• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who's liked all the MGS games, I have found this games press cycle insufferable to the point where I've kind of lost interest. Still will wait for the general reception and probably play it eventually, but hearing people just wax poetic about how much of a genius Kojima is is so fucking old.
Agreed. This game will get good reviews off the strength of his name being attached to it lol. I remember reading reviews of mgsv and the reviewers completely neglecting to mention how shit the story was like there was an agenda to make sure people purchased before the word got out.

Gameplay was tight, but I play mgs predominantly for the narrative.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'm looking forward to the game and hopeful that it'll do something cool and unique, but it's hard to not roll your eyes at quotes like that considering his last couple games.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the entire marketing plan is aimed at people who already think Kojima is a flawless diamond who can do no wrong and is making absolutely no attempt to sell anyone else on the project.

And yet it's getting higher pre-orders than his past titles... so something's going right.

I don't have a problem with Kojima directly. I have a problem with all the marketing for this game being about him rather than the game itself.

Kojima's name is a major selling point, so I don't see the problem.

Even Troy Baker knows this from the quote in the OP.

"This will be a game that names sell, and it won't be Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen, and it sure as sh*t won't be Troy Baker," he continued. "The name that's going to sell this game is going to be Kojima."

And the release date trailer had nearly nothing about Kojima being advertised and was just the game speaking for itself.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
losing any interest i had with each new statement about this game.
The press for this game has gotten really bad recently, nothing other than telling everyone it will be revolutionary and kojima is a genius...
giphy.gif

I really hope it's all these things but i'd rather they wait and let the gameplay and experience do the talking once people can actually play it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The core issue is just that they refuse to talk about the game or show it in any reasonable capacity. Every interview is hazy metaphors or slavishly talking about how great Kojima is.

Some of us just want to actually see the game instead of be told how awesome it is by people who won't show us why it's awesome.
I think interviews can easily be tuned out tbh. They're still in the middle of creating the game and will show more when the time is right. There's no rush.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Is there an explanation out there yet of what a "Strand" game will be like?

I dunno, just can't make my mind up!

This is gonna be something for sure, and I'm willing to believe I'm gonna like it. But I'm not really sure about all the secrecy. I feel like they are worried about revealing too much, lest the majority don't pre-order and rush out to get it at launch when it turns out you ain't shooting shit.

Plum

May 31, 2018
What? The only people who are providing their likeness and not doing V/O and performance capture are Refn and Del Toro, who aren't actors...

Jesse Corti and Darren Jacobs are providing the voice over work for their characters IIRC

You are right but it's still really bad that Kojima's using Del Toro and Refn as marketing tools when the real work behind them will be done by those two people instead. It's especially egregious when neither of the previous two trailers credit the Voice Actors or Mo-Cap Actors and instead put Del Toro and Refn's name with a "Special Appearance," disclaimer underneath.

Gamers: "I'm tired of the generic Ubisoft-y game design formula! Give me something new!"

now Kojima tries to make something new and y'all be tripping over yourselves to call him pretentious

Why can't Kojima just make something new and let that something speak for itself?

The pretentiousness right now doesn't come from what the game is, it comes from the ego-boosting comments surrounding it.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem with Kojima directly. I have a problem with all the marketing for this game being about him rather than the game itself.
None of the game's trailers have featured Kojima aside from the name. All the trailers I've seen show off the game world, setting, and the characters in it. You can call it weird for weird's sake or knock the lack of gameplay shown, but I don't know if its all about Kojima until you read the enthusiast sites.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
They have to push kojima's name and career because it does not say "metal gear" on the box, I don't really see why that's surprising

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll take s far less cynical view; I'm not highly familiar with Kojima's games but I know enough to know that he's very talented. I'm willing to give this one a go no matter how it reviews.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why can't Kojima just make something new and let that something speak for itself?

The pretentiousness right now doesn't come from what the game is, it comes from the ego-boosting comments surrounding it.
I mean, this doesn't even come from Kojima? Even if it was why are people even so worked up about it? The game will come out and they will decide for themselves.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
But his name and career does have a lot of pedigree behind it. It matters.

In gaming, I agree that he's a big name. I just don't see why this is "pretentious marketing". He's a talented game designer, but his name is not exactly household. The push is to try to avoid another Boktai situation.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Very Steve Jobsy of him, if a bit unearned. I say that as someone who likes Kojima despite his numerous missteps.

EDIT: I wonder if we get a Quiet-type controversy again in Death Stranding, pfft.

