• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 8, 2018
trover-saves-the-universe.jpg

From the co-creator of Rick and Morty comes Trover Saves the Universe. Your dogs have been dognapped by a beaked lunatic who stuffed them into his eye holes and is using their life essence to destroy the universe. You're partnered with Trover, a little purple eye-hole monster who isn't a huge fan of working or being put in the position of having to save the universe.

Only you and Trover can save everything in this bizarre comedy adventure filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices -- created by Justin Roiland!

While the game is best experienced when playing in VR, you can play the entirety of the game without VR!

Release Date:
May 31, 2019 (PS4), June 4th, 2019 (PC)
Developer: Squanch Games
Publisher: Squanch Games, Gearbox Publishing (Physical)
Platforms: PSVR/PS4, PC (Via Steam or Epic Games Store)
Pricing: $29.99
Genre: Action/Adventure, Platformer

Features:
  • A comedy adventure filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices. See how the best intentions can go horribly awry.

• You control Trover's movements, but not his mouth. He's got a lot to say about what's going on in the game.

• Travel the cosmos to experience a variety of weird alien planets and bizarre characters with big personalities.

• Upgrade Trover AND YOURSELF with new abilities to (hopefully) defeat Glorkon while evading awkward situations.

• You'll be immersed in weirdness, no matter which display you use -- play on TV, monitor or VR headset displays.
Screenshots/Trailers:

Free DLC will be coming according to a post on Steam:
We sure did and no, we aren't talking about dingle lickin' cults…

We're going to release new content FOR FREE by keeping Trover at full price for longer than usual, instead of lowering the game's cost over time and charging for new content.

That means, once you've purchased the game, you'll see lots of new Trover adventures coming your way until it doesn't make sense to do that anymore. U COOL WIT DAT?

MetaCritic currently at 79:

Review Thread can be found here:

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
How long is the game?

Also should be clarified that it can also be played without VR

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Only played maybe 45 minutes or so but I'm having a very good time. You know what to expect from the humor if you're at all familiar with Roiland (and you're probably not looking at this game if you aren't) but it's pretty funny and there are some good characters so far. The platforming is great, the combat is hack-and-slashy but perfectly fine so far, the chair mechanic has a lot of potential for uncovering secrets and hidden collectables. Absolutely made for VR but I'm glad there's an option without it for those that don't have a headset. Can't wait to play more.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is it seated or otherwise sympathetic to PSVRs relatively poor tracking? otherwise I might wait for the pc version next week.

Is the rick and Morty game worth it?

Getting a bit of a backlog in VR - quite a few recent releases

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Noice

Grabbed it on PC for non-vr but now I'm almost regretting not getting it for my psvr.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My friend that likes Rick and Morty is coming over so we can start this tonight. Should be a fun night.

I'm tempted to go buy some herbal intoxicating substances to go along this now that the legal store is opened in town. But I don't usually smoke so what do.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Long wait to June 4th, but that EGS deal tipped me over to giving it a try. Looking quite forward to it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The game is compatible with SteamVR at launch as well - 4th June
Even has support for Index controllers

OP
OP
A Ream of Paper
Apr 8, 2018
Played a bit in non-VR mode to get the "You Actually Did It?!" trophy. Actually wasn't as tedious as I thought it'd be lol.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't bring myself to get excited for this (or Rick and Morty) after finding out Justin Roiland is friends with and decided to come on to Pewdiepie's channel. It really sucks, I enjoyed Roiland's work.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I'm having a decent time so far, but I'm also not blind to its problems. I think the humor isn't for me this time which is weird because I love R&M and Accounting+. I haven't really laughed at all a few hours in.

The combat isn't deep at all from what I can tell. It takes a fairly long time to get an evade skill and before that you gotta jump out of the way of attacks, but it's not like dmc5 where it makes you immortal.

Platforming isn't that great tbh, precision jumping isn't all natural but it gets better, but not perfect, once you get the double jump with its marker. Finding upgrades and raising platforms with the center of the screen dot is cumbersome and too finicky.

