• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Ow shut up, Troy. I remember the same hollow nonsense before MGSV came out.

Words and deeds, huge controversy, kojima breaking boundaries. And look how that ended up.

Massive, massive caution advised.

Yeah, I am cautious after MGSV. This is the chap that gave us a scantily dressed female sniper...

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Troy Baker hyping up another one of Kojima's games that he's cast in?

Shocking!

I remember when he said back then that Skyrim's open world looks like playpen compared to MGS V's before the game came out.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm expecting a lot of backlash when the game comes out. There is no way it's going to deliver what a lot of old MGS fans want. So not sure how much irony there is in these tbh
I'm expecting the opposite. Kojima is bullet-proof at this point. The game will be praised to the heavens regardless of how good it actually is.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Words and deeds, huge controversy, kojima breaking boundaries. And look how that ended up.

Kojima did break boundaries with MGSV. Its openness in gameplay has only been matched by one game in almost 6 years.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
*Gets his famous Film Director buddies to do some basic modelling work so that he can use their likeness to sell the game when the actual mo-cap and VA is being done by someone else who will inevitably not get the attention they deserve*

"So brave. So unique."
What? They only provide the likenesses? They're not doing the actual voice acting?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean hate him or love him for his stories, but the gameplay for titles he's directed/produced have been top notch. He's incredibly consistent. He wouldn't get as reverence as he does if it wasn't for the rock solid mechanics behind his titles. Can't speak for Death Stranding as I'm going in relatively blind, but my faith in him comes more from gameplay than it does world building. And I love MGS4. MGSV's story is garbage but the gameplay? It got me through 100+ hours.

That said I'm also sick of the ego and Hollywoodism from Kojima and it's a big part of why I'm ignoring Death Stranding's marketing. It's cost us good voice actors and obviously he has share of blame in the Konami split fiasco.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't get to finish MGS5 so if he did it probably would have applied too, MGS5 could've been something else if large parts of it weren't cut after the Kojima-Konami mess.

This is the case where i can't disagree with Konami in being not satisfied.

You can listen to licensed 80s music, steal posters, teach your horse to do business on command to make enemy soliders slip on it ... yet there's like ... a third of the game missing.

Maybe, just maybe, Kojima and team should've finished the game's full outline, having it playable and then add such detail stuff?

The second best thing the release of this game will give us is the end of this marketing cycle. Depending on the game's quality it could also be the best thing.

Marketing cycle may end, but the (deserved or not) constant hype / praise / naming it second coming of *insertyourmessiah* by the extreme side of Kojima/DS fans will sure stay for years ...

Plum

May 31, 2018
What? They only provide the likenesses? They're not doing the actual voice acting?

Yep:

"I asked my bestie, Nicolas, to be "HEARTMAN" in DS as special guest. We 3D scanned his head, body, and facial expressions to make his 3D model, but his acting and voice are done by a different performer, same as with Guillermo"

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate this kind of talk and marketing when it come to Kojima games.

Just make a good ass game and release it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This is the case where i can't disagree with Konami in being not satisfied.

You can listen to licensed 80s music, steal posters, teach your horse to do business on command to make enemy soliders slip on it ... yet there's like ... a third of the game missing.

Maybe, just maybe, Kojima and team should've finished the game's full outline, having it playable and then add such detail stuff?

Marketing cycle may end, but the (deserved or not) constant hype / praise / naming it second coming of *insertyourmessiah* by the extreme side of Kojima/DS fans will sure stay for years ...
Games aren't developed in a linear manner. Why you think them being finished means the other parts weren't being worked on I don't know.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i expect it to be unlike anything i've played, for better or worse. not big on "moving the medium forward" narratives because that could mean anything. like, wii sports "moved the medium forward"

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
This just seems in line with Kojimas marketing bullshit every time he makes a new game

Nah, that just means that you dont know what to expect, and because of that you go in all negative. Maybe its good, maybe its bad, we wont know until we try it.

I think its more than likely that this game will succeed, as its a kojima production. Mechanically its going to be top kek, for sure.

BELIEVE.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I remember the same hollow nonsense before MGSV came out.

This is me, too. I am sure Death Stranding will be unlike anything I've ever played before, but I remain cautious of anyone's promises after "words and deeds." Kojima has a huge following and people singing his genius is not out of the ordinary. I am very skeptical of Death Stranding and whatever his mission with it is. I truly hope it delivers and is genuinely a turning point in video games - I don't want it to be disappointing - but I expect it's going to be. I'm worried all these quotes and hyped promises will do more harm than good in the long run as they build the game up in to something impossible.

But I dunno. Maybe I'll eat these words. I will happily admit I had the wrong attitude. I've bought the game either way.

Oct 31, 2017
I see a quote like "If you know anything about Kojima, he doesn't make 'games'. He's an amazing world builder." And then I think of quotes like Satoru Iwata's "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."