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is pretentious. I like his games, but he is. I mean, we can argue if his games deserve the praise or not, that's debatable, but his arrogance is not. This is the guy who said, "He could get Keanu Reeves if he wanted to, but preferred Madds". His games, especially the earlier ones (I'm one of those that think that MGSV was trash, but that's my opinion) are generally considered to be really innovative, especially in gameplay systems, so he's a very good game designer.

He also has a horrific view on women, too.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm expecting a lot of backlash when the game comes out. There is no way it's going to deliver what a lot of old MGS fans want. So not sure how much irony there is in these tbh
People expect this to be a new MGS game? That's news to me. I am a big MGS-fan and I don't expect Death Stranding to be like it. What I expect is a highly experimental game that will split the userbase and might even land in the 70s review-wise because of how "different" it is. Or it will be another generic open-world-shooter with some crazy setting attached to it, lol.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
So it'll be like all his previous games that have had similar statements attached to them... who could have predicted such a thing?

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Kojima's games-turned-movies have delivered some of my favourite gameplay moments ever and I'd trust him with my firstborn if making games that just feel awesome to play was relevant as far as raising someone else's firstborn is concerned.

I'm going in blind and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. His writing is extremely hit or miss but that's not what makes me a fan. He can design a damn good game and I kinda like games.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta be honest. as far as intangible hype phrases (eg: "our biggest game yet", "most immersive", "largest game world", "BLANK hours of content", etc.) go... this shit, the "This is going to push the medium forward" type of shit, gets me hyped. Can't wait to play the game.

Oct 25, 2017
People expect this to be a new MGS game? That's news to me. I am a big MGS-fan and I don't expect Death Stranding to be like it. What I expect is a highly experimental game that will split the userbase and might even land in the 70s review-wise because of how "different" it is. Or it will be another generic open-world-shooter with some crazy setting attached to it, lol.
We're basically saying the same thing here

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I've never been disappointed with a Kojima game so far other than MGSV but I'm gonna put that more on Konami for complicating its development with their cheapness.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel the hostility towards Kojima worship has risen but personally I see the anti-worshipping sentiment to come from a place of common sense. To me there's nothing more irritating than a game that isn't proud of being a video game.
I can agree that it's really obnoxious. This game will probably benefit from the ending of it's marketing campaign.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
On one hand, all pre-release talk of Kojima's games (or any media in general, tbh) tend to mean little once the game drops.

On the other hand, he created PT and Metal Gear franchise, all to critical (and personal) acclaim.

I'll allow it.

Edit: I will agree with the other poster, though, that people's vocal hyperbolic hate on this site for Kojima simply existing has far surpassed people's vocal "love" for his games.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The game will let you virtually suck Kojima, and they made a real life sensor device specially for him to wear as fans play. After ten million players engage in the optional activity, the game will supposedly unlock a secret climax, which Kojima promises will include lots of strands.
Jesus...

May 26, 2018
The game will let you virtually suck Kojima, and they made a real life sensor device specially for him to wear as fans play. After ten million players engage in the optional activity, the game will supposedly unlock a secret climax, which Kojima promises will include lots of strands.

In this game, it won't be us, but Kojima who presses the xxx and the yyy and the xx and yy again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Kojima is pretentious. I like his games, but he is. I mean, we can argue if his games deserve the praise or not, that's debatable, but his arrogance is not. This is the guy who said, "He could get Keanu Reeves if he wanted to, but preferred Madds". His games, especially the earlier ones (I'm one of those that think that MGSV was trash, but that's my opinion) are generally considered to be really innovative, especially in gameplay systems, so he's a very good game designer.

He also has a horrific view on women, too.
You say this like he pretends otherwise. Kojima being a bit arrogant isn't something new or something he hides much. Being arrogant isn't really a bad thing either, especially not when you back it up, which Kojima and co definitely have over their careers, that's not debatable either.
Also everyone would benefit from being a bit arrogant imo, even if it might rub some the wrong way.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
i hope everyone who makes games is attempting to think if new ways for us to play games and connect
yall are some negative people, its beyond exhausting

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Oh boy, here come the Kojima detractors...
I can't wait for this to be one of his highest selling, best reviewed games ever.

Why the fuck are people that allegedly aren't interested in his games shitposting on all of the Kojima-related threads?!

For the love of fuck, all he has said is that he wants to push the medium forward and that he wants to do something unconventional. Is the fact that he actually can getting to you that much?

His entire gameography proves you the fuck wrong.
A lot of people enjoy his games, the industry respects him and his games both sell and review well and have been doing so since over 30 fucking years!

That's a lot more than any of you will ever be able to say.