaks Season 3 despite Eraserhead and Twin Peaks Season 1/2 being high up in my lists of favourite movies/TV shows respectively.
Nobody is saying you need to worship the guy, fuck, most people are just excited about the game!

It's the people that are constantly trying to dismiss his accomplishments in every damn thread, that prompt me to defend the guy.

If you love his games, that's all that matters. We just want to celebrate great, ambitious games, man.

And yes, I can be critical of his games. MGSV did nothing for me (the gameplay was incredible though).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree the game should be judged independently from the hype before release, but at the same time you claim we all "know it will simply be a great game with a unique element or two." You've already judged it lol.

Serious question though...what about this game has been unique so far?
Well look at the trailers. I've never seen another game that looks like it. So that seems pretty unique.

But it will still be a game where you control a character and run around a world. Your controller isn't going to magically float away or something.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nobody is saying you need to worship the guy, fuck, most people are just excited about the game!

It's the people that are constantly trying to dismiss his accomplishments in every damn thread, that prompt me to defend the guy.

If you love his games, that's all that matters. We just want to celebrate great, ambitious games, man.

And yes, I can be critical of his games. MGSV did nothing for me (the gameplay was incredible though).

If you want to call out those people then call them out direction: use the quote function so that they know you're referring to them. Doing generic "fuck the haters!" comments in a thread like this with such a varying range of experiences, opinions, etc just makes your post seem like you're angry at anyone for not liking this kind of ego-worship and pretentiousness.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Ideally I want all video games to be good. But Kojima hasn't made a good game or told a good story since MGS3, so I'm skeptical of his capabilities, annoyed by the hero-worship, and off-put by talk once more of how he's gonna push the industry forward.
I could not agree more; you have that earn that kind of praise and Kojima, in my opinion, hasn't done anything of any real note since MGS3. Aside from a few vague trailers and some equally vague gameplay, Death Stranding remains a huge question mark.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Probably because we have heard nothing about the actual gameplay or what you do and just a whole lot of Kojima fluff, which all sounds cool, but people want something more substantial.
But we have seen gameplay... enough of it for me to be hyped.
Edit: And it's not like Kojima games ever have bad gameplay.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
If you want to call out those people then call them out direction: use the quote function so that they know you're referring to them. Doing generic "fuck the haters!" comments in a thread like this with such a varying range of experiences, opinions, etc just makes your post seem like you're angry at anyone for not liking this kind of ego-worship and pretentiousness.
I've made my stance clear throughout several different threads. I won't bother with pointing every single one of them out anymore, because it clearly hasn't worked... If they have something to add, they can quote me and I'll happily engage.

And now you know my stance too. It's simple really, I'm tired of the bullshit.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everyone, Kojima is great.

He has always tried to move the medium forward with the games he puts out and for most of them has succeeded. Thank god, because this industry can be such a fucking drag in the AAA space with every company these days not taking risks and seeing their customers as money sponges to milk every last dollar out of, with their annual AAA products more like alternate versions of poker machines with an addictive dose of numbers going up to hit the dopamine in your brain. So thank you Sony for giving this fucking madman Kojima truckloads of money so he can continue to make his weird auteur nonsense that has been some of the best games I've played in my life.

Last edited:

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, all pre-release talk of Kojima's games (or any media in general, tbh) tend to mean little once the game drops.

On the other hand, he created PT and Metal Gear franchise, all to critical (and personal) acclaim.

I'll allow it.

Edit: I will agree with the other poster, though, that people's vocal hyperbolic hate on this site for Kojima simply existing has far surpassed people's vocal "love" for his games.
Probably because it's been done to death lol. I don't feel like the hates surpassed the love. I feel like the love came first, now you get to hear from people that are more critical of him and his work. I like metal gear but I've noticed I'm way less impressed by the narrative the more I look back on it... To the point where I actively avoid mgs discussions in general.

Also, people just want to see some real gameplay now. Give us a full mission. I don't need anymore random cutscenes.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
MGS2 is still the most ambitious, risk taking AAA game in terms of plot and themes all these later, so if anyone can do it again it's Kojima

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Its nice to see that everyone working on the game or has seen it is so excited!

Sure we could argue this level of hype building is a bad idea but fuck it

I really enjoy the concept and quality I have seen thus far

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about all this worship talk but Kojima is certainly one of the most impressive and consistently brilliant game developers out there. I've never been a fan of his narratives but his game mechanics tend to be top shelf and he rarely disappoints.

Oct 30, 2017
But we have seen gameplay... enough of it for me to be hyped.
Edit: And it's not like Kojima games ever have bad gameplay.
We've been shown footage of Reedus walking and running from enemies and building a ladder to climb up a boulder. Oh, and sitting because there may or may not be some sort of fatigue mechanic.

And that is enough to make you hype?

Here is a compilation of all the gameplay released so far. 5 minutes:

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
The more people talk about this game, the more I hope this becomes Kojima's "Peter Molyneux" moment and flops because I am sick to death of people's worship of this guy. There are better writers and better game directors out there. They just don't parade their name on their work like they're a god and claim all the fame for themselves over the other hundreds of people who also worked on the game
Fuck people like you. Those "hundreds of people" you seemingly care about will be out of a job, if the game doesn't do well.

Those people followed him efter the Konami incident. They could've gone anywhere in the World with their talent, yet they chose to continue to work for the guy.

He's tried numerous times to let his staff take over the mantle. Read this.

Kojima said:
I was working on Peace Walker, and I handed Rising off to the other staff. We had a different relationship from other working teams. I wasn't aware of the content, really just working on Peace Walker. I probably should have stepped in to collaborate on the game design, but whenever I do that the young staff never develops. I didn't want to do that. And I certainly didn't want to do that for Metal Gear Rising.

You are free to have your preferences, you don't have to like him or his games, but fuck you for wishing they all fail.

Oct 30, 2017
...Yes. And your point is?
I don't think you're hyped about the game because of the gameplay. I think you're hyped because of Kojima's pedigree and not the quality--or quantity--of gameplay.

It's the same excuse people used to use for Molyneux, Itagaki, and Will Wright. That their reputation should speak for them and that any criticism towards their games was merely toxicity or unearned doubt or whatever.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck people like you. Those "hundreds of people" you seemingly care about will be out of a job, if the game doesn't do well.

Those people followed him efter the Konami incident. They could've gone anywhere in the World with their talent, yet they chose to continue to work for the guy.

He's tried numerous times to let his staff take over the mantle. Read this.

You are free to have your preferences, you don't have to like him or his games, but fuck you for wishing they all fail.

I think you're trying to make a good point, but you're being a touch too aggressive and defensive here, my dude.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I forgot this is the only thread about Death Stranding/Kojima. There's more than 2 too, some are even wishing the game fails, despite there apparently being barely anything to go on.
Then maybe specify that next time after I'm responding to someone talking about negativity in this thread. If its not an issue here it doesnt really sound relevant to this thread now does it?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Game is guaranteed to be highest reviewed game this year. Confident that it will win all game of year awards too. But kind of getting sick of Kojima and co's pretentious wanking to their game. Stop telling us. Show us whats so special about your game.