Camera controls are lacking, pie chart movement only in 2019 is really weird. The way the player character both physically and visually block Trover is ridiculous. Astrobot did it sooooo much better, simply by letting the camera move with Astro and turning the controller transparent whenever Astro was beneath it. Trover fucks this up entirely. And the whole moving to certain locations and pressing R2 to move the camera is just odd, like why?

I'm having fun but it's clearly not made by a seasoned platforming team. Trover really feels like a launch title in the sense that a lot of design choices are things we've moved past already.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a decent time so far, but I'm also not blind to its problems. I think the humor isn't for me this time which is weird because I love R&M and Accounting+. I haven't really laughed at all a few hours in.

The combat isn't deep at all from what I can tell. It takes a fairly long time to get an evade skill and before that you gotta jump out of the way of attacks, but it's not like dmc5 where it makes you immortal.

Platforming isn't that great tbh, precision jumping isn't all natural but it gets better, but not perfect, once you get the double jump with its marker. Finding upgrades and raising platforms with the center of the screen dot is cumbersome and too finicky.

Camera controls are lacking, pie chart movement only in 2019 is really weird. The way the player character both physically and visually block Trover is ridiculous. Astrobot did it sooooo much better, simply by letting the camera move with Astro and turning the controller transparent whenever Astro was beneath it. Trover fucks this up entirely. And the whole moving to certain locations and pressing R2 to move the camera is just odd, like why?

I'm having fun but it's clearly not made by a seasoned platforming team. Trover really feels like a launch title in the sense that a lot of design choices are things we've moved past already.
All very useful info - thanks for the impressions! Is this based on playing in vr, non-vr or both?

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
From what we had seen, it was clear that combat would be as simple as it gets. DMC5 was great, but expecting that depth in Trover is kind of weird.
I wasn't expecting a AAA level of combating quality. Anyway.

I beat the game 30 minutes ago, and overall, I had an okay time. I'm definitely going back for the trophies, and thankfully I got the basketball ones out of the way fairly fast. Previously mentioned issues still stand though. The Chairorpian movement is just too awkward for me, I don't see the purpose. I'm not a fan of what feels like a rehash of R&M speech patterns (and oh my god, the subtitles are full of misspelled and/or completely missing words, not to mention they bounce around and clip through characters regularly. Granted, I don't think I've ever seen a vr game do good subtitles). The insane amount of swearing got old real fast, it's super excessive. I don't mind swearing usually, I'm not some fucking pussy ass Worbler from the Travoh Galaxy, but this is on a different level, I mean FUCK, shit!

Thankfully there are also good points to make. The ending was a twist I didn't see coming (or fully understand but hey). I liked how the relationship with the probably spaceist as fuck Trover grew over the course of so few levels. Glorkon reminds me a lot of a certain Marvel villain which was sorta funny. Being able to pick up enemy weapons to use as projectiles was a nice addition. I really feel that the game respected my time and investment better than most modern games, by not overstaying its welcome, by not being even slightly overly difficult, the game is a breeze overall. The few puzzles were in general also quite friendly. The VR image quality is surprisingly top notch, I didn't even think about that until now actually! It felt completely natural on my Pro at least.

The trophies also seem nice, and I did actually enjoy their descriptions, that's more humor, especially given how far along we are with stupid trophy design these days. This had a nice commentary on a topic close to my gamer heart. Tomorrow we'll see if finding those last ~15 power babies will be a pain in my rear end.

I'm curious where the dlc will take the game. New story missions seem weird, so it's probably not that? I have no clue.

OP
OP
A Ream of Paper
Apr 8, 2018
Just finished the game a couple minutes ago. Thought it was pretty great! I think I'm going to go back to it and get the platinum trophy. Looks like it won't be that hard.

As for the DLC, I wonder if it's going to focus on
Playing as different Trovers? From what was mentioned, it seems like it could be a nice variety of content.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this as random as accounting vr? It was kinda funny but felt too "throw what we can think of" humor.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit of it outside of VR after finishing the game and I don't think I would recommend it without VR. Granted, my mind was still on the VR controllers but it didn't feel good to move around in that static space without having control over the camera movement with my head.

If you don't have VR then, by all means, please enjoy it but I really would recommend VR for this game.