Pretentious with a capital P.

I'll be buying and playing Death Stranding but Troy Baker, who's physical appearance is immortalized in the game, oops, I mean "the world Kojima built" is giving an interview to Push Square. You may as well write "This is a sponsored ad."

Would be thrilled for this to live up to what they're selling but if anything, all this bluster makes me wary.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Gamers: "Games are art, guys!"

Devs: "Our games are art."

Gamers: "So pretentious!"

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Nah, it will epitomize the pretentious, art house bullshit that attempts to turn video games into interactive films.

Kojima should just make a fucking movie and be done with it.

Jan 21, 2019
Not trying to move copies but trying to copy movies

giphy.gif
You win the thread.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
JFC.

The inane salty takes in this thread makes me super excited for the review thread. Gonna be a glorious dumpster fire.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone involved with the game is obviously going to hype it to the moon and back.

I'm keeping my hype (somewhat) contained.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

MGSV is the best playing/feeling game this generation nearly 4 years after its release, setting a new standard for TPS/Open world gameplay(all under suboptimal working conditions, to say the least).

He also released PT(a demo btw) which is now this mythical cult darling that's spawned tons of clones.

Say what you want about Death Stranding, but the experience it seems to be going after is unlike anything we've seen. Kojima backs his bullshit up.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, that just means that you dont know what to expect, and because of that you go in all negative. Maybe its good, maybe its bad, we wont know until we try it.

I think its more than likely that this game will succeed, as its a kojima production. Mechanically its going to be top kek, for sure.

BELIEVE.
Nah, i did not comment on the game itself, im saying this is the usual marketing shit when it comes to Kojimas games

Do you see Ueda, Miyazaki or ND team talking pretentious drivel like that? Their works speak for themselves . Kojima is pretentious .

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all the way in. I just wanna know if PlayStation's bottom line feels the same way lol

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bad feeling this game will be incredibly weak gameplay-wise. Something like the Team Ico games for example.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If nothing else I'm excited for Death Stranding because it makes clear it has priorities other than gameplay.

I know that's not the case for most people, but I don't particularly care; 'pretentious' games are far more interesting to me than the next gameplay heavy action game with trite stories and characters.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Troy said that the game wasn't a game, though.

And I ain't one of those folks to turn their noses up at art games. I love titles like NieR: Automata, Edith Finch, The Last Guardian, etc, and personally I feel that gaming has a lot of potential that simply isn't being fulfilled. I'm just not a fan of people inflating the already massive egos of Directors like Kojima, especially when the work they're referring to isn't even out yet.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't get to finish MGS5 so if he did it probably would have applied too, MGS5 could've been something else if large parts of it weren't cut after the Kojima-Konami mess.
MGSV had an extended development time and an $80 million budget, and the end result of all of that was a game that was woefully unfinished. Konami is not a good company, but it's silly to not hold Kojima responsible for the state of MGSV as well. The whole "He didn't get to finish" thing always irked me for this reason. How long would it have taken?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good games speak for themselves and don't need to be hyped up with "omg this is industry-chaning stuff, just wait and see". When the game is close enough to be ready, show why it's so revolutionary, innovative, amazing. Not buying it on Kojima's name alone or on some pre-launch hype.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Games aren't developed in a linear manner. Why you think them being finished means the other parts weren't being worked on I don't know.

I think i know well enough how games are developed. And the fact that a part of the game is just straight up missing, with not even DLC adding it after launch, shows just one thing, no one was really working on the last part of the game, so they literally did everything else. If there was at least SOME assets/stuff Konami could've salvaged via DLC, they would've.

This means, they missed milestones, budget increasing, maybe it even cause internal delays we don't know of. So ... yeah, i don't blame Konami in this case. You can blame them for many things, not this one.

Wasn't there a composer working on MGSV and other MGS games, who said that Kojima lacks business sense? Imagine, an artist calling you out for lacking *business sense*.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I feel like this will be a weirdly bad game. I certainly will not be picking it up within it's launch window.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
MGSV had an extended development time and an $80 million budget, and the end result of all of that was a game that was woefully unfinished. Konami is not a good company, but it's silly to not hold Kojima responsible for the state of MGSV as well.
clearly all the good that came out of MGS V is because of Kojima and him alone , while all the bad shit is on Konami and their evil CEO

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
ah finally a game that does more than be just a game - something to push the medium forward into an experience. it's about time we had one of those.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
If I look at the safe and generic focustested mush that AAA games have turned into, I'll take an overly pretentious game that at least sticks its neck out any day of the week.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
It's sad, because the game looks good, but the more I hear from it the less I think about it. "It's more than just a game", "it'll be a statement". Did anyone yet say it's an "experience"? It sounds a bit pretentious to be honest.
I've never played a Kojima game in its entirety (I played like 3/4th of MGSIV) but everytime I read about him he really does seem like a super pretentious person.