• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've bought this game twice by now, but for some reason, I'm having more fun the second time on the Switch, mostly playing on handheld mode. It's a strange pseudo nostalgia, especially if you played the GB DKC games in their heyday.

Who would've thought that Retro would have such creative platforming chops? I also enjoyed the prequel, but this one is way more refined. The levels are bigger, much better music, more movement options with the addition of Funky.

We know that Retro is woking on Prime 4 now, but I would love for a final game DKCR game, finishing a trilogy, similar to the original Country series.

What did you think of this game?

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
He's my favorite Marvel character

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
You guys are worst than the gaming board when the opposite happens lol.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
518pL7aGQ-L.jpg

Was a dope flavor.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It's my favorite game on Wii U - probably the best modern 2D platformer. I really want to play it again on Switch, but I do not want to spend $60 on it and I have yet to see a reasonable sale.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I love TF but i agree that Returns did have better level design. It was also a longer game as well.
Too bad they didn't port it to the Switch. There's no definitive version. The 3DS has extra content, but it has a lower resolution and half the framerate of the original.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was the game that finally made me feel like getting a Wii U was worth it. I just expected DKCR 2 with Dixie and Cranky, and the game was so much more than just that.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
My bold prediction: Prime 4 will not match Tropical Freeze

And if I'm wrong I get a killer Metroid game so even the crow will be delicious

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
It is my favorite platformer ever with the best soundtrack I've ever heard. Returns's music is an offense to the franchise and I hope NOBODY besides David Wise touches DK music while he is alive.

DK music is so important to me that it made Returns unplayable for me.

Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece on all fronts. It is a 9.9/10 just because the extra levels are irritating and have the only bad song in the entire soundtrack (and obviously it is the one you will listen to the most).

Maybe off topic ... but I couldn't enjoy it as much on switch (not fault of the console at all). Now I have a big 65 Qled TV and motion blur absolutely kills this game. I don't remember seeing motion blur in my old little tv. So yes... a modern tv ruined my enjoyment of this game :( ... maybe motion blur is more noticeable the bigger the tv is, but it gets me dizzy to play this way and it kills the wonderful art style. (And this is supposed to have one of the best pixel response time of led tvs).

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible from every angle. The only thing that brings me down about it is that I've never successfully recommended it to someone due to its difficulty, which when I have has resulted into people putting it down and not picking it back up again. Which sucks because when you push through it is some of the most rewarding platforming ever designed.

Retro are just absolute Gods of design.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember, you could run past a flower in Returns and they'd bend from the air pressure of Donkey Kong running past, but in Tropical Freeze they wouldn't. That was a horrible downgrade and I'm just glad we had David Wise there to sooth the pain.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Broke: " OP posted in the wrong forum"
Woke: "Tropical Freeze is so good that it transcends gaming, and off-topic best recognize its magnificence"

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Absolutely incredible from every angle. The only thing that brings me down about it is that I've never successfully recommended it to someone due to its difficulty, which when I have has resulted into people putting it down and not picking it back up again. Which sucks because when you push through it is some of the most rewarding platforming ever designed.

Retro are just absolute Gods of design.

I thought (Funky mode aside) that the game gives you a TON to just get through the game. All the extra lives and bonuses and Dixie Kong and all that stuff basically ensures that even kids can get through 90% of the levels.

All the optional stuff? different story

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's hard and I put it down for a bit but I came back and really loved it.

Playing New super Mario bros U deluxe right after was so disappointing. Tropical freeze just does literally everything better

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the most outstanding 2D platforming design ever, David Wise delivers the good, and Retro's remarkable moment-to-moment platforming challenge has perfect cohesion with contextual visual elements that tell story and convey progression through backgrounds and interactive foreground set pieces. You won't find another 2D platforming series with such remarkable coherence between presentation and design. The attention to detail, and making said detail important and relevant to gameplay set pieces, is staggering.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Absolutely love this game - really fun, just the right amount of challenge and co-op is good and balanced. I really do hope we see a follow up game. Was just listening to the soundtrack this morning.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fantastic game. some of the best 2D platforming level design ever, fantastic feel and weight to characters, spot on controls, great visuals, just an all around excellent game. i'm so glad this one got ported to switch cuz otherwise i would have missed out on it.