• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Did the universe do something right for once?

Happens every now and again. Usually it's a bear or a deer taking the win from them instead, though.

From what I understand, African preserves sell hunting licenses to these trophy hunters for hundreds of thousands of dollars. That money goes to the funding of the preserve and rangers to protect the animals from poachers. The licenses are limited to specific animals that have gotten old and pose a danger (IIRC old lions are more likely to attack humans).

It's a gross activity, but the hunters are paying a vast sum of money to do a service that the African rangers would be forced to do themselves anyways.

That makes some sense but doesn't really explain the giraffes though. Plus, like, if they're rich enough to afford to hunt big game they could also afford to just donate to the reserve instead.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
MV5BNmMxYmYxM2EtY2JkZC00Zjg2LWE5MmEtNzEzNzNhMzFmYWIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

Karsha

May 1, 2020
This isn't the case of some illegal poachers or hunters, that's a legit bussiness that he pays a lot of taxes to the state for the licence, blame the governement for allowing it not the people that do it. Its a shitty practice but its legal and allowed, being murdered in the middle of the road while your car is broken just for a riffle is the fucked up thing.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
That makes some sense but doesn't really explain the giraffes though. Plus, like, if they're rich enough to afford to hunt big game they could also afford to just donate to the reserve instead.

Could be for population control, I really don't know. They could donate and I imagine some do. Again this is a situation where animals occasionally need to be put down to protect the preserve, so might as well let a rich guy pay us $500,000 to let him do it for us.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This isn't the case of some illegal poachers or hunters, that's a legit bussiness that he pays a lot of taxes to the state for the licence, blame the governement for allowing it not the people that do it. Its a shitty practice but its legal and allowed, being murdered in the middle of the road while your car is broken just for a riffle is the fucked up thing.

He could have just used that money to donate to help preserve the place instead of feeling superior by hunting animals for fun using his money as some skeleton key to do whatever he wants.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I really don't care about how much money he pays or how legal it is

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
From what I understand, African preserves sell hunting licenses to these trophy hunters for hundreds of thousands of dollars. That money goes to the funding of the preserve and rangers to protect the animals from poachers. The licenses are limited to specific animals that have gotten old and pose a danger (IIRC old lions are more likely to attack humans).

It's a gross activity, but the hunters are paying a vast sum of money to do a service that the African rangers would be forced to do themselves anyways.
This is correct. Trophy hunters are different from poachers. Trophy hunters pay a lot of money so they can shoot sick and dying animals. Then the money can be used to help the healthy members of the species. Poachers on the other hand hunt any animal illegally. You don't have to like it. But the money that is brought in is beneficial to conservation.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
If he cared he would donate the money without shooting animals

If he's willing to trophy hunt I don't care about what happens to him
He doesn't have to care about conservation, as long as the money he paid goes towards it. He could just want to shoot the animals. At least this way it is done legally and to animals that already need to be put down.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
People are more important than animals.
This man's death is being celebrated by people because he killed animals.

That is absurd, what about his family and friends? Do they deserve to deal with a murdered loved one because he hunted animals?

Sure, it's shitty to kill these animals for sport but stopping him by killing him is fucking disgusting.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
All of it is messed up, and I don't wish death on anybody, but I'd say arguably the person who chooses to pay money to kill exotic and/or endangered animals is probably the worst.

That is absurd, what about his family and friends? Do they deserve to deal with a murdered loved one because he hunted animals?

Sure, it's shitty to kill these animals for sport but stopping him by killing him is fucking disgusting.

I'm not personally celebrating his murder by any means, but it's not like he was killing deer or something.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The last person I'm about to feel sorry about for dying is some colonizer who felt entitled to his god complex by shooting big game animals to death.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida

i genuinely cannot bring myself to care about some dipshit trophy hunter getting killed

this ain't someone hunting for food getting killed here

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA

He has money to fly to Africa and kill stuff. He definitely is no angel

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Here's an interesting article on the nuance within South Africa conservation of animals (specifically here it is on elephants which are a bit of a problem...or are they?)

africageographic.com

Do we have an elephant problem? - Africa Geographic

The 'elephant problem' - ecologists, landowners and tourists are grappling with the elephant problem. But what does this mean?

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
I see apathy, no celebrating in this thread

This entire threads point is to share this mans death for some reason other than Oh its just news.

If this forum reported every death in the news there would be nothing else on this forum but posts about needless murder.

Pretending that this was posted here for anything other than "Boy howdy, this sure is interesting" is a joke.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Legality has nothing to do with a moral or ethical good.

He could have just as well used his money to donate to conservation efforts and left it at that.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This entire threads point is to share this mans death for some reason other than Oh its just news.
The guy not only spent his wealth and time just to kill animals and sell their bodies, he also organized the chance for countless others to kill animals, to get even more money out of it with "paid hunting trips". As someone who cares a lot for animals, excuse me that I honestly don't give a shit about this guy. He literally killed endangered species for years, for fun and money. Fuck him, fuck his hunting partys, and yes, I am indeed happy there's one less of these people around.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
The guy not only spent his wealth and time just to kill animals and sell their bodies, he also organized the chance for countless others to kill animals, to get even more money out of it with "paid hunting trips". As someone who cares a lot for animals, excuse me that I honestly don't give a shit about this guy. He literally killed endangered species for years, for fun and money. Fuck him, fuck his hunting partys, and yes, I am indeed happy there's one less of these people around.

Cool. But hey, if you're happy that a man's family has to deal with his death then that's on